Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2017, 09:17   #181
Team-BHP Support

re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Excellent work Raja !! That VCDS cable is very expensive.
How is the impact on the braking experience ? Do the brakes bite early with less pedal travel ? Could you please elaborate more on this part ?
Thanks F150

Yes. The brake bites early and the biting power is progressively more for the same pressure applied on the brake pedal. This results in better braking.

PS: In order to make sure that this was not a placebo effect, I took the car for a test drive and kept changing the parameter to make sure that the improved braking is real.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 10:59   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

Set the Hydraulic Brake Assistant to "Early". It was "Normal" early. I now feel significant improvement in braking.

Set the Electronic Differential Lock to "Strong". It was "Medium" earlier.
Interesting, but 2 questions:
1. Why would VW set the braking to Normal when it's obvious from regular usage of the car that braking is inadequate?
2. Does the GT TSi really have the Electronic Diff Lock? I don't see it in the specs. It's possible that the softwarre/GUI you are using (pirated?) is generic for all cars and hence this option shows up on the screen. But it will have no effect on GT TSi.
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 11:54   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
1. Why would VW set the braking to Normal when it's obvious from regular usage of the car that braking is inadequate?
2. Does the GT TSi really have the Electronic Diff Lock? I don't see it in the specs. It's possible that the softwarre/GUI you are using (pirated?) is generic for all cars and hence this option shows up on the screen. But it will have no effect on GT TSi.
1.The strong setting in XDS results in excess brake pad wear. Moreover the XDS works its stuff only on curves, not in a straight line.
2. The software used is genuine all right, the XDS works like a psuedo electronic differential using the ESP system to brake the inner wheels to reduce understeer. More here. It works only on cars that have ESP, which the TSI incidentally has.

Last edited by batterylow : 17th February 2017 at 11:56. Reason: Additional data
batterylow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 13:39   #184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. I have no idea why VW did this, I confess.
2. As batterylow has already explained, the electronic differential is implemented using the ESP system where braking is added to the inner wheels to reduce under steer. This results in the car holding the line in corners. The side effect is that this results in quick brake wear.

https://corstein.wordpress.com/2014/...le-easter-egg/

And the software is the original from Ross Tech site.
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 10:00   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting. If XDS is available on our GT TSi, even I will like to try enabling it.
One question about the XDS+ in the GTI - is that same as this XDS on GT TSI? I tried looking up for this info but did not find any clear and authentic info.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 11:15   #186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Interesting. If XDS is available on our GT TSi, even I will like to try enabling it.
One question about the XDS+ in the GTI - is that same as this XDS on GT TSI? I tried looking up for this info but did not find any clear and authentic info.
XDS is definitely there in our GT TSi. Try enabling it in your car and you will definitely feel the difference.

I am not sure if XDS+ in the GTi is same as the XDS in GT TSi. Most probably, the GTi should have a much advanced system than the GT.
Old 20th February 2017, 18:46   #187
Senior - BHPian

Could you share more information on the KW street comfort coilovers, as in source, cost etc. I am thinking of getting this for my Jetta TDi. In case this information already exists in one of the threads, a link to the same would also be highly appreciated.

The other query that I have is regarding the VW logo on the Polo. It is my understanding that this doubles up as the boot opener, assuming that it is the case, how does it function now what with the camera installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
........This setting along with the KW Street Comfort coilovers now results in the car cornering as if on rails.

Two very useful tweaks that greatly improve the performance of the car.
Old 20th February 2017, 18:53   #188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Could you share more information on the KW street comfort coilovers, as in source, cost etc. I am thinking of getting this for my Jetta TDi. In case this information already exists in one of the threads, a link to the same would also be highly appreciated.

The other query that I have is regarding the VW logo on the Polo. It is my understanding that this doubles up as the boot opener, assuming that it is the case, how does it function now what with the camera installed.
Hi,

I got the coilovers from PJ Speedsport in Chennai who are the dealers for KW. I have documented the installation in the below post in this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4114559

I will PM you the contact details for PJ Speedsport.

The reverse camera completely replaces the VW logo. It has the VW logo that still flips to open the boot, and also pops up the camera while reversing. When you flip it to open the boot, the camera is folded under a plastic flap.

Check out the below thread for more details of the flip camera, operation and installation.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...lo-gt-tsi.html
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2017, 17:52   #189
Team-BHP Support

10000 Kilometers Up:

Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-10000-km-up.jpg

The car has been a pleasure to drive and no issues yet - touchwood.

Last week end had a chance to drive in the hill roads of Ooty for the Coimbatore TBHP meet. The drive was in one word - BLISS! The combination of the 205 tires, coilovers and the VCDS tweaks for brake assist and XDS results in superb handling and grip in the curves.

New adapter bracket and water drain for the Flip Camera

I had a couple of pending items on the flip camera install - fixing the water drain mechanism and upgrade the adapter bracket to a better one. Completed this last week. I will document this in detail in my Flip Camera thread.

The new adapter bracket. The camera has to be dismantled first, the camera body fixed to the car with the adapter bracket, and then the camera mechanism has to be fixed to the camera body.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-adapter-bracket.jpg

A 9mm hole to be drilled inside the car and another at the edge of the hatch. The water drain pipe that came with the camera has to be routed through these holes.

Drain pipe connection inside.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-drain-pipe-inside.jpg

Drain pipe connection outside.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-drain-pipe-outside.jpg

This completes the installation. Now pour water below the hatch opening logo and the water drains out from the boot lip. There was an issue with a leak in the water drain pipe fixture in the camera which I solved using glue. More on this in my Flip Camera thread.

OEM BiXenon Installed

Last week I installed OEM BiXenons. I started research on this in November, took almost 3 months to collect all the required components and completed the installation last week. This was the toughest DIY I have undetaken ever. This was a 3 day DIY effort which involved a BCM upgrade, a major rewiring of the headlight system and some tough Yoga moves. With the BCM upgrade, the following features are active.

1. Automatic headlights
2. Static cornering
3. Coming home and leaving home lights
4. DRL's turn off when indicator on
5. Cornering lights on while reversing
6. Single side parking lights on for parking by the side of the road in dim light

A few pictures during the installation:

The full set - Valeos BiXenons, wiring looms from spain, IRVM and rain light sensor and BCM Max (7E0 937 090 B)
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-complete-set-components.jpg

Fixed the new headlights.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-headlight-fixed.jpg

Almost 80% of the work was done in this position. Had to remove the seat so that I (and my friend who helped me with the wiring) could lie down and access the BCM and relay circuit behind the steering column.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-working-wiring-1.jpg

Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-working-wiring-2.jpg

Fuse carrier removed. There were some 5 or 6 new connections to be made in the fuse carrier.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-fuse-carrier-removed.jpg

Removed all the terminals from the existing headlight connector, transferred to the new connector in the wiring loom.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-remove-pins-existing-connector.jpg

Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-transfer-new-connector.jpg

The headlight connectors completed.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-headlight-connectors-assembled.jpg

There were about 20+ new connections to be made to the BCM.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-bcm-connector-wired.jpg

Once everything was connected and assembled, finally had to code the BCM to adapt to the remote keys and to configure the BiXenon operation.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-coding-progress.jpg

There were some issues in fixing the rain light sensor to the existing windshield. I plan to fix this by installing a new windshield (the latest version) with the rain light sensor and mirror. I will try to create a dedicated thread to document this in detail (time permitting).

The final result:

Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-result-1.jpg

Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-result-2.jpg

Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-result-3.jpg

Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-result-4.jpg

Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-result-5.jpg

Planning to take some videos and pictures of the light output, pattern, special functions etc. Will update once I have them.

That's all I have for now folks!

Last edited by graaja : 13th March 2017 at 17:57.
graaja is online now   (37) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 05:37   #190
Team-BHP Support

Made a couple of videos on the features and light output of the new OEM BiXenons with BCM upgrade.

graaja is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 12:13   #191
BHPian

This is amazing , specially cornering lamp
vineet1712 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 12:59   #192
Team-BHP Support

Re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet1712 View Post
This is amazing , specially cornering lamp
Yes. The cornering lamps are fantastic in the curves (this can be seen in the drive-by video as well). They give very good visibility. When I had to choose between LED headlights and BiXenons, cornering lights were one of the major factors that tilted my decision towards BiXenons.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 13:40   #193
Team-BHP Support

Re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

Take a bow Ganesh!

Incredible DIY and seriuosly impressive efforts from your side. You went all guns blazing with this mod - the best BCM that there is for the Polo today, the OEM bi-xenon headlamps, the new wiring harness, OEM auto-dimming mirror with the RLS, original Ross tech cable and what not?! I don't see why you didn't - the older setup gave you quite a headache!

Very glad to see the new headlamps with the DRLs - please take a snap with her elder sibling on those green fields where you guys head out for the photoshoot. Will make for some nice snaps I reckon!

Will meet up sometime at Coimbatore and yeah, let's get the other mod done sometime this year.

PS: Took the liberty of changing the title of the thread to reflect the update. Please let us know if you need it edited or reverted to the older one.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th March 2017 at 14:20.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 14:18   #194
Senior - BHPian

Woah! amazing stuff there graaja.
Now awaiting the "other mod" mentioned by Gannu, the suspense thickens...
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 21:51   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Take a bow Ganesh!

Incredible DIY and seriuosly impressive efforts from your side. You went all guns blazing with this mod - the best BCM that there is for the Polo today, the OEM bi-xenon headlamps, the new wiring harness, OEM auto-dimming mirror with the RLS, original Ross tech cable and what not?! I don't see why you didn't - the older setup gave you quite a headache!
Thank you so much for your kind words, Gannu!

Actually, you are my inspiration to do all these DIYs on the Polo. Your appreciation means a lot to me

Thank you so much for patiently answering my questions and also for the efforts to get the BondTite!

Quote:
Very glad to see the new headlamps with the DRLs - please take a snap with her elder sibling on those green fields where you guys head out for the photoshoot. Will make for some nice snaps I reckon!

Will meet up sometime at Coimbatore and yeah, let's get the other mod done sometime this year.
Yes. It would be very nice to have a photo shoot of both the cars. Will plan for this sometime soon. It would be awesome if we could meet soon. Looking forward!

Quote:
PS: Took the liberty of changing the title of the thread to reflect the update. Please let us know if you need it edited or reverted to the older one.
Thanks a lot for taking the initiative. I was just thinking about creating a request and you did it. The title is perfectly fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Woah! amazing stuff there graaja.
Now awaiting the "other mod" mentioned by Gannu, the suspense thickens...
Thanks a lot for the kind words!

Will keep updating on all the new mods

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks