Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2015, 01:17   #31
BHPian

re: The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Summary of the issue: Even though I was filling the coolant, it seems to be disappearing fast. As per the senior mechanic one good filling of coolant would at least enable the vehicle to run next 5000km without an issue. And that is when the whole issue came out. It seems there are different types of coolants available. One is a thick paste, and this cannot be used directly. For every unit of paste, four units of water needs to get mixed and then added to the tank. Then there are other coolants, which already comes mixed up with water.
Usually coolants last over 30 to 40 k kms. It should not runout in 5k kms at all. Now, if you are using the diluted variant, as long as you did not dilute it further, it should still work fine. The basic concept of a coolant is to have similar properties as water (good heat absorption, very low viscosity etc) while at the same time not freezing in sub-zero temperatures (that's why coolant is also called anti-freeze or more appropriately "anti-freeze coolant".

Now, coming to your problem, if it is going away, there has to be a leak. I strongly think that there is still a leak, and so I would suggest you to carefully watch the coolant level over a few weeks and a month. You can make a small mark on the white tub that holds the coolant, and monitor after a few weeks. Just remember to be careful when opening the cap, and never open the cap when the engine is hot.
deep_bang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 05:31   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Summary of the issue: Even though I was filling the coolant, it seems to be disappearing fast. As per the senior mechanic one good filling of coolant would at least enable the vehicle to run next 5000km without an issue.
Check for engine oil consistency and colour. Hope the coolant isn't getting mixed into the engine oil.

Does the coolant reservoir look good? Any leaks to the reservoir or the plumbing?

Coolant change happens around every 30K kms but in your case it disappears in thin air. Do you find any smoke or some such thing while driving?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 12:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang
Usually coolants last over 30 to 40 k kms.
My vehicle is now in 35k K.M range. The trouble with coolant only came in at around 34K range. So I guess, the coolant has lasted for the expected time frame. I strongly feel the mistake I made was to dilute an already diluted coolant, so much so that it became more of water.

Quote:
Now, coming to your problem, if it is going away, there has to be a leak. I strongly think that there is still a leak, and so I would suggest you to carefully watch the coolant level over a few weeks and a month. You can make a small mark on the white tub that holds the coolant, and monitor after a few weeks.
This is what I did after my last incident. I have made a note of when the coolant was last topped up (31st Jan, 2015). The service team committed on another 5K of smooth running even before I think of refill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag
Check for engine oil consistency and colour. Hope the coolant isn't getting mixed into the engine oil.
Does the coolant reservoir look good? Any leaks to the reservoir or the plumbing?
I am not a real mechanical expert. But the engine oil looked a bit more black, and was not exceeding (going below or above) the marked level in the dip stick. The coolant reservoir is not having any cracks, in the area which I can visually check. After having a long run with the A/C switched on, I do see water droplets in the area below the engine. But this issue, I feel is the condensation setting in after the engine and A/C goes back to the normal temperature. I had seen this happening in my Wagon R too. But I do NOT see any coloured liquid or oil on my garage floor these days.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 04:51   #34
BHPian

The car has completed 94k kms till date. It completed it's 90k km service just 1 week back, and the bill was 5.1k rupees. I will post the break up as soon as I receive the bill in my hands. During this service, the bearings in the gearbox were also replaced (as told to me by the service advisor. I haven't questioned him further about this matter since I wasn't certain if I would receive a convincing answer, and I didn't want to waste time on it).

Sadly, yesterday, the intercooler failed once again requiring an unscheduled visit to the A.S.S.. They haven't been able to solve the problem yet, so the car is still at the service centre.

The speedometer is also failing intermittently, for which they will be doing the necessary work under warranty.

Well, I think it's wise for me to retain this car only till the warranty holds.. I think I have tried everything possible from a customer's side to get a permanent solution to these issues I am repeatedly facing, and Mahindra on their part have never denied warranty to me inspite of me servicing the car a little later than their stipulated schedules...BUT now that I am unable to keep a constant track of this vehicle, I will be selling it soon.

Thanks,

Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 15:07   #35
BHPian

Hey,
So sad to see that you need to get rid of this vehicle. We both had identical running. But I guess it needs to be done.

What's resale price for the Quanto? I mean will you be loosing a lot ?
Also what will be replacing it ?
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 17:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Well, I think it's wise for me to retain this car only till the warranty holds.. I think I have tried everything possible from a customer's side to get a permanent solution to these issues I am repeatedly facing, and Mahindra on their part have never denied warranty to me inspite of me servicing the car a little later than their stipulated schedules...BUT now that I am unable to keep a constant track of this vehicle, I will be selling it soon.
After the multiple visit to the service centre in January 2015, I had written a nasty e-mail to the Customer Care division of Mahindra. Their representative called up. He was also very honest in admitting that this vehicle has some problems, and would try to do their best to help me. The chap at the service centre too did admit that the initial lot of these vehicles had some problems, but now it is all resolved.

When I had made my last visit, I could see another angry Quanto owner who had a botched Goa trip. The chap finds the entire gear box assembly all shattered to pieces when he is at Mangalore.

Last edited by sachinpk : 17th April 2015 at 17:55.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 14:47   #37
BHPian

Well, it's been a rollercoaster ride since the last update. The following is the step by step update:

1. Car broke down twice (one per week). First time, it was due to loose fitting of one of the intercooler pipes. Second time, the oil "bracket" ( I don't know what that is, since I am physically not present when all these things have happened ) broke, and engine oil spilled out in the engine compartment. The oil level low light came on, and the car was towed back to the A.S.S.

2. I had lost patience with Mahindra by now, and had accelerated my search for a new car.

3. Just last week though, the check engine light came on and the car lost power. It was near to the A.S.S. and I instructed my driver to drive and drop the car there. I meanwhile got hold of the numbers of the service head and regional service incharge, and explained my situation to them telling them explicitly that I will not take this lightly anymore. I requested them to involve their factory engineers and resolve this issue once and for all.

4. They relented, and finally the car's repair was directed by the factory. The regional manager committed 2-3 days to resolve all matters, but it took them a little over a week.

5. I don't know the exact details as to what they did, but I do know that the turbo was replaced. The car is back with us, and is running fine as of now.

The car's ODO issues have also been taken care of, and I do hope that this will be the end of my troubles with this car. We are in the final stages of finding a replacement for this car, which I will be sharing with you all soon.

The ODO of the car stands at a little less than 98k kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Hey,
So sad to see that you need to get rid of this vehicle. We both had identical running. But I guess it needs to be done.

What's resale price for the Quanto? I mean will you be loosing a lot ?
Also what will be replacing it ?
Hmm... at the moment I am getting quotes around 2L. The depreciation is on the higher side, but not bad either (according to me). Replacement car will be finalized soon. There is a lot of confusion at the moment. To be honest, quanto suits our requirements to the 'T'.

Thanks,
Simple_car

Last edited by Simple_car : 29th May 2015 at 14:52.
Old 27th June 2015, 16:59   #38
BHPian

Car was at the workshop again for routine service and for a check engine light issue. ODO is at 105k kms at the moment.

Cost of service: Just under 26k..

Reason: Change of all belts, and timing chain (and tensioner pulley), which along with labour drove the cost to 15k. The other 10k was for change of pads and brake discs.

Issues: engine oil leak. The car had gone twice to the A.S.S. to refill the engine oil. The leakage was due to broken oil filter bracket.

The replacement car has been finalized. Just waiting for some issues to be sorted.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 11:17   #39
BHPian

Sold the car finally.. only to buy another quanto

Was awaiting the TUV300, s cross and creta launch before finalizing the replacement. Max budget was 12 lacs, and since the TUV300 is down on power (which was one of my main criteria); the other 2 being priced beyond my budget, that left me with nothing other than a new quanto.

Would have happily bought a isuzu d max, if they would allow white board registration, without a second thought. Test drove the car, and it really does shine.

Got a decent exchange offer for this car, and a decent discount on the new one; final payments were cleared. Hoping, the intercooler issues which I was repeatedly facing have been sorted out now in the newer models, since mine was the only problematic car out there in the dealership. Otherwise, the car was rock solid, abuse-able, and ok on the maintainence (pocket wise) part.

Thanks,
Simple_car

P.S. the odo is at 118k kms, and I am retaining the car for a week more before handing over the keys.

Request moderators to close the thread. I am not going to start a new one again, and will post the updates in the official reviews now on.
Simple_car is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 13:34   #40
BHPian

Re: The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!

Quote:
Hoping, the intercooler issues which I was repeatedly facing have been sorted out now in the newer models
Very courageous decision here!

After all the troubles that your 1st Quanto gave you? Did you actually find out if any design changes have indeed been made?

Best of luck with this one. Keep posting away!!!
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 15:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Mahindra must give you a huge loyalty bonus for this.

Most of them wouldn't touch another car of the same make if they had faced problems like you. Did you buy the car from the same dealership your serviced your first car? If yes, that would be the right way to ensure you are their priority customer and get some freebies as well.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:29   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The speedometer is also failing intermittently, for which they will be doing the necessary work under warranty.

How did you resolve this problem? My Quanto has done around 45,000kms. The speedometer needle just falls down to zero at some random time. The vehicle's pulling power also comes down a little when this happens. But the vehicle never comes to a stand still (Thank god!). And this issue is only with the speedo meter. The RPM meter, fuel gauge etc. all works fine.

This problem I noticed around 8 months back, and during the next service the agent claimed to have fixed it. But during the last two trips, I noticed this happening more consistently.

Last edited by sachinpk : 23rd September 2015 at 11:30.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 12:49   #43
BHPian

Quote:
You could have waited for the upcoming Quanto facelift, which has a completely new front end that arguably looks better, changes to the interior, and tweaks to the dynamics of the car as well.
Old 23rd September 2015, 16:25   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Very courageous decision here!

After all the troubles that your 1st Quanto gave you? Did you actually find out if any design changes have indeed been made?

Best of luck with this one. Keep posting away!!!
Thank you

Yes, most problems have been ironed out. The one's which aren't, I am already aware, and are common across the range of quanto and xylo, and partly new scorpio as well.

The intercooler design has been updated from time to time, but mine remains the only car in my area, which is consistently giving them troubles. The factory appointed engineers also couldn't understand it for a looong time. Still, it's a gamble to me. I had considered the etios and liva cross too, but they scraped the roads in my area! If they would have passed, I wouldn't really waste my time on Mahindra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Mahindra must give you a huge loyalty bonus for this.

Most of them wouldn't touch another car of the same make if they had faced problems like you. Did you buy the car from the same dealership your serviced your first car? If yes, that would be the right way to ensure you are their priority customer and get some freebies as well.
Thank you

I bought from the same dealership. I didn't get a huge loyalty discount, but the final deal was very appealing to me, hence I went ahead.

Quote:
How did you resolve this problem? My Quanto has done around 45,000kms. The speedometer needle just falls down to zero at some random time. The vehicle's pulling power also comes down a little when this happens. But the vehicle never comes to a stand still (Thank god!). And this issue is only with the speedo meter. The RPM meter, fuel gauge etc. all works fine.
Hi, I have already replied to your PM. One thing I forgot is that, just like yours, only the speedo needle was having an issue in mine. Just follow the steps which I have mentioned, and if you can, get a video recording when this issue crops up next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
You could have waited for the upcoming Quanto facelift, which has a completely new front end that arguably looks better, changes to the interior, and tweaks to the dynamics of the car as well.
And a very nice price hike as well. Looks, I am least bothered about (exterior and interior). I need a abuse-friendly vehicle which should be powerful, with good GC, cheap to buy and relatively cheap on maintainence. All other parameters (like dynamics et al, go out of the window in my area). So, I am not left with a lot of options in the first place. My car, inspite of the intercooler issues it has repeatedly faced, has proved to me one thing for sure. The suspension and other components were strong. It could handle no roads almost throughout it's life with me, and yet not a single rattle or even a mis-aligned tyre. I have taken a gamble, yes. However, the support is fairly decent from Mahindra, and I don't have much options anyways with my style of work.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 02:06   #45
BHPian

Quote:

I bought from the same dealership. I didn't get a huge loyalty discount, but the final deal was very appealing to me, hence I went ahead.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Hi,

Hows the new Quanto doing? Did you post any photos of it on this forum? Please share your ownership experience and whether you think you were right in not going in for the TUV300?

Thanks!!!
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks