Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2013, 23:32   #46
BHPian

Re: 2013 F1 - Santander British Grand Prix @ Silverstone

My thoughts :

1. The real reason for the tyres bursting wasn't clear. There are 3 possibilities :
a. Pirelli to be blamed for weak construction.
b. Kerb hitting and damaging the tyre, hence the stay away from kerbs warning by various teams.
c. Teams under inflated the tyres to get more performance and hence the bursting. A few teams increased the pressure by 2 psi as precaution. Pirelli recommends minimum 18-19 psi.

If A above is found true then, Pirelli and/or FIA are now taking this "degrading tyre" thing to extremes now. It's become a safety issue. Pirelli already have had a lot of Bad PR in the previous 2 weeks, now they got icing on the cake.

If B if found true then expect more bad press for Charlie Whiting as it's his job to inspect the Track before the weekend and give the go ahead.

Even though the tyre bursts made the race exciting to watch, but the safety of drivers was compromised. Drivers had to take instant action to avoid the debris from the tyre burst. Alonso did just that when Perez's tyre let go.

2. Ferrari don't have qualifying pace on saturday and today were just lucky due to Vettel and Hamilton. Alonso said the same. Ferrari will soon have to decide soon if they want to concentrate on 2013 car and bring more updates or commit themselves to 2014 car because Vettel looks seriously faster than Alonso.

3. Mercedes look to have sorted their tyre issues. Today was unexceptionally hot and yet Rosberg was holding off Webber in the final few laps. If they continue like this, Rosberg/Hamilton will become serious challengers to Vettel instead of Alonso/Kimi.

4. Paul Di Resta seems to be paying for all the bad karma of his Team Principal. Thrice in 3 races he has had to start from back of the grid. Twice the team bungled during qualifying and when he did qualify high up in this race, his car was found to be underweight and he got no time.

5. Hulkenberg will be wondering why he joined Sauber and quit Force India. Force India has looked much much faster than the Sauber and have been consistent in their pace and are scrapping with McLaren and Lotus, while the Sauber is fighting the Williams and Torro Russo.

6. Didn't see any impact of the Passive Double DRS that Kimi was running on his car v/s the single DRS of Grosjean. Webber was hit by Grosjean (again) and the resulting melee delayed Alonso at the start. As a result, Massa was upto 5th while Alonso was 10th. Massa's 6th finish should do him a world of good.
Turbo_Charger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2013, 23:40   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

How did pappu tyre wala get into f1?
I know f1 is low in tolerances, but for god's sake, this is the pits(puntended).

I was shot when hammys tyre blew, but the sc and some inspired racing by him after that. The law of averages finally touched vettel, albeit, slightly.
Killer moment was massa's avoidance of the blown tyre in front of him.

McLaren...... hoo boy. Perez put on quite a good show this time around, so, unfortunate .

Exciting, inspite of the tyre sham.
Old 1st July 2013, 08:58   #48
Senior - BHPian

Exciting British GP, Pirelli did spice up things quite a bit, Mercedes would have run away with a 1-2 otherwise

The tyre bursts was more to do with the low tyre pressure that teams were running. This picture of Vettel's tyre shows how much of the creamy rubber was lost in the process. If Vettel had stayed out for one more lap, he would have said 'Good Bye' quite early in the race.

2013 F1 - Santander British Grand Prix @ Silverstone-1016137_837125959708280_1703762275_n.jpg

Massa did an excellent start and he was in a position to be on the podium if the Pirelli didnt give away that early in the race.

Why is it that Webber does so bad at the start, he was angry over the radio during the first SC about whatever happened with his car at the start, an extra lap in the end would have got Webber the 2nd victory in Silverstone.

The most exciting bit was Alonso & Hamilton's chase to the podium with fresh tyres after the last pitstop. Alonso gets more close to Vettel now in the Championship points!

Finally, did anyone notice ICEMAN's new hair do at the British GP!

That looks like a falcon theme to me, right?

2013 F1 - Santander British Grand Prix @ Silverstone-bn25zxdccaa2sby.jpg
Old 1st July 2013, 09:09   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post

Finally, did anyone notice ICEMAN's new hair do at the British GP!

That looks like a falcon theme to me, right?

Attachment 1104584
No. it's a chameleon. Man that's pretty crazy.
Old 1st July 2013, 09:41   #50
Senior - BHPian

Did Google that and found the source of inspiration for Kimi

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...rd-haircut.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Old 1st July 2013, 09:42   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Charger View Post
c. Teams under inflated the tyres to get more performance and hence the bursting. A few teams increased the pressure by 2 psi as precaution. Pirelli recommends minimum 18-19 psi.
From my experience working with a racing team, Pirelli should have tire engineers working with each of the teams who is responsible to provide preconisation to the team which basically explains wear rate with camber and tire pressure or something similar in nature. This is supposed to be different for each track. In short, if it is case c, it is still Pirelli's fault. It can be a problem with preco or they did not get their word to the team in a commanding way.

My two cents/paise

Last edited by godspd : 1st July 2013 at 09:48.
godspd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 10:09   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by godspd View Post
From my experience working with a racing team, Pirelli should have tire engineers working with each of the teams who is responsible to provide preconisation to the team which basically explains wear rate with camber and tire pressure or something similar in nature. This is supposed to be different for each track. In short, if it is case c, it is still Pirelli's fault. It can be a problem with preco or they did not get their word to the team in a commanding way.

My two cents/paise
WOW. An authority in the thread!? Good to have you here.

Please tell us the science behind the serial bursts today, or what you make of it/why you think it happened.

What I want to know is why is it the rear left on all cars ? I have heard a sharp chicane was ripping up the tire, but that should have happened to the front left too right?
Old 1st July 2013, 10:30   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
What I want to know is why is it the rear left on all cars ? I have heard a sharp chicane was ripping up the tire, but that should have happened to the front left too right?
I guess I was just trying to explain case c to the best of my knowledge which was not answered earlier. No one will know what went wrong until we have an official report from Pirelli. All we can really do is contemplate different scenarios. At this point it can be Pirelli, circuit or both. Remember the front and rear tires are loaded differently, so what is causing the rear tire to fail might not even affect the front.
godspd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 10:39   #54
Senior - BHPian

Gary Anderson's view on tire failures

Pirelli have been making big news for all the wrong reasons. I am surprised Paul Hembry still has his job or Pirelli still want the contract for next few years.
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 10:47   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godspd View Post

My two cents/paise
Thank for your professional input : ).
As I understand the current relationship Pirelli has with the teams is how it's always been, since they entered F1 before all these incidents, was it not simply the use of steel instead of kevlar on the insides that caused these 'unstable' tyres?
Old 1st July 2013, 11:30   #56
BANNED

^^^ It makes perfect sense...Lewis had the burst right after the turn.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/videos/36...-tyre-failure/
Old 1st July 2013, 11:55   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Is Kimi indicating to the world that he is going to change colours ?

Will black become violet-purple . Let's wait and watch.

Btw, the punctures yesterday were happening like clockwork. Looks like some quick-fix puncturewala shop setup his shop near the famous chicanes and installed nails on the kerbs.

Jokes apart, this is what happens if you push commercial agenda too much into the racing. This kind of tyre dominated races are Mr.E's great idea along with sprinklers along the track and once a race shortcut ticket (thank god, have not been implemented).
None of the drivers like this, none of the teams want this kind of show. Why do you have to put up with so much of muck. Cutting the golden goose called F1 is a pathetic idea.
Old 1st July 2013, 12:03   #58
Senior - BHPian

Chaotic race.. and finally the Red Bull breaks!
Mercedes have solved their tire issues and now are a force to reckon with during the race.

Blowouts - This seems to be a kerb issue (only), as issues were focused on left rears and Gary Anderson has I think identified the kerb in question. But then we should have had some blowouts in the dry practice sessions as well?
Old 1st July 2013, 12:46   #59
BHPian

The tires issue, while dangerous for the drivers, made things exciting. Amazed at Hamilton's ability to move up and down the places, as if he had a "cheat code"!
I fail to understand SFI just not able to keep up with the rest of the cars - Sutil just kept losing pace - was it car? Engine? Tires? Skill?
Alonso's last few laps was seat gripping stuff! Too good. Overall good race. Was hankering for rain, it would have increased the excitement.
Old 1st July 2013, 12:49   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post

WOW. An authority in the thread!? Good to have you here.

Please tell us the science behind the serial bursts today, or what you make of it/why you think it happened.

Could it be because the front was just rolling over the kerb , while the rear was pushing against it under power???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks