Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2005, 13:20   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcheetah
After a Sad Start and Ending to the US GP , i seriously think that new rule Something along the lines of"In the interests of safety and to ensure a sizeable race entry, the FIA reserve the right to change any regulation (for a single event)if the majority of the teams agree. In the event of a 50/50 split decision, the race director would have the deciding vote." should be put in place .

Will not work.

At every event, if more than 5 of the back-markers decide to change rules to allow them be equal to the front runners, what happens?

The bottom six teams could always slow down tracks to suit their purpose.

Quote:
Quite simply it has been stated by Whiting, Mosley and Ecclestone that they have no idea whatsoever what the penalties would be if the teams changed to a new tyre, either before or during the race.

I'm sure that if all teams had been aware of exactly what the penalties would be, they would have made their decision and this would have been solved simply.
This is somewhat true for other races, but at indy, even the new tyres that Michelin flew over were not tested.
And the race is not the place to test new tyres. That too with 14 cars on the new tyres, who knows what will happen?

Its only after Michelin tested the tyres that Mclaren and williams etc(who did not crash) had used for the practice, they realised it was a problem.

After 10-15 laps, the tyre had deformed. They could test this only in the lab.
Old 20th June 2005, 13:20   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epyupc

This is a crazy idea. Lets forget MS, and RB for a sec. You think kimi and alonso would go slow through the corner??

None of the drivers would run "slow".

FACT is michelin made a genuine mistake. You can curse them all you want for that.
But no sane person would have sent anyone out on those tyres which were deformed after a few laps, for a long race.
I'm sad to say the only people who had a choice were ferrari.
Micheloin made a genuine mistake ...... dont think so mate , i think they made a mistake a big mistake some thing what u dont do at this level ....
Old 20th June 2005, 13:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Micheloin made a genuine mistake ...... dont think so mate , i think they made a mistake a big mistake some thing what u dont do at this level ....
?????

Big mistake or small mistake, it was a genuine mistake.

It was not their aim to disrupt a race is what i'm trying to say.
Old 20th June 2005, 13:42   #19
BHPian

tell me whats genuine about not being able to get the right tyres , when u know the rules before hand . silly yaar , that means in my next rally or circut race i just tell people i made an honest mistake so please change the rules .
How many people does michelin employ to manage their formula one commitment ??? your guess is as good as mine ... they are paid like crazy and whats this that after spending millions in to development , you have the nerve to say please add a chicane , or let us change the tyre type ....SORRY DONT THINK SO .... BIG MISTAKE , DEFIATELY NOT HONEST MISTAKE ...
Old 20th June 2005, 13:44   #20
BHPian

I dont think there is anybody to blame other than michelin.Come on they made a mistake and yes mistakes should cost them dear.It is not fair asking others to compromise because of their mistake.
Old 20th June 2005, 13:54   #21
BHPian

Quote:
tell me whats genuine about not being able to get the right tyres , when u know the rules before hand . silly yaar , that means in my next rally or circut race i just tell people i made an honest mistake so please change the rules .
How many people does michelin employ to manage their formula one commitment ??? your guess is as good as mine ... they are paid like crazy and whats this that after spending millions in to development , you have the nerve to say please add a chicane , or let us change the tyre type ....SORRY DONT THINK SO .... BIG MISTAKE , DEFIATELY NOT HONEST MISTAKE ...

Lets get this straight. MICHELIN MADE A MISTAKE

But when you say its not a honest mistake, it means some guys sitting at michelin head-quarters were thinking..."Lets take some bad tyres to the US GP and screw everyone's week end"

Thats crazy! Look at the bad PR among others things.

Why on earth would they do it purposely???

It was a major f--- up, a screw up etc.
But how can you saw it was not a honest mistake???
did they go to the GP knowing they were taking bad tyres?

If not how can it be anythin but a honest mistake??

Last edited by epyupc : 20th June 2005 at 13:57.
Old 20th June 2005, 14:09   #22
BHPian

My friend , ok may be i am a bit upset about not getting to watch a good race , thats showing in my writups , but tell me whats the difference between the Car on the pole and the car last on the grid . This is the pinacle of motorsports and there is no room for errors , so they should have been a hell lot more carefull in the type of choice of tyre .

I guess if they had run at slow speeds at that corner , all this could have been avoided . So many times other teams have an advantage , but a DNS is not the way of tackeling a situation .
I strongly beleave races are won on the track and not in closed doors with corporate lawers tightting each other rather that man and machine on the track.....
Old 20th June 2005, 14:17   #23
BHPian

I agree with you.

Michelin really messed up and need to pay.

But asking the drivers to drive slow when we know they will not was not the answer.

Maybe slowing the track was the only answer. I don't know.

But the point is, there has to be a strong person in charge to do "What is best for the sport"

And unfortunately sometimes that means changing the rules mid-way.
Old 20th June 2005, 14:24   #24
BHPian

Michelin screwed up - YES. But look at the bigger picture. The real ones to blame is the FIA, for introducing this DANGEROUS and stupid One Tyre rule in the first place. FIA should be held accountable for the Joke of a 2005 US Grand Prix and not to mention all the other changes to completely kill F1. They are changing the F1 cars of 2008 into the current A1 racing cars. I.E. sxxxx F1 and just go with A1. The FIA has disgusted me with their stupid rule changes for "Safety", but instead they are making a mockery of all the hard work that the manufacturers have put into the sport.
Old 20th June 2005, 15:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

I find it funny to blame FIA for US GP fiasco. One tyre rule is there right from start of season. There was no special rule made for US GP. The track was not prepared at the last minute. All the facts were well known, so if Michelin didnt have right tyres, why blame Ferrari or FIA? Common, tomorrow MS can say that he is boycotting because bridgestones on his Ferrari are not good and Michelins are better on Alonso's car. Or, Narain can say that he is boycotting coz Jordan cars are slower than McLarens.

It clearly was Michelin's mistake and they have accepted and apologised for the same.
Old 20th June 2005, 15:14   #26
BHPian

I agree with you 100% my freind.
lets hope nothing like this ever happenes again, and we have a good season ahead and may the best car , driver , engine , tyre , win and not the best corporate lawer or petions win ....
Old 20th June 2005, 15:16   #27
Team-BHP Support

If the GP had been a football international and one team had turned up without football boots - would FIFA have ruled that the other team must play without boots to make it fairer? Probably not, but FIFA would n't have rules which prevented them flying in a fresh supply of boots
Old 20th June 2005, 15:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
I find it funny to blame FIA for US GP fiasco. One tyre rule is there right from start of season. There was no special rule made for US GP. The track was not prepared at the last minute. All the facts were well known, so if Michelin didnt have right tyres, why blame Ferrari or FIA?
A fair analysis I would say. Michelin should take the blame for this and see to it that such a thing does not happen in future.
Old 20th June 2005, 15:29   #29
BHPian

Hey Guys for the new UN official website of Formul a 1 please log on to www.fiasco1.com and make volume of your computer is on , excillent effects ....
Must see , HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and please forward the link to others as well ........

Last edited by Badcheetah : 20th June 2005 at 15:30. Reason: spelling error
Old 20th June 2005, 17:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

you people seem to forget that
Indy surface was redone recently (the banked section)

Micheline doesn't compete in America

Bridgstone competes mostly in America & Asia
Bridgstone made tyres for Indy 500
previously they also had problem but with a lot of testing it was solved
so Bridgstone had data & Micheline didn't

yes micheline screwed but don't overlook the facts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks