Team-BHP - 2006 Maruti Baleno VXi - Updated @ 96,000 kms
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   2006 Maruti Baleno VXi - Updated @ 96,000 kms (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/10673-2006-maruti-baleno-vxi-updated-96-000-kms-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvc
what's WD-40 ?

WD-40 is a liquid used to free up things that get stuck due to rust, non-usage etc. Eg. bolts that are tough to unscrew. In the US, WD-40 along with duct tape is a must-have for all households. As they say "For something that moves and should not, use duct tape. And for something that does not move, but should, use WD-40".

Bought my car (baleno LXI upgraded to VXI Alloys and 185/65/R14 Bridgestone tyres; same security system, silver polish on central console etc.) from Pratham motors on March 15th. It had done 18 kms when took delivery; at 290 kms now.

Some grudges:
Have joine the forum recently and read shuvc's review talking about 'khatak' sound when the car hits some potholes. Would want to know abt others facing the problem, if the cause has been identified and the remedy.

There's also a sound of lose metal sheet vibration from the rear. First thought could be the number plate and got it padded, but the sound still persists.

Was using a Santro Xing earlier and whenever it stalled in bumper to bumper traffic you could easily switch the ignition on again and off it went. With the Baleno, I am having to switch off the battery as well, wait for 10 odd seconds before I switch it on again. Would this get rectified as the battery charges better? ANything to do with starter motor?

I have done 115 kms after filled the tank fully and the needle is still beyond the 'F' mark. Will check the mileage after some more distance but I am sure there's soemthing wrong with the gauge as 10 odd litres of petrol must have been consumed which is 1/5th the tank capacity and still the needle position.

Positives:
Very positive response from Pratham motors sales and accessories guys on ORR, Bangalore. Very happy with quality of seat covers (Luster - Bisc). Will get know about their service in a couple of weeks time!!

Lowend torque helping ease the pain of Banaglore traffic with fewer gear shifts required. Ample leg room for passengers on rear seat (since I have a 2 yr old who refuses to sit alone on rear seats, wife always sits along with him!)

Will post a detailed feedback after first service, for now would appreciate any hekp with the problems I have noticed

Quote:

Originally Posted by siddhu_75
With the Baleno, I am having to switch off the battery as well, wait for 10 odd seconds before I switch it on again. Would this get rectified as the battery charges better? ANything to do with starter motor?

Don't remember hearing this complaint before. I do a lot of stop-starts on the road as I switch off the motor if the traffic timer indicates 60secs or more. Never faced this problem with my Baleno. Would be helpful to check the charge on your battery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by siddhu_75
I have done 115 kms after filled the tank fully and the needle is still beyond the 'F' mark. Will check the mileage after some more distance but I am sure there's soemthing wrong with the gauge as 10 odd litres of petrol must have been consumed which is 1/5th the tank capacity and still the needle position.

When you fill the tank fully, the indicator goes beyond the F mark and it takes 100 odd kms for me to come down to F mark. This is normal. After you drive a few hundred kms you would understand the gauge readings better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by siddhu_75 (Post 396241)
Have joine the forum recently and read shuvc's review talking about 'khatak' sound when the car hits some potholes. Would want to know abt others facing the problem, if the cause has been identified and the remedy.

I think I had mentioned the remedy somewhere in this thread. A lower arm bolt had to be tightened.
Quote:

There's also a sound of lose metal sheet vibration from the rear. First thought could be the number plate and got it padded, but the sound still persists.

Was using a Santro Xing earlier and whenever it stalled in bumper to bumper traffic you could easily switch the ignition on again and off it went. With the Baleno, I am having to switch off the battery as well, wait for 10 odd seconds before I switch it on again. Would this get rectified as the battery charges better? ANything to do with starter motor?

Both problems sound strange. Haven't heard anyone else on this forum or otherwise ever mention them. My guess would be that these may have been introduced while the accessories were being fitted.

Quote:

Ample leg room for passengers on rear seat (since I have a 2 yr old who refuses to sit alone on rear seats, wife always sits along with him!)

Try a baby car seat :) My 2 yr old has been using it for a year now. Loves it. In fact it allows me to go out with him alone, should I need to.

Some grudges:

Remedy: Remove both the shockers apply liquid rubber washer and fix the shockers again. Thats what I got it done in workshop.

Quote:

Bought my car (baleno LXI upgraded to VXI Alloys and 185/65/R14 Bridgestone tyres; same security system, silver polish on central console etc.) from Pratham motors on March 15th. It had done 18 kms when took delivery; at 290 kms now.

Arent those Goodyear NCT5 tyres??

Quote:

Looks to me a rear tray making noise..Had a similar problem
Have u got rear speakers installed?
Quote:

Never heard of this problem in Baleno..!!
Do u have central locking installed?
Quote:

Positives:
Very positive response from Pratham motors sales and accessories guys on ORR, Bangalore. Very happy with quality of seat covers (Luster - Bisc). Will get know about their service in a couple of weeks time!!

Can u post a pic of seat cover? I'm also in search of one..!!

I finished 32 k kms in My 2005 Baleno Lxi...
Recently drove it from Hyderabad to Calcutta with 5 persons (3 Adults and 2 kids and their kid seats) and back..nearly completed 4k kms on the way dure to side trips (I stopped over at quite a few places..Puri, Kharagpur, Chilka, Calcutta, Rajahmundry, Vizag)
I shifted over to Michelin Energy Xm1s (185/65R14) from the Gyear NCT5 that I had on my car.. (

(the NCT5s were getting too boomy and the poor maruti guys evern changed the front bearings thinking that it was the bearing nopise..the noise still did not go away so they changed the tyres and put the regular Baleno tyres just to check out...the noise went away..so I know it was the tyres)

My 2 cents on the mileage.. City mileage 13.5-15 kmpl....shifts around 1500 RPM and AC ~50% time...no idling and restrained right foot..

Going to Calcutta--- generally adapted three different driving styles

a) 100-180 kmph..AC On all the time...ripping the car whenever possible... 12-13 kmpl
b) 100-120 kmph AC Off 50% of the time 15 kmpl..(conciously..lift off whenever you touch 120kmph plus..)
c) 80-110 kmph ...AC On all the time ...15 kmpl..

so the speed you drive at makes a lot of difference...also realised that the best possible speed on our highways is aropund 100 kmph as you dont need to brake much at this speed and generally end up having the same average speed as the guy who is doing 120 but braking once a minute...

Good Review Buffetfan and thats a pretty decent mileage you got from the Balena.

I am sure you had a lot of fun on this long drive. Btw, how many litres of fuel you filled up for this 4K trip to get the average kmpl?and if any pics of this trip do post them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffetfan (Post 398040)
I shifted over to Michelin Energy Xm1s (185/65R14) from the Gyear NCT5 that I had on my car.. (

(the NCT5s were getting too boomy and the poor maruti guys evern changed the front bearings thinking that it was the bearing nopise..the noise still did not go away so they changed the tyres and put the regular Baleno tyres just to check out...the noise went away..so I know it was the tyres)

Buffetfan....At what mileage did you change to the Michelins? I've noticed the same problem with my Goodyear NCT 5's. They've started getting noisy (not annoyingly as yet) post 8 kkms. What is your opinion of the Michelins?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza (Post 398633)
Buffetfan....At what mileage did you change to the Michelins? I've noticed the same problem with my Goodyear NCT 5's. They've started getting noisy (not annoyingly as yet) post 8 kkms. What is your opinion of the Michelins?

Michelins are the most silent tyres u can get...!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpzen (Post 396908)
Arent those Goodyear NCT5 tyres??

Bridgestone B250.

Quote:

Looks to me a rear tray making noise..Had a similar problem
Have u got rear speakers installed?

Yes, I did get rear speakers installed.Will have it checked

Quote:

Never heard of this problem in Baleno..!!
Do u have central locking installed?

Yes, it I got Central Locking installed as well

Quote:

Can u post a pic of seat cover? I'm also in search of one..!!

I am travelling currently and will do that as soon as I am back. The dealer tried to convince me to take 'Lustre' rather than 'Art Leather' as it more durable and doesnt look like a cheap leather imitation. You pay 1000-1500 more. Not sure how much of it is sales pitch, but I am happy with the outcome

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffetfan (Post 398040)
My 2 cents on the mileage.. City mileage 13.5-15 kmpl....shifts around 1500 RPM and AC ~50% time...no idling and restrained right foot..

You do get a lot in the city.
For my last fill of Speed -
Shifts at around 2000RPM, stop go traffic, max speeds 100kmph, zero AC, a bit of idling at signals, 195 F1 tyre - I got 12.28kmpl

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza (Post 398633)

I changed at 28 k kms.. the Gyear guy told me that they were only 40% worn...got Rs1475/tyre credit back for 4 tyres... he would not exchange the 5th one...

used the credit to buy Michelins...@3600/tyre...I am sure teh shop overcharged me but I had not other way to use the credit (Other option was to buy NCT5s again..that I wanted to avoid)...

Michelins are very silent on Cement roads and normal roads...however, on rough patches...the tyre rumble still exists.... ride better than NCT5s for sure..
One issue for some could be the fact that this is an "Asymmetric" pattern..Inside and Outside is mentioned on the tyre and while you can rotate the tyre both ways...you cannot flip it on the rim...so the trick of flipping the tyre if the side starts wearing due to misalignment will not work very well here!!

cornering grip is awesome..have tried cornering at 150kmph++....rock steady

a bit of uneasiness (is it vibration?) felt between 115 to 125 kmph...so I am concerned about straightline stability at this speed....my wife feels this is just my imagination as she did not feel it at this speed....maybe my tyres need balancing...beyound 125 till 180 there is no vibration..and so is the case below 115 kmph... maybe since I changed the tyres and straightaway went to highway...did not allow the tyres to setin...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 398160)
Good Review Buffetfan and thats a pretty decent mileage you got from the Balena.

I am sure you had a lot of fun on this long drive. Btw, how many litres of fuel you filled up for this 4K trip to get the average kmpl?and if any pics of this trip do post them.

sorry some problem and I cannot paste images in the reply...
I calculated the mileage after each refill...so there is no overall mileage as I did not keep a log of that...however, the mileages I have given are for different stretches...
a is from Hyderabad to Rajahmundry (100-180 kmph...ripwherever possible...12.5 kmpl)
b is from Kharagpur to chilka (rambha village) (AC off..~100-130kmph)..15kmpl
c is from Rajahmundry to Hyderabad (AC on, 80-110 kmph..last 112 kms...deadly traffic)..15 kmpl

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffetfan (Post 400116)
a bit of uneasiness (is it vibration?) felt between 115 to 125 kmph...

Is this like a slight 'lightness'/'looseness' in feel of the steering wheel or front tyres ? This used to happen to me too with the OEM NCT5s. A floaty feel at around the 120 mark.
The 195 Eagle F1's have eliminated this issue.

Has anyone checked their FE in the winter months (ie with the AC off) for Balenos?
My 2004 Baleno Vxi - which has done 25k kms - was regularly clocking in about 16 kmpl with 70% city and 30% highway drives.

Still no problems with the car except that the engine noise and vibratrion has increased a lot. Pretty evident with the engine idling in neutral and the windows rolled down. Anyone else with similar mileage on the car noticing the same?