Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2018, 21:25   #61
BHPian

Re: Formula 1: The 2018 Italian Grand Prix

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
If they had fresh super softs, they'd have swapped that on the 2nd stop no? I think he exhausted the super softs over the weekend. Mediums would have been a much slower strategy. Having spun out on lap 1, this was the best he could have achieved without a SC or VSC to help.
The regulations say that they have to return 7 sets of tires by the time qualifying is over which means that Seb should have had at least 3 sets of Super Softs in hand on Sunday morning (worst case scenario, assuming he did not return the two mediums and the one set of soft tires). FP1 running was mininmal because of the rains, so if he really managed to exhaust all 10 (or even 9) sets by Saturday evening then Ferrari competency really needs to be questioned. They opted for 10 sets of supersofts to go aggressive and they should have stayed true to the plan.

PS: I made a booboo, Seb's second stint was on softs and not mediums as I had mentioned in my earlier post.
Old 5th September 2018, 09:25   #62
Senior - BHPian

A new version of news is coming out that Kimi was told about no contract extension,before the race and that he didn't allow Vettel to come out after him in Q3.

https://thesportsrush.com/reports-ra...y-ferrari/amp/

I think this relates to the radio transmission when Vettel said 'we will talk later' after announcing that he was P2 and that Kimi was P1

Last edited by F150 : 5th September 2018 at 09:54.
Old 5th September 2018, 10:10   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
A new version of news is coming out that Kimi was told about no contract extension,before the race and that he didn't allow Vettel to come out after him in Q3.

I think this relates to the radio transmission when Vettel said 'we will talk later' after announcing that he was P2 and that Kimi was P1
The overshadow must have really rankled.
Multi 21!
Webber did not believe in "hitting boys" (TG F1SIARPC), but Kimi will not say much, will he.
Old 5th September 2018, 10:55   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I love these sub-plots, racing within each other, within the team, against other teams - makes things nice and spicy
Old 5th September 2018, 11:50   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

According to:
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/324...ttels-mistakes

Ferrari was supposed to let Vettel out behind Hamilton so Vettel could get a tow while Kimi gets one from Seb.

But the team was a fraction slow and Sainz slotted in between the Mercedes and Ferrari - leading to Vettel's dismay.

A supposed interview of Vettel is doing the rounds - https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/20539...g-3-cars-.html. The interview makes some claims:

Quote:
"I'm not particularly happy with the way Ferrari managed things on Saturday.

"It should've been me starting from pole position.

"For me, it's clear: I have to race three cars, including my teammate."

Not sure if the reporting is accurate as this could drive a wedge between Seb and the rest of the team.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 12:37   #66
Senior - BHPian

Formula 1: The 2018 Italian Grand Prix

Quote:

With Ferrari it's entirely possible. They have history of signing up more drivers than the available seats. If indeed Kimi was told about the contract, it basically jeopardizes their championship hopes for Vettel and they can kiss goodbye to WCC as well. Kimi is unlikely to support Vettel in such a scenario, and if team tries anything silly like slowing him down to be behind Vettel on track he may even finish behind both Mercedes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
According to:

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/324...ttels-mistakes

Ferrari was supposed to let Vettel out behind Hamilton so Vettel could get a tow while Kimi gets one from Seb.

But the team was a fraction slow and Sainz slotted in between the Mercedes and Ferrari - leading to Vettel's dismay.
This makes entire sense. For quite a few years now, Ferrari pitwall has been their weakest point compared to their competitors.

Quote:

A supposed interview of Vettel is doing the rounds - https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/20539...g-3-cars-.html. The interview makes some claims:

Not sure if the reporting is accurate as this could drive a wedge between Seb and the rest of the team.
I doubt if this is authentic. The reporter is letting their imagination run wild. The language/sentences don't match what Vettel generally uses, and secondly no other media is carrying this.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 5th September 2018 at 12:46.
SilentEngine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 15:54   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
The regulations say that they have to return 7 sets of tires by the time qualifying is over which means that Seb should have had at least 3 sets of Super Softs in hand on Sunday morning (worst case scenario, assuming he did not return the two mediums and the one set of soft tires). FP1 running was mininmal because of the rains, so if he really managed to exhaust all 10 (or even 9) sets by Saturday evening then Ferrari competency really needs to be questioned. They opted for 10 sets of supersofts to go aggressive and they should have stayed true to the plan.

PS: I made a booboo, Seb's second stint was on softs and not mediums as I had mentioned in my earlier post.

Here is the tyre sets they had for the race. (Got this from a Reddit thread)

Formula 1: The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-9ij061lmkb2g_aevzqiiejk341oupuljmans8btynzw.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
With Ferrari it's entirely possible. They have history of signing up more drivers than the available seats. If indeed Kimi was told about the contract, it basically jeopardizes their championship hopes for Vettel and they can kiss goodbye to WCC as well. Kimi is unlikely to support Vettel in such a scenario, and if team tries anything silly like slowing him down to be behind Vettel on track he may even finish behind both Mercedes.

Would hate to see Kimi having to leave F1. He's driving really well right now. But perhaps LeClerc will gain much needed experience being a (possibly) wingman to Vettel before the regulation changes in 2021?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
I doubt if this is authentic. The reporter is letting their imagination run wild. The language/sentences don't match what Vettel generally uses, and secondly no other media is carrying this.

Me too. No other site has carried this interview. And the main site itself is unheard of. As you said, the tone of the interview is very unlike Vettel.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 5th September 2018 at 15:58.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 19:08   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Isn't that why so many love Kimi (that and his dead-pan one liners). After this crazy (who else would say "I was taking a sh*t" on camera) Finn retires F1 viewership will temporarily drop 20%, maybe more.

Sehwag - I see ball, I hit it.
Kimi - I get car, I drive it

You can't help but love anyone who has this attitude.
So true. My F1 following started in 2002 (Montoya for that year) and from 2003 onwards it is all Kimi. I stopped following in 2010, no coincidence Kimi was on his F1 break and started picking up again after he is back. And the Italian Grand Prix was the first in over 8 years that I watched the Qualifying and the Full race.
Old 6th September 2018, 21:32   #69
Senior - BHPian

They need Alonso in that Ferrari to win the title. Vettel seems to be proving his detractors right that he can only win from front. I think even Bottas, Ric, Max (maybe not this year) would have been closer or leading in that Ferrari. I don't know how many points he has dropped due to his mistakes - in the last 2 years.

Maybe that is why Ferrari is keen to get Leclerc in there.

PS: But with Alonso you never know - he gets in & suddenly they forget how to make a good car.
Old 7th September 2018, 13:27   #70
Senior - BHPian

A lot of us (including me) have been quick to blame Vettel for his points deficit in the championship. Another aspect that I have not considered and one that should share the blame is the Ferrari pitwall. Heres an article written by Mark Hughes highlighting some of the cracks in the pitwall during the course of the season.

Why Ferrari must share the blame for Sebastien Vettel's mistakes

Nicely analysed in my opinion.
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks