Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2016, 20:37   #166
Team-BHP Support

re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Congratulations graaja on a beautifully maintained car and great set of mods and a well documented thread as well.

I resisted doing any mods on the GT TSI after reading reports of a GTI launch. I have to thank VW for lauching it at such a crazy price and bringing me back on the ground .
Thanks a lot Santhosh!

Even I had an eye on the GTi and had limited my mods to simple ones, thinking about upgrading to GTi 2 years later. But after seeing the crazy pricing, I decided to spruce up the GT and keep it for longer period instead. The suspension upgrade is just the beginning of a long list

Quote:
Suspension upgrade is almost becoming a must now. I have a service coming up shortly. I'll try pushing for a warranty replacement on the shocks as they are clearly shot and also making some clunky noise. I hope the noise intensifies in the coming days . If I get a replacement I'll stick with it for some time, otherwise the B6 will have to come in.
You get a warranty replacement, or you install B6, either way you win! In my opinion, the GT needs at least a B6. That too after the other cars you have driven, you need a suspension upgrade to enjoy the GT.

Quote:
How much of an improvement are the Brembo pads over OE? The OE pads suffer from a lot of brake fade upon hard baking.
The Brembos over stock discs offer significant improvement in braking - I would say about 30% to 40%. I am quite satisfied with the performance. Though it still does not offer the same braking power as all round discs of the Jetta, this is much better than the OE brakes. I have a wish to upgrade the rear brakes to discs, but am holding back due to the costs and complexity.

Quote:
PS : Your car is now begging for a nice set of 16" Rims.
Ha ha. With the improvement in stance due to the lowering, I am tempted to go for 16" rims. However, the other mods that I have lined up and the costs involved are holding me back

Last edited by graaja : 23rd December 2016 at 21:00.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 18:53   #167
Team-BHP Support

re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

Installed VW Flip Camera

I have been eyeing the VW flip camera that fits in the VW logo on the boot for a long time. But had been postponing as it was very expensive (>20K INR). A couple of months back, saw that the price of the camera in AliExpress had dropped to $140 including shipping, which was just 10K INR. Could not resist this deal and ordered the camera. The camera arrived in 4 weeks.

AliExpress link to the camera

The price is even less now, about $127.

The package had the camera, two cable assemblies and a drain pipe
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-full-set.jpg

The logo can be flipped. When the camera is powered, the black spring loaded flap opens and the camera pops out
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-opened.jpg

Got it installed last week. There were two problems which made it a difficult DIY.

Problem #1:
The mounting holes in the camera did not exactly fit the mounting holes in the GT. I had to design a metal base that fit the camera to the body. I got this done in a workshop. Right now, I have a prototype base. I plan to make a proper mechanical drawing and have a laser cut and powder coated base in a couple of weeks.

Problem #2:
Pulling the wires from the camera in the boot to the HU was not easy for a novice like me. So, I took the car to an auto electrician and got the cables brought inside the cabin behind the glove box.

After this, I was able to do all the wiring connections to the HU and get the camera working. Below are a few pictures.

Installed. The camera replaces the VW logo
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-installed.jpg

When reverse gear is engaged, the logo flips up and the camera pops from under the logo
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-reverse-gear-engaged.jpg

Close up view of the camera
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-close-up.jpg

The field of view. In the earlier camera that I had on the number plate light, the field of view was very restricted. I could not see objects a little farther from the camera. But this camera has a perfect field of vision with both near and far objects visible.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-field-view.jpg

I plan to write a detailed DIY thread on the camera installation in a couple of weeks once I get the base fabricated.
graaja is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 02:47   #168
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The price is even less now, about $127.
It is at $107 now.

Quote:
I plan to write a detailed DIY thread on the camera installation in a couple of weeks once I get the base fabricated.
I have been a silent reader of all your threads (Ownership and DIY's) but this one made me post a reply. Eagerly awaiting Sir for the report. I am fully glued to the D.I.Y section awaiting the full thread. Good you checked AliExpress for the cam else this would have never happened thanks to the high pricing of the OE one.

This is the best rear cam addition to any car that I have ever seen. Beutiful and thoughtful design by VW. Hats off to the actual person who got it out!

I think every manufacturer should go this way for the rear cam rather than having it stick out like a sore thumb. And the logo being in the center of the body, the view to the driver is aligned and straight as needed.

Quoting from S-Cross Official Review
Quote:
The reversing camera is placed towards the left of the car. As a result, while using the screen to parallel park, you will always feel that your car isn't aligned with the car behind you, even if it is
I love the addition and wish there was something for we Maruti owners too. I would have fixed it right away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Attn Gannu_1, you have another equipment to add to your Polo! IMO it will be one more beautiful addition! What Say?!
a4anurag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 10:16   #169
Senior - BHPian

I have to admit, I don't need a reversing camera at all (the parking sensors work just fine), but I've always wanted this just because of how wicked cool it is. That concealed camera is just such a neat trick.

Quick question; I'm still rocking the RCD-510 in its stock avatar. What will I need to upgrade/add to support this? I'm imagining cables and the headunit itself, anything else I'm missing out on?
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 11:20   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I have to admit, I don't need a reversing camera at all (the parking sensors work just fine), but I've always wanted this just because of how wicked cool it is. That concealed camera is just such a neat trick.

Quick question; I'm still rocking the RCD-510 in its stock avatar. What will I need to upgrade/add to support this? I'm imagining cables and the headunit itself, anything else I'm missing out on?
Hi Karan, This camera does not fit the Jetta. The Jetta's logo size is smaller than this one. However, I will write to the vendor and find if they have any other version that can replace the Jetta's logo.

If a camera is available, then yes, you will have to change the HU to a model that supports reverse camera video input - the RCD330 could be a very good option for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I have been a silent reader of all your threads (Ownership and DIY's) but this one made me post a reply. Eagerly awaiting Sir for the report. I am fully glued to the D.I.Y section awaiting the full thread...
Thank you for the kind words, Anurag. Will post the DIY thread soon.

Quote:
This is the best rear cam addition to any car that I have ever seen. Beutiful and thoughtful design by VW. Hats off to the actual person who got it out!
Totally agree. The way the logo flips to reveal the camera is so cool, I am extremely glad I got a chance to fix this after a long wait.

Quote:
I think every manufacturer should go this way for the rear cam rather than having it stick out like a sore thumb. And the logo being in the center of the body, the view to the driver is aligned and straight as needed.
Yes. Cameras fixed offset from the center (like the previous one I had), make it difficult to judge the objects on either side of the car as the distance is different on either sides. Cameras mounted in the center are best for judging the objects while reversing.

Quote:
Attn Gannu_1, you have another equipment to add to your Polo! IMO it will be one more beautiful addition! What Say?!
+1. This would make a very good addition to Gannu's GT
Old 29th December 2016, 11:29   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Installed VW Flip Camera

I have been eyeing the VW flip camera that fits in the VW logo on the boot for a long time. But had been postponing as it was very expensive (>20K INR)..
Wow. Nice addition. Looks very cool. Looking forward to the detailed report. Wondering about the longevity of the spring loaded action? Did you get any info/data around that?

Does this make sense for the bigger sedans? Do you plan to get it for your Jetta?

Edit: Just saw your post above regarding the Jetta. But I assume this would fit the Vento.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 29th December 2016 at 11:31.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 11:43   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Karan, This camera does not fit the Jetta. The Jetta's logo size is smaller than this one. However, I will write to the vendor and find if they have any other version that can replace the Jetta's logo.

If a camera is available, then yes, you will have to change the HU to a model that supports reverse camera video input - the RCD330 could be a very good option for this.
Good thing I didn't click on 'Buy Now' then!

Thanks for the heads-up though. You know, I read it as supporting the Golf, so I imagined it would support the Jetta. There's got to be something out there supporting the Jetta though, you just know it.

Inevitably, I will upgrade the ICE at some point if I own the car long enough, so that's as good an excuse as any to get the head unit upgraded. Chalo, let me know if you come across any camera compatible with the Jetta.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 11:44   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Wow. Nice addition. Looks very cool. Looking forward to the detailed report. Wondering about the longevity of the spring loaded action? Did you get any info/data around that?

But I assume this would fit the Vento.
Thanks Rajeev

Actually, the flip action is driven by a solenoid. Looking at the mechanism, the spring is just to close the flap when the camera goes in. So, if the coil of the solenoid has been designed right, there should be no issues with the longevity. Having said that, this being a purchase from AliExpress, only time will tell about how long this lasts. Hope it lasts the lifetime of the car. Fingers crossed!

I haven't had a chance to look at the Vento's logo yet. If the Vento's logo is 110mm in diameter, then this could fit it. Will check with a friend's Vento when I get to meet him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Good thing I didn't click on 'Buy Now' then!

Thanks for the heads-up though. You know, I read it as supporting the Golf, so I imagined it would support the Jetta. There's got to be something out there supporting the Jetta though, you just know it.
Ha ha. Good that you did not order it. Even I was about to order two of them, but held back after checking the logo size in the Jetta

I have written to the vendor to check if they have a different camera that is supported for the Jetta. Will update you once I receive a response.

Last edited by graaja : 29th December 2016 at 11:53.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 20:20   #174
Senior - BHPian

This should fit the Jetta.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CCD-...06a58796&tpp=1

Of course it would be good to have a confirmation from the vendor as different year models may have different dia. logos.

Thinking ahead, if this fits different year models then we could do a group buy to get better pricing from the current level $161.00 odd

Last edited by khoj : 5th January 2017 at 20:23.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2017, 23:18   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Street Guardian satisfied 4/5 of my requirements. It does not embed speed data on the videos. I felt I could compromise on this feature
Hi Raaja,

Dash cam is stunning.

Is there any software update so that the speed data can be embedded as well ?

If the speed info is not shown on the recorded videos then what is the purpose of the GPS unit ? Pls enlighten me if I'm missing something here.

Thanks,
keeru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 06:17   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeru View Post
Hi Raaja,

Dash cam is stunning.

Is there any software update so that the speed data can be embedded as well ?

If the speed info is not shown on the recorded videos then what is the purpose of the GPS unit ? Pls enlighten me if I'm missing something here.

Thanks,
Hi Keeru,

Yes. There is a software update available for the dashcam to embed speed in the video clips. The links to the software update are available in the below post by harsh79.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...l#post4104102\

harsh79 has posted tons of video clips from the camera that show speed embedded. I think new cameras come with the speed embedding feature already installed.

I have updated my camera with this software update, but have not checked the video clips yet.
Old 9th January 2017, 17:29   #177
BHPian

Now this flip camera is amazing and making me think to get one.

I have 2013 highline vento with OE stereo system (Controls on steering as well)
Few Questions:
1) Will this camera fit on my vento?
2) I plan to get RCD330 plus : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...n-guide-4.html
3) What all connectors will I need? As I am a beginner I need to know what type of radio connector I have?
Do I have ISO or Quadlock connector?
Do I have CANBUS system?
Do I need to work on software side as well?

Last edited by vineet1712 : 9th January 2017 at 17:31.
vineet1712 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 17:47   #178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet1712 View Post
Now this flip camera is amazing and making me think to get one.

I have 2013 highline vento with OE stereo system (Controls on steering as well)...
Hi Vineet,

I don't know if this camera will fit the Vento. If you can do some tests, we may be able to decide if it is a fit.

1. Measure the diameter of the VW logo in the boot.
2. Open the boot trim and see how the VW logo is fixed to the boot. A photo could be useful.
3. Remove the VW logo and take some photos of the logo assembly and the mounting holes in the boot.

Once we find out if the camera is compatible mechanically, then we can decide on other details.

Made this short video on the flip camera for the DIY thread (under construction). Thought I would post it here as well.

Last edited by GTO : 9th January 2017 at 23:37. Reason: As requested :)
Old 16th February 2017, 20:23   #179
Team-BHP Support

Ross Tech Cable and Two VCDS Tweaks

Two VCDS tweaks that I wanted to do since beginning are the brake assist and electronic differential. These settings are found in adaptation channels in the ABS/Brake controller. The first VCDS cable I got was version 12.12 from AliExpress. This threw an error "missing rod file" for the ABS/Brake controller. Then I bought version 15.7 hoping it would identify the controller. Unfortunately, this version also threw the same error.

Recently, I have been collecting components for an OEM BiXenon headlight upgrade which involves upgrading the BCM to 7E0 series. As I did not want to take a risk of AliExpress cable identifying the BCM, decided to go for the original Ross Tech cable. Fortunately, Ross Tech recently came up with an enthusiast model priced at $199 that supports 3 VIN numbers (earlier price was $350 for unlimited VINs). Placed the order and received the cable in 4 days.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-vcds-cable.jpg

The total cost was $199 for the cable, $80 for shipping and INR850 for customs.

The first thing I did after receiving the cable is the two tweaks.

Set the Hydraulic Brake Assistant to "Early". It was "Normal" early. I now feel significant improvement in braking. I had earlier upgraded to Brembo red pads. The combination of the VCDS tweak and the Brembo pads produces very good braking.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-brake-assist.jpg

Set the Electronic Differential Lock to "Strong". It was "Medium" earlier. This setting results in braking applied to the inner wheel during hard cornering which greatly reduces understeer. Faster the corner, greater the braking applied to the inner wheel resulting in very good steering response. This setting along with the KW Street Comfort coilovers now results in the car cornering as if on rails.
Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!-electronic-differential.jpg

Two very useful tweaks that greatly improve the performance of the car.
graaja is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 21:37   #180
Senior - BHPian

Excellent work Raja !! That VCDS cable is very expensive.
Quote:
Hydraulic Brake Assistant to "Early". It was "Normal" early. I now feel significant improvement in braking
How is the impact on the braking experience ? Do the brakes bite early with less pedal travel ? Could you please elaborate more on this part ?
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks