Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2012, 07:53   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dhanno meets Banno – My Silver Civic VMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
sad for your car.. but what happened to the dog?
When the accident happened, by the time i realized what just happened, checked the rear view mirror, checked the front info display for any obvious signs of trouble and then look for safe spot on the side to finally stop, it was few 100 meters.

After coming out of the car ensuring everyone was all right, checked the frontal damage and then walked back few 100 meters to a weighing bridge that i had crossed to ask were we were. Did looked for the dog during this time but did not find him.

The dog crashed on the left side bumper, then flew above my car slightly touching the roof, he did not come under the wheels.

So the short answer is i do not know.
Old 21st July 2012, 12:44   #122
Senior - BHPian

Very sorry to hear about the incident Mayank. It always happens to one who maintains his car in a very pristine condition. Glad to know that you got the right support from Honda at midnight.

What speeds were you doing when you hit the dog? The extent of the damage looks more to me. I have couple of friends who had incidents with dogs at speeds 80, 90 kmph but the end result was just a broken, misaligned bumper and repair costs were around 2-4K.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 21st July 2012 at 12:45.
Old 21st July 2012, 14:37   #123
Senior - BHPian

I was consistantly doing ~100, at that specific point i would have been little slower than 100 as there was a mild curve that i had passed, and before the curve had taken foot off the accelerator.

As explained by the surveyor the damage depends on many of variables like speed, angle of impact, size of the animal and finally the car.

If you see the bumper it had not gone inside and stayed there. So most probably it went in and then damaged the radiator etc and then the bumper came back in shape due to elasticity and in the process ejecting the animal.
Old 22nd July 2012, 08:24   #124
Senior - BHPian

How many times do you check your Driving License?

My Driving License is always in the wallet and it never occurred to me that i should check it once a month (atleast), if not more. It was probably a year since i had opened the section were the DL was kept.

Dhanno meets Banno – My Silver Civic VMT-2012-july-my-dl-front.jpeg

Ladies and Gentleman, that's my Driving License. I know uploading pictures with personal data shouldn't be done, but in this case even i cannot make out if this is me in the picture let alone the surveyor or the traffic cop.
  • Especially DL's issued few years back in Bangalore are known to have this problem. So if you have been issued/reissued DL in recent past do check your license regularly.
  • Also ensure you keep a scanned copy of the same in digital format.
  • The original one was issued in 1993, this one was a address change and reissue from Bangalore RTO in 2009. It didnt survive 5 years . Validity till 2013.
  • Bangalore RTO would not renew the license expiring next year, they would only take renew request one month before the actual expiry date.
So, what should one do if one has to produce license looking like this when there is time to claim insurance. Wait for the reissued license to come (That may take upto 25 day), not the right solution.

There is something called License Extract, its a text form of your license issued, signed, sealed by RTO and it takes no more than a day. It has all the information minus the photograph and with another photo ID it becomes a valid proof till the permanent license arrives.

Point to note the current DL's issued by Bangalore RTO are better in terms of surviving the abuse.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 22nd July 2012 at 08:28.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 12:17   #125
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the accident Mayank.

You are right, low slung sedans have a distinct disadvantage when such an unfortunate accident happens. The dog might have gone beneath a truck or a bus and just escaped without any hurt due to the high GC of those vehicles.

Sometimes one can't react at all - don't blame yourself.

Btw, thanks for the tips on DL.
Old 24th July 2012, 14:03   #126
BHPian

Sad to read about the incident, I never drove a Civic, but as such I felt the headlights are not enough for highway driving. Either you need to be on high-beam or upgrade, I did an upgrade on my 2009 City. I went with Philips Xtreme and quite satisfied with the outcome. It's the same spec as stock bulbs but give a wider range and confidence.
Old 24th July 2012, 16:57   #127
Senior - BHPian

@nilanjan, Thanks for the words, i have surely become more careful, especially when it comes to bushes. I blamed myself not because of the accident but for the fact i was driving knowingly this can happen, especially when its quiet lonely, still not being careful. These lines always ring in my ears even when i am not watching the movie.

A good pilot is compelled to evaluate what's happened, so he can apply what he's learned. Up there, we gotta push it. That's our job. It's your option, Lieutenant. All yours.

@Raghu, although in this specific case powerful headlamps wouldn't have helped as the dog came from behind the bushes, but i agree in some different scenario when the longer throw can remove any chance of surprises it will certainly help. Thanks for the suggestion, will take a look at those.
Old 30th July 2012, 22:23   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
01 July 2012

While riving back from Nagpur to Hyderabad on our return journey, at around 0045 hrs, 30Kms before Hyderabad, over empty, lonely roads, with feeble traffic, on a sedate speed a dog decided to jump from the bushes in between on to the road in front of the car.

It was so close that there was hardly any time to react and the unthinkable happened (The Accident), second one after full 5 years.

Got down to check damage, the bumper was broken, so was a radiator and when started the car was heating up. Decided to call the Honda Care and within 45mins the guy with a flat-bed truck shows up to take the car to Sundaram Honda.
I just couldn't help but think 'Are these really bad times for us Civic owners?'. I mean, after me and Sumeet, yours is the third Civic in the forum that has met with an accident in a span of few weeks. This is totally unfortunate. The biggest consolation is that all of us escaped unhurt.

Having said that, that is an unbelievably quick response from Honda at odd hours.
Quote:
  • I used to think why folks drive over the middle line on a 2x2 NH Highway. Now i know why. Its safer to be away form the Bushes.
Not now, I almost always drive over the middle line on 4-laned highways if there isn't much traffic ahead and behind. That is not to block way but only for my inherited fear of something coming out of the bushes all of a sudden. You just can't trust Indian roads.
Quote:
  • Another thing to worry about in Night Driving (Animals), as if existing ones were not enough.
This is yet another thing that I religiously follow. I make sure that all my drives are planned in such a way that there is no driving beyond 10:00 PM and before 04:00 AM.

Anyways, its good to see that the car is back in good shape in Bangalore now.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 12:24   #129
Senior - BHPian

The latest pictures of the car, after the repairs. Runs like a dream as of now. Tried the Car Spa in the Total Mall on Sarjapur Road. Not very happy with the experience, the wash was clean but the car did not had smooth surface, which i expect it to have after a shampoo wash.

Dhanno meets Banno – My Silver Civic VMT-20120803_121843.jpg

Dhanno meets Banno – My Silver Civic VMT-20120803_121910.jpg

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 6th August 2012 at 12:26.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 14:08   #130
Senior - BHPian

For last few months, every time i took the car out from the parking lot (Which is cemented floor) there used to be tik-tik sound that used to come from Left side. I knew it had to be some stone that must be stuck in the tyre groove and making sound when driven on hard floor. Usually these sounds go away, as stones keep falling when car runs at higher speeds, but this one did not.

Finally i spent few days locating and pulling out all the stones from the tyres hoping the irritating sound would go away, but it did not. That's when it struck me that it could be something else.

Along with the noise the tyres were also loosing pressure, but not significantly so as to suspect puncture.

So decided to get it checked and found this.

Dhanno meets Banno – My Silver Civic VMT-puncture-1.jpg

Surprisingly the air pressure loss was negligible, looking at the size of the bolt it was difficult to believe.

Apart from the bolt puncture, we found two tyres had air leaking through the nozzle. Got them replaced as well.

Other than that, keeping the Honda lineage, the car keeps running on-and-on without any trouble what-so-ever. Nothing much to report. Was hoping for a long drive around Diwali time but things at the job made me drop the idea.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 14th November 2012 at 14:11.
Old 14th November 2012, 14:13   #131
Team-BHP Support

Mayank, Have you tried this place? http://www.speedcarwash.com/schemes-offers.htm

They just opened up a few weeks back. They are located in the lane opposite to the fire station just after total mall. Need to check it out. Seems it's a chain of car wash facilities and this is first on in bangalore.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2013, 12:53   #132
Senior - BHPian

Today the first damage was done. On the service lane going towards Bellandur (Right next to Madhuloka) i was on my side one i10 guy coming from opposite side and to avoid a ditch on his side of road slightly curved towards me and the side rear view mirrors of both cars touched.

The mirrors on my Civic came out and broke. How do i get this fixed, does this mean i need to replace the whole mirror assembly?
Old 2nd February 2013, 13:40   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The mirrors on my Civic came out and broke. How do i get this fixed, does this mean i need to replace the whole mirror assembly?
Join the club.

Toyota sells the following pieces for the ORVM:

1. Full assembly
2. only mirror
3. outer case
4. turn indicator light

SO you should be able to get the mirror only. For me the outer cover and indicator broke in the same way but the mirror was intact. Mirror was hit hard by a swift doing exact same thing.

Incase Honda does get it for you, it should be easily available in teh market. Just make sure it is genuine and is convex type not flat.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:27   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Join the club.
Thank you .

Gave it for service, (4th) Non free one this time. The overall service cost came to about 1700 INR which included fixing the bumper the mirror (Which cost about INR 300. The car is running really well, every drive is fun and painless, waiting for some highway runs. Fuel efficiency is almost always above 11.
Old 27th November 2013, 16:04   #135
Senior - BHPian

The car crossed ~23K on the odometer, its been 2 years since it came home and 24K in 2 years turns out to be about 1K per month.

Last week took it for a 3000K drive across India. Bangalore to Raipur and back. It behaved very well over smooth and bad roads.

While returning for about 30mins the AC had some trouble. I could feel cold air being blown, but most of it was not coming through the vent on the dashboard. Looks like some air duct is loose and went out of place while crossing bad roads near Nagpur.

Few mins later the problem corrected itself, and the AC ducts started blowing cold air. Not sure, if i should leave it as it is or get it checked.

It returned on an average about 15Kms per lt for the overall trip, which included some fast and very slow driving. All it now needs is probably a good wash.

Sometimes i felt while driving through the night somewhere near Nagpur that the headlamps arent sufficiently bright. Has someone found a solution to this problem, or atleast has noticed it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks