Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2010, 18:06   #61
Senior - BHPian

@ragingbull: Totally agree with your last sentence! Infact I'd written the same thing and now that you have, I have nothing else to add!
This episode was undoubtedly the best of the season so far. Grint was funny, and Barrichello's lap was awesome! The E63 is such a hooligan on the track! And the four door supercars were nice, but it only made me wish that Lamborghini worked on their promise of the Estoque. The cinematography was fabulous. As James may would say, "There's no excess, no E-numbers.. it's just exquisite"
Old 12th July 2010, 20:28   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
The Rapide is too expensive for what it delivers while the Panamera is fast but hideous looking.
Obviously I have never driven any, but I always said the Maser was and still is the best of 'em all
Old 16th July 2010, 10:55   #63
Senior - BHPian

Episode 3 :

The 4-door supercars part was well done, except for the marriage bit, which seemed to be a bit overdone.

Nice "comparo" between the E63 and the Camaro, with excellent cinematography.

Rubens looks like a simple, straight forward guy to me.

Overall , an 8/10 from my side.
Old 16th July 2010, 13:05   #64
BHPian

With only 3 more episodes to go, the final episode of Top Gear is meant to be really special. A tribute to Senna which involves Lewis Hamilton and Sennas F1 car.
Old 17th July 2010, 18:49   #65
Team-BHP Support

Top Gear 15.3 couldn't have been better. Fantastic cinematography, great cars and superb dialogue. The Maserati Quattroporte, even after all these years, is oh-so-gorgeous! The Rapide isn't good enough to justify it's 140,000 Pound price tag, although it's so very tasty! And the Panamera is just a wart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post

The chemistry between the 3 seems to be dying now....
I'm sorry but I do not agree. The third episode proves otherwise!
Old 17th July 2010, 18:54   #66
Senior - BHPian

Oh my that Maser even after all these years is simply gorgeous. Begs a question actually. Why dont all those who move around in imported S500's do themselves a favor and get a Quattroporte. Its far more classier and when self driven will also give you the thrills like no other luxury saloon.
Old 17th July 2010, 21:25   #67
Senior - BHPian

I am a little old school when it comes to Top Gear, somehow I feel that the whole show has become over the top in areas it shouldn't have. That statement doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the program or that I am talking about production values (it has the best in the world cinematography). Sometimes, I miss the old program where Tiff Needell used to drive the pants of a car, Quentin Wilson would talk about vintage cars, and Jeremy would be himself, brilliant.

As a package the current trio are just as good, but the show has been lengthened to an hour, and that means putting in stuff that is, to me personally, sometimes bordering on facetious. Try as I might I can't really express this in words in a lucid enough way, sorry about that.

That being said, their Season Finale's, spectacular as they are, also invariably strike an emotional chord. Here's one of my favourites, the end of Season 13, Jeremy reviewing an Aston Vantage (it's a little wordy, don't read if you recall the episode):

Jeremy: "Well, It's an Aston Martin Vantage with a V12 engine, so what do you think it would be like?"
- Stunning visuals of the English countryside with the Aston in the picture for two minutes (with lovely music and the cars rorty exhaust note in the background).
- "It's fantastic: wonderful, wonderful, wonderful".
- Stunning visuals of the English countryside with the Aston again.

- "What it makes me feel though, is sad. Thanks to all sorts of things, like the environment, the economy, problems in the middle east, the relentless war on speed, cars like these will soon be consigned to the history books"
- A few seconds more of the English countryside.......
- "I have this horrible, dreadful feeling, that what I am driving, is an end"
- Shows some lovely pictures of old fast cars (Aston's, Lamborghini's) with this cars exhaust note in the background.
- "Good Night." - the camera pans to the car moving on the road and gradually fading away.

Tip of the hat
Old 18th July 2010, 10:18   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
I am a little old school when it comes to Top Gear, somehow I feel that the whole show has become over the top in areas it shouldn't have.
Tip of the hat
That was the epitome of Top Gear cinematography & direction. That episode was the one I liked most, especially when Jeremy remarked that driving the Aston made him sad, considering that its place would be taken by more greener, eco-mentalist 'smart' cars. The music brought tears to my eyes.
Old 18th July 2010, 21:44   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
That was the epitome of Top Gear cinematography & direction. That episode was the one I liked most, especially when Jeremy remarked that driving the Aston made him sad, considering that its place would be taken by more greener, eco-mentalist 'smart' cars. The music brought tears to my eyes.

Yes, spot on, it bought tears to my eyes as well. By the way, episode 4 for this season would be available for download (torrents)within the next 24hours.
Old 19th July 2010, 07:28   #70
Senior - BHPian

and Episode 4 lives up to Top gear Reputation..it is Hilarious.
Top gear goes camping.
Jezza gets a hot chick for a passenger.
Old 19th July 2010, 20:55   #71
Senior - BHPian

Loved the comparo between the 911 Turbo and R8 V10 cabrios!! But I'd pick neither of those. I'd rather go for the hardtop version as Jezza explained why
Old 19th July 2010, 21:18   #72
Senior - BHPian

Episode 4: Apart from the comparo it was overall boring. Some hilarious situations did arose while they were camping but still i prefer more cars than camping trip with comedy situations.

Loved the R8. Prefer the hardtop version though. The sound was awesome and excellent cinematography as always.

I saw Jeremy pour tea/coffee on to the grass when May hands over a cup to hold. I was disgusted at that. And then he throws the cup too. That's bad from my POV
Old 20th July 2010, 08:48   #73
Senior - BHPian

Top Gear is becoming more of a standup comedy show(not that i don't enjoy it) than a car show. I enjoyed episode 4 but other than the cabrio tests there was nothing about cars in that episode for that matter they have left so many nice cars untested.
Hope they do cover testing the one 77,lp570,458 italia,599GTO, 911 turbo s,911gt 2 rs,sls , ghost ,mulsanne and so many more...

All these cars have been tested by the other shows like fifth gear and autocar UK.

But I have to admit Top is still serious fun to watch.

Last edited by arjunrudra : 20th July 2010 at 09:06.
Old 20th July 2010, 11:13   #74
Senior - BHPian

Ep4 was as good as ep3. I usually skip the challenges but this one was good fun to watch. So this season is getting better and better.

@ Arjunrudra : I guess that's what it is all about. I don't think TG can claim to be a serious car show at all, because they hardly test any practical cars that the junta buys. But then I guess that's their USP !!
Old 20th July 2010, 16:49   #75
Senior - BHPian

Top Gear is a Comedy show involving cars. I guess thats the apt definition.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks