Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2013, 13:47   #271
Senior - BHPian

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Quote:
I have no frame of reference as I have not owned either a SUV or a Diesel vehicle in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
It also depends upon the speed and engine rpm. If you are cruising @ 80 km/h to 90 km/h about 1600+ rpm in 6th gear mileage is more or less 18 kmpl with ac turned on.

The trick is to maintain about 1500 - 1600 rpm in all gears to get most mileage.

O' boy I'm confused here then it leads to question, whether it is necessary to be @ 2000 rpm to change gear up?
2k RPM on each gear is kinda rough.

1st gear just a 5 M crawl, I up shift to 2nd gear. I upshift on 2nd too, early and 3rd is the real gear that does all the work.

This is a how i drive my swift D.

Purely from a TC diesel perspective.

If I were to upshift at 2K rpm the corresponding speeds for my swift would be
1st - 10kmph
2nd - 40kmph
3rd - 60 kmph
4th - 90kmph

My actual upshift speeds are

1st - 5kmph
2nd - 20kmph
3rd - 30kmph
4th - 40kmph

My advice would be " Up shift as soon as you hear the turbo spooling "

Last edited by F150 : 14th January 2013 at 13:53.
F150 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 13:58   #272
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Quote:
It also depends upon the speed and engine rpm. If you are cruising @ 80 km/h to 90 km/h about 1600+ rpm in 6th gear mileage is more or less 18 kmpl with ac turned on.
In my opinion, for a vehicle which has a 6th gear, for a vehicle which is designed for highway cruising, 80-90kmph in 6th should not be the sweet spot. Should be more like 100-110 kmph.

Quote:
The trick is to maintain about 1500 - 1600 rpm in all gears to get most mileage.
Sorry, have a different opinion here. Although I have no access to power-torque curves for the XUV, I believe that 1500-1600rpm is BELOW the turbo range. I would tend to believe that 1800-1900 rpm is the sweet spot. Again, this is a gut feel and I don't have any data to prove that. Looking at the FE numbers that I am getting, may be I don't even have a clue.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 14:01   #273
Senior - BHPian

Here is the data sire !!

Quoting from the official review.

Quote:
Start driving, and you wonder if Mahindra pulled a fast one on you by calling the engine turbo-charged. There is very minimal turbo lag! You can drop the engine to a mere 1,200 rpm, floor the accelerator and the powerplant still pulls the XUV along without any hesitation whatsoever. Urban driveability is astoundingly good. No surprise as the XUV5OO makes 20 BHP over the Scorpio, has 6 gears to use that power and is 60 odd kilos lighter. The distinctly short first and second gear ratios are a boon for city commuting, and you will rarely need to downshift for that gap opening up in traffic.

There is a nice, strong tug from the engine past 1,800 rpm and it stays right till the redline.
Turbo is spooling at 1800rpm

Last edited by F150 : 14th January 2013 at 14:05.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 14:11   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
In my opinion, for a vehicle which has a 6th gear, for a vehicle which is designed for highway cruising, 80-90kmph in 6th should not be the sweet spot. Should be more like 100-110 kmph.

Sorry, have a different opinion here. Although I have no access to power-torque curves for the XUV, I believe that 1500-1600rpm is BELOW the turbo range. I would tend to believe that 1800-1900 rpm is the sweet spot. Again, this is a gut feel and I don't have any data to prove that. Looking at the FE numbers that I am getting, may be I don't even have a clue.
I came with the figure of 1500 - 1600rpm with my personal experience. When I keep the vehicle in this power band , I am getting 17+ mileage with AC running, of course in highway.

I normally shift after 2000+ rpm only. & in my case 6th gear comes upward of 100+ only.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 14:17   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
5. A bit disappointed to get 11.54 kmpl after all of this. What this means is that, if I use AC (which I have to) and if I lower the tyre-pressure to 32 and 30 psi (again, which I have to), the city mileage is going to be worse than 11.5.
Are you sure that the pump you fill diesel if proper one? It is taking 68 litres of diesel on last occasion you filled. Try to change you pump and see if any difference it has made.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 15:00   #276
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Here is the data sire !!
Quoting from the official review.
Turbo is spooling at 1800rpm
Quote:
I came with the figure of 1500 - 1600rpm with my personal experience. When I keep the vehicle in this power band , I am getting 17+ mileage with AC running, of course in highway.

I normally shift after 2000+ rpm only. & in my case 6th gear comes upward of 100+ only.
Gentlemen, thanks for the inputs. With the turbo kicking in, efficiency should go up. In that case, I am unable to understand, if the turbo starts spooling at 1800rpm, how come the mileage sweet point is in the 1500-1600rpm. In fact other scorpio owners have commented that we might be lugging the engine at low rpm.

More confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Are you sure that the pump you fill diesel if proper one? It is taking 68 litres of diesel on last occasion you filled. Try to change you pump and see if any difference it has made.
Anuj, yes, you got a point there. Thanks!
XUV has a tank of ~75 litres and today morning it was showing DTE as 65kms when I filled up. So 68 litres seem more or less in the correct range. Another point is, although I call Vikhroli Automobiles (BP) at Gandhinagar junction as my "regular" bunk, half of my refills have been on the highways during my out of station trips.

Good point nevertheless. Its definitely a variable. Let me try a different pump next time. May be a HP COCO one.
Old 14th January 2013, 17:39   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
XUV has a tank of ~75 litres
I think it is 70 liters only. I just checked the XUV specification. Even, I drive Safari and it has 65 liter tank and it takes accurately 65 liters into it.

With this, I can accurately estimate at any pump how much diesel it will take while filling diesel.
Old 14th January 2013, 18:08   #278
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Received a couple of requests to share the XLS which I use for tracking the expenses.

Sharing:
XUV expense tracking.xlsx
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 20:42   #279
BHPian

Re: Running repairs on 12th Jan 2013

Quote:
To be really frank, I do not know what to expect. I have no frame of reference as I have not owned either a SUV or a Diesel vehicle in the past.

Currently I am basing my expectations on what others are reporting for the XUV.

With 0% AC, 13 kmpl in city, 17 kmpl on highway.
With 50% AC (25 degrees), 12 kmpl in city and 16 kmpl on highway.
With 100% AC (25 degrees), 11 kmpl in city and 15 kmpl on highway.

Not sure, if this is a realistic expectation for the XUV5OO. Any opinions?

Am using my XUV mainly in Bangalore. With 100% AC and the stop/start switched on, am getting a mileage between 10.5-11.5 kmpl depending on the traffic situations and the roads I drive on. I use an android app to calculate the mileage and it sort off matches with the data on the infotainment system. I trust the app 100% as I had been using it for almost a year and for 2 cars before XUV.

The last highway trip was to Kerala almost 2 months back and before the first service was done. I got a mileage of 14.5 (as per infotainment) with 100% AC and top speed in the range of 70-130km/h depending again on the road condition and traffic. And a fully loaded car - 5 adults, one baby and the third row with full luggage.

I believe these are good figures considering the size of the car and other parameters.

Quote:
Running repairs on 12th Jan 2013

Had taken an appointment 4 days back.
Had called up my RM before taking the appointment. Call went un-answered at 9:30am. Tried to call 2 more times during the day, but got the message that he is busy on another call. Gave up and called up reception for the appointment. The RM did not bother to call back. Not even sure if my number is stored in his cell.
If you are having issues with your RM, I would suggest dropping a mail to the Mahindra customer care. Am sure the area manager would be getting in touch with you in no time. At times there is no other way than going the escalation way especially considering we had put our hard earned money at stake. Every time I remember this, I just forget everything else and take whatever step is required to ensure the best for my car.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 22:40   #280
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
With 0% AC, 13 kmpl in city, 17 kmpl on highway.
With 50% AC (25 degrees), 12 kmpl in city and 16 kmpl on highway.
With 100% AC (25 degrees), 11 kmpl in city and 15 kmpl on highway.

Not sure, if this is a realistic expectation for the XUV5OO. Any opinions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Am using my XUV mainly in Bangalore. With 100% AC and the stop/start switched on, am getting a mileage between 10.5-11.5 kmpl depending on the traffic situations and the roads I drive on. I use an android app to calculate the mileage and it sort off matches with the data on the infotainment system. I trust the app 100% as I had been using it for almost a year and for 2 cars before XUV.

The last highway trip was to Kerala almost 2 months back and before the first service was done. I got a mileage of 14.5 (as per infotainment) with 100% AC and top speed in the range of 70-130km/h depending again on the road condition and traffic. And a fully loaded car - 5 adults, one baby and the third row with full luggage.

I believe these are good figures considering the size of the car and other parameters.
Thanks fundagenie!
So looks like my expectations about the FE I should be getting are not too far off from what you are actually getting with 100% AC.

Last edited by SDP : 14th January 2013 at 22:42.
Old 17th January 2013, 17:32   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
I use an android app to calculate the mileage and it sort off matches with the data on the infotainment system. I trust the app 100% as I had been using it for almost a year and for 2 cars before XUV.
Hi fundagenie. Which app do you use for calculating the mileage?

SDP, any results after the air filter cleaning?
Old 17th January 2013, 18:05   #282
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus_500 View Post

Too early to say. Have driven just 80kms after the air-filter cleaning and system-flashing. The infortainment system is showing a FE of 13.1kmpl currently. I will wait till next tank-full.
Old 17th January 2013, 18:34   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Too early to say. Have driven just 80kms after the air-filter cleaning and system-flashing. The infortainment system is showing a FE of 13.1kmpl currently. I will wait till next tank-full.
I actually find the mileage shown on the Infotainment display to be far off what I am actually getting. Recently did a 4800km round trip from Trivandrum to Bombay. Was getting an average mileage of 12.4kmpl, as per the display. However, when I measured it via tankful method, the mileage was easily coming up to 14.7.

During the first service, I asked my RM about this. He was arguing that a difference of ~3kmpl is expected. That equates to about 20% variance! I find that absolutely unacceptable. Either ways, I didn't want to waste too much time arguing with him. But yeah long story short, i have given up looking at the infotainment display mileage.
Old 17th January 2013, 19:03   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus_500

Its called fuellog. in the trial version you can add 2 cars. And you get a good amount of info like projected monthly, annual fuel expense etc. And there are options to note additional expenses like service charges etc.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 23:08   #285
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I actually find the mileage shown on the Infotainment display to be far off what I am actually getting. Recently did a 4800km round trip from Trivandrum to Bombay. Was getting an average mileage of 12.4kmpl, as per the display. However, when I measured it via tankful method, the mileage was easily coming up to 14.7.
Now, that's interesting! Are you sure, you are not swapping the numbers? Generally the MIDs paint a rosy picture about the mileage and give higher than actual kmpl. Based on what you are saying, Mahindra's seem to have taken an exact opposite approach and calibrated the mileage indication conservatively.
I have never really tried the mileage indicator for a complete tank. So I am not sure if it indicates higher or lower. Let me try that in my current tankful.

Quote:
During the first service, I asked my RM about this. He was arguing that a difference of ~3kmpl is expected. That equates to about 20% variance! I find that absolutely unacceptable. Either ways, I didn't want to waste too much time arguing with him. But yeah long story short, i have given up looking at the infotainment display mileage.
I currently use it just as a guide. I know its not the 'instantaneous' type (like in Vento/City), but still gives a broad idea about how one should drive (if the traffic conditions permit).

Last edited by SDP : 17th January 2013 at 23:10.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks