Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2013, 09:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Long Term Ownership - My Scorpio Mhawk

Have been procrastinating this LTOR for quite some time and as always it was my work schedules and personal life which took away a major chunk of my time.

As the title states, this report is about the maintenance costs involved, an owners review of having owned the M-hawk for over 3 years now and getting used to the Scorpio's self healing technics.

The Initial Ownership report can be accessed here (Somebody's home : Voila its the MHawk " 5th service done). The buying experience and everything else has been mentioned in that thread.

It's been over 3 years and the odo reads at 43k odd clicks the ownership has been a mixed bag with almost every service(except the 1st free service) requiring a 2nd visit to the garage to get some new niggle sorted out. Many a times I have dealt with complete nincompoops at the service center who dint have a clue of what I was talking about .

Finally a word with the service works manager would yield results. This again not without having my fair share of headaches.

One of my all time favorite picture.

Long Term Ownership - My Scorpio Mhawk-vagamon.jpg
I will list the service costs first and then list the problems I have had with the scorpio in the last 3.5 years time.
  • 1st service
Quote:
I was billed 2237/- for the change of GB oil, oil filters and engine oil.
I drove the Scorpio for 5k kms with the stock bridgestone duelers and had enough of it with a trip to Vagamon.

Jan 2010 changed the tires to Geolanders -AT and the costs involved have been put up here (Somebody's home : Voila its the MHawk " 5th service done).

Quote:
Here's what the deal was like

6450/- x 4 for the ATS
2500/- per tire for my older BS Dueler's which had run 5k.
Alignment and balancing free. Please do the math yourself. I know the price was a steal,well it was too sweet of a deal for me to let go off.
  • Long Term Ownership - My Scorpio Mhawk-dsc_5880-large.jpg
    Long Term Ownership - My Scorpio Mhawk-geoats.jpg
  • 2nd Service
The cost was zilch , 377/- bucks is what I paid.
Quote:
Only consumable was the gear box oil change which amounted to 377/- INR.
  • 3rd Service
Quote:

Interior Cleaning = 600.00
Wheel Alignment = 375.00
Wheel Balancing = 500.00
Re-fixing AC vent = 120.00
================================================== ====
Total = 1595.00 + taxes
  • 4th Service
Quote:
Rubber Stopper = 7.00
Tail Lamp Bulb = 12.44
Oil Filter Element = 132.38
Fuel Filter = 1425.53
Washing = 450
General Paid Service = 2700.00
Engine Flushing = 682.00
Fabrication Work = 120.00
==================================
Final Bill + Taxes = 6150/-
==================================
  • 5th Service
Quote:
-------------------------------------Rate-------- Taxable-----------
Consumables ----------------------- 100.00------- 100.00
Front Wiper Blade -------------------199.89--------399.78
Kit Shim Wheel Alignment-------------157.02--------157.02
Carry Out HPL Service----------------450.00
General Paid Service---------------- 2700.00
Wheel Balancing--------------------- 600.00
Wheel Alignment--------------------- 375.00

------------------------------------4125.00------- 656.80

--------------------------------Vat 14.00%--------- 91.95
----------------- Labour Service Tax 10.30%--------424.88
-------------------------------------Rounded off to 5299.00
  • 6th Service
Quote:
Fuel Filter Cartride --- 1640.17
Foam Air Cleaner --- 486.46
Kit Pads --- 4213.97
Rubber Stopper --- 7.86
Clevis Pen Pedla --- 17.47
Oil Filter Element --- 131.88
Bulb --- 17.47
White Waste --- 32.49
Color Waste --- 22.71
Ultra Coolant --- 162.28
WD40 Spray --- 84.72
WD40 Spray --- 169.44
Maximile Crown 15w40 --- 1491.72

Labor

Brake pad change --- 400
Clutch Bleeding --- 200
AC service --- 200
Replacing Air filter --- 200
Replace Diesel Filter --- 120
Replace engine oil and oil filter --- 280
Electrical Work --- 300
Interior Cleaning --- 600

==================================================
Total + taxes 12.292/-
==================================================
Post this service I raised a proper stink at IG for having charged me for cotton waste and WD40. What more ? They threw in a decent discount on the final bill and I was introduced to M&M regional service head.

Fact was that I wasn't given delivery of the vehicle as promised and with all the niggles attended to. Called the SA and started questioning him about the basic things and got him to remove the fuse box right in front of me and we found 4 blown fuses.
All through the Regional Service head was watching the fiasco and came to the rescue of the SA. Spent a good 1 hour with this gentleman explaining the pitfalls with such shoddy service and how a wonderful product is dying a premature death.
He asked me a for a days time and the scorpio was checked completely and then delivered the next day + a discount from IG. Not bad eh ?
  • 7th Service
Quote:
I opted for the regular service and topping up of fluids which came up to about 2400 bucks and taxes
Long Term Ownership - My Scorpio Mhawk-shettyhalli1-large.jpg
Long Term Ownership - My Scorpio Mhawk-shettyhalli2-large.jpg

As far the problems were concerned I had my fair share with the Scorpio
Quote:
  • The 1st ever problem was the rear right side power window deciding to go on a walk. This would work as per its mood swings and every single time at the service center the window roll up/roll down works flawlessly.It fails on me only when I leave the M&M service center. Beat that !!
  • The next problem that I faced was the brakes locking up after having parked overnight. Every single morning the brakes would lock up and I had to be very careful for the 1st few kms. This again would self heal after about 6/7 kms of driving.Turned out to be a brake MC issue and the service center fixed it promptly without too many questions.
  • The speedo plastic fascia rattle, never ending problem and still persists. After a DIY I had some peace of mind, however it's back again after the rubber inserts fell off.
  • Post the 4th service I started to experience a weird gear lever shudder issue. This again has been reported in my initial ownership thread and was fixed with the replacement of the clutch. The issue was as simple as the pinion bush not being greased by the service center during the regular service schedules . Now every service I ensure this is a part of the job card.
About 3 weeks back I rear ended a XUV. Was a major ego hit for me coz I am always careful when it comes to maintaining distance is traffic and never cutting lanes and if I did it's always after switching on the indicators, but this day was a bad one for me.

Some random dude whose testosterone levels were pretty high at 12:30pm on a Saturday decided to overtake me and cut into my lane after braking to avoid a NHC which had panic braked seeing a biker cut through. I was in the left lane and was just changing from the 2nd to 3rd gear and in a fraction of a second this dude swerved into my lane. Before the Scorpio could stop the damage was done. He had just completed 3/4th of overtaking maneuver , cut into my lane and braked. There was little I could do to stop the 2.5 tonner in time to avoid his car .

Long Term Ownership - My Scorpio Mhawk-acc1-large.jpg Long Term Ownership - My Scorpio Mhawk-acc2-large.jpg

The car was due for service before my road trip and this time for a change decided to get the servicing done at Chrome Motors, Mysore Road. Impeccable job done with the servicing and the Scorpio was delivered in 3 days flat with the repairs and service done.

The car was picked up the same Saturday from my house and delivered the next Wednesday. The whole thing was flawless with daily updates on the work progress and the insurance claim and everything else. When the scorpio was returned I went back to check on a few bushes which had fallen off over time and each of those were fixed back. Phew !! A rare thing with India Garage, Whitefield unless you keep reminding them.

Long Term Ownership - My Scorpio Mhawk-farm1-large.jpg

Long Term Ownership - My Scorpio Mhawk-farm2-large.jpg

Latest pictures from the recent kannur trip.

Long Term Ownership - My Scorpio Mhawk-kannur1-large.jpg

Long Term Ownership - My Scorpio Mhawk-kannur2-large.jpg

Long Term Ownership - My Scorpio Mhawk-kannur3-large.jpg

Apart from those occasionally rattles the Scorpio has been running flawlessly without skipping a beat. Just last weekend I finished a 800kms road trip to Kannur and was a hoot to enjoy the torque of the Scorpio.

Steadily returning a mileage of 11.xx within city limits with 100% AC and highway mileage of around 13.xx with 100% AC and a heavy foot. With a light foot the mileage increases by about a km, I have forfeited that extra 1km for now.

Life otherwise has been wonderful with the Scorpio.

I would like to thank Mr.Gourav Rao(Dy.Area Mgr ,M&M) andMr.Maqbool ,Service Works Mgr from Chrome Motors for the service provided. I can definitely say that these are the two people who have instilled my confidence back in M&M and their services.

OT : The biggest blessing is that all the data I compiled here is mostly available on this very forum. Dint have to scramble around looking for bills and service records.

Last edited by GTO : 7th March 2013 at 14:25. Reason: Adding link to other thread in bold
rjstyles69 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 10:16   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Long Term Ownership - My Scorpio Mhawk

Thread moved to the Long Term Ownership reviews section. Thanks for sharing, Riju!

Having owned a Scorpio, I truly understand the passion behind it. Mine ran with not a single issue to complain of, till it was sold.
benbsb29 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 10:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant pics, Riju. This is the stuff that M&M needs to include in their sales kit.

Plus, the detailed report with cost of ownership should help potential buyers in getting an idea of what it takes to own this truck.

Happy miles to you mate.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 10:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
It's been over 3 years and the odo reads at 43k odd clicks the ownership has been a mixed bag with almost every service(except the 1st free service) requiring a 2nd visit to the garage to get some new niggle sorted out. Many a times I have dealt with complete nincompoops at the service center who dint have a clue of what I was talking about .
Fantastic review, Riju, and as always, brilliant pics too!

I can completely identify with every word you've written in the review. But the lines quoted above are the ones that match my Scorpio ownership experience [too] the most!

Wish you many more miles and years of happy Scorpio-ing!

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 11:34   #5
rkg
Senior - BHPian

What are the service intervals in terms of milage?

Is it every 5K?

Why gear oil etc has to be changed in first service? Is it mandated by M&M?

Thanks for updating the service costs of scorpio
Old 6th March 2013, 11:50   #6
BHPian

Great concise report man !
Your Scorpio's pics were always awesome ,and with the alloys they look yummy .
cheers man !
P.S
How much more life is left in your yokos ?
slalom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 13:53   #7
BANNED

Quote:
There was little I could do to stop the 2.5 tonner in time to avoid his car
What was the damage on the XUV?? Any pics?
Quote:
I can definitely say that these are the two people who have instilled my confidence back in M&M and their services.
Two, nay, three questions:

1. Are you planning an upgrade? If so, which vehicle would you consider?
2. Do you recommend the Scorpio to friends whose needs are similar to yours and why?
3. What is the best and the worst thing about a Scorpio that you feel/have experienced?
Old 7th March 2013, 09:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

benny thanks man. How is the land down under treating you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Happy miles to you mate.
Adi thanks buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

I can completely identify with every word you've written in the review. But the lines quoted above are the ones that match my Scorpio ownership experience [too] the most!

Wish you many more miles and years of happy Scorpio-ing!

Cheers,
Vikram
vikram thanks dude. I am mostly shifting to Chrome Motors for service next time onwards. Pretty competent incomparo to IG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
What are the service intervals in terms of milage?
Is it every 5K?
Why gear oil etc has to be changed in first service? Is it mandated by M&M?
Thanks for updating the service costs of scorpio
rkg only the 1st and 2nd service is as at an interval of 5k kms and I followed it as per the manual. Post which all recommended services are at 10k. I stick to a regular 5k service schedule which involves topping up of all fluids and checking parts which wear out over time.

Every 10k I change the engine oil and the consumables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
Great concise report man !
Your Scorpio's pics were always awesome ,and with the alloys they look yummy .
cheers man !
P.S
How much more life is left in your yokos ?
slalom thanks. Yokos will easily last another 20k kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
What was the damage on the XUV?? Any pics?
Two, nay, three questions:

1. Are you planning an upgrade? If so, which vehicle would you consider?
2. Do you recommend the Scorpio to friends whose needs are similar to yours and why?
3. What is the best and the worst thing about a Scorpio that you feel/have experienced?
dev that's an episode I put behind and never bothered to click any pictures.

As of now no plans to upgrade, I will hold on to this for another 2 years and will be in the market for a newer SUV.
As far recommending the scorpio goes, YES only for that gem of an engine and nothing else. The A$$ in terms of quality still has a long way to go.

Suspension needs to be improved, if possible reduce the ridiculous height of this SUV and a few other finer aspects.
Old 7th March 2013, 11:06   #9
BHPian

Riju - One of the best looking scorpio in town.

Quote:
Suspension needs to be improved, if possible reduce the ridiculous height of this SUV and a few other finer aspects.
Is there any after market suspension you would recommend for scorpio?
Old 7th March 2013, 12:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Riju - One of the best looking scorpio in town.
Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Is there any after market suspension you would recommend for scorpio?
Pete's does have something from the Bilstein line up, you might want to check with RRP also. I am pretty sure they should have something for the scorpio too.
Old 7th March 2013, 16:24   #11
BHPian

Its a Stunner, Riju bhai. Been quietly following pretty much all your threads - initial ownership, travelogue's, upgrades (ICE, Seat Covers, Alloys ). Very few can carry out some of the best modifications of a Scorp and you're right on top.

The cost of ownership is definitely in par with some sedans or may be even some hatchbacks. Though, in my case I had to shell out a little more, the past one year or so, its been around the same price as yours.

Wish you lakhs of happy miles with the beast.
aviorp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 09:02   #12
BHPian

Hi Rjstyles69

I had followed your initial ownership thread and just started to read this one as well. First up. Lovely pictures. The ones with brown grass and a white Scorpio look awesome. The same can be said about the one on the beach.

I had only once tried Mahindra - when I learnt on a 3 gear Jeep maybe 25 years ago. More recently I had gone to Mahindra to check out XUV 500. Something about the initial niggles held me back and I opted for Ertiga. I must say while reading on the recent Indo-ASEAN expedition I was impressed with XUV. Though several reported minor sensor malfunction and the like.

I must say Scorpio has evolved really well. Hundreds of Scorpios operate in Leh and hundreds of travellors make Scorpio their first choice when driving on a long expedition.

A couple of quick asks -

a) are there any parts that you have had to replace before their 'end of life'?
b) How long do you plan to keep this vehicle?
c) If you were to sell it today would you consider another Mahindra for your next vehicle?
d) Have you had a time to call their 24/7 number and get a roadside assistance in all these years? If yes how good was that service?
e) any push back you heard from Mahindra SA on any claim on warranty? Like the extra headlights or an outside fitment of music system or Pete/RD box etc?

Appreciate the long term ownership thread. Wishing long long and safe journey's on the Scorpio.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 09:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Lovely Riju, I first looked at the pics and then started reading, your Scorpio always manages to stand out, those alloys add a lot of character to the Scorpio, your Geolandars have done approx 38k kms now I would assume, they will last you another 35k kms easily, my Michelins are still good at 73k kms now, these AT tyres, if used on normal roads last and last.
We must do another round of photography soon.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 09:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Lovely Riju, I first looked at the pics and then started reading, your Scorpio always manages to stand out, those alloys add a lot of character to the Scorpio, your Geolandars have done approx 38k kms now I would assume, they will last you another 35k kms easily, now, these AT tyres, if used on normal roads last and last.
We must do another round of photography soon.
What Michelin's are those,My Scorpio's Michelin Latitude Cross are almost Eol at 45K kms.
Old 8th March 2013, 09:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What Michelin's are those,My Scorpio's Michelin Latitude Cross are almost Eol at 45K kms
I have Michelin LTX AT2, currently my odo reads 74k kms and my tyre dealer asks me not to buzz him for another 5k kms at least.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks