Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2015, 10:53   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My W222 Mercedes S-Class (S350 CDI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Had a spin in the S-Class last weekend. Gosh, what a master-piece! This is easily the best sedan in the world, superior to even more expensive cars like the Phantom.

Surprised by how well Mercedes conceals its size - it has presence, but doesn't look ungainly in person. Just as well in these politically-correct times I guess (unlike the brash W140). What's even more surprising is how the car shrinks around you when you drive it hard. The S has phenomenal grip & poise. I love pushing big sedans and felt she was surprisingly agile for all that sheet metal.

I still insist, for chauffeur-driven comfort, quality, finesse & technology, nothing else comes close. Some personality the car has. Man, I didn't want to step out after the drive .

What I didn't like - very disconnected drive (intentional), slow but smooth gearbox (intentional), the comand system which just doesn't feel cutting-edge and the missing memory seats.

Would I buy it? Maybe when I'm older. For now, I'll stick with sedans the size of the E-Class / 5-Series / A6.
What took you over a year to ride in the new S?! Thought you would have already done donuts in one of their media cars or would have been glad to take you for a spin earlier.

I agree with your dislikes,especially the last one of the missing memory seats I infact find the comand a bit too cutting edge at times, its not the most user friendly either and takes time to get used to it. Once you connect it to the internet it really gets cutting edge, you should have a look at that- uses google traffic info, streaming radio etc. However, I haven't been able to use much of that thanks to it's non parability with the iOS. Infact, I might get a cheap android phone to keep in the car at all times just to use these features.
As you begin to live with the S you will find yourself loving the smooth disconnected drive. It's surprising coming from a horsepower junky like me but I give preference to poise over power. The S has the charisma to make a man into a gentleman, I often find myself underdressed to enter the S It commands that respect not only from it's onlookers but also it's owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msudhir View Post
Mercedes Has a Policy of delivering their cars with a Tankful of Fuel. They did so for My E. Think it had almost 60 Litres of PETROL if not the full 75 Ltrs.
Damn right! Yet they delivered mine nearly empty. But the dealership did try and do it's bit to make up for the bitter experience soon after.
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:42   #62
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
What took you over a year to ride in the new S?!
I've driven it before, but only short stints. This was a proper drive with a highway run.

Quote:
its not the most user friendly either and takes time to get used to it.
Seriously man! For all the money Mercedes has spent on developing it, they should just hire a team of user-interface designers from Apple for the comand system. It sucks.

Quote:
Once you connect it to the internet it really gets cutting edge, you should have a look at that- uses google traffic info, streaming radio etc.

Quote:
However, I haven't been able to use much of that thanks to it's non parability with the iOS.
While I'm a diehard Android fan, I'll be the first to say it's plain stupid to not have compatibility with the iPhone. 9 out of 10 S-Class owners I know use an iPhone.

Quote:
The S has the charisma
Charisma indeed. It's an occasion to just admire the car in person, leave aside drive it.
Old 21st November 2015, 20:15   #63
BHPian

Just wanted to check if there is any way you can switch on the Comand so as to have it on standby for the phone but with no music playing in the Backgrpund. Somehow I always have to have the music on so as to have the BT on standby. At times I prefer to have no music and I am not able to do this.
Old 21st December 2015, 11:08   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Discovered an excellent feature recently as we had a couple of highway trips in the past month. When at higher speeds the wind and road noise increase greatly the driver often has to speak up louder for the rear passengers to hear him/her, but now in the S. The microphone above the driver is used to transmit the voice to the rear speakers seamlessly amplified even when the music is playing. The driver's voice is crystal clear at the back when this feature automatically gets activated at higher speeds, even really low voice pitches are picked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msudhir View Post
Just wanted to check if there is any way you can switch on the Comand so as to have it on standby for the phone but with no music playing in the Backgrpund. Somehow I always have to have the music on so as to have the BT on standby. At times I prefer to have no music and I am not able to do this.
I don't think I quite understood your question.
My bluetooth connects to the phone within seconds of me sitting in the car and remains connected irrespective of music playing from my phone. Hope this helps answer your question?

Last edited by Sahil : 21st December 2015 at 11:09.
Sahil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 15:09   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

6 months & Counting...

Another error popped up the other night "Auxiliary battery malfunction"

This is the battery used to crank the car when the start stop function is used. It's surprising that this got busted as this feature is seldom used in my car as we find it very annoying. Its the first thing I switch off after I start the car.

I sent the car into Shaman this morning, the part is being replaced under warranty.
I have asked my SA to raise this issue with MB that two warranty replacements(first one was the lighting system error) in 6 months is not ok, MBIL needs to pull up their socks, this is their flagship model afterall. Let's see if MBIL reaches out and takes it's customer feedback seriously.
Attached Thumbnails
My W222 Mercedes S-Class (S350 CDI)-img_2236.png  

Last edited by Sahil : 7th January 2016 at 15:11.
Old 7th January 2016, 15:27   #66
BHPian

Re: 6 months & Counting...

Quote:
MBIL needs to pull up their socks, this is their flagship model afterall. Let's see if MBIL reaches out and takes it's customer feedback seriously.
Please do keep us updated on this issue.
I really do want to see if MBIL will understand the importance of such issues.
It is not even a question of the car in question being MB's flagship car.
Be it any car, the company shall handle the problems efficiently and shall put in special attention in such matters which can raise fingers on their reputation.

P.S.:- Boy oh Boy wouldn't it hurt to see such things come up on a car this new?

Luv.
Luv_Jaiswal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 17:30   #67
Senior - BHPian

You should seriously shoot a strongly worded mail to Mercedes India about it, 2 warranty replacements within 6 months for a car like S class should not be calmly accepted. MBIL should respond and provide some apology/compensation for this.

Is the part in stock? Surprised to see the aux battery failing, this feature is irritating on Indian roads and even i keep it switched off in my 3, since you said that you also keep it switched off, there is no reason for it fail so soon.
It is indeed sad to see your new car parked at the dealership for niggles so soon., hope this is just a one off case.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 7th January 2016 at 17:51.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 21:43   #68
BHPian

Hi sahil sorry to hear about your issue. Do keep us updated. Just wanted to know your thoughts on Mercedes for making the C class, E class, S class look exactly the same.
Old 8th January 2016, 13:34   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLoverJosh View Post
Hi sahil sorry to hear about your issue. Do keep us updated. Just wanted to know your thoughts on Mercedes for making the C class, E class, S class look exactly the same.
Their new design language is annoying as the C looks like a shrunken baby S. Fortunately the upcoming new E looks more like the C than the S. The new design language is great but I would have expected MB to use some more innovation and make each model look distinctive like they did in the past. However, given the proposition and size of the S, the design does most justice on the S. To me it is the most handsome of all current generation Mercs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Is the part in stock? .
Yes, fortunately the part was in stock and was replaced within a day. Perhaps this auxiliary battery is a common issue hence the part was readily available. However, whether replaced quickly and for free or not, this should not be happening to a car this new and thus this whole experience leaves a bad taste. It makes me feel insecure about the reliability and future of this car since they only let me buy extended warranty upto the 4th year. They ought to give me an extension of this or I will be living in fear everyday once the warranty is over. Moreover, in my case I have come back to the brand after a 14 year gap when my first C180 was the most unreliable car we ever owned. I have taken the risk of restoring my faith in MB reliability, they better not disappoint this time around.
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 22:47   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

It's been a year already!! Time indeed does fly!
The car went in for its first annual service. It's clocked 10k kms. Service costed 30k including labour and consumables which I think is a fair price and at par with rival brands.

Got her detailed inside out two months ago. Yet looks and drives as it did exactly a year ago.

My W222 Mercedes S-Class (S350 CDI)-350.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th May 2016 at 12:51. Reason: Typo (driver>drives).
Sahil is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 10:48   #71
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The car went in for its first annual service. It's clocked 10k kms. Service costed 30k including labour and consumables which I think is a fair price and at par with rival brands.
That's cheap! Considering some hatchbacks & sedans have a 3,000 rupee 1st service, 30k on a car costing 15 - 20 times as much isn't bad. That's lower than I would have expected, honestly.

Quote:
Got her detailed inside out two months ago. Yet looks and drives as it did exactly a year ago.
The Germans age so slowly, and none slower than the best of them all - the S-Class.

Where did you get her detailed?

Quote:
The microphone above the driver is used to transmit the voice to the rear speakers seamlessly amplified even when the music is playing.
Unreal. The things these German engineers come up with. Can be especially useful in a cabin as big as that of the S-Class.

Quote:
Another error popped up the other night "Auxiliary battery malfunction"
While still inexcusable, such small things here & there wouldn't worry me as much. Your car is 2+ years into the production cycle, so the major issues should (hopefully) be taken care of.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 12:14   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

That's lower than I would have expected, honestly.

Where did you get her detailed?

While it is lower than what I expected too, I would be surprised if it was much more because I pay approx the same for the RS5 too. Although I have been the biggest promoter of BMW BSI packs, I am glad for now that I did not take the service inclusive pack by MB which costs over 4 lakhs for 4 years. Just didn't find this viable, the first service cost proves this too. I did pay for the 4th year warranty so things can't go too wrong. Major consumables I am dreading are brake pads, brake discs and engine mounts(these go more often in a diesel)
This first service only had consumable charges of engine oil and oil filter change and few small items.

Got her detailed by Kamyo. Had uploaded more pics of this in the Kamyo thread.

Last edited by Sahil : 27th May 2016 at 12:19.
Old 27th May 2016, 15:00   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I did not take the service inclusive pack by MB which costs over 4 lakhs for 4 years
Doesn't it cover 4th Year additional warranty as well ? I think 4 Lac for 4 years is very good unless you drive so little which appears to be your case. And MB covers Wheel Balancing & Alignment as well . I think if you are driving about 20 K a Year these packs will be beneficial. But let's see what happens with your usage after 4 Years - I still feel you will end up paying more even with your limited usage
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 11:36   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Doesn't it cover 4th Year additional warranty as well ? I think 4 Lac for 4 years is very good unless you drive so little which appears to be your case. And MB covers Wheel Balancing & Alignment as well . I think if you are driving about 20 K a Year these packs will be beneficial. But let's see what happens with your usage after 4 Years - I still feel you will end up paying more even with your limited usage
No, 4th year warranty costs little over a lakh and not included in the service pack. I asked my service advisor this time about wheel alignment and balancing and he told me it is not required in this car unless you change the tyres or have a suspension issue/change.Also, I have a staggered setup so tyre rotation is required less.

My average running is about 800 to 1000kms per month so in 4 years I would clock approx 50,000kms. In this time I would have changed all 4 brake pads(approx 35k a pair) twice, all 4 brake discs once and engine mounting once(might not be included in service pack). These would be the major wear & tear consumables parts that I forsee in the next 4 years.
As per these parameters, my guestimate is that I will spend approx 3 lakhs on maintaining the car over 4 years.

The service pack is 4L+service tax(Jan'15 pricing, probably has gone up now)+interest expense since you are paying upfront = Approx 5 lakhs. Hence,overall I would land up saving 2 lakhs, fingers crossed !!

Moreover, MBIL service packs are not as inclusive as BMW's, here is the link: http://www.mercedes-benz.co.in/conte...e_Package.html

I hope MBIL offers a longer service pack in the future or at least a longer warranty as I would like to keep this car for a minimum time of 5 years and upto 7 years too when the new generation is out.

Last edited by Sahil : 28th May 2016 at 11:41.
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 18:54   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Just observed that the finally the Comand Online started working with iPhone! I guess they updated the software during this service.

Now I can access several internet features such as live traffic, internet radio, weather forecast and news updates. The internet radio is the only major feature I see that I would use. The traffic would be useful too while using navigation but haven't tried it.

Below are a few screenshots. The last screenshot is of the voice amplification that I mentioned earlier, the new software update allows you to turn it off too.

My W222 Mercedes S-Class (S350 CDI)-1.jpg

My W222 Mercedes S-Class (S350 CDI)-2.jpg

My W222 Mercedes S-Class (S350 CDI)-3.jpg

My W222 Mercedes S-Class (S350 CDI)-4.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 4th June 2016 at 08:03. Reason: Correcting image orientation
Sahil is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks