Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2014, 14:15   #241
BANNED

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log: Kerala trip concludes, 1 year & 19750 km done!

hey gannu, how is the wrap on the ovrm holding up ? last week i got my roof wrapped to gloss black @ IDE Delhi and also wanted to the get the ovrm wrapped black to match with the roof, but the IDE team suggested to instead get the ovrms painted gloss black.

he said because of the shape of the polo ovrm the wrap does not hold in place and tends to peel off. what say ?
Old 20th July 2014, 08:27   #242

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log: Kerala trip concludes, 1 year & 19750 km done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Many congratulations on your new acquisition. Now that the monsoons have started, take her out for a spin.
I'm itching to, but being in one of the most hectic PG colleges is hardly leaving me any time for other things! So far the car has mostly spent 7 hours a day, 6 days a week sitting in the college parking lot, and then driving in Bangalore's notorious traffic. Next month though I will be getting a decent stretch of holidays when I can finally get out of the city for a bit and really get the feel of this car

Quote:
I have been told there are issues with the bluetooth pairing with the stock HU. IIRC I did not face any issues pairing my Lumia 920 to the unit but then again I preferred an SD card/pen drive as the source so I rarely used my phone as the source.
Its not really an issue with pairing as such. It pairs and connects fine and even starts playing the music. Track controls and everything work fine, my phone also says it is playing, and the HU shows the track information and all that but there is just no sound. This happens very randomly. Only way to get it to work is to turn off the ignition, restart it and hope that it works this time around. Just powering off the unit with the power button and restarting it never works. There seems to be no pattern to when it works and when it doesn't.

After some consideration I've decided to just buy an SD card myself and use that instead of changing the HU, for now at least. I usually don't like changing too much of the stock car

Quote:
You can install the tweeters on the door sail panels and most tweeters come with a wide variety of plastic enclosures for customizing the mount; flush mount/surface mount etc. Our audio gurus on the forum will gladly help you out on this. On the Polo sold abroad, the tweeters are neatly integrated inside the A-pillar at the bottom just like the Jetta:
I want to try and get the fitted inside the sail panels if possible. I'm slightly obsessive about these things that I don't want the tweeter sticking out anywhere. I'd like it to be out of sight if possible. I do wish VW had provided proper room for the tweeters at least, if not fit them as standard themselves. I've seen pictures of tweeters here on this forum that have been placed in the sail panel, with the panel cut out to accommodate them. That's what I have in mind right now but I'm going to investigate some more when I get the time before committing to it.

Quote:
Tell me about it! Our good ol’ Swift Dzire back home has both. Heck, my colleague’s Maruti 800 has both.
Our old 2004 Škoda Octavia has them both as well, and I'm so used to it that this annoys me at times. My Polo also has the peculiar habit of sometimes keeping the radiator fan on for a bit after I park and turn it off, which shouldn't be too alarming considering the traffic and the speeds (or lack of it) that we move at here, but which makes me feel in my head that it is running too hot.

Quote:
You can program the new/used cluster with the current odo reading. That isn’t a concern. Lack of the glow plug warning symbol on the GTI cluster is one!
That's good. Although I mentioned I like keeping things as they come, the instrument cluster is one that I really do want to change at some point. But lack of glow plug symbol would also bother me as much. I suppose I should just hope in vain that VW will put out a Polo GTD before they do away with the Mark 5 Polo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanasu View Post
Firstly, welcome to the "exclusive" club of the 1st gen GT TDIs. Secondly, waiting for a to be launched new model is not a pleasant experience. It's good that you went ahead and bought it. Lastly, request you to start a Ownership thread. I couldn't start one when I bought it and now its too late

I've got the tweeters installed in mine near the door handles at the Front. If you want to audition the speakers/amplifiers/HU, we can meet over a weekend.
Thanks!

I would've liked to start an ownership thread, but as I already mentioned I do not get much time to spare these days and I would hate to start a thread that wouldn't live up to certain standards. Especially in the wake of Gannu's thread

I will be getting some free time next month when I will be looking into getting the tweeters done and definitely changing the horn (I don't like the GT horns they fit here, prefer standard Polo horn). I will contact you then to see if we can work out a meeting for that audition

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th July 2014 at 11:25. Reason: Only 2 smileys per post please
Hermód is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 22:46   #243
Team-BHP Support

The GTI cluster arrived later today evening. Installed it right away. Here are some snaps:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140721_19_00_33_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-pull-trim.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-connector-new-cluster.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-mfd-data.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-mfd-settings.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-range.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-speed.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-door-ajar.jpg

The mandatory cluster staging clip:

Need to enable the HU info and Bluetooth settings via VCDS. Will be done later. The detailed DIY thread shall be up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
let me know when you figure out a way.
Will do. I will be taking this up shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
Mine is probably the last GT (Gen 1) to be sold in India (as told by the SA). Looking forward to starting my ownership thread!
Nice! Many congrats. I am glad the thread helped you in a way or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefiu View Post
I'm curious where you sourced the GTI Cluster from, if its from the Czech Republic directly, I'll be very interested.
I sourced it from Vagtune, Cochin. The cluster is Made in the Czech Republic. I could have sourced and installed it myself but for the immobilizer programming. Only a VW service center or a qualified aftermarket garage can do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefiu View Post
Great work and inspiring to see you do most of the mods yourself
Thanks! I will be taking up the steering swap shortly. Even that’s easy. The pain is to take the airbag out by releasing the two tabs that hold it. No VCDS coding required. Plug and play.

Quote:
hey gannu, how is the wrap on the ovrm holding up ?
Quite okay I’d say. More than the carbon fiber looks, I wanted it to protect the original paint beneath the wrap. A simply poly wrap is not sufficient to withstand the scratches.

Quote:
he said because of the shape of the polo ovrm the wrap does not hold in place and tends to peel off. what say ?
Correct regarding the shape but the wrap hasn’t peeled off so far.
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 00:28   #244
Senior - BHPian

Why did you get the petrol cluster?
Old 22nd July 2014, 05:32   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Gannu since you have got the petrol cluster for a diesel car. The RPM readings will be incorrect, even a face swap wont help. Ask Sugesh if he can find a solution. Don't try to code with VCDS and sort it out as then your mileage calculation will be incorrect.
Old 22nd July 2014, 08:38   #246
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Why did you get the petrol cluster?
Vagtune did not have the diesel cluster. In fact no one seems to stock the cluster for TDI engine. Tried searching a lot of websites online - carsystems.pl, eBay Germany and other websites. No go. I badly wanted this cluster:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-17_max.jpg

And shot a mail to Car Systems’ customer support; they replied saying they do not stock this cluster any more. Gave it a lot of thought and finally settled for the TSI cluster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Gannu since you have got the petrol cluster for a diesel car. The RPM readings will be incorrect, even a face swap wont help.
Absolutely no issues w.r.t. the RPM readings reported by the tacho on the TSI cluster. Cross checked it with a couple of OBD II applications. The engine idles at 800 RPM and it shows the correct reading. At 100 kmph on the 5th gear, the tacho should read 2200 RPM - it did. The calibration is perfect.

Here are the different warning symbols displayed on the 2 clusters:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-warning-symbols_p.png

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-warning-symbols_d.png

The only warning symbol missed out in this cluster is the glow plug light. DPF isn’t applicable for Polo.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:15   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The GTI cluster arrived later today evening. Installed it right away.
Gannu bhai your mods keep getting better with every post bro.

But the downside is that it is slowly but surely compelling me to break my determination of keeping my GT stock until its first service at least !!

I just loved the Speedo Sweep at the startup. However, as others have pointed out Gannu, I have some quick questions:

1. Wouldn't this console confuse you at times regarding the Engine RPM ?

2. When you swapped the new console onto your GT, was the ODO reset ? If Yes, wouldn't this be an issue later ?

3. If the console is from GTI, wouldn't the units/dials be caliberated to a GTI OEM tire ratios ?

Sorry if I have sounded very naive but I am a fan of this 'Speedo Sweep' and would want this as the first mod on my GT.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 22nd July 2014 at 10:16.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:56   #248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
1. Wouldn't this console confuse you at times regarding the Engine RPM ?

2. When you swapped the new console onto your GT, was the ODO reset ? If Yes, wouldn't this be an issue later ?

3. If the console is from GTI, wouldn't the units/dials be caliberated to a GTI OEM tire ratios ?

Sorry if I have sounded very naive but I am a fan of this 'Speedo Sweep' and would want this as the first mod on my GT.
1. Why would it confuse me? It is reporting the correct RPM.

2. No. The odometer was programmed as per the stock odo reading by Vagtune. I had to send them the stock cluster and a key to get the new cluster coded. Wait for the DIY thread. Everything has been explained in detail.

3. The units are in km/h and not the imperial units followed in the UK, US and few other regions. For tires, there is an option for speed setting as per winter tires. Other than that, there are no issues.

I think I’ll have to capture a short video indicating the speed, RPM and gears. I do not have the readings from the stock cluster unfortunately. Vikram, could you capture a short clip of the cluster when the car is accelerating from 0 to 100 km/h? Ask your co-driver to capture it for you and upload it on YouTube. I’ll do the same with the new cluster. This will hopefully lay all the tacho related confusions to rest.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 11:12   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log : Euro-spec tail lights and GTI grill added

Gannu try to find someone with a VCDS cable, it would be possible to tally the real time rpm readings. A video is not really an accurate method as minimal differences would be hard to appreciate. Once Sugesh had fitted a diesel cluster which redlined at 4.5K in my laura and it was off by 200-300 rpm in the lower rpm ranges but the bigger issue in my case was that my car redlines beyond 6K and the cluster was marked only till 6K. Luckily petrol clusters for the laura is easily available and I got it replaced.

Last edited by robimahanta : 22nd July 2014 at 11:13.
robimahanta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 13:11   #250
Team-BHP Support

This cluster has an ambient light sensor inside and turns on the gauge lights depending on the ambient light. Discovered it yesterday when I was driving it out of the parking lot. Inside the parking lot when the car was started, the gauge was dark. When I drove it out of the parking lot, the gauges lit up gradually like the cabin light inside the car.

Here is a video (not mine!) that demonstrates it:

Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 20:32   #251
Team-BHP Support

Here's a short clip I had captured some time back demonstrating the ambient light sensor inside the gauges:

The sensor is located somewhere between the CEL warning symbol and number 8 on the tacho.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 12:32   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The GTI cluster arrived later today evening. Installed it right away.
Gannu, the cluster looks fabulous and this is how a performance car's cluster ought to be in the first place!! Looks classy with those dials and since the driver will be seated in front of the dials most of the time, the joy of having a good cluster in front of you is understood by an enthusiast alone!!. Love the way your car is turning out to be. Your car and the mods its undergoing are tempting me to break my rule of 5 year car changes and get one ASAP!!
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 13:39   #253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Love the way your car is turning out to be. Your car and the mods its undergoing are tempting me to break my rule of 5 year car changes and get one ASAP!!
Thanks Abhinav. I am just praying and hoping I don’t have to bear the wrath of the VW service center during the course of the ownership. If I can maintain a record like Bhat Sir’s Laura, I will be a happy man. *fingers crossed*

I shall be removing the blue protective wrap on the cluster this weekend. Shall post some decent snaps clicked in daylight. These do not do justice to it. Meanwhile, the DIY thread on the cluster swap is in the Assy. Line.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 14:09   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely no issues w.r.t. the RPM readings reported by the tacho on the TSI cluster. Cross checked it with a couple of OBD II applications. The engine idles at 800 RPM and it shows the correct reading. At 100 kmph on the 5th gear, the tacho should read 2200 RPM - it did. The calibration is perfect.
You should not have any issues simply because these RPM meters use TTL Logic and get the RPM signal from the ECU lead rather than the old school method of ignition coil. Simply, these are more electronic than electrical in nature.

You should be worried only in case you install a TDI meter in the GTI where the Red Line will force you to drive the Petrol car like a diesel

By the way, I will ensure when you drive to Bangalore by hinting the RTO to seize your car and verify if its not imported and the variant description is not matching with the features/badge!

Last but not the least, Keep doing those awesome DIYs. They all look stock, they all look neat!

Last edited by paragsachania : 25th July 2014 at 14:10.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 14:11   #255
BANNED

gannu, bro you have to get the flat bottom mfsw. that is a must to enjoy the GT.

tell me you are getting it done... ;-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks