Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2006, 16:33   #16
BHPian

Great Write up Steeroid !
Old 16th January 2006, 16:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Elantra will handle better than the DICOR on tarmac, curves or no curves.
Agreed, and an Octavia will do so better. A better driver would've held position...this guy in the Elantra would just not let me past, swaying across the road and after a while I stayed at his tail waiting for him to make a mistake. Which is just a matter of time when you keep seeing those headlights loom over your trunk all the time. He made a mistake at a corner - I didnt.

As for the Skoda, he asked for it. I was casually cruising along at about 100, listening to music after a good dinner when I see these bright white (no,not Xenons but those fakes) come up behind me. He flashes and I give way. Stays behind my tail and keeps flashing as though he wants me completely off the road and then I get really mad.

So I let off some diesel fart (pity about that EGR Valve though - I simply cant get enough) and take off after a downshift. He stayed behind me and read www.tbhp.com for about 30 kms till we reached a section of the NH17 that winds through people's backyards and living rooms. There simply wasnt enough room for me to manouvre with oncoming trucks and stuff, so I let the guy past and got a thumbs up as he passed. He wasnt sniggering.

The car is good enough to keep with and ahead of of both those vehicles and then some. Scorpio wasnt competition - he tried to push me off the road and I pushed him back onto the other lane - directly onto oncoming traffic. Though the Santro did keep up quite gamely since we were on the good two-track stretches of the Bang-Mysore highway, one speedbreaker and he's gone! As we know, there are quite a few of them on the BM highway.

On a clear wide two-lane highway though my top speed wouldnt allow me to keep up after about 140. No contest there - given enough time even the Santro may go past my restricted 150 though the Scorpio wont.

This is all OFF TOPIC so lets get back to the main point.

@ 5u3zEr0 - grey bumpers were standard. As you see in the first part of my post, the bumper painting and other stuff including the Vx grille were 'free' because they couldnt give me the colour of my choice (Arizona Blue)

Last edited by Steeroid : 16th January 2006 at 16:43.
Old 16th January 2006, 16:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Snigger all you want, Rtech - they were too cautious. No it was good clean tarmac and we took the Elantra at a curve, and I mentally told the driver he's chicken to be taken where his car is stronger.
No they werent running Pete's boxes.
What speeds were you doing? Frankly speaking, I am surprised too. But then more often than not, "how you drive" is more important than "what you drive". Some time back, I had to admire a Scorpio trying to race with Petra at 150+.
Old 16th January 2006, 16:48   #19
Team-BHP Support

Ah, so this is why people buy SUV's...to push others into oncoming traffic and terrorise others by riding their tail with headlights blinding the other driver through his rear view mirror. I would move over as well if I came across that. It ain't worth it on our roads. But, lets not take this thread off topic.

I had done a route survey once in a Safari on small village roads. After 15 hours of non-stop driving, I was a believer in the legendary Safari ride quality. the irony is that the other car with us - an Esteem, suffered failed wipers and had to use the Safari we were in as a pilot car through the heavy rains. The Safari had its share of squeaks and rattles, but nothing went wrong with it.
Old 16th January 2006, 16:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
@ 5u3zEr0 - grey bumpers were standard. As you see in the first part of my post, the bumper painting and other stuff including the Vx grille were 'free' because they couldnt give me the colour of my choice (Arizona Blue)
Damn, thats exactly the colour I wanted too, I guess our tastes could be similar . Which colour Dicor did you buy then?

The sales guy at Concorde told me that I was the first person asking for that colour since the Dicor was launched. If we decide to buy it and they dont have the colour, I know what to ask!
Old 16th January 2006, 16:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5u3zEr0
Damn, thats exactly the colour I wanted too, I guess our tastes could be similar . Which colour Dicor did you buy then?

The sales guy at Concorde told me that I was the first person asking for that colour since the Dicor was launched. If we decide to buy it and they dont have the colour, I know what to ask!
Arizona Blue was unavailable because it was overbooked. Too many people wanted that color and Quartz Black, hence it would have taken them a month to deliver mine with their 15-cars-a-day production capability. I couldnt wait that long because I would be back in Dubai by the time they actually produced the car.

My car is on my gallery, so you can see the color there!

@Rtech - you got the wrong picture. Dont put the aggrieved into the defendent's dock - my headlamps are never on high beam and my way was being blocked deliberately. As for the Scorpio, I dont believe in turning the other cheek when someone tries to push me off the road.

As mentioned to you in the PM that I have just sent, what is most amazing about this vehicle is the number of people (usually every Scorpio driver around) who want to try and prove a point to you. I've driven many other cars but NONE of them have attracted so many invitations to punga. Perhaps they think its the old Safari and fancy themselves a laugh or two.

End of topic as far as the 'competition' is concerned.

Last edited by Steeroid : 16th January 2006 at 17:03.
Old 16th January 2006, 17:30   #22
Team-BHP Support

Boy! Steeroid bro seems like one angry man out to make a point with all those suckers out there...
Old 16th January 2006, 17:37   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I gotta admit - This is one honest review. Each and every problem has been outlined in detail. Well done. I do hope for you that the problems that would have surfaced have done so already, and except for some small niggling issues...you dont have to cope up with any more.

Nice to hear from an overall happy owner.

GTO

P.S. I am really curious about what you write in your emails to get such quick responses from companies / dealerships.
Old 16th January 2006, 18:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Nice review.

What about the black smoke? Does it still emit?
Old 16th January 2006, 18:46   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
Nice review.

What about the black smoke? Does it still emit?
As Steer said... ECU remap took care of that smoke problem.
Old 17th January 2006, 02:15   #26
BHPian

Nice write up steer. The pics in the gallery are good too. Hope you have finished with your quota of niggles....

Happy motoring and looking forward to the next write up at 20k :-)
Old 17th January 2006, 06:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

For a relatively new Indian manufacturer that car is a real surprise. wonder how bsmotoring called it a dud.
Old 17th January 2006, 15:01   #28
Senior - BHPian

Driving done in 4X4 mode

Dear Steeroid,

I'd like to know how many KMS out of these 10,000 you have done in 4X4 mode. Also, do you use the 4X4 mode only when you are stuck somewhere or you also use the same during hill driving or when it's raining. Do you think it's absolutely necessary to go in for the 4X4 model while buying the DICOR considering that all 4X4 variants cost about a lac more than their 4X2 siblings. Most Scorpios and Safaris that one sees on the road are the 4X2 variants.
Old 17th January 2006, 15:10   #29
Team-BHP Support

Unless you are into offroading, 4x4 is really not needed. In normal conditions 4x4 may help when the road is twisty or gravel and its raining etc., Even then unless you plan to do some serious rallyish driving like our Steer, you wont need 4x4. 4x2 will also mean better performance due to lesser weight.
We used to own a gypsy King and the only time I used 4x4 was when in slush or climbing steep muddy hills where all 4 wheels were needed.

On a related note if you are really planning for the safari DICOR, unless you are in a big hurry better wait for a year. Tata has launched the Xover concept. This is the X2 platform on which new safari will be based. It will be lighter, cheaper and will get a different engine(2.2L DICOR). This a Tata guy told me at the expo. Though new SuV on new platform in 2007 was old news, the 2.2L engine being developed is a new development. Despite my goading the dude did not let out any horsepower details, though the Auto magazines rumour mill has it at 125bhp.

Imagine 125BHP, 1500kgs, 4x2 base model with Power windows and basic luxury for 6.5 lakh. If you are desparate and cant wait, therefore think of the scorpio, even scorpio is coming with a new version in March timeframe. Overdrive has the spy pics.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 17th January 2006 at 15:14.
Old 17th January 2006, 15:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979

Imagine 125BHP, 1500kgs, 4x2 base model with Power windows and basic luxury for 6.5 lakh. If you are desparate and cant wait, therefore think of the scorpio, even scorpio is coming with a new version in March timeframe. Overdrive has the spy pics.
6.5 lacs, wow! Are you sure?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks