Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2014, 08:01   #271
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
^^I assume it goes by its regular diesel behaviour.

but the redline at 8K looks a bit odd on a TDI.
Thanks for the reply Sir.

Quote:
By the way, the thread title say 'GTI Highline cluster'. It should be just 'GTI cluster' right?
May be the Trendline / Comfortline instrumentation console's have some features missing / omitted, hence Gannu thought to have it clearly mentioned so who all would be referring won't get confused, if they order the same.

Anurag.
Old 9th August 2014, 08:29   #272
Team-BHP Support

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log: Kerala trip concludes, 1 year & 19750 km done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
May be the Trendline / Comfortline instrumentation console's have some features missing / omitted, hence Gannu thought to have it clearly mentioned so who all would be referring won't get confused, if they order the same.
No, what I mean is, there is no comfortline/highline differentiation for the Polo GTI abroad.
Old 9th August 2014, 08:56   #273
Team-BHP Support

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log: Kerala trip concludes, 1 year & 19750 km done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Since the cluster is of petrol version, does the needle climb till 8K out sites it end at 6K?
I don't think I'd ever want to try that. To be very honest, I upshift when the tacho needle touches 3k rpm. Have touched 4k on a couple of occasions on the fifth gear but that’s about it.

Quote:
the redline at 8K looks a bit odd on a TDI
Yeah I agree. That and the Depress clutch to start that appears momentarily below the startup screen when the MFD displays Volkswagen Information System. Both are irrelevant to this car. I am wondering what the service advisor would have to say when he sees my car.

Quote:
By the way, the thread title say 'GTI Highline cluster'. It should be just 'GTI cluster' right?
Correct. GTI cluster would do.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 09:18   #274
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I don't think I'd ever want to try that. To be very honest, I upshift when the tacho needle touches 3k rpm. Have touched 4k on a couple of occasions on the fifth gear but that's about it.
I agree buddy. Even I haven't gathered the guts to max out my Swift, though it did touch 4280 RPM as per the OBD data.

And BTW, with the GT engine underneath why would anyone need to redline it when all the work needed happens much earlier making the redline a waste of energy!

Quote:
I am wondering what the service advisor would have to say when he sees my car.
Do tell him repeatedly it is a GT TDI and not a TSI.

Seeing the instrumentation cluster he'll not believe his eyes. May be open the fuel lid to check the sticker or start the engine to hear the clatter.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 09:33   #275
BHPian

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log : GTI Highline cluster installed

I'm sure the service technicians would be as confused as they could be, if no one pointed it out to them that the cluster is a retrofit.

Giving car to our service centre(s) with any major retrofit is a nightmare. You have to tell them, repeatedly, to every guy in there if possible not to mess with the coding. They can do scan and reset and all but not a guided function. After telling all this, pray and hope you won't have to recode the whole damn thing.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 9th August 2014 at 09:40.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 11:04   #276
BANNED

hey gannu,

how's it going there ? any ideas in regards to the replacement for the GTI badge in the front ? i was thinking how about you install a TDI badge in place of the GTI. something like this...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-s...772266715.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Frees...013323489.html

i think i'n going to remove the GTI from the front of the grill and install a TSI.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Vw-po...791039167.html

cheers...
Old 11th August 2014, 13:44   #277
Team-BHP Support

Sourced a VCDS HEX + CAN cable from Aliexpress 2 weeks back (link) and it works flawlessly. Absolutely no errors or hiccups. Installed VCDS 12.12 on my laptop (Win 7 Professional x64), plugged the cable to the OBD port and it worked flawlessly. Instead of getting the cable shipped to India via China Post (which would have taken at least a month for delivery), I chose to get it shipped to a friend in Singapore via DHL (landed in 3 days from Hong Kong) and he shipped the cable to Surat through Singapore Post (cost him 7 SGD; landed in 7 days). Total expense incurred was Rs. 2542.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140810_21_45_09_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140810_22_55_49_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140810_22_56_01_pro.jpg

Did the following tweaks:

1. Changing lane-change indicators from 3 flashes to 5 flashes.

2. Activating Push-to-Talk feature on the MSFW.

3. Enabling Tear Wiping.

Steps on how to enable these (plus the horn beep while locking/unlocking the car) has been detailed in the VCDS thread.

Will be enabling the HU’s CANBUS display on the MFD later today evening. Shall post the results here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
any ideas in regards to the replacement for the GTI badge in the front ?
Nope. I think I like the grill without the badge.
Gannu_1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 14:13   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sourced a VCDS HEX + CAN cable from Aliexpress 2 weeks back (link) and it works flawlessly.

Did the following tweaks:

1. Changing lane-change indicators from 3 flashes to 5 flashes.

3. Enabling Tear Wiping.
Awesome Gannu, so now you are all set to play with your GT !!

I am not sure if you were aware of the small VCDS meet that was planned by us Bangaloreans last week for these tweaks. It was all carried out by Dr. Robbie (robimahanta) who was very courteous to complete them on nearly 10 VW cars.

Just in case it has slipped your mind, try these:

- Needle Sweep on Ignition
- Increase the reverse sensor volume
- Flashing of Hazard lights upon hard breaking

Last edited by Vik0728 : 11th August 2014 at 14:15.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 14:19   #279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I am not sure if you were aware of the small VCDS meet that was planned by us Bangaloreans last week for these tweaks.
You can't be serious Vikram! Did you miss my post on that thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Just in case it has slipped your mind, try these:

- Needle Sweep on Ignition
- Increase the reverse sensor volume
- Flashing of Hazard lights upon hard breaking
Needle sweep/cluster staging is already activated on my cluster. I had posted a short Youtube video indicating the sweep.

I am yet to fiddle with the other settings. Was already getting late yesterday night.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 15:17   #280
DWC
BHPian

This is great news Gannu! Looking forward to many tweaks and detailed insights into the different functions of the VCDS from your side.
DWC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 16:50   #281
BANNED

Quote:
Total expense incurred was Rs. 2542.

Shall post the results here.
Nice buy Gannu. Shall be waiting for the results.

I am to looking for the same type of software for my Swift but none seem to exist for such modifications.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 19:36   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Did this option work properly for you? I got it activated too but when I push the button on the steering wheel my phone opens up the voice dialler but however loud I speak, my phone does not register my voice. Im using a galaxy nexus running on stock Android 4.3.
Old 11th August 2014, 21:56   #283
Team-BHP Support

Enabled the HU's CANBUS display on the cluster's MFD. With the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835, the display options are limited. We do not get the phone book list, range or battery of the smartphone is missing but we do get some basic display which is decent FWIW. Here are the different displays just in case:

When the phone is connected via Bluetooth:
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8921.jpg

During an incoming call:
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8922.jpg

When the call is being answered:
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8923.jpg

When the call is disconnected:
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8924.jpg

When the radio is ON:
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8925.jpg

Raising the volume:
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8926.jpg

USB playback:
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8927.jpg

SD card (none inserted into the slot):
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8928.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
but however loud I speak, my phone does not register my voice. Im using a galaxy nexus running on stock Android 4.3.
I am assuming you have the RCD 320. Did you try using a different smartphone? The mic on the RCD 320 is on the top-left corner, did you try speaking close to the mic so it registers the voice properly? I recall when I had the RCD 320, voice pickup was very poor due to the location of the mic. Sometimes I used to end up raising my voice while answering calls!
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 17:05   #284
BHPian

Quote:
I am assuming you have the RCD 320. Did you try using a different smartphone? The mic on the RCD 320 is on the top-left corner, did you try speaking close to the mic so it registers the voice properly? I recall when I had the RCD 320, voice pickup was very poor due to the location of the mic. Sometimes I used to end up raising my voice while answering calls!
Yup, I have the RCD 320. I did try speaking right into the mic but no luck. Will try using a different phone and check if it works. Thanks.

Edit: Thanks for the link to the cable. I ordered one for myself too. Are you using the same version of VCDS that came with the cable or did you get the latest from the website?

Last edited by Hells_Fury : 12th August 2014 at 17:08.
Hells_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 19:36   #285
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
Thanks for the link to the cable. I ordered one for myself too. Are you using the same version of VCDS that came with the cable or did you get the latest from the website?
No worries man.

I am using the one that came with the disc.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks