Team-BHP - 2006 Maruti Baleno VXi - Updated @ 96,000 kms
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   2006 Maruti Baleno VXi - Updated @ 96,000 kms (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/10673-2006-maruti-baleno-vxi-updated-96-000-kms-3.html)

Huh.... One of the neat reports i've ever read.
Good Work:)

nice report shuvc,
i did 3500kms in 2 months without any long trips im getting 11.5 to 12.5 with 195/60 R14 tubeless, can any one help out where to get foglights and K&N filter for my Baleno in HYd.

There are some small rectangular plastic areas/panels (1 inch by 1/2 inch) ready to be cutout on the handbrake/gear 'base' .. any idea what they are for ? They seem to have been used for some function in earlier/parent model and not used now.[/quote]

As far as I know these are slots for switches of seat heaters.

I tried both (165/80 R 13 in two friend's cars) and (185/65 R 14 in my car). I am confusd but I found the ride to be very similar..
Maybe it is because the OEM 165/80 is tubetype while 185/65 is tubeless and hence that makes up for the reduced sidewall height

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon
My Baleno is doing 8,000 kms and driving like a dream except for those "khatak" noises and the reverse gear acting up ( refusing to engage)time and again. Apart from being slightly flimsy, it's a good car with awesome engine.!! I ride on 195/60 r 14 tubeless over rough potholed rural roads of the mountainside and still find the ride and handling great....
Query what fog lights do I put in those cut outs? the original Baleno fogs are wayyy too expensive for me. I need good fog lights with powerful beam- white lights(?). where can I find them in Delhi or Bombay? I'm going there soon.

that "khatak" noise is a Maruti treadmark..heard that it comes in Swift too...you will generally find it only if your wheel enters a pothole while the steering is turned (off centre)

Shuvc...what is the Company recommended pressure for F/R in the 185/65 R 14 tyre size..so far I have been keeping 30 PSI but guess it is a bit too high

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffetfan
Shuvc...what is the Company recommended pressure for F/R in the 185/65 R 14 tyre size..so far I have been keeping 30 PSI but guess it is a bit too high

25 all around as per the sticker. + 4 for highways.

I'd love to get fog lamps some day. And inspite of the steep price I'm willing to go for the OEM lamps. Letsee, someday ...

So you are saying that it is 25 for the City and 29 for highways..all per the sticker or the sticker says 25 only.

Quote:

So you are saying that it is 25 for the City and 29 for highways..all per the sticker or the sticker says 25 only.

Door sticker mentions 25 only. I think the manual talks about the extra 4psi for highway drives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvc
Well the side wall height for 165/80 and 185/65 would be
165*.8 = 132 mm
185*.65 = 120.25 mm
So there's more cushioning available with the 165/80.

But 185*65 comes with 14" wheel against 13" for 165*80. So they pretty much offsets each other.
In fact the difference would be in the scale of millimeters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvc
I'll forego one helping of Baskin Robbins a month for that .. ummm, well, actually I won't :p

Haa haaa haaa... I liked that. :D Also, let me take this opportunity to congratulate on a very fine review (And of course the earlier post on initial buying decision). Very objectively written... somehow reminds me of a smooth and very compelling powerpoint presentation. Heyyy... by any chance you are not in presales or something naa? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanusrinivas
can any one help out where to get foglights and K&N filter for my Baleno in HYd.

Bhanu, did you try out the umpteen no. of shops on the minister road? I get most accessories fitted at Matrix. Thats the first one once you enter from the SP road side. They normally have most accessories and are also reasonable (you can negotiate and bring the costs further down). I suggest you make a trip there and check out the shops (there are 100s on both sides). I am sure you will find all that you need. Also, there is one next to Paradise food court... Its called MM Motors (I think). They store K&N... even the fog lamps may very well be available.

Quote:

that "khatak" noise is a Maruti treadmark..heard that it comes in Swift too...you will generally find it only if your wheel enters a pothole while the steering is turned (off centre)

Have you considered something else? Most of you ride on tires with reduced sidewall. On top of that most of you probably also maintain a few pSi more in your tires. All these when coupled with the fact that Marutis are primarily configured as city cars (and hence softer suspensions) cause the suspension to bottom out and hit the dead-end when the tire lands in a pothole at moderate speeds. This is probably why you get that khatak noise.

Thanks a lot zappo, for fog lights i tried in many shops there at minister road but couldn't get, i'll try out for K&N this weekend at MM motors.

Quote:

Have you considered something else? Most of you ride on tires with reduced sidewall. On top of that most of you probably also maintain a few pSi more in your tires. All these when coupled with the fact that Marutis are primarily configured as city cars (and hence softer suspensions) cause the suspension to bottom out and hit the dead-end when the tire lands in a pothole at moderate speeds. This is probably why you get that khatak noise.
Zappo
Zappo,
In my case the Khatak comes not due to suspension bottoming out...It comes een sometimes at low speed and no load on 3 inch deep expansion joints/potholes...maruti cannot undertand why this happens and hanve already changed my front suspension to no avail..

Quote:

But 185*65 comes with 14" wheel against 13" for 165*80. So they pretty much offsets each other.
In fact the difference would be in the scale of millimeters.
Indrajit...what he is saying is that the difernece in cushioning...the OD is approx same but in 165./80 you get more rubber in the sidewall and hence better cushioning

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo
Heyyy... by any chance you are not in presales or something naa? :D

Thanks.
Well not directly and regularly .. but I have been involved in pre-sales activities infrequently :)

Quote:

In my case the Khatak comes not due to suspension bottoming out...It comes een sometimes at low speed and no load on 3 inch deep expansion joints/potholes

The lower arm bolt tightening trick didn't help ?