Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2005, 00:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Can Michael still do it??

Our man in F-1 certainly doesn't think so.

A flip through the last page of yesterday (i.e. 16 April) of The Times of India, Mumbai Edition reveals that Michael Schumacher might not go on to win a world championship title once again.

And the person to claim it all... Mr. Narain Karthikeyan. Read here to understand why he says what he says...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...ow/1079468.cms

But on a serious note, do you really think Michael still theoretically stands a chance to win the World Championship, a record straight 6th time? Are the remaining races enough for him to claw back, or doomsayers like Narain really hitting the nail.

Predict, presume and claim your trophy. Or perish in a heap of mud-slinging. Put in your predictions here, cuz you'll get to see if the old man in F-1 still has some sting left in him. Or the others have caught up.

October 2005 - Michael Schumacher - World Champion?

Revv
Old 17th April 2005, 01:40   #2
BANNED

i wud say that..alonso...is far much aggressiv than schumi..well schumi once was on the top...but now..there r a lot of norms..which shot up..and they did mak ..impact on the car design..and even the speed got down...a lot..i think alonso is the next guy..who might be the next schumi...
Old 17th April 2005, 01:46   #3
BHPian

agree with freakr.
i had also said in a thread before that alonso will be the next schumi, but many tbhpians disagreed with me.
the bottomline is : age counts man.
the schumi era is over iMO!!!!
Old 17th April 2005, 01:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

No one can doubt Michael Schumacher's capabilities. It's just that Ferrari's 2005 car is not up to it at the moment. Infact it's no where compared to the competition. Whether Michael wins the Championship or not will depend on how quickly Ferrari manage to get their act together. If two more races go and Michael fails to score podium finish, I'll confidently say that he will not win the 2005 Championship.
Fernando Alonso is proving to be very strong this year.
Old 17th April 2005, 02:07   #5
BANNED

hey ...dude..ur rite the 2005 ferrari car...has come but seems lik havin a minor problem..schumi is more experienced than alonso..the he's suppsed to beat the lap times in qualifyin..why is he slogging ....i mean..he's had his time...and guys..we jst can't hav one guy..on top..always..not a lifetime..theres gotta be sumone..who cud out do him...well..i feel so..if u notice alonso's drivin..he 's got the rush...

Note from Moderator : Use of slang and sms language is strictly prohibited on Team BHP. Breaking of the rules will result in permanent banning from the forum

Last edited by Dippy : 17th April 2005 at 02:11.
Old 17th April 2005, 02:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

The current scenario is pretty similar to what we saw in 2003 . The first three races saw MS without a win and a DNF in those as well. That time it was Mclaren having the upper hand and this season Renault with Alonso spear heading the attack. The F2005 has proved itself to be fast but it has to have the reliability and tyre issues sorted out. If Ferrari take care of these, there is no doubt that MS will fight back and may surely win the Championship but it will be quite close. 2 more bad races and it might not be possible to win. If Schumi doesnt win this year he will definately win in 2006 and that too in crushing style which might be the perfect swan song and farewell to one of the best drivers of the current era.

2003 was close and Ferari had a tough fight...2004 they made mince meat of the opposition...2005?? Lets see what happens

Dippy
Old 17th April 2005, 11:28   #7
BHPian

Yes ... Michael Schumacher can do it again .... as he has been doing the last 5 years ... He will win the championship again this year BUT it will be a close and a very tough battle with Fernando Alonso .... But Michael is never say die guy and he has the resources and the Battling spirit of Team Ferrari behind him ....
He will come out in flying colours in Imola SanMarino ....
Old 17th April 2005, 11:53   #8
BHPian

michael will win the championship this year provided the team can get reliability in the next 2 races. the season is really long with 19 races. looking at the example of bahrain he did manage to come right back to the top (almost) from nowhere in malaysia. the moment ferrari get their reliability back (which they should already be having right now after 3 weeks of testing) with michael schumacher and jean todt nothing can stop them.
Old 17th April 2005, 12:54   #9
BANNED

yea there are a lot of schumi fan's out here..including me..i would agree that schumi is capable.but alonso looks so focused and the renault is going good..he is got a chance to be the up comming chamipion.his lap timings are great.just think if he could get those timings in renault..if he were to be in a ferrari..he would just blow past...
Old 17th April 2005, 13:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Dippy........ 16 races is a long way to go, and from the glimpses we got of the F2005 in Bahrain GP, the car is quick. Since it was rushed out due to all the speculation, it was a bit unreliable, no doubt Ferrari will be working flatout to solve the issues. My gut feeling says they'll be back for the next race with a much more reliable car, then........ its game on!

Having said that, i would love to see someother driver apart from Schumi win the WDC and some other team win the WCC( hopefully it'll be McLaren and Kimi!!)
Old 17th April 2005, 13:46   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Having said that, i would love to see someother driver apart from Schumi win the WDC and some other team win the WCC( hopefully it'll be McLaren and Kimi!!)
isnt that wishful thinking. i dont think mclaren will be able to do it.
Old 17th April 2005, 16:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

All those 7 titles have not been won by Schumacher due to his driving abilities. On more than one occasion it was the car that secured him the championship. This year too if Schumacher does not win, it'll be down to bridgestone, IMO. But as others have said, new blood is in F1 and they are hellbent on giving Schumacher a run for his money.

My personal opinion is that he will not win again simply because Renault/Michelin are significantly ahead of Ferrari at this stage and there is no reason why they cannot maintain this gap. Wait, come to think of it. There is a reason which i posted in another thread regarding Ferrari/FIA. So if ferrari play fair throughout the season, then schumacher will not win.
Old 17th April 2005, 17:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

I personally don't think MS can win the championship this season because renault and Fernando Alonso are already very strong. Iam sure that Alonso will do it this time, he has got the talent which will make him a champion and the next schumi.
Old 17th April 2005, 19:06   #14
BHPian

It is very clear that in F1 the car (chassis+engine+tyres) counts more than the driver. As they say in cricket (and all other sport), one can say (equally incorrectly) you are as good as your last race. Having said that, the real Alonso vs Schumi race starts once Ferrari get their act together (2-3 races from now). But my money is on Kimi.
Old 17th April 2005, 21:58   #15
BHPian

Not a Schumi fan here. But he's an extremely capable driver who is still better than the rest. Schumi + improved F2005 + surgically precise Ferrari strategy does make for a killer combo. And with so many more races to go, you just cannot count the king out, yet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks