Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2023, 11:03   #706
BHPian

Re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
He enjoys riding shotgun as much as I do driving and he is not just a co-passenger. He is remarkable when it comes to roads and driving rules and also guides like a champ, better than some of my own roadie friends.
Parag, your long-term ownership threads of your Ertiga and WagonR are gold

So much useful information and a wonderful testament of your love for your cars & travel. Your DIY tasks are also delightful to read. Hats off.

I'm posting a query here in this thread since you have sold your WagonR. I read in the other ownership thread that you cleaned your throttle body yourself. After taking inspiration from you I'm planning to try the same in my Zest (Petrol). The first impediment that stands in the way are the removal of spring-band clamp that are attaching the hoses to pipes. Man! I never knew they can be so stubborn to remove and put back. How did you manage to do it? Some special type of pliers, I presume? Can you point me to where I can get a decent/rugged one?
{Expectedly, my engine bay has many such clamps, and I presume that having this plier may come in handy more than once. What has been your experience on these clamps, in both Waggie and Ertiga?}

Thanks in advance

Last edited by srvm : 22nd September 2023 at 11:04.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 12:16   #707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
The first impediment that stands in the way are the removal of spring-band clamp that are attaching the hoses to pipes. Man! I never knew they can be so stubborn to remove and put back. How did you manage to do it? Some special type of pliers, I presume? Can you point me to where I can get a decent/rugged one?
You get special tools for the hose clamps. However, I use a pair of nose pliers and cutting pliers and they very well do the job when it comes to removing and reinstalling these clips in both the cars.

WagonR has more of the spring loaded clips while Ertiga has clamps with screws.

Ensure that the pliers are neither too large nor small. Large pliers will make it difficult to reach tight spots. Small pliers will require too much effort due to shorter handles. A regular sized plier will do the job perfectly.

More than the pliers, when you attempt to clean the throttle body, please have a good quality star screw driver as you will have to loosen quite a few to open it up and clean.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 19:07   #708
BHPian

Quote:
You get special tools for the hose clamps. However, I use a pair of nose pliers and cutting pliers and they very well do the job when it comes to removing and reinstalling these clips in both the cars.

WagonR has more of the spring loaded clips while Ertiga has clamps with screws.
Thanks a lot, Parag.
Did not want to just thank your post, wanted to post an update as well. As a follow up to your post, I ordered a Plier tool and 3M Throttle plate cleaner from Amazon (link here and here).

Could easily remove the spring band clamps using the tool. Removed the air inlet hose connecting to throttle body. Did not remove throttle body from its mount since it meant removing 4 nos. of M6 bolts with very little space to use the wrench. Used the 3M throttle plate cleaner directly and followed the instructions given on it. Cleaned with a soft cloth. Lot of dirt removed to my satisfaction (my car odo is 74700km and this is the first time I'm cleaning throttle body).

Now the idling rpm is stable and throttle response is also sharper/better . Have been asking TASS & my FNG for throttle body cleaning in the last 2 services. Both did not show any interest in doing it. Finally, Rs.760 for aforementioned 2 items and 20 minutes of my time was enough to get this done. BIG thanks to you Parag .

Last edited by srvm : 24th September 2023 at 19:09.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 19:25   #709

Re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Quote:
Periodic Servicing and other updates:
While I have been visiting the ASC for the 20K Interval service, I have otherwise visited FNG for the 10K interval service mainly because it would involve just the Engine oil and filter changes. There have been no issues so far with the mechanicals or electrical of the car and the ownership till date has been reliable to say the least. Here is a pictorial summary of some updates related to servicing and issues that were faced.
Hello Mr.Parag
If i am not wrong, of all the maintenace costs you incurred only the suspension replacement costs havent been shared by you.
Can i get to know the same please.

Last edited by bblost : 2nd November 2023 at 20:24. Reason: Reduced the size of quoted texts.
Old 7th December 2023, 19:58   #710

Tried my DIY today. Replaced air filter and changed oil of my Ertiga successfully. Thank you Paragbhai.It boosted my confidence to move to next level of DIY. Pictures of my lovely companion for fellow bhpians.Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-img_2587.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-img_2588.jpg
Enviroclan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 21:11   #711
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderDriver View Post
Hello Mr.Parag
If i am not wrong, of all the maintenace costs you incurred only the suspension replacement costs havent been shared by you.
Can i get to know the same please.
Here you go! I found this from the App based on my memory that I had replaced all suspension in 2019 and soon after headed for a trip to Gujarat too.

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-screenshot_20231212210054_maruti-suzuki.jpg

Quote:
[*]Suspension replacement:
I visited Surakshaa Car Care before my next mega drive to Gujarat for the 180K Periodic service. I was apprehensive about the suspension and had asked them to check the health of the same. I was given a call to inform that one of the front suspension had a minor leak while the rear suspension were quite OK. Since I am too finicky about this, I asked them to replaced all the suspension together once for all, including the lower arms. So the stock suspension of the Ertiga lasted for over 180,000 Km although the rear suspension still had good life for at least another 10,000 Km.
Bonus pic, if I may call that so

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20231204_135920.jpg

Happened last week, just about a month after 10 years of phenomenal and reliable ownership. Would prefer to provide more details in terms of updates since the last one in another post later.
paragsachania is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 21:41   #712
BHPian

Unbelievable Parag bhai.. but excellent thread and what a benchmark for car ownership and maintenance!! Wish you many many more safe miles!!
vikramv4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 19:44   #713
BHPian

Hello Parag Bhai,

I hope you can help me with a strange issue. I have never faced this before and haven't yet read something similar in any of the threads that I have read so far.

Yesterday, while driving on the busy Begur road my car came to a sudden halt with a jerk. I restarted the car and tried to slot it into the first gear when I sensed something was off. It seemed as if the car slotted directly into #3 instead of #1. I got back to neutral and slotted the lever into the first gear but faced the same issue again. Since I was blocking traffic, I slotted the car in second gear and the vehicle inched forward slowly on half-clutch. Upon changing the gear from #2 to #3, the vehicle seemed to be slotting into the fifth gear. It was as if the first gear was replaced with third gear and the third gear was replaced with the fifth gear. Sensing trouble with the gears, I got off Begur road into one of the bylanes and tried to work the gears again, but to the same results. Infact, the vehicle was moving forward if the reverse gear was engaged.

When I took the car to Suraksha Maruti at their Bommanahalli workshop and gave the vehicle for servicing, they seemed to fix the issue within 10 minutes. Since they had propped the car into the wheel alignment platform and worked from the basement, I couldn’t exactly see what they did. Once they were done, I was told that the clutch cable bush had gone bad, and they had replaced it. Here are the bill contents:

Materials & Parts
01. Bush, Select Cable (Rs. 22.88)

Labour Charges
01. Gear Shift Control Cable - Both Sides (Rs. 808.30)

When I asked the SA whether this could happen again, he said that a complete clutch cable assembly would have to be replaced in case the issue propped up again. Is this true? Have you faced a similar issue ever? Also, the labour charge seems to be on the higher side for replacing a bush. It took the mechanic about 10 minutes to replace the bush. Was I overcharged for this repair activity?
Old 8th April 2024, 20:06   #714

Wow, Parag Bhai - I am truly motivated to drive my Ertiga Zdi+ for another 1.5L. Thanks for the detailed explanation on every sequence. Going thru the thread along with the photographs was a satisfying experience.

I wish Kalyani was cool enough to let me take pictures.
(I did convince myself to ditch all Maruti Service)

I was wondering if any of you folks could help me with a few niggles that I am facing.

- I have driven about 1.15 L KM on my Ertiga ZDI+
- Replaced Clutch plate & Timing chain in the month of Nov.
- Got the EGR cleaned and the Hose for the intercooler replaced

Problem:
I sense a huge delay before the turbo kicks in...
Pickup is sluggish, I am forced to accelerate more to attain the pickup than I used to. Wait to attain 80 to 100 KMph is quite a long one and I haven't had any respite with the mileage either.

I am considering to get the fuel injectors, Radiator, Turbo checked...
Finding a mechanic, willing to invest his time to solve the problem in Banashankari area (Bengaluru) is becoming a hassle...

I'd appreciate any of your suggestions. Thanks in advance...
Old 8th April 2024, 22:40   #715
BHPian

@jaideep.
The Ddis engine is fairly reliable. In your case I would have the injectors and fuel pump checked. Airfilter if dirty also has a impact on pickup.
The turbo can be rebuilt and checked at TEL authorised service centre.
Also keep a eye on the amount of engine oil filled. Anything above 3.1litres will completely take away the way the turbo kick is felt.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks