Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2013, 18:03   #1
BHPian

The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!

I will be very brief in this ownership report of this extremely under-appreciated car. Please do pardon me for the poor photography, but then I have little interest in photography.

Breif History:

To those who know my previous car ownership report: Chevy Spark; I had to sell this car off, since it was giving me too many problems. I was unhappy with the car w.r.t. reliability. However, thanks to this car only, I became an enthusiast.

The roads in and around bombay are deteriorating, and with no long term relief in sight, a suv-ish vehicle was the only car we considered.

Our requirements:

1. Diesel.
2. Good ground clearance.
3. Abuse friendliness.
4. Cheap to buy.
5. Relatively cheap to maintain.
6. Parts should be available after-market easily.
7. Car should be delivered within 7 days of full payment.

What we weren't concerned about:

1. Space.
2. Ergonomics.
3. Looks.
4. Rattle-prone ability of a product.
5. F.e. as long as it is 10+.

I believe that only the Indian manufacturers had offerings which were fitting our needs.

Other cars considered:

1. Mahindra Bolero DI --> ruled out since my father wanted a car-like vehicle. We have one at home already, and my dad wasn't keen on another one. I love this thing to bits though, and the BS3 version was cheaper too!

2. Tata Xenon 3.0 litre --> Liked the car, but we did not get any good offers and most dealers in bombay were not enthusiastic to sell. Another very good reason not to buy this car was the fact that the A.S.S. in my area is pretty unreliable. There is a good one whom I trust, but god forbid if you have a lemon... then none of them will support you.

3. Mahindra Scorpio --> only the base model was coming in our budget. Rejected after a test drive. It's just not worth the money.

4. Ford Eco-sport --> Long waiting periods and the fact that it is not a abuse friendly car; we didn't even bother going to the dealers. However, the car was available for ready delivery for a premium.

5. Tata Sumo 3.0L --> An excellent car. I would recommend this car to anyone here. Give it a try. It will surprise you.
and of course the Mahindra Quanto

I would just like to mention one thing: we only took the test drive of the scoprio. I drove the quanto for the first time post-delivery. So I have no experience at all as far as the other vehicles are concerned. The final shortlist was made purely based on price. We were going to register the car in the company's name so we would be paying considerably high tax.

Final shortlist:
1. Mahindra Quanto.
2. Tata Sumo.

Tata was ruled out since although the sumo is a reliable workhorse from tata's, we were not very keen to take a gamble again with the A.S.S.(We had a indica v2 many many years ago which was a lemon, and a big nightmare for us).

Mahindra A.S.S. is no better either, but I am a priority customer at a A.S.S. here, and I have received outstanding service from them. This A.S.S. is no angel either (so Mahindra owners, don't pester me which one is it ), it's just that I know the management there.

My only concern with the quanto was the warranty: 2 years/50k kms. Have taken a risk.. not opting for the extended warranty, since it is covering 100,000 kms only. My requirements mean, I require 200,000 kms minimum.

Dealer experience

Good.

We pitched 2 dealers against each other. Both the dealers however did not inform us of Mahindra's official discount of 41k during that particular month. Even I wasn't aware of this offer. However, once they both realized we were serious customers, both were extremely aggressive with the sales. The stocks with both dealers revealed that the base C2 model was a slow moving one and hence both were trying hard to push the C4 and C6 variants with good offers. However, since we were on a real tight budget, we did not budge either. 4 hours later we got a 50k off from both sides (both dealers refused to budge more), but one of them offered us accessories at discounted prices. Deal was sealed.

The dealer did honour his time commitments and the car was ready 6 days post full payment with the accessories fitted. They did goof up with the registration number, and this delayed the delivery by 4 hours, but at the end of the day, I am satisfied.

The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!-main-image.jpg

Last edited by Simple_car : 30th May 2014 at 14:47.
Simple_car is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 18:18   #2
BHPian

The Car

The Car

1. The ride:
- I find it very difficult to describe this aspect of the car. If you are the sort of person who is used to the ride quality of logan's, nissan's, toyota's (you know.. neutral chassis, and fairly well sorted suspensions), I am sure you will not like this car's ride quality.
- It's bouncy (but not like the old xylo or scorpio), especially for the rear passengers.
- I am not going to comment on the rear-most seats since I have removed them.
- The middle row ride is also on the stiffer side, and the problem gets compounded due to the poor middle seat design.
- After a drive of say 2-3 hours, strangely enough I found myself having a headache. I cannot pin point the reason for this though. It only occurs to me when I drive this car for long.
- However, there is one thing which I love about this car's ride. It's very very FORGIVING. I have just stopped caring about bad roads, no roads, good roads, monsoons now. It's sooo relieving..
- Also, except for the rexton and XUV, I guess this has to be one of the better tuned products from Mahindra stable. My family as such is pretty immune to this suspension mannerism's.

2. The Drive:
- Nice engine. That's the first thing that popped into my mind after driving the car for the first time. The sound is very different from the other 3 cylinder engines I have driven.
- Turbo lag till ~1800 rpms (purely guess work, since this model doesn't have an rev counter).
- Very linear power deliver after that.
- Will do triple digit speeds (110-120) with ease. Engine runs out of breath after 140.
- The engine is at it's best at 5th gear doing 80.
- Gearing is fairly well spaced. It's designed for mileage oriented customer.
- The gear stick transfers a lot of vibrations, but the gates are sure slotting. You won't be making any mistakes while shifting the gears for sure.
- You cannot rev the engine beyond 3k rpm in neutral. Nice touch!
- Higher seating position means, you are aware of everything.
- The ride upfront is much better than elsewhere in the car. I would prefer the front seats in this car.
- The tyre noise is very well controlled (in fact, I did put in some real old mrf's on this car and drove it.. hardly any noise!), BUT the rest of the car doesn't protect the occupants from noise very well. So, if you are in bombay, I guess you can be fairly relaxed. In chennai? No way.. (bear in mind though, I am very sensitive to noise)
- The suspension is very silent, and that just encourages you to drive over the bad roads fast.

3. The Space:
- It's derived from the xylo. Space isn't going to disappoint.
- Huge glasshouse (have you seen the second row windows?)
- I have always seen the quanto as a 5 seater with a big boot. That's why I removed the rear most seats. You have plenty of leg/knee/head/shoulder room for the first and second row passengers.
- The middle row seat is poorly designed. I don't like it. Ok for short trips, tiresome for long)
- Rear boot space is superb. The rear tyre wells do protrude into the boot space, but on the plus side, because of the tall height, you can dump your luggage on top of.. well.. your other luggage

4. Salient points:
- I highly recommend you to put a rear camera for this car. It's necessary, believe me.
- The headlamps and fog lamps are pathetic. Upgrade is a must.
- The quanto is one of the more reliable vehicle's from the mahindra stable. As such, no serious problems have been reported.
- A few owners have reported some faulty ODO readings in the past. It's not present in mine.
- Mileage is pretty good. I get around 12-14 kmpl, which meets my expectations. I am pretty sure, if I were to drive it according my style, I would be touching 16.
- Very very very very abuse friendly car. As such everything in the car is designed more for the cab drivers.
- Nice horn!

Now, here are the features which are peculiar with the c2:

1. The seats are fully vinyl, but at first glance appear to be made of fabric. The driver side seat loses lumbar and height adjustment, though the lumbar support was adequate.
2. There is no MID above the centre console.
3. There is no tachometer.
4. No nifty storage space under front passenger seat and behind the handbrake.
5. There is an anti-slip mat provided on the area where the airbag is located (front passenger).
6. The in cabin lights are also different.
7. No steps for climbing into the cabin. You realize just how good the ground clearance of the car is.
8. No spare wheel cover.
9. No fog lamps (I have gotten it installed from the dealer).
10. No central locking. The locking in this model is very unique. The front doors (driver and passenger) and the rear door (for the jump seats) when open, you cannot press the lock manually (like in the older 800's) and close the door. You can lock only when the door is closed. The back doors on the other hand, the locks can be pressed when the door is open, after which if you close the door, the door will lock.
11. No ICE.
12. The steering wheel design is different.

My biggest grouse with this car is only one: The mid-row passenger seats are not foldable. This is a big let down. It's not that I am ever going to use this, but it would have added to the versatility to this car. I am not asking for 60/40 split seats; all I ask is that the seats should fold down atleat without me having to carry a spanner.

Some minor modifications that I have done:
1. Remove the rear-most jump seats.
2. Got the fog-lamps and side steps installed from dealer (As part of the deal. Also please note, that the stalk for lights is different in this model than the one shown in the review. Hence, the fogs come on when you just flick the switch to mid position)
3. Installed a rear parcel tray (custom built).

Accessories which I have put up in the car:
1. Rear camera and parking sensors.
2. Complete floor matting (the car was delivered with a laminated floor covering the fabric mats)
3. Some decent seat covers.
4. Steering cover

Am attaching the pics of the car:

1. The 205/65/R15 Apollo hawkz H/T tyres on steel rims which the car came shod with.
The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!-tyre.jpg

2. The speedo console.
The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!-speedo-console.jpg

3. Rear view.
The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!-rear-view.jpg

4. That's me sitting behind the driver seat adjusted to my driving position. I am 5'11''. You can also see the back pockets of the seat covers (whose pic I am not going to post since I hate the colour combo my family has chosen ).
The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!-leg-space.jpg

5. Front cabin. Please note that the colour of the plastics is different from the review. The colour is beige-ish in this car. It is not easily visible from the pics here.
The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!-font-cabin.jpg

6. Front view. Wouldn't be able to differentiate the xylo from this view. Dealer installed fog lights (which are rubbish btw).
The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!-front-view.jpg

7. Side profile. Note the great ground clearance.
The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!-side-profile.jpg

8. The rearmost area. I have removed the jump seats and placed a custom built parcel tray. If you spot the gap b/w the parcel tray and the plastic cladding, its ok, I have designed it that way specifically.
The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!-rear-parcel-tray.jpg

9. The anti-slip mat present in the storage spaces.
The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!-antislip-mats.jpg

10. Central area. Note the laminated flooring (got it done from the dealer) and the black mats which I have put on top.
The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!-centre-console.jpg

11. The roof lights. There's one between the 2nd and 3rd row as well.
The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!-roof-lights.jpg

12. The steering wheel which is similar to all non-airbag steering in Mahindra's. Reverse camera screen behind. I have put up a cheap steering wheel cover.
The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!-steering-wheel.jpg

Last edited by Simple_car : 30th May 2014 at 15:42.
Simple_car is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 18:25   #3
BHPian

The Service Guide

I am attaching the pics for my future reference mainly. The pics are bad cause I am a bad photographer. Hopefully though, most of it is legible:

The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!-20131012_234859.jpg

The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!-20131012_235128.jpg

The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!-20131012_235248.jpg

The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!-20131012_235311.jpg

The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!-20131012_235337.jpg

The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!-20131012_235347.jpg
Simple_car is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 18:27   #4
BHPian

First free service

ODO reading of 15k kms. First and second service have costed me 2k and 3.5k approximately.

The suspension has now settled nicely. The ride is now much better than when the car was new. It is still on the bumpier side but tolerable by us. Also, if you load the car, the ride improves substantially.

Thanks,
Simple_car

Last edited by Simple_car : 30th May 2014 at 14:49.
Simple_car is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 18:29   #5
BHPian

The ODO is @ 10,600 as of today. No issues to report. There is a squeak from one of the front seats but that is from day 1. It was rectified by me, but it has resurfaced. Else, everything is fantastic. Car is doing duty on real bad roads day in and out. F.E. is hovering around 12-14 kmpl, pure city runs.

Went for the 2nd free service yesterday, when the final bill came around 3.5k. There was a goof up yesterday with billing due to my fault, hence, I don't have the details yet, but the following jobs have been done:
- Oil and oil filter change.
- Air filter cleaning.
- Differential oil change.
- Gear oil change.

Will post the full details as soon as I get the bill in my hand.

The suspension has now settled nicely. The ride is now much better than when the car was new. It is still on the bumpier side but tolerable by us. Also, if you load the car, the ride improves substantially.

Thanks,
Simple_car

Last edited by Simple_car : 6th November 2013 at 13:09.
Simple_car is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 23:46   #6
BHPian

re: The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!

The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!-20131121_202144.jpg

The issues:
- Left middle blower has broken.
- Brake pads need replacement (expected by me due to the rough use).
- A/c filter is choked.
- The driver side seat was squeaking. Just realized today, that I was fixing the squeaks on the wrong seat. Stupid, stupid me. Fixed it.

No rattles!

Some important points:

1. There have been reports from other Quanto owners that their cars have some odometer errors (the odometer is registering 0.1-0.2 kms extra for every km actually traveled). Did a thorough check on this issue. Not present on my car. The odo is registering GPS indicated kms only.

2. Performance on slopes: I had never driven the car on a slope, until today. Lack of displacement is apparent. The engine does have the grunt to pull.. but you just need to modulate the throttle and clutch a wee bit more. The scorpio/xylo I have driven on this particular slope are pretty comfortable.

3. This car (or maybe the one which I have) is particularly robust. No rattle in a mahindra! Wow! Impressed, considering the kind of abuse I put it through.

4. The clutch is hard. I am not complaining much since it is still better than one other car at my home. Let's see how long it last's though.

5. The F.e. has settled b/w 12-14 kmpl for city runs only. I have sent for a highway run, but I didn't check on the f.e.

Thanks,
Simple_car

Last edited by Simple_car : 30th May 2014 at 15:36.
Simple_car is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 16:18   #7
BHPian

First serious problem

The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!-20131217_180846.jpg

The first serious issue occurred right after the 3rd free service. I am going to put in point form, since the entire story is too long and boring:

- driver reports to me that a lot of smoke is coming from exhaust during hard acceleration.
- car taken to the FNG for inspection and fast solution.
- FNG says that EGR valve is jammed and not opening, and that might be the cause. FNG also points out that the fuel filter has not been replaced.
- car is sent to the A.S.S., where they say that the intercooler is faulty, and the same shall be replaced under warranty when the part arrives in a week.
- I request them to place the intercooler on priority order since I need the car everyday. They say that it's ok to run the car till then. I take back the car.
- I follow up every day with the S.A. for the part status.
- 4 days later, the check engine light comes on, and the car has to be towed to another A.S.S.. Problem was failed HMF sensor, and improperly fitted intercooler hose.
- I write angry mails to Mahindra customer care, but no response for 2-3 days.
- I request the A.S.S. to order the intercooler on priority, and finish off this issue once and for all. Request is denied stating that since the part is already on order with the other A.S.S., it would be best for me to stick to them.
- I take back the car, only to have the check engine light come on next day.
- Furious this time, I raised my voice. The car was attended to on priority, and the intercooler was replaced immediately. Tests were done, and car was handed back to me next day.

Only main issue now is, during the last service, I had the brake pads changed, but the A.S.S. did not do the brake bleeding properly. The brake pedal is feeling very very mushy. Will get it fixed at the next service.

Car has covered 2k kms post this problem, and all is well right now. The car is now looking like it is 3 years old, given the kind of abuse we have done.

Last edited by Simple_car : 30th May 2014 at 15:35.
Simple_car is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 01:58   #8
BHPian

Car has completed 40k kms.

Costly service. Paid 8.9k. Car has held up exceptionally well. Following is a short summary of the bill:
1.air filter: 529
2. oil : 1475
3. oil filter: 249
4. coolant: 1525
5. gearbox oil: 707
6. brake oil: 190
10.total labour: 3412

Of these, air filter/gearbox oil replacement was done as per my instructions. The brake bleeding and coolant replacement was done w/o my approval. I am not going to fight out for this for 2 reasons:
1. I am overall satisfied by their ethics (the guys working on the floor are well motivated to do their jobs, and carry out everything as mentioned)
2. The car has overshot it's service interval by 4k kms due to a mis-communication from my side.

Thanks,
Simple_car

Last edited by Simple_car : 30th May 2014 at 15:39.
Simple_car is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 18:48   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Long-Term Reviews Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 09:59   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Car has completed 40k kms.
================
2. The car has overshot it's service interval by 4k kms due to a mis-communication from my side.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Hi Simple_car,

This is a crips, brief and well written ownership report, you have mostly covered the important points. But, I could not find the OTR price with tax, registration charges and other break up details (accesories and after market fittings). Did I miss it somewhere in the report !!!. Kindly calrify price details, if not present already . Thanks.
Atif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 14:54   #11
BHPian

Congrats for the 40K run!

Though I own a Xylo, I agree with all your points. Service Quality is dependent on the Mahindra A.S.S. And many of the Service Engineers are pressurized to complete their daily-target on time. So for some serious issues, you need to raise voice. Otherwise, they fix the issue temporarily just to close the job sheet on that day.

My Xylo has run 31K and has recently developed an issue in the swing arm as it started making 'kadak' 'kadak' noise when turning. At first attempt the Anant Cars A.S.S informed me that they fixed it, and there was no sound for the couple of days. But soon the sound returned. Finally they are replacing the swing arm. But as usual, the part is not available at Anant Cars (Hulimavu) and I am waiting for a week until the part arrives.
rajeshsundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 19:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atif View Post
But, I could not find the OTR price with tax, registration charges and other break up details (accesories and after market fittings). Did I miss it somewhere in the report !!!. Kindly calrify price details, if not present already . Thanks.
Hi Atif,

No, I didn't mention the price purposefully since mine is company registered. I will clarify it if you so wish to know. I don't remember the breakup now, since it's almost a year now. I will give you a rough idea:

Final OTR: 7.54 lacs (including registration, insurance and handling charges..the best offer was 7.50). The difference b/w company and individual registration is 1 lac approx.

For accessories, I have paid roughly 17k (all accessories mentioned above). For these, I really cannot give you a break up since I just went to my regular local accessory shop, and finalized the deal. Didn't bargain much. You may be able to save some money here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
Congrats for the 40K run!

My Xylo has run 31K and has recently developed an issue in the swing arm as it started making 'kadak' 'kadak' noise when turning.
Thanks a lot!

Well, if you must know, I had a horrible time trying to reach mahindra office. I sent mails to all concerned people, right from customer care to anand mahindra. Pleaded them to get the part ordered on priority since I need the car everyday. When I got no response, I called up the withyouhamesha, and still got nowhere.
Finally, I got hold of the regional office number, wherein I spoke to the regional head, and after that things went on smoothly. I did lodge a complaint with him stating that they should give the option of ordering certain parts to their loyal customers/ customers who need their cars everyday on a priority basis. He mentioned that if such a situation should arise, it's better to get in touch with the regional office.
So, in case you wish to get things done in priority, call up the regional office, and if you talk it out nicely.. it's very likely that your request shall be fulfilled.

Also, what really cheesed me off was the dealer's attitude and approach to the problem (this is not the dealer whom I visit regularly btw). They refused to put the part on order immediately. Told me to wait for a few days when they send a fresh order for the parts. That was the breaking point for me. Till then, I was being very nice and patient.

After that incident, I have had no issues till date.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 00:54   #13
BHPian

Bad News!

The check engine light came on again. The situation was the same as about 30k kms back. Intercooler was bust.

Long story short, the intercooler was sourced the same day, and fitted into the car, and the car delivered back same evening. Great show of support by Mahindra.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The brake oil light came on today. On inspection, the brake fluid reservoir was almost empty. Topped up the brake fluid with DOT 4 Castrol which is available locally, and headed to the A.S.S. (which is now becoming a 2nd home for this car). The brake fluid is leaking from the pipe, which has to be changed. As usual, no part..

Will see how it resolves.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

50k service which has just been concluded on the car:

1. Parts:
- Brake pads: 2746.67
- Oil: 1475.55
- Oil filter: 181.33
- Consumables: 222.22

2. Labour
- 50k service labour: 1462.50
- Pad change: 360
- Brake bleeding (non ABS): 270
- Wash: 350

Total (with taxes): 7948.38

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 11th July 2014, 11:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Brief History
I owned a Maruti Wagon R for nearly 7 years. When I brought her, I felt that it was not a car which many preffered. A lot of my friends then preferred the Santro hatchbacks. What I liked in Wagon R was the "Tall boy" look. I am a fairly tall person (5' 11") and do not like any car where I have to bend-in-three to get inside. Overall I felt that this car was smooth, had that Japanese perfection and had the right amount of holders & pockets to keep things safe. The decision to change came after the vehicle completed 1,50,000kms and the petrol costs were increasing day by day. The future plan of mine involved lots of travelling back & forth to Kerala. Trains accomodation was tough to get, and buses were not of my liking. So self driving had to continue. My wife also drove the Wagon R well.

I was not willing to move over to a Sedan, mainly because of the bend-in-three routine to get inside and outside. I also did NOT prefer another Wagon-R (or look alike), and wanted a Diesel vehicle. The choices were vehicles of Toyota, Mahindra and Tata. Tata some how did not bring up the confidence at all. Toyota had the Innova, but it was too pricey. We did not want a 7 seater car, as we were sure we will not have so many people travelling with us. The other options were Xylo. This again ruled out mainly because of the over-size. We required a smaller vehicle. Scorpio was also ruled out because of the larger size and price tag. Slightly bigger than our Wagon-R that was the requirement. My wife had refused to sit in any Mahindra vehicle which resembles a police jeep (so Bolero, Thar etc. were out of the question ).

Then we decided to try out the Quanto. The dealer came with the highest model C8 with all frills and whistles. One thing we realised that the problem of "body roll" did exist. But the C4 model fitted our price tag. The fuel was diesel, and my wife also said she would be able to drive this vehicle. The feeling of sitting at a higher level, also made her happy I guess.

PS: Maruti Ertiga came a very close second in our decision making process. I wished to try a new vehicle (non-Maruti), plus a complaint that the "pulling power" of this vehicle is low made me skip it. A relative who had this vehicle clearly said that the vehicle came to a "stalling speed" in a ghat section in Kerala, when he had full load of people in it.

Current Status
The Quanto C4 has crossed 20,000kms (in around 8 months).

The not-so-good parts first:-
1. I am getting a low mileage on long distance trips (14-15 is all I get).
2. The vehicle has that typical "jeep ride" feeling. People who ride at the back (in middle row) did mention about the heavy "body roll" and the general bumpy ride.
3. The overall finish (interior especially) is okay, but it still needs more efforts to reach the Maruti level of perfection. At times screws gets popped out of now where. The seats do make squeaky noises. Also I could see wires loosely bound together using cello tapes especially in the area below the steering wheel column. The electrical wiring seems to be a bit amateurish. When I bought the vehicle it made a screechy noise from the front left side when I went over pot-holes or humps. This I feel should have got caught during the quality checks at the company/dealer level.
4. No provision to close down the middle-row to increase the boot space. Quanto has a new "Yoga seat" concept, but not in a mood to invest more money on that at the moment.
5. Old people may find it tough to enter the vehicle (even with the side boards).
6. My biggest irritation: A wheel cap for the spare wheel, which makes refilling air a big operation. I had to unmount the tyre, remove the wheel cap fill air and then put it right back. I have now got a separate C8 type wheel cap and use it. Have already made a complaint to the Mahindra folks on this regard.

The good part next:-
1. Much better view of the roads. The driver (and navigator) is clearly at an elevated position. I found a marked increase in comfort level during night driving.
2. Huge huge interior space !! Good leg (and body space as well). The front dashboard and the area next to the gear lever has enough and more space to park your personal items like wallets, cups, USB drives etc. The area to keep CDs seems to be too shallow to hold them.
3. Good boot space and it holds baby pram and huge luggages.
4. Good for bad or rough roads. The road clearance is also excellent.
5. Savings in fuel cost - mainly due to lower Diesel prices.

Summary
This vehicle is NOT recommended for people who wish to have a very relaxed and sedated mode of travel. The vehicle is a bit rough, and so more suited for a bit of a rough ride. The vehicle may also NOT be suited for people who wants to have a very very smooth interior (and electrical fittings), who considers this as part of a "classy" mode of travel. I may also NOT recommend this vehicle if the users wants to use their vehicle to prove some point (that they are an elite set of people, they always go for perfect products/vehicles, and that they just want the perfect level of comforts available for them). In a way Quanto may be the Aam Aadmi type of vehicle .

The servicing agents of Mahindra also seems to be lagging way behind the Maruti service agents. At times you really need to check and double check to ensure that the work you want them to do is completed. In my case I also noticed that for my rear view sensor & cam the dealer had played a trick. The display had the Mahindra logo in it, where as the control box (which is placed under the carpet) was of a cheap product. My sensors had a problem and I contacted the dealers of the original Mahindra certified equipment. They came and was surprised to find the cheaper control unit. As per them, only the display unit and sensors were Mahindra certified. The box was of a cheaper make. Where as I paid the price for a genuine Mahindra certified kit. So Mahindra service centres are more "people dependent" (if you speak local language, and know the servicing staff on a personal basis - you get better service) than Maruti which is more "process dependent" (minimum quality assured).
sachinpk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 13:08   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post

Then we decided to try out the Quanto. The dealer came with the highest model C8 with all frills and whistles. One thing we realised that the problem of "body roll" did exist. But the C4 model fitted our price tag. The fuel was diesel, and my wife also said she would be able to drive this vehicle. The feeling of sitting at a higher level, also made her happy I guess.

Current Status
The Quanto C4 has crossed 20,000kms (in around 8 months).

The road clearance is also excellent.
5. Savings in fuel cost - mainly due to lower Diesel ...
Beautiful summary there sachinpk. Your summary is spot on. Your mileage may be on the lower side due to Kerala roads and ghats. The owners I have met here report such a mileage for city drives, with highways giving them around 18 ish. I would take these reports with a pinch of salt because I generally mistrust most owners description of mileage (majority always inflate the figures for reasons best known to them).

My car is returning a mileage of 12-14 in city.

About your Mahindra dealer experience, I would suggest you get hold of the regional office's number and keep it in handy. If you face any problems this number will come in handy. Worst cum worst, call up their Mumbai offices and your problem will be sorted out in a jiffy (I used this approach when I wanted my intercooler sourced the same day)

I personally rate Mahindra s support 2nd to maruti in India. Their dealers are a different story altogether, but in big metros it's no longer much of a problem.

-----------------------x-----------------------------x------------------

I have heard a rumour that Mahindra has revised the design of their intercooler for the xylo and quanto. The dealers are pleading ignorance as of now. I have shot a mail to Mahindra and shall update if true.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks