Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2018, 06:27   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Formula 1: The 2018 Italian Grand Prix

Renault launched complaint against Haas over some illegal modification, which focuses on the radius of the leading corners of the floor’s reference plane. After the race, the Haas was checked an disqualified.
Haas and Renault both had 84 points, Haas being P4 based on highest position achieved. Now Haas is eight points behind.
Racing Point moves to P7 in championship in just two races.
The Haas disqualification also moved Sirotkin into points, earning him first Formula 1 championship points.

Interestingly, if we add Perez and Ocon's points, Force India could have become fourth best team in its former guise, leaving Renault 7 points behind.
Old 3rd September 2018, 08:29   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
I though it was rather well planned and executed. ....I mean, Bottas kept him behind on 25+ lap old supersofts.
Yes, Ferrari won the battle with that pit stop, but lost the war. Came in a bit too early, peaked early, ruined the fresh set of tyres by attacking too much to cover Lewis who could afford to throw his old tyres away.

Yeah, Kimi should have cleared Bottas ASAP for the strategy to work. But, hindsight is 20/20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
What?
That's the pinnacle of sportsmanship. To compete at your highest, your best, and make the other guy out-compete you.
LOL. No need to be in such shock! I wrote that in the thick of the moment. The idea of Kimi being on the top step at the best podium in world after 5 years really wrecked me. And Mercedes had said, they will employ team orders only after Monza before the race.

Anyways, its water under the bridge. Mercedes did what they they did for the win. That's why they are the world champions! Essentially what I wrote which you haven't quoted. This call came at the expense of Bottas and I think they would have gotten that 1, 2 otherwise.

Kudos to them for bagging these super important points when the car is not performing 10/10.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 08:38   #33
Team-BHP Support

Very disheartening to see Vettel in the situation that he was; although, to finish 5th (discounting the time penalty for Verstappen) after that first lap mess is commendable. I can only imagine Hamilton's antics had it been him that spun out in the first lap clash!

30 points might just end up being too much given that there's only seven races left.

Oh, and the Ferrari with DRS is a beast!
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 08:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

Vettel simply panicked. I somehow feel that a sense of entitlement has crept in to his mindset. He thinks he can be aggressive and other won't mess with him.
Really disappointing race for me. Atleast Kimi should have won. Hamilton's lead is now looking insurmountable.

Last edited by ajmat : 3rd September 2018 at 14:48. Reason: minor typo
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 09:01   #35
Team-BHP Support

I feel Vettel is just making too many mistakes. He doesn't have the consistency of Lewis. Lewis hasn't had too many mistakes and whatever incidents have happened with him are usually some contact with Vettel like yesterday or reliability issues he had a couple of times.

IT's the same story with Ferrari strategy. They seem to have a great car but the strategy not consistent. Kimi should have won and even though he blamed the tyres, I think it's the strategy that went wrong of making him pit early.

Ofcourse he didn't have a team mate and was left to fight 2 Mercedes on his own. Mercedes also didn't hold back any punches and used Bottas as a moving chicane.

If you actually look closely at all the races. It's Kimi who has been consistent vs Vettel. Only due to team orders, has Vettel remained in front in the points. If it wasn't Kimi would be ahead with a better chance due to his consistency.

As someone mentioned Vettel expects others to move out or not challenge him. If you see the battle between Kimi and Lewis, it was clean. One car always knew where the other car was. Vettel knew Hamilton was alongside and still did nothing to avoid, but blamed Lewis for the contact. He expected Lewis to move when he was in the vulnerable position.

Secondly you have 53 laps in front of you. Why throw it away on lap 1. Yes Lewis was aggressive and he even got past Kimi on the restart but Kimi fought back. Kimi could have binned it by not letting Lewis past but he didn't.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 09:02   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Vettel and Kimi are my two favourite drivers*, so I was a little disappointed at Vettel behaving like a deer in headlights when Hamilton attacked (disappointed, though not surprised, it is now becoming a trait for Vettel).

Although that emotion was nothing compared how I felt when Hamilton overtook Kimi - I was so wishing for him to win, and it seemed quite possible until Mercedes left Bottas out for a pincer move. On a car-to-car basis, Kimi would have won, but he was quite helpless when outnumbered in such a way.

* Funnily enough, Ferrari is quite low on the list of teams I like, though Arrivabene's leadership is changing my opinion.
Old 3rd September 2018, 09:49   #37
BHPian

Disappointing end to the weekend!!! Vettel should have raced clean on lap 1, should have lived to fight another day. Having Lewis ahead but behind Kimi, this would have made Merc be more strategic about pitting Lewis as they had to defend against two cars.

It was shameful to see "Wingman" in play again, I think his 2 year extension has a clause that he will be Lewis's "Wingman" till Lewis drives. All those who are saying that it was great strategy by Merc, think would you have the same reaction if Kimi did it for Vettel. Nobody connects with Bottas (No Achievement to his name) as of yet so people are fine with him being the wingman. If Merc hadn't used Bottas to back Kimi up, no ways Lewis was going to beat Kimi. Ferrari had beaten them fair and square in pit battle. They didn't predict Merc not pitting Bottas and making him a moving chicance.

Great Drive by Verstappen. His defense against Bottas was clean, the move that he was penalised for was completely legal. He had left Bottas enough space. But then he was dealing with Merc, how could he be spared.

Anyways the season is still 7 races long and it is not over till it is completely over. So Vettel lives to fight at Singapore and not make the blunder he made last year.
ferrarirules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 11:04   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hamilton is lucky to have won despite the flawed strategy. Keeping him out for so much longer was crazy - the gap to Kimi (after Kimi's pitstop) dropped from 22.50 seconds to 18! Considering he was putting in fastest lap after fastest lap when Kimi pitted, Lewis had a very good chance of coming out ahead.

I think it was cheap of Mercedes and detrimental to the brand to keep Bottas out like that to slow down Kimi. That's just not Mercedes in my opinion. Sad.

Overall though, an amazing action packed race. Loved it. Hamilton has a huge points advantage, but hey, there are 7 races left. In F1, it isn't over till it's over. 1 DNF could change the way the wind blows.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 11:09   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
IT's the same story with Ferrari strategy. They seem to have a great car but the strategy not consistent. Kimi should have won and even though he blamed the tyres, I think it's the strategy that went wrong of making him pit early.
I think Mercedes strategy has been their strong point. Yesterday Ferrari failed to call Mercedes bluff. LH pit crew was outside and this prompted Ferrari to pit Kimi. As soon as Kimi pitted LH pit crew just went inside. An incredible bluff that should not have worked. If only Kimi had stayed out longer he could have defended much better. Kimi was very skill-full(and extremely lucky) in getting that tyre across the finish line.
Attached Thumbnails
Formula 1: The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-kktqkym.jpg  

nair is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 12:33   #40
BHPian

Wow lot of salty Ferrari fans over here.
After a long time it was an exiting race for the win.

Mercedes dishing out the same tactics Ferrari has been employing for decades was icing on the cake.

Cherry on the cake was Mercedes rubbing it through their message "formation lap for their Italian colleagues" which was pay back for the Ferrari's Silverstone message "In their backyard"

Its good banter between the teams. Enjoying this season.

I wish Alonso was driving this Ferrari he would have been ahead in WDC points by a mile to Hamilton
Chalu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 12:58   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
I think Mercedes strategy has been their strong point. Yesterday Ferrari failed to call Mercedes bluff. LH pit crew was outside and this prompted Ferrari to pit Kimi. As soon as Kimi pitted LH pit crew just went inside. An incredible bluff that should not have worked. If only Kimi had stayed out longer he could have defended much better. Kimi was very skill-full(and extremely lucky) in getting that tyre across the finish line.
Where's the rest of the tyre???

How in the world did he manage to drive with those tyres. If it was Vettel or Lewis they would have been cribbing about tyres every turn.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 13:51   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If it was Vettel or Lewis they would have been cribbing about tyres every turn.
Isn't that why so many love Kimi (that and his dead-pan one liners). After this crazy (who else would say "I was taking a sh*t" on camera) Finn retires F1 viewership will temporarily drop 20%, maybe more.

Sehwag - I see ball, I hit it.
Kimi - I get car, I drive it

You can't help but love anyone who has this attitude.

Last edited by navin : 3rd September 2018 at 13:56.
navin is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 14:13   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How in the world did he manage to drive with those tyres.
Kimi to Vidyuth: "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing"
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 14:52   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
Wow lot of salty Ferrari fans over here.
After a long time it was an exiting race for the win.

Its good banter between the teams. Enjoying this season.
You nailed it bro. Ferrai was doing same with Irvine (earlier) and Barrichello during ultra successful Schumacher era. Then Kimi was asked to move for Vettel also sometimes. Formula 1 is a team game please.

I really enjoyed the race. When those 5 lights go the brain of LH and SV works very differently. SV could have waited for next lap behind LH's gearbox for tow to turn 1 & 2. Bottas strategy was perfect. He finished on Podium as he was wishing.

Then some people were saying Verstappen's penalty was harsh.

Formula 1: The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-max-bot.jpg

So this is how you give enough room, right? Also he cut the Turn 1 chicane few laps earlier and gained 3 seconds lead when Bottas was following in DRS range.

Vettel was bragging so much when taking that flag from Silverstone to Maranello but now searching frantically for their Red flag back in Monza.

Now back to Singapore. Surely Ferrai will have an upper hand there.

Cheers!

Last edited by myavu : 3rd September 2018 at 14:55.
Old 3rd September 2018, 15:00   #45
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

There is a reason Verstappen is called Crashtappen or the new Maldonado.
This isn't the first time he is doing it.

Here is all the Verstappen videos

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks