Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2009, 12:59   #106
Senior - BHPian

How can you guys talk of the panemera in the same breath as the Aston, pan is such an ugly duckling and not in the same league, estoque on the other hand is the only true competitor, can't wait for both to be released soon.
Old 9th October 2009, 13:53   #107
Senior - BHPian

Truely spectacular. Out of the Estoque, Panamera and the Rapide. The Rapide gets my vote. The charm and the design is so intact that it hardly feels like its a four door. Porsche sure could use some tips in retaining the coupe looks by adding doors. I am sure we would see a few off the Rapides on Indian roads soon, with Aston entering the market.
Old 9th October 2009, 18:59   #108
v10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
How can you guys talk of the panemera in the same breath as the Aston, pan is such an ugly duckling and not in the same league, estoque on the other hand is the only true competitor, can't wait for both to be released soon.
just for kicks, why would you say the panamera is not in the same league as the aston?

I know the aston is undoubtedly the most beautiful car in the segment and was my favorite car till recently too in that segment.

But i had a change of opinion when i say the panamera here on tuesday. Well it looks much better in flesh but not as good as the rapide.

Porsche technology is bound to be more superior and so is the reliabliity.

The interior was extremely good as expected and driving position too.

The rapide on the other hand seems slow if we talk of performance.

0-60 - 5.2 vs 4.2 secs for the porsche

the estoque on the other hand isnt even out yet.

I consider the panamera, rapide in one league and the FSS and Maser Quattroporte in another.

The rapide is better looking but the panamera is the real performer. Only if the panamera was around 1 Cr it would be an excellent deal. overpriced imo.
Old 9th October 2009, 20:25   #109
Senior - BHPian

Just a question. If you did have the money, would you rather buy a traditional Aston sports car like the DB9 or the Vantage or whatever or buy this? Clearly, the chap who buys this kind of car will have no dearth of other cars in his garage that can do the job of a sedan extremely well. So would it be this four seater Rapide (or Panamera or the Estoque) or would it be a regular Aston?
Old 11th October 2009, 10:35   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Just a question. If you did have the money, would you rather buy a traditional Aston sports car like the DB9 or the Vantage or whatever or buy this? Clearly, the chap who buys this kind of car will have no dearth of other cars in his garage that can do the job of a sedan extremely well. So would it be this four seater Rapide (or Panamera or the Estoque) or would it be a regular Aston?
Well as you said if you had the money, Aston Martin coupe usually figures as a 3rd or a 4th coupe but usually not the first, ferraris and lamborghinis come as the first pick, hence this would prove to be a great option for someone who wants a sports car feel but has a kid or 2, I can not get that from any other sedan, ghost is boring, phantom, flying spur, arnage/mulsane, quatraporte all are boring, so rapide and estoque are the only 2 currently that can fill that gap in the exotic segment as CLS did in the non exotic segment.

See I did not mention panemera
Old 11th October 2009, 10:59   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10 View Post
just for kicks, why would you say the panamera is not in the same league as the aston?
that's just how it is in the exotic category, Porsche is not an exotic brand like the Aston.

Quote:
But i had a change of opinion when i saw the panamera here on tuesday. Well it looks much better in flesh but not as good as the rapide.
well I'll wait until I see it, but I can't imagine it looking any better, rapide is like brad Pitt and panamera is like gorge lopez

Quote:
Porsche technology is bound to be more superior and so is the reliabliity.
well I don't know about that, Porsche only has a perception of better build quality and tech, I do feel newer astons are leaps and bounds ahead.

Quote:
The interior was extremely good as expected and driving position too.
as expected? Porsche have the worst interiors of any semi exotic type brand, hell even Infiniti, Lexus, Acura make better interiors.

Quote:
The rapide on the other hand seems slow if we talk of performance.

0-60 - 5.2 vs 4.2 secs for the porsche
well 4.2 is for the turbo version, and we don't know if rapide R would ever be released rivaling this figure from Porsche.

Quote:
the estoque on the other hand isnt even out yet.
I truely hope it comes out soon, I feel it will be a game changer for lamborghinis.

Quote:
I consider the panamera, rapide in one league and the FSS and Maser Quattroporte in another.
That's personal for sure but I doubt many would consider Porsche and astons in the same league.

Quote:
The rapide is better looking but the panamera is the real performer. Only if the panamera was around 1 Cr it would be an excellent deal. overpriced imo.
I don't know, until I see it, I would never consider buying one and I bet it will flop bad in india.

Last edited by 1Day : 11th October 2009 at 11:11.
Old 11th October 2009, 18:38   #112
v10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
that's just how it is in the exotic category, Porsche is not an exotic brand like the Aston.

--- Bro, we are talking panamera vs Rapide not porsche vs aston. It is the product which counts in the end.

--- Moreover, saying something like 'Porsche is not an exotic brand' does not make any sense. Astons might be more 'exclusive' but that doesnt mean porshaa's arent exotic.

well I'll wait until I see it, but I can't imagine it looking any better, rapide is like brad Pitt and panamera is like gorge lopez

--- I agree with you on that one. the aston is better looking on the outside. that said, the panamera is starting to grow on me but the aston still looks the best and scores on exterior styling.

as expected? Porsche have the worst interiors of any semi exotic type brand, hell even Infiniti, Lexus, Acura make better interiors.

--- lol. Thats just pushing it man. Porsches have THE best interiors in the segment. nothing changes that. i dont know where that came from.

And as far as porsche tech is concerned it is years ahead of astons.

There is a saying/suggestion in the automotive industry for quite some time now - "Dont buy an aston till it has been in production for atleast 3 years". Astons sell on Looks, sound, exclusivity. Tech and performance are better left to brands like porsche.

well 4.2 is for the turbo version, and we don't know if rapide R would ever be released rivaling this figure from Porsche.

--- Lets talk of what is in the market and not speculate 'X model might be launched by X company and might have X figures'

The panamera turbo currently smokes the rapide.

I truely hope it comes out soon, I feel it will be a game changer for lamborghinis.

--- Yes it should be pretty sick.

I don't know, until I see it, I would never consider buying one and I bet it will flop bad in india.
13 cars booked before the delhi launch with 10 potential bookings - only for mumbai.

Dont know about delhi figures.
Attached Thumbnails
Aston Martin DB9 Sedan - Rapide - Production Version - Video & Photos on Pg 7-3951231589_dc58a661c1_b.jpg  

Old 11th October 2009, 22:42   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Why do the doors open at an upward angle?
Quote:
and i think the door angle is common acrross all models. i've seen the same tech on Vantages too.
The four 'swan wing' doors open up and out at 12 degrees avoiding scuffs and scratches when parked next to a raised walkway, while serving the dual purpose of allowing easier access to the front and rear cabin. The opening angle of the doors has been increased to 70 degrees to allow easy ingress and egress.(from the Rapide press release)
Old 12th October 2009, 11:29   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
13 cars booked before the delhi launch with 10 potential bookings - only for mumbai.

Dont know about delhi figures.
Well even as a product the Rapide is pitched higher than the lowly panamera, surely we can compare products, but thats as enthusiasts, but from marketing perspective, I do not see aston or anyone else considering panamera is the same league as Rapide.

Having said that, I have driven and even owned porsches and never felt anything special in the porsche interiors, they are bland from the look of it, and ok from the quality, see a slightly used porsche, they start to really show age soon. Porsche doesnt know how to build good looking interiors(or cars for that matter), thats a very well known fact. India might be a different place, but porsche overall are not considered anything special in the US.

Other than GT3RS, GT2 or CGT, no one in the US or europe considers porsche exotic, even GT2 doesnt come in that exotic category, so overall porsche is not exotic, to be deemed exotic, you have to be have low volumes, which porsche doesnt do.

Trying to compare products that are out right now in performance, without actually trying to compare them in their space, is not the best way to go, its like saying Mustang GT500 will kick camaro V6's @$$, ofcourse it will, it was not designed to compete like that, if you were to compare a Z28 with the GT500, then it makes sense.

Well I have many friends who own porsche and they all complain about quality, I even have friends who own astons and they complained about quality as well, but not since the vantage came out, they have become a whole lot better in that respect, you are talking about when ford owned aston.

Placing orders initially in delhi and bombay is a fad and it will pass and some of those will get cancelled, but then again in india, people buy products, not because they are nice, but because it is a status symbol and also because they do not have that much of an option. Indians buying habbits change every quickly.

I have not seen a good response from the massive porsche community, and I dont expect the true enthusiasts liking this creation. If it looked different, it would be a different story.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks