Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2023, 14:32   #1216
BHPian

Re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

A lot of them have asked for a detailed update and I am not lying when I say I had started penning down the update a few months back but every time I revisit the draft to complete it, I just can't type.

I've a lot to say - the last road trip we undertook from Chennai - Palakkad - Mysore - Udupi - Murdeshwar - Kasargod - Calicut - Palakkad - <car broke down>, the amazing food we had during the trip, the breakdown saga, the arduous 8 hour trip in the flatbed truck from the outskirts of Salem to Chennai, the repair job and finally bidding goodbye to her.

Will give this thread a proper closure soon enough. The car deserves at least that much.
What a thread you had going here! What a car! I felt a lump in my heart after reading this news.

I had the Polo TDI, was close to my heart. I have felt many times that I should not have sold it. Even more so now that it is discontinued

I wanted to buy a small car recently, my benchmark was the Polo. Couldn't find anything in market quite like it, in size & performance. Settled for i20 DCT. Yeah, throw tomatoes at me, traitor and all that... I know.. I am guilty.

Anyway, my condolences to what is/was a great ownership thread! I enjoyed reading it for last 7 years. Thank you @Gannu_1!
shrinath_m2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 01:22   #1217
BHPian

Quote:
A lot of them have asked for a detailed update and I am not lying when I say I had started penning down the update a few months back but every time I revisit the draft to complete it, I just can't type.

Having followed the thread for a long while, even before becoming a member, I can't help but feel sad that such a beautiful experience has come to an end. This thread had been my go-to answer to all those who used to to come at me with their standard "German cars are not to be kept for more than the warranty period or 1L kms" argument .

I wish that the new owner has much fun with the car as you did ,@Gannu_1 sir and wishing you many more happy miles in the future with your Honda Jazz.

Last edited by ampere : 12th January 2024 at 13:57. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Dr.Procastinate is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2023, 08:53   #1218
BHPian

Quote:

I've a lot to say - the last road trip we undertook from Chennai - Palakkad - Mysore - Udupi - Murdeshwar - Kasargod - Calicut - Palakkad - <car broke down>, the amazing food we had during the trip, the breakdown saga, the arduous 8 hour trip in the flatbed truck from the outskirts of Salem to Chennai, the repair job and finally bidding goodbye to her.
Could you update on this please. Would be helpful for high mileage VW 1.6 tdi owners.
crdi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 13:52   #1219
BHPian

Guys, does it make sense picking up a Polo GT TDI with 1.2 lakh on the odo? Asking price is 3.8 L. Just the huge number of kms done is a bit of a downer for me.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 14:07   #1220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Guys, does it make sense picking up a Polo GT TDI with 1.2 lakh on the odo? Asking price is 3.8 L. Just the huge number of kms done is a bit of a downer for me.
Depends on your objective.

A project car? Oh yea, as long as you are willing to work on getting the car in good shape and replace all the random parts that fail. Remember to have sufficient ₹ as and when things fail. The car is absolutely fun when it works as intended.

A personal daily? Hell no, stay far away. There's too much downtime if it's the only car at home.
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 14:13   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Depends on your objective.

A project car? Oh yea, as long as you are willing to work on getting the car in good shape and replace all the random parts that fail. Remember to have sufficient ₹ as and when things fail. The car is absolutely fun when it works as intended.

A personal daily? Hell no, stay far away. There's too much downtime if it's the only car at home.
I need it as a 3rd car, my main ride being an i20 Nline DCT and sometimes I drive a Thar Crde. My missus would be driving this car regularly, less than 10 km, and I will drive it on weekends - that is the plan.
Old 12th January 2024, 14:19   #1222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need it as a 3rd car, my main ride being an i20 Nline DCT and sometimes I drive a Thar Crde. My missus would be driving this car regularly, less than 10 km, and I will drive it on weekends - that is the plan.
I wouldn't let my missus have it. It won't be fuss free and you'll always have a thought of when it'll break down.

Ours broke down once, when the water pump seized, and nearly one more time again when there was a coolant leak at the oil cooler. Had to fill in water every 80 kms. All this was after 1.2 lakh kms
Turbohead is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 14:41   #1223
BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't let my missus have it. It won't be fuss free and you'll always have a thought of when it'll break down.

Ours broke down once, when the water pump seized, and nearly one more time again when there was a coolant leak at the oil cooler. Had to fill in water every 80 kms. All this was after 1.2 lakh kms
Thanks for the insight. I recall similar thing happened to one of my Wagon R's where I was continually topping up with water. I will keep off of this temptation.
Old 12th January 2024, 14:56   #1224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What year?

Whilst not denying what others say, I'm always keen to encourage people to buy a GT TDI

Mine might be older (2014) but has done a much lower mileage. Still, stuff breaks, yes, and we must budget for that. Service record is essential; pro inspection is essential.

Even for city driving, it's fun. Give your wife some TDI fun!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 15:08   #1225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What year?

Whilst not denying what others say, I'm always keen to encourage people to buy a GT TDI

Mine might be older (2014) but has done a much lower mileage. Still, stuff breaks, yes, and we must budget for that. Service record is essential; pro inspection is essential.

Even for city driving, it's fun. Give your wife some TDI fun!
This is 2015. Right now she drives a K10 AMT, but sometimes she will also take the Thar cRDE for a spin. Now, our K10 is used everyday for the 8-10km errands, but on Sundays I need to visit one of my practice chambers, which is located in a particularly congested area with lots of narrow lanes. But both when I am going and returning in the evening, I always curse the K10 AMT once it is on the main road - it is just so slow to shift. I just wish I had more power. I don't want to buy a new car. I have always loved the Polo, but I want either a Tsi or TDi GT with 100 horses.

Last edited by johy : 12th January 2024 at 15:26.
Old 12th January 2024, 16:15   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
For 10kms daily travel it’s definitely not advisable.

But otherwise it’s a fantastic car. Mine is 2013 Vento done 1.8lac kms and I’ve only changed the front suspension and one injector. Everything else on the car including the clutch timing belt water pump etc is original.

What I mean is that a lot depends on how the car was maintained, driving style (very imp) and looked after. If it wasn’t maintained properly you can be looking at huge costs.

However for your usage of 10km daily I would strongly suggest not go for a diesel it just won’t make any sense either in terms of fuel mileage or the running costs and god forbid if it wasn’t maintained properly your asking for costly troubles.
Adrian Stephens is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 22:46   #1227
BHPian

Quote:
Depends on how good the car is. Be ready for huge repair bills, if ten thousand is a big amount for you. Things to watch out for: see that the odo is not clocked, by looking at the history of the car if available and brake/clutch pedal wear, get it checked by a good mechanic and make sure the following things are taken care of: timing belt (physical inspection) head gasket(is the oil/coolant clean?), alternator(are any warning lights on?) brake discs, a/c, injectors(again look for a healthy noise and warning lights) Usually well-maintained Polos have fewer body-related and paint-related issues. And the all important question: has the car got a clean road history?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th January 2024 at 09:02. Reason: broken quote tag fixed
TopLiveCentre is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 08:49   #1228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Stephens View Post

But otherwise it’s a fantastic car. Mine is 2013 Vento done 1.8lac kms and I’ve only changed the front suspension and one injector. Everything else on the car including the clutch timing belt water pump etc is original.
1.8 lakh kms and on original timing belt and water pump? You are sitting on a ticking time bomb! The manufacturer recommended schedule to change it is 90k kms. The water pump is the weak link- it's a topic in itself! Plenty of YouTube videos on that.

BTW, where do you service the car now?
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 15:39   #1229
BHPian

Quote:
1.2 Lakh KM is little on higher side. But the car is built to last. If everything else is good, go ahead with this car.

My GT TDI is one of the first bought within a week of releasing in 2013. I use it for mostly city drive with occasional intercity drive. It's been 10 years 75K kms. I faced one or two issues in these 10 years, but nothing out of ordinary.

It still feels like a new car. I will be using it for another 5 years.

On the downside, every time car goes to workshop, expect huge bill. VW maintenance is not cheap.
radek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 10:28   #1230
BHPian

Quote:
1.8 lakh kms and on original timing belt and water pump? You are sitting on a ticking time bomb! The manufacturer recommended schedule to change it is 90k kms. The water pump is the weak link- it's a topic in itself! Plenty of YouTube videos on that.

BTW, where do you service the car now?
Hi Turbo,

“Time bomb” is exactly what it is 😝
But over the last 3 years since I moved residence into the city center my mileage has very drastically reduced to hardly 150 kms on avg every 2 weeks…and that’s why I’ve been laid back, in fact too laid back to confidently take the car out of the city. Planning a full makeover for the car incl replacement of the clutch, belt and pump. EGR, injectors , engine flush and radiator cleanup, plus a couple of Ac vents, front windshield, and the interior boot switch need to be replaced and then paint jobs for the front bumper and left rear door…

Call it a 10year anniversary overhaul 😝. But a well deserved one for this beauty. She’s taken me without even a whimper even during the 2015 floods to rescue a marooned friend to doing express 12hr runs from chennai to Goa at moments notice. She deserves a good one now.

The general service ie: engine oil and filters I started doing it myself since Covid when I had a lot of spare time. Thanks to our friend @Gannu_1 and his brilliantly explained videos.

For the rest I have an FNG, he’s ex Audi service and does a good job … so far 🤞🏻

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks