Team-BHP - 2006 Maruti Baleno VXi - Updated @ 96,000 kms
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   2006 Maruti Baleno VXi - Updated @ 96,000 kms (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/10673-2006-maruti-baleno-vxi-updated-96-000-kms-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremeBaleno (Post 365336)
Very much possible. But then I am sure it would require immense self-control and patience to stick to sub-100kmph speeds and to avoid revving the gem of an engine that the Baleno has. :)

Very true .. on highways I'm normally around the 4K rpm mark .. i.e when I'm not shifting ;)
Hence my highway mileage has been at most similar to city mileage. 15kmpl is still a dream for me ..

Hey Shuvc, good review! Please PM any mods to change the thread title.......

@shuvc - great report! had a good time going through it. :) very imformative and lotsa details.

its bad that i never got a ride in the beast. its good that you dont have any plans for mods in the next one year.

take care of her.

Thanks @Suman .. have pm'ed

@planet, I'd hardly call her a beast .. but next time we meet let's make it a point to give you a ride.

Shuvac: Very nice and crispy review...it was indeed nice to analyse the stuffs...

Abhi

Is there much difference in the city fuel efficiency of Petra and Baleno?

In comparable traffic conditions and similary driving style how much difference would be there in the fuel efficiency of Petra and Baleno?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sush (Post 365797)
Is there much difference in the city fuel efficiency of Petra and Baleno?

In comparable traffic conditions and similary driving style how much difference would be there in the fuel efficiency of Petra and Baleno?

There should be at least a 2kmpl difference in city mileage i.e. if the Petra gives 8kmpl then the Baleno should give at least 10kmpl. Trust me because my previous car was a Palio S10 and I used to get 7.5 kmpl on an average with ac. With the Baleno I get 11 kmpl on an average under similar conditions. Why..the conditions are actually worse now with the increased traffic. 2kmpl would be the minimum difference, 3kmpl the norm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sush

Even with all things remaining the same, Petra being Fiat and Baleno being Jap, I am assuming that Petra would be heavier than the Baleno by atleast 100kgs, which could have an impact on the FE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza (Post 365808)
There should be at least a 2kmpl difference in city mileage i.e. if the Petra gives 8kmpl then the Baleno should give at least 10kmpl. Trust me because my previous car was a Palio S10 and I used to get 7.5 kmpl on an average with ac.

Are the Petra and the S10 engines in the same state of tune ? Or is the S10 tuned to guzzle a bit more ?

Fiat dealer out here had claimed that the Petra would return 11kmpl in Kolkata. Don't have any real life figures to compare.
MUL dealer had claimed 12kmpl for the Baleno - this and more, I've seen, is very much possible.

OT - thanks @tsk.

Quote:

Fiat dealer out here had claimed that the Petra would return 11kmpl in Kolkata. Don't have any real life figures to compare.
Dunno about that.

My Palio 1.2 gives 11-12 in city in Bangalore with not more than 50% AC.

The Petra is heavier by about 200 kgs and has a 1.6 engine. SO I very much doubt that a petra can give 11 in city with AC. 9 would be more like it.

I used to drive an S10 extensively in Delhi (my cousin's) and that used to give 8-9 in city.

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremeBaleno (Post 365811)
Even with all things remaining the same, Petra being Fiat and Baleno being Jap, I am assuming that Petra would be heavier than the Baleno by atleast 100kgs, which could have an impact on the FE.

To be precise, 1120 kg vs 980 kg.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX135 (Post 366015)
To be precise, 1120 kg vs 980 kg.

To be more precise, 975 for the Lxi and 985 for the Vxi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvc (Post 365190)
# 5-10% times, the power antenna does not retract fully - about 2 inches sticks out. Switching on the HU/radio to extend it and switching off again normally takes care of it. Also, it retracts making some groaning noises. Oiling hasn't helped.

This happens quite often to my Vxi too. Only thing that helps is to wipe the antenna down with a clean dry cloth, spray a little WD-40, wipe off the excess. Problem solved for the next month or so.
The reason for this is that antenna gets extended everytime you switch on the stereo, even if you are not using the radio. In Goa we have only one FM station, so I use the radio about 1 out of every 20 times. SOlution that was suggested in this forum sometime back, is to put a toggle switch between stereo and antenna, so that you can manually power the antenna when the radio is required. I am waiting for my two year warranty to run out before trying this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by filcord (Post 370678)
spray a little WD-40, wipe off the excess. Problem solved for the next month or so.

what's WD-40 ? I was thinking of trying Zorik 88 ! All those tv ads are having some effect ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by filcord (Post 370678)
The reason for this is that antenna gets extended everytime you switch on the stereo, even if you are not using the radio.

My setup is different. The antenna extends only in the radio mode. Not in the CD/standby mode.

OT: new dimension, to improving FE when car completes free services et all, ok engine frees up in say 5k so the realastic figures should come out by then, whatever improvement later on might be due to the driver getting used to the right power band of the car, just another theory stupid:

FYI my iKON always had same FE from day one till date, only deteriorated a bit with more aggressive drive on highway these days, but drive normal and she returns the same ol FE

shuv great review