Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2014, 14:46   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna CRDI - 100,000 Kms and Beyond

[Update on 1.2 Lakh km service]
Hi folks,

Took the car for 1,20,000 km service to Popular Hyundai, on 31 Jan 2014. It was just a general service - the major areas that needed attention were as follows

- General service (oil change, oil filter, air filter replacement)
- The left rear window motor went kaput some two weeks prior to the service, so had to go for a new winder (assembly)
- Rattling sounds
- Front left park light needed replacement

The total cost came to ~8400/-, of which ~40% went for the left rear window stuff.
Attaching an image of the bill (pardon the poor quality since it is from my mobile)

In addition to the routine service, I also did a front suspension overhaul (it was done in another workshop, since I know the mechanic there). Will post the details later.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna CRDI - 100,000 Kms and Beyond-0203201412121.jpg  

Last edited by vivekkr_99 : 2nd March 2014 at 14:51. Reason: Minor correction
vivekkr_99 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 13:28   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safeer View Post
Yes its better to get the timing belt replaced at the earliest. From Viveks initial posting in this thread, the cost is 19K maybe including pulleys and labour, which is ok for a 85Kish run vehicle. Hope you too cross the 1L Kms milestone as a happy Verna owner!
My beast has gone for the 90k service today. Estimate given for this service which includes all fluids replacement, engine oil flush and change, etc is 10,500
Reason given for the higher estimate-
Hyundai has hiked the price of spares and repair :-(
I had reported sound from right side suspension, at noon the service advisor calls me and says the sound is due to timing chain. It has worn out and needs replacement. Estimate given 35K and vehicle will be returned only after 4 days :O
The sound from engine while the car is idle is quite feeble. Wasn't sure whether the replacement at the moment was necessary or could have been avoided until next service.
Didn't want to take chances and have asked the service advisor to go ahead with the timing chain, all 4 guides and 2 tensioner replacement. Feeling quite helpless, hope the price is reasonable and I'm not being taken for a ride with a higher quote.
Hyundai service is getting expensive day by day, gives all the more reason for the next car to be a Maruti.
Old 1st June 2014, 18:08   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanz View Post
My beast has gone for the 90k service today. Estimate given for this service which includes all fluids replacement, engine oil flush and change, etc is 10,500
Reason given for the higher estimate-
Hyundai has hiked the price of spares and repair :-(
I had reported sound from right side suspension, at noon the service advisor calls me and says the sound is due to timing chain. It has worn out and needs replacement. Estimate given 35K and vehicle will be returned only after 4 days :O
The sound from engine while the car is idle is quite feeble. Wasn't sure whether the replacement at the moment was necessary or could have been avoided until next service.
Didn't want to take chances and have asked the service advisor to go ahead with the timing chain, all 4 guides and 2 tensioner replacement. Feeling quite helpless, hope the price is reasonable and I'm not being taken for a ride with a higher quote.
Hyundai service is getting expensive day by day, gives all the more reason for the next car to be a Maruti.
Hmm... yes agree with you. I used to take my car to HASS for periodic service til now. For the 1.25 Lakh (interim) service, I gave it outside, and the total comes to ~3000/. The major work done given below (prices at HASS given in brackets)

Engine Oil replacement - 1400/- (1400/- at HASS)
Oil Filter - 400/- (400/- at HASS)
Periodic Maintenance, Front/Rear Brake overhaul, Rattling fix in the front bonnet and windows, Air filter cleaning, fluid topup - 700 (2200 at HASS for maintenance and Front/Rear brake overhaul only)
Tyre rotation/alignment - 400/-

As far as I know, the cost of spare parts is a bit on the higher side when we replace them from ASS, since they tend to replace the entire kit, instead of only the faulty parts. And that is where, the FNG comes to our help (particularly when the car is old and mechanical components are involved).

-Vivek
vivekkr_99 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 23:41   #34
BHPian

Quick update on the periodic service. Did the 1.3 Lakhs service a couple of weeks back. Just normal jobs including oil and oil filter change - total cost came to 4700/-.
There are slight rattling sounds from the backside speakers and front the dashboard (I guess from the area around instrument console). Apart from those noises due to old age, no other noticeable issues.

No issues with the mileage as well till now. I'm still getting 16 kms within city, and 20+ kmpl in highway runs within Kerala.
In fact, last week I had filled diesel for 2000/- (~31 litres) and could cover 620 kms with a mix of city and highway drive (~350 kms highway and the rest within city).
vivekkr_99 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 00:54   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekkr_99 View Post
Quick update on the periodic service. Did the 1.3 Lakhs service a couple of weeks back. Just normal jobs including oil and oil filter change - total cost came to 4700/-.
There are slight rattling sounds from the backside speakers and front the dashboard (I guess from the area around instrument console). Apart from those noises due to old age, no other noticeable issues.

No issues with the mileage as well till now. I'm still getting 16 kms within city, and 20+ kmpl in highway runs within Kerala.
In fact, last week I had filled diesel for 2000/- (~31 litres) and could cover 620 kms with a mix of city and highway drive (~350 kms highway and the rest within city).
Well nice going there mate. My cousin owns one and he has become a fan of yours after reading this thread. His is 2010 and has only done 45, 000 kms. But the major problem was the ASC is expensive and now we give it to a local garage. Wishing you even more happy miles
Old 29th September 2014, 01:07   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Vivek ,
I too owned this car and thoroughly enjoyed every drive with it.The turbo which kicks is as addictive as smoking weed
The car was with me till it clocked 93k and I let it go.The only major changes that happened during close to 6 years ownership was the clutch & suspension including shock absorbers. Apart from that it was always regular periodic maintenance and was never heavy on the pocket.
Great to see you're beast is keeping well and crunching miles as usual.
Drive safe & keep us updated.

Cheers,
pdma.
Old 29th September 2014, 22:20   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
Well nice going there mate. My cousin owns one and he has become a fan of yours after reading this thread. His is 2010 and has only done 45, 000 kms. But the major problem was the ASC is expensive and now we give it to a local garage. Wishing you even more happy miles
Thanks a lot for the kind words Mordred. Happy to know that your cousin owns one. And yes, the ASC is becoming expensive (it is still very low compared to European brands IMHO). But our perception of a good car + very good features + "low maintenance" - is taking a hit because of the increasing cost of services.

Regards,
Vivek
Old 29th September 2014, 22:24   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Thank you Vivek ,
I too owned this car and thoroughly enjoyed every drive with it.The turbo which kicks is as addictive as smoking weed
The car was with me till it clocked 93k and I let it go.The only major changes that happened during close to 6 years ownership was the clutch & suspension including shock absorbers. Apart from that it was always regular periodic maintenance and was never heavy on the pocket.
Great to see you're beast is keeping well and crunching miles as usual.
Drive safe & keep us updated.

Cheers,
pdma.

Thanks pdma. For me too, the major changes till now are timing belt change @ 80K and clutch change @ 110 K. Apart from that, there were a couple of minor niggles on the power window (both front right and back left side power windows went kaput) and a couple of switches/sensors.
It is showing its age now, another 3 more months to complete 8 years - and I've started thinking of upgrading.

-Vivek
Old 16th October 2014, 19:12   #39
BHPian

Great to see somebody taking it past 1.3 lakh. I know KPZen has done more in his Getz. My car (2007 make) just crossed 1 lakh yesterday.

I too had some changes done like Clutch (60 K; turned out it was not needed as Master Cylinder was the the culprit done at 81K) and front suspension change (81 K) and power window motor failure on both left hand windows. The switch for one touch down for driver side power window has gone kaput. I am yet to replace it as Service Center insists that whole set of switches (4) needs to be replaced. Will try to source this part elsewhere.

P.S: I too had the dashboard becoming sticky issue. I got it resolved by rubbing with DOT3 Breaking fluid and then cleaning with proper detergent. It cost me less than 200 Rs. as I had got it done while doing an ac duct + evaporator cleaning which anyways required removal of dashboard.

Last edited by DWind : 16th October 2014 at 19:24.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 19:51   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
I too had some changes done like Clutch (60 K; turned out it was not needed as Master Cylinder was the the culprit done at 81K) .
Hope the slave cylinder was also changed with master cylinder.
Old 17th October 2014, 14:53   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Great to see somebody taking it past 1.3 lakh. I know KPZen has done more in his Getz. My car (2007 make) just crossed 1 lakh yesterday.
Thanks DWind and glad to know that your beast has crossed 1 lakh kilometers.

Quote:
I too had some changes done like Clutch (60 K; turned out it was not needed as Master Cylinder was the the culprit done at 81K) and front suspension change (81 K) and power window motor failure on both left hand windows. The switch for one touch down for driver side power window has gone kaput. I am yet to replace it as Service Center insists that whole set of switches (4) needs to be replaced. Will try to source this part elsewhere.
I dont understand why your service center insists to replace all 4 switches. In my case also, there were power window failures in front right as well as backside left doors. Only the faulty assembly was replaced.

Quote:
P.S: I too had the dashboard becoming sticky issue. I got it resolved by rubbing with DOT3 Breaking fluid and then cleaning with proper detergent. It cost me less than 200 Rs. as I had got it done while doing an ac duct + evaporator cleaning which anyways required removal of dashboard.
Ha ha... cool solution. I never knew about it. My dashboard was almost gone due to this issue. First I approached the service center guys, they said the only remedy is to replace the entire dashboard which will cost around 20K. I ran as fast as I could from the service center - approached a couple of accessory shops/workshops - and finally one guy gave it a try and corrected it. Now it is almost one year and no issues observed so far.
vivekkr_99 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 15:46   #42
BHPian

Quote:
I dont understand why your service center insists to replace all 4 switches. In my case also, there were power window failures in front right as well as backside left doors. Only the faulty assembly was replaced.
My current issue is just with the switch. It works but the spring back action does not while lowering the power windows and I need to manually pull it back when I am done lowering windows.
Also, the last time when I had a power window failure due to assembly (the springy cable holding the window) going bad MOBIS did not have only the assembly available and I had to buy the motor and assembly together. Now I have a properly working motor with me which I intend to use whenever the motor fails.
Old 20th October 2014, 19:01   #43
BHPian

Update @ 1.33 Lakhs kilometers

Two weeks back, while I was driving from Trivandrum to Ernakulam, suddenly felt something unusual. Whenever I was waiting at traffic signals or moving at snails pace in a very slow moving traffic, I felt that the A/C was not functioning efficiently. The cabin was getting slightly hotter. Usually, I keep the blower position to 2 only, since that is more than enough to maintain the cabin cool. So, whenever I stopped or had to slow down, I increased the blower speed to 3 - but still the cooling effect was not there. Everything was back to normal once I started moving and picked up speed.

I sensed that something was wrong, but still continued with the journey since there was nothing alarming. This was a very short trip - so I had planned to drive back to Trivandrum the very next day itself (Sunday). Since we started the return journey in the morning by around 6 am, I didnt use the A/C. Reached home by around 10 and immediately noticed that the bonnet was extremely hot. Now, this was quite unusual. The temperature gauge was in the normal position itself (at least it appeared to me). I opened the bonnet and immediately could feel that it was really hot inside - but there was no burning smell. So, left the car to cool down. In the evening, checked all the fluid levels and found that the coolant level was very low. Something was definitely fishy - since I had verified the fluid levels the week before. Checked the A/C performance at idle speeds - and there was no cooling effect. No cool air from the blowers. While in motion, it was super cool as usual. Topped up the coolant anyway and the next day morning observed that the level was same - so confirmed that there was no leakage.

Took the car to the nearby workshop (reliable). And it turned out to be a case of damaged radiator fan. That was the reason for the excessive heat generated as well, and the reason why the coolant level went low. The spare part was not readily available - so ordered it from one of the spare part shops. The item was delivered the very next day morning, and by noon the workshop guys had replaced the part. Checked the A/c performance at idling speeds and found that the cooling effect was back. The overall cost for the fan and repair work came to be 5800/-.

Now it is almost two weeks since the fan was replaced. Now, everything works fine. Checked the coolant level again yesterday, no drop in level. So, the problem seems to be solved.
vivekkr_99 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 10:07   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update @ 1.33 Lakhs kilometers

Two weeks back, while I was driving from Trivandrum to Ernakulam, suddenly felt something unusual. Whenever I was waiting at traffic signals or moving at snails pace in a very slow moving traffic, I felt that the A/C was not functioning efficiently. The cabin was getting slightly hotter. Usually, I keep the blower position to 2 only, since that is more than enough to maintain the cabin cool. So, whenever I stopped or had to slow down, I increased the blower speed to 3 - but still the cooling effect was not there. Everything was back to normal once I started moving and picked up speed.

I sensed that something was wrong, but still continued with the journey since there was nothing alarming. This was a very short trip - so I had planned to drive back to Trivandrum the very next day itself (Sunday). Since we started the return journey in the morning by around 6 am, I didnt use the A/C. Reached home by around 10 and immediately noticed that the bonnet was extremely hot. Now, this was quite unusual. The temperature gauge was in the normal position itself (at least it appeared to me). I opened the bonnet and immediately could feel that it was really hot inside - but there was no burning smell. So, left the car to cool down. In the evening, checked all the fluid levels and found that the coolant level was very low. Something was definitely fishy - since I had verified the fluid levels the week before. Checked the A/C performance at idle speeds - and there was no cooling effect. No cool air from the blowers. While in motion, it was super cool as usual. Topped up the coolant anyway and the next day morning observed that the level was same - so confirmed that there was no leakage.

Took the car to the nearby workshop (reliable). And it turned out to be a case of damaged radiator fan. That was the reason for the excessive heat generated as well, and the reason why the coolant level went low. The spare part was not readily available - so ordered it from one of the spare part shops. The item was delivered the very next day morning, and by noon the workshop guys had replaced the part. Checked the A/c performance at idling speeds and found that the cooling effect was back. The overall cost for the fan and repair work came to be 5800/-.

Now it is almost two weeks since the fan was replaced. Now, everything works fine. Checked the coolant level again yesterday, no drop in level. So, the problem seems to be solved.
Glad to know the problem is resolved.

Suggest you to change the water + coolant solution.

From what you have explained, I assume, car is running on coolant only.
All the water would have evaporated due to the excess heat generated while running with a non functional radiator fan.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 12:03   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Hope the slave cylinder was also changed with master cylinder.
Sorry for the delay. From what I recollect only the Master cylinder was changed and clutch fluid bled. In fact when I had this issue the gears refused to slot and I had to drive the car in second gear to the service center.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks