Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2012, 19:15   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Please post some day time front view pics also.
Will do definitely. Give me a few days to get some good shots! In a way I wouldn't mind bragging that the projector look best on the blue color!

Quote:
Thanks for the pics.
We are waiting for DIY info and how much it costs.
I'm interested to see how it will suit in Shadow Blue, Since we both have same color.
Projector Setup Details
  • Vitamin M Factor : 11,200 INR
  • Kit Details : Morimoto Lens/ 4300k HID Bulbs / Slim Ballasts
  • Job Details : This was a completely DIY job done at @keyur's place. I would like to say "we both" did it, but then whom am I kidding! I know I was expected to put up a post on this by this weekend, but this will have to be postponed for a while. But will definitely put it up. As of now the basic steps are as below:
    1. Unscrew the headlight assembly and dis-connect the wires. If under doubt at any moment, use the manual which has the complete details.
    2. Open the headlight assembly by heating up the glue that holds the assembly. Not a simple job, one'll need guidance & tools for this.
    3. Remove the halogen bulbs and fit in the projector. Ideally the projector lens should fit in the stock headlight assembly. Heat the glue and stick the assembly together again.
    4. Setup the ballast with a power connection from the car battery and link the same to the projectors.
    5. Screw back the headlight assembly and connect the wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
A few pics of the LED Angel Eyes that I made (DIY and more pics coming soon).
A look at what Keyur's now upto with his Magnum!
Btw Keyur - please do share the pictures!
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2012, 19:40   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
[*]Vitamin M Factor : 11,200 INR[*]Kit Details : Morimoto Lens/ 4300k HID Bulbs / Slim Ballasts
That is an incredible deal for projectors. Where did you get these from? Are these the Chinese ones? Stop writing a soap for Ekta Kapoor and please put all details in a single post

Quote:
[*]Job Details : This was a completely DIY job done at @keyur's place. I would like to say "we both" did it, but then whom am I kidding! I know I was expected to put up a post on this by this weekend, but this will have to be postponed for a while. But will definitely put it up. As of now the basic steps are as below:
  1. Unscrew the headlight assembly and dis-connect the wires. If under doubt at any moment, use the manual which has the complete details.
  2. Open the headlight assembly by heating up the glue that holds the assembly. Not a simple job, one'll need guidance & tools for this.
  3. Remove the halogen bulbs and fit in the projector. Ideally the projector lens should fit in the stock headlight assembly. Heat the glue and stick the assembly together again.
  4. Setup the ballast with a power connection from the car battery and link the same to the projectors.
[/list]
Very well done. Just a wee bit of concern and let this not unsettle or bother you. Given these recent incidents with the Vento and the Rapid and the risk of mods hope you have ensured the installation has been done properly with earthing connections taken care of to ensure safety from all aspects.
Old 8th April 2012, 20:03   #348
Senior - BHPian

Your observation is very right. The contributing factor - Clogged/dirty Air filter. Due to the lack of sufficient air, The fuel isn't completely burnt resulting in less output. You have to increase the input (throttle - additional fuel) to get the same amount of acceleration and hence a subsequent reduction in mileage.

It makes a lot of difference to the drivability of the car, which you will appreciate once you drive it post the service. Replacement of the air-filter with a new one should bring your mileage back to its original level.

Quote:
As seen above, the mileage is going down steadily. Would like your inputs please.
Old 9th April 2012, 11:30   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
That is an incredible deal for projectors. Where did you get these from? Are these the Chinese ones? Stop writing a soap for Ekta Kapoor and please put all details in a single post
All in good time!

I wonder what exactly one means by "Chinese ones". Yes, the sourcing dealer is based out of China. So if that is what differentiates, then these are chinese ones. And yes, 11k is an excellent deal.

What is more importatant is the Vento feels perfect with a projector setup than the stock headlights. That's why when Keyur approached me with this option, I didn't think twice. Although I don't have an exact guarantee option on this kit, but apparently the dealer is ready to replace any of the parts if any of them goes faulty for the next one year (we bear the shipping costs). I guess that is good enough for me.

Quote:
Very well done. Just a wee bit of concern and let this not unsettle or bother you. Given these recent incidents with the Vento and the Rapid and the risk of mods hope you have ensured the installation has been done properly with earthing connections taken care of to ensure safety from all aspects.
Very valid concern. On a lucky or unlucky note, my first service date is almost overlapping the headlight DIY, so it is going to be an interesting weekend - either I am going to get into a good fight with the workshop over warranty matters. Or if everything goes alright, then I'll be ensuring they validate the wiring to confirm it has been done properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Your observation is very right. The contributing factor - Clogged/dirty Air filter. Due to the lack of sufficient air, The fuel isn't completely burnt resulting in less output. You have to increase the input (throttle - additional fuel) to get the same amount of acceleration and hence a subsequent reduction in mileage.

It makes a lot of difference to the drivability of the car, which you will appreciate once you drive it post the service. Replacement of the air-filter with a new one should bring your mileage back to its original level.
Well, as I said FE isn't that big a concern to me, but I'll definitely want to get this corrected if there is something wrong with the car. Guess I'll get to know better once the servicing is done.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 12:04   #350
BHPian

Quote:
All in good time!
I wonder what exactly one means by "Chinese ones". Yes, the sourcing dealer is based out of China. So if that is what differentiates, then these are chinese ones. And yes, 11k is an excellent deal.
Ummm. I guess what I meant was are these projectors manufactured in China. I think noopster too got projectors which are from China but sold by a local dealer. In your case it seems like that you got them shipped through China but they might have been originally made somewhere else. Please do share the link from where you obtained them if you purchased them online.

Quote:
Very valid concern. On a lucky or unlucky note, my first service date is almost overlapping the headlight DIY, so it is going to be an interesting weekend - either I am going to get into a good fight with the workshop over warranty matters. Or if everything goes alright, then I'll be ensuring they validate the wiring to confirm it has been done properly.
Wow 15K up already, many congratulations . Hope all goes well with you and you can continue enjoying the angel eyes. Generally the service center folks don't throw a fit but its a very lamentable fact that VW has not cared to share any info on the causes of these fires and customers will continue to be apprehensive (including me) about using after market mods on the car.
Old 9th April 2012, 12:05   #351
BHPian

Those projectors look great at night!

Quote:
A front view look at the headlights at extremely low shutter speed
Sorry for the nitpicking but I think you meant "extremely high shutter speed" there.

Quote:
Exactly what I want to see too! Take some shots from your P&S in the day and be done with it. Forget the SLR... Our cars looks great even on a mobile camera.
Old 9th April 2012, 12:42   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ummm. I guess what I meant was are these projectors manufactured in China. I think noopster too got projectors which are from China but sold by a local dealer. In your case it seems like that you got them shipped through China but they might have been originally made somewhere else. Please do share the link from where you obtained them if you purchased them online.
This was done entirely by Keyur. I'll PM you details on this later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Those projectors look great at night!
Oh they do. And the improvement on the headlight throw is immensely better.

Quote:
Sorry for the nitpicking but I think you meant "extremely high shutter speed" there.
lol - trust a SLR owner to catch this.

Quote:
Exactly what I want to see too! Take some shots from your P&S in the day and be done with it. Forget the SLR... Our cars looks great even on a mobile camera.
Will do.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 13:58   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the pics.
A few more pics below!

Quote:
Ditto! With some (read: a LOT!) of help from fellow Tbhpian @keyur, the lady has been given a new pair of eye-wear!
Pictures and details later! As of now, PFA a glimpse at the car.
Nice pics! And that was quite a day (and evening)

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Wow ! Awesome ! Nice set of menacing eyes Ninja .. are those lenses the Chinese ones ? How much do they cost ?
Hope you are not planning to smoke those lenses
Quote:
That is an incredible deal for projectors. Where did you get these from? Are these the Chinese ones?
A bit of gyaan here :
  • The projectors and the angel eye shrouds are completely separate- this means that you can fit the projectors without the shroud if you choose to!
  • I sourced the projectors directly from the chinese manufacturer of a well known foreign brand (can't disclose the details as I was explicitly asked not to do so for obvious reasons).
  • The shrouds are chinese - cheaper, with integrated angel eyes.
  • The projector has a curved shield with RH cutoff
  • The lens is a clear lens and is a part of the projector itself (not the shroud - as in most of the cheaper chinese ones that are available locally)
The cost (depending on the shrouds) is between 11K and 12.5k (fitting was done free of cost as this was a DIY activity and this is not my source of income). These goods were shipped in by express air freight (expensive) and FULL customs duty was paid!
Quote:
Awesome!! Looks superb!! Please don't tease us with these pics! We want more!!
More pics below

Quote:
Will do definitely. Give me a few days to get some good shots! In a way I wouldn't mind bragging that the projector look best on the blue color!

Projector Setup Details
  • Vitamin M Factor : 11,200 INR
  • Kit Details : Morimoto Lens/ 4300k HID Bulbs / Slim Ballasts
  • Job Details : This was a completely DIY job done at @keyur's place. I would like to say "we both" did it, but then whom am I kidding! I know I was expected to put up a post on this by this weekend, but this will have to be postponed for a while. But will definitely put it up. As of now the basic steps are as below:

A look at what Keyur's now upto with his Magnum!
Btw Keyur - please do share the pictures!
A link here for what I am doing.
And a few pictures below! One more friend of mine wants these fitted on his Vento, so will take more detailed pics for the DIY.

Quote:

Dude, now that is downright insulting , after the efforts, checks and re-checks done to ensure that the whole thing works perfectly (this was not a hack job - not a single wire was cut, stripped etc..)

Quote:
Ditto!

Quote:
All in good time!

What is more importatant is the Vento feels perfect with a projector setup than the stock headlights. That's why when Keyur approached me with this option, I didn't think twice. Although I don't have an exact guarantee option on this kit, but apparently the dealer is ready to replace any of the parts if any of them goes faulty for the next one year (we bear the shipping costs). I guess that is good enough for me.

Ninja, you are missing the part where you HIJACKED one set for your Vento! This was meant for some other poor friend of mine (I had started out with procuring 2 for me and my dad, but ended up ordering 15!), to whom I have to explain how his projectors ended up in a Vento

The projector housing and angel eyes have a 1 year warranty.
The bulbs have a 3 months warranty
The ballasts have a 18 month warranty
You do not need to ship the goods back to them - just provide photos as proof, but you have to pay for the shipping of the replacements (which is substantial)

Now the pics :

1. The opened headlights (glass removed)
My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-dsc_0929.jpg

2. Projector fixed into the reflector
My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-dsc_0934.jpg

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-dsc_0940.jpg

3. Resealed the glass
My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-dsc_0945.jpg

4. Fitted back on the car
My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-dsc_0954.jpg

5. Angel eyes on!
My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-dsc_0956.jpg
My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-dsc_0957.jpg
My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-dsc_0958.jpg

Last edited by keyur : 9th April 2012 at 14:03.
keyur is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 14:36   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nice pics! And that was quite a day (and evening)
Tell me about it - I had to even give up on my precious afternoon siesta
Quote:
The cost (depending on the shrouds) is between 11K and 12.5k (fitting was done free of cost as this was a DIY activity and this is not my source of income).
And not to forget the best part of the deal - delicious parathas (Alu/Gobi/Paneer/Methi/Mutton/Egg/etc) offered as incentive : Buy 1 projector kit, get Parathas free!

Quote:
Now the pics :
Danke!
Old 9th April 2012, 14:43   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Tell me about it - I had to even give up on my precious afternoon siesta
Yeah - you were so sleepy, you were ready to sleep right there in the parking . At that point, you were probably ready to go home without the headlights! It's a wonder you woke up and met up for the night-time leveling!

Quote:
And not to forget the best part of the deal - delicious parathas (Alu/Gobi/Paneer/Methi/Mutton/Egg/etc) offered as incentive : Buy 1 projector kit, get Parathas free!
Dude, you forgot the free fitting and the hands on training from the one and only. And if you had not been so sleepy, we would have had some really tasty veg puffs and lassi!

I think I am gonna stop doing the installs - else I will have to give up my current line of work and get into this full time!
(I need to set up shop and start charging for all these things )
Old 9th April 2012, 15:21   #356
BHPian

Quote:
A link here for what I am doing.
Keyur, great work! Your DIY work (on your thread) threw me back into old days filled with breadboards, PCBs, ferric chloride and the sweet smell of a clean solder joint!

Quote:
A few more pics below!

2. Projector fixed into the reflector
[center]Attachment 913856
Tell me, does this projector setup remove the feature which allows you to change the level of the headlight throw? It is not too evident from the photos.

Edit: Yes, I can see that the leveling is still available. I answered my own question here!

Last edited by nileshch : 9th April 2012 at 15:25.
Old 9th April 2012, 15:31   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Keyur, great work! Your DIY work (on your thread) threw me back into old days filled with breadboards, PCBs, ferric chloride and the sweet smell of a clean solder joint!
He he! Always feels good, the sizzle and the smell of the flux!

Quote:
Tell me, does this projector setup remove the feature which allows you to change the level of the headlight throw? It is not too evident from the photos.
Yes, we are fitting this into the reflector as it is. I have specifically chosen the Plug and Play projectors that fit directly into the reflectors of H4 and H7 lamps. No cutting required (except for a small slot in the Vento as the VW guys were cheap in not providing a headlight deflector / glare cutting cap).

Hence leveling remains intact!
Old 9th April 2012, 16:00   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Projector Setup Details
Quote:
A bit of gyaan here :
That's an excellent DiY, wished if we could have had more images. I had trouble removing the headlight assembly in my Vento while replacing bulbs to Philips white light, so in the end, had to work in constrained space. Could get some gyan on DiY from you.

Sorry for nitpicking(Ninja & Keyur).
From the images it appears that the parking light bulb(W5W) has been removed, since Angel Eyes does the job of it.

But the angel eyes wont get activated during the day as the DRL do? You would need to switch on the parking light in Vento, which would result in turning on rear tail light and interior lights just to have angel eyes visible during the day. Which defeats the purpose of angel eyes.

Why don't you configure it as such when the car is switched on, the angel eyes to get started and remain lit till the car engine is on, just as in BMW. Just a suggestion, I know its easy said than done.
Old 9th April 2012, 16:45   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
I had trouble removing the headlight assembly in my Vento while replacing bulbs to Philips white light, so in the end, had to work in constrained space. Could get some gyan on DiY from you.
Removing the Vento lights is easier done than said (really!)

Open the 2 hex headed screws on the headlamp mounting plates.
Remove the 2 other screws that hold the cover plate in place.
Hold the lamp (one hand inside and one outside) and give a clean quick pull - there are 2 latches that get released.
Dont pull too hard - just enough to release the lamp - then remove all connectors (look for the press release clips)

Quote:
Why don't you configure it as such when the car is switched on, the angel eyes to get started and remain lit till the car engine is on, just as in BMW. Just a suggestion, I know its easy said than done.
The actual idea is to do it that way, but it needs quite a bit of wiring. I have done the same for my car's angel eyes, but that takes a lot of time.

I have done ninja's Vento's wiring by making a few connectors - so once we need to get the external switch, we can easily unplug them and add the relay/switch combo. (This is easier said than done)
Old 9th April 2012, 17:04   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
Quote:
A few more pics and a lot more to come here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks