Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2014, 07:55   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Ferrari still running the MGU-K at 30% below capacity at Sepang. Hope to get to 80% usage in Bahrain.

So gremlins still being sorted out.

Wonder why they are down on Top speed - has to be aero (drag) or gearing doesnt it? Or is it only due to being down on power - ERS?
Lesser power and the fixed gear ratios are screwing up the plot I guess. I've not seen anyone use 8th gear so far. Till last year, you could have a slightly lower power but still survive with a cleverly designed track-specific gear ratio and a better aero package.

Last edited by zenren : 1st April 2014 at 08:00.
Old 1st April 2014, 08:10   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
ROFL Moment of 2014, 'Bottas is faster than you'.

What an unfair crybaby he has been, crying to his team earlier on to keep Bottas away from attacking him and later choosing to ignore his team! I am glad the team used the exact same words on the radio
I didn't understand what Williams are fussing about. If Bottas is faster, then why wasnt he able to pass by himself ? Why should Massa wave him by?

Sepang is a super wide circuit with more than one fast line and with DRS it should be a piece of cake to pass if he was faster and on fresher tires.

Massa won fair & square IMO
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 08:48   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I didn't understand what Williams are fussing about. If Bottas is faster, then why wasnt he able to pass by himself ? Why should Massa wave him by?

Sepang is a super wide circuit with more than one fast line and with DRS it should be a piece of cake to pass if he was faster and on fresher tires.
Even Massa had DRS because he was right behind Button. So he could use DRS to defend his position from Bottas, though he couldn't overtake Button ahead who didn't have DRS.

Bottas being on fresher tyres could have forced Massa to defend more by being more aggressive but it would result in Massa destroying his tyres entirely and possibly enabling Magnussen and other drivers behind to pass him within a couple of laps. Remember 2012 Chinese GP where Kimi dropped from P2 to P14 in a couple of laps just because he moved off the racing line while trying to defend his position with Vettel.

For Williams as a constructor, the total points from the weekend would be considerably reduced if Bottas races Massa and it results in Massa dropping outside of the points.

Last edited by zenren : 1st April 2014 at 08:50.
Old 1st April 2014, 09:55   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVS View Post
I was there for the qualifiers as well as the main race, and here are some of the pics:
How was the sound of the new F1 cars? I know you didn't attend a V8 era race but is it better than what we hear on TV as most people say?
Old 1st April 2014, 10:58   #65
Senior - BHPian

Bottas after his final stop, was faster than Massa and he could close the 5.6sec gap between him & Massa to under 2secs in 4 laps. Bottas was clearly faster, while Massa was behind Button and he had DRS (for couple of laps) but couldn't pass Button and running a poor pace. The team informed Massa before Bottas got too close to pass Massa as time was running out in the race and did not want Bottas to be held up fighting Massa.

It was obvious that Bottas had the pace to fight Button if he had passed Massa with less dramas and have few more laps to make attempts and overtake Button. If Bottas did gain the position, it means more constructor points for Williams. For a team that is struggling financially, more constructor points in the bag was a bigger need than an option to let their drivers fight.

It was the same case in the first stint when Bottas was attacking Massa, Massa cried over the radio to his team to cool off Bottas's attack and let Massa do his race. The team obliged and instructed Bottas to hold position, when the team was in need of some constructor points towards the end of the race, Massa's spine got stronger and did not want to yield but cry of team orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

Massa won fair & square IMO
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 11:45   #66
PVS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
How was the sound of the new F1 cars? I know you didn't attend a V8 era race but is it better than what we hear on TV as most people say?
Compared to the V8 era, the sound was pretty much muted this time (In the V6 era). There were a lot of folks in the circuit trying to sell ear plugs, but frankly, after spending two days in the circuit, IMHO, the sound is quite bearable..
Old 1st April 2014, 18:04   #67
Senior - BHPian

Race review lists the reason for 3 retirements as "power loss"

That's a new reason and I guess the complex electronics is catching up everywhere including in this list.

BTW, the most crucial finishing position from this race might be Kobayashi's 13th. Unless Marussia can match it sometime this season, this will give Caterham the 10th place in constructors.
Old 1st April 2014, 18:22   #68
BHPian

Hi Guys, I attended Malaysian GP. Though the race was boring, I enjoyed shooting the cars. I was sitting at the Turn1 where most of the action was happening. It rained cats and dogs just before qualifying as you know.

Race was organized well. With good events like GameZone with static simulator. We played couple of times.

My view from the GrandStand at turn1.

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-img_2048.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-img_2053.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-img_2063.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-img_2084.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-img_2098.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-img_2106.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-img_2131.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-img_2108.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-img_2118.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-img_2121.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-img_2144.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-img_2153.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-img_2165.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-img_2178.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-img_2204.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-img_2214.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-img_2226.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-img_2232.jpg

Old teammates having a go at each other.

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-img_2653.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-img_2654.jpg
arun_kun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 18:22   #69
Senior - BHPian

Was Massa in Button's DRS zone? I was not able to see it in my TV screen. I saw the 2 Williams one behind the other. Maybe Button had pulled away

But still, my point is valid. If Bottas was so fast that he caught up with Massa he should be able to pass by himself. Sepang being so wide is not a track where you can block easily.....I did not even see Bottas TRY ??

If Massa had destroyed his tires, then it should be even easier for Bottas.

So...not convinced! (never for team orders either)

Nett Nett...if Bottas doesn't have the balls to pass Massa, no way he's gonna pass a McLaren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Even Massa had DRS because he was right behind Button. So he could use DRS to defend his position from Bottas, though he couldn't overtake Button ahead who didn't have DRS.

Bottas being on fresher tyres could have forced Massa to defend more by being more aggressive but it would result in Massa destroying his tyres entirely and possibly enabling Magnussen and other drivers behind to pass him within a couple of laps. Remember 2012 Chinese GP where Kimi dropped from P2 to P14 in a couple of laps just because he moved off the racing line while trying to defend his position with Vettel.

For Williams as a constructor, the total points from the weekend would be considerably reduced if Bottas races Massa and it results in Massa dropping outside of the points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Bottas after his final stop, was faster than Massa and he could close the 5.6sec gap between him & Massa to under 2secs in 4 laps. Bottas was clearly faster, while Massa was behind Button and he had DRS (for couple of laps) but couldn't pass Button and running a poor pace. The team informed Massa before Bottas got too close to pass Massa as time was running out in the race and did not want Bottas to be held up fighting Massa.

It was obvious that Bottas had the pace to fight Button if he had passed Massa with less dramas and have few more laps to make attempts and overtake Button. If Bottas did gain the position, it means more constructor points for Williams. For a team that is struggling financially, more constructor points in the bag was a bigger need than an option to let their drivers fight.

It was the same case in the first stint when Bottas was attacking Massa, Massa cried over the radio to his team to cool off Bottas's attack and let Massa do his race. The team obliged and instructed Bottas to hold position, when the team was in need of some constructor points towards the end of the race, Massa's spine got stronger and did not want to yield but cry of team orders.

Last edited by Mpower : 1st April 2014 at 18:24.
Old 1st April 2014, 18:32   #70
BHPian

Quali and FP3 pics:

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0226.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0227.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0228.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0229.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0230.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0231.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0232.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0233.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0225.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0224.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0234.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0235.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0236.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0240.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0241.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0243.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0242.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0244.jpg
arun_kun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 18:38   #71
Senior - BHPian

Interesting race with some good overtaking moves. Ricciardo's move on Vettel at turn 2 and turn 3 was very impressive. Mercedes look ever so dominant. Well done to Hamilton, he really showed his class. Effortless drive under not so comfortable conditions.

Sad to see the Ferrari's struggle so much. If its true that they aren't running on full power yet then that is a bit of relief or its going to be an extremely boring season for the tifosi's. Had Kimi not been bumped by Magnussen, he could have maybe finished in the top 6. He had finally found his sweet spot in Practise. The wet qualifying caught him off-guard. Come race day, he would have really finished strongly. Rookie error really cost him the race. The salt on the wound was Magnussen running for that many extra laps with a broken wing and being lucky enough to finish in the points.

Red Bull have done well in bluffing most of us. The car still stands as the benchmark and once their software issues are solved. I think Vettel could well be going for his 5th title. Come Europe, the gap to Mercedes will be practically nothing I predict.
Old 1st April 2014, 18:44   #72
BHPian

Race action pics at turn1.

Race Start. It was exhilarating to watch from the turn1.

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0250.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0251.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0252.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0285.jpg

Dog fight for the turn

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0286.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0287.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0288.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0289.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0290.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0291.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0292.jpg

Battle between Massa and Bottas

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0293.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0294.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0295.jpg

Kimi fighting with the back markers. It was terrible to watch KIMI in that position and getting lapped by the front runners.

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0296.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0249.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0297.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0298.jpg

2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0299.jpg

Kimi vs Romain
2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread-dpp_0300.jpg
arun_kun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 20:24   #73
BHPian

Apparently KIMI had damaged his floor and his DRS was also not working during the race. Hope the parts for KIMI to make the car front end pointy arrive in Bahrain.
Old 2nd April 2014, 01:09   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun View Post
Kimi vs Romain
I read elsewhere that Kimi mentioned that he had overtaken Romain, but Romian claimed the place back, hitting Kimi's car in the process. Did you happen to see any of that?
Old 2nd April 2014, 06:38   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I read elsewhere that Kimi mentioned that he had overtaken Romain, but Romian claimed the place back, hitting Kimi's car in the process. Did you happen to see any of that?
In the pic I posted, they have almost touched and KIMI ran little wide and Romain took over the place again. May be he is referring to that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks