Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2018, 21:00   #106
BHPian

re: My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi - The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!

Yours is probably the only long term report on the new Figo. It is extremely detailed and well articulated. Such a pity that a diesel rocket like this does not have more takers. I have been a fan of the new Figo ever since its launch. The only thing which has kept me from buying it is the weak petrol engine on the manual and the confused/unreliable DCT on the automatic. My usage does not warrant a diesel motor.

I'm eagerly waiting for the Figo facelift. I'm hoping it gets the 6 Speed TC box besides the 3 cylinder dragon series petrol.

Meanwhile, keep posting your updates as you cross the 1,00,000 km milestone and possibly many more.

Last edited by SDP : 23rd March 2020 at 09:37. Reason: Spacing between paragraphs
JayKavadi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 12:55   #107
BHPian

Odometer: 99000KMs,
Alloys paint status update:

It's been more than a year and ~29000KMs distance covered since I got the alloys painted gloss black at the local paint shop(cost: Rs.5K).
As far maintenance is concerned, I ensure that the car is serviced regularly and repair/fix niggles as soon as they are noticed. But I am not good at taking care of the exteriors of the car (read: regular cleaning/wash etc). I get a full body wash done once in a month or two. DIY cleaning has become less frequent of late(regrettably!). Given the above 'exteriors' maintenance set-up, the paint has been holding up quite OK, so far. There have been some scratches here and there, caused during wheel removals/refitting etc. Overall, I am happy with the paint quality.
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img_20181124_164508826.jpg  

My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img_20181124_164539787.jpg  

My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img_20181125_111025711.jpg  

espraveen is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 21:45   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by espraveen View Post
Odometer: 99000KMs,
Hi
How is the oil consumption since the last service? If the oil consumption is higher, I would advise you to raise a complaint directly with Ford India before the car crosses the 1L mark so that in future if there is any issue, you can safely point out that the car used to consume oil even when under warranty.
auto_enthusiast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 20:44   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
... If the oil consumption is higher, I would advise you to raise a complaint directly with Ford India before the car crosses the 1L mark so that in future if there is any issue, you can safely point out that the car used to consume oil even when under warranty.
Thanks for the advice The car's indeed consuming more than expected levels of engine oil. More on this in the 1L KMs service update here:

1L KMs service update:
08.12.2018, Odometer - 99803KMs, at Lakshmi Ford, Vijayawada.
Parts replaced/services taken: Engine oil, engine oil filter, gasket drain plug, washer fluid, air filter. Total amount paid - Rs.285/- (I had taken the Flexi service plan at 90K KMs for Rs.6479/- which covered the expenses for this service as well, hence I had to only pay for the air filter this time around). Total savings due to Flexi service plan came to about Rs.1500/-.

Coming to the major issue that's been going on for the last two service intervals -> excessive engine oil consumption:
I have been noticing excessive oil consumption since the 80K KMs mark. Reported the same to the service centre back then. Excessive consumption couldn't be established beyond doubt during the 90K KMs service though. The car needs to consume more than 2 litres of engine oil during a service interval for it to be categorised as excessive oil consumption(as per the service centre). So, the monitoring continued post the 90K KMs mark.The level went really low at 97K KMs(13.10.2018). Checked-in the car at Lakshmi Ford, Vijayawada for inspection. Service centre also confirmed the excessive consumption pattern this time. Engine oil top up (1Ltr)was done immediately.
And now, during the 1L KMs service, only about 1.5litres of engine oil was drained out (indicating an engine oil consumption of ~3.35litres in 10K KMs, engine oil capacity is 3.85litres for Figo diesel).
Service centre has suggested a thorough check-up to find the cause.Their guess is that the piston rings could have been worn out leading to excessive consumption. Clogged EGR valve could be an additional cause too.
I have planned to send the vehicle for repair in January.
As I have extended warranty till 1L KMs, service centre has stated that the repair would be covered under warranty(they actually double-checked the complete service records of the car and ensured that the vehicle has undergone all the scheduled services on time before committing for the warranty cover)
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img_20181209_192801937.jpg  

espraveen is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 09:13   #110
BHPian

Quote:
excessive engine oil consumption:
I don't know whether you are aware of it or not but Ford had issued a service bulletin under which all 1.5 TDCi mills are covered for excessive Oil consumption. According to Ford, oil consumption of only 1 litre for 10k kms is considered normal. Some of the first lot of EcoSport also had this same issue.

If I'm not wrong, your car's engine needs an overhaul. Ford may insist you to share a part of the cost since your car has run 1L kms but don't give into their demands and ask for a complete overhaul free of cost. When at it, I would suggest to get the EGR also cleaned.

Please do update us on the future developments.

Last edited by SDP : 23rd March 2020 at 09:39. Reason: Typos and pls -> please
auto_enthusiast is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 19:09   #111
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know whether you are aware of it or not but Ford had issued a service bulletin under which all 1.5 TDCi mills are covered for excessive Oil consumption. According to Ford, oil consumption of only 1 litre for 10k kms is considered normal. Some of the first lot of EcoSport also had this same issue.
Is there any official mail or release for this?
Old 10th December 2018, 22:43   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Is there any official mail or release for this?
You can check with the service centre. If you have good relations with them, they will show you the service bulletin (meant for internal purpose only)

Last edited by auto_enthusiast : 10th December 2018 at 22:44.
auto_enthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 00:34   #113
BHPian

15.12.2018(Saturday): The Figo crossed the one lakh KMs mark on this day. Time taken to reach the mark -> Three years, one-and-a- half months(took delivery on 01.11.2015). It has been a more than satisfactory ownership experience so far!
I couldn't resist from capturing the following two odometer readings:
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img_20181215_220350319.jpg  

My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img_20181215_220025063.jpg  

espraveen is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 09:17   #114
BANNED

Quote:
If I'm not wrong, your car's engine needs a overhaul. .
May not be. Per my experience, engine overhaul is required if there is drastic loss of acceleration, significant amount of smoke even when driving sedately - basically if the engine develops excessive blow-by or what is commonly called as 'back-compression'. Other thing to verify would be if the turbo is leaking oil. Opening the intercooler and having a visual check may reveal some information about the same.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 15:35   #115

Quote:
15.12.2018(Saturday): The Figo crossed the one lakh KMs mark on this day. Time taken to reach the mark -> Three years, one-and-a- half months(took delivery on 01.11.2015). It has been a more than satisfactory ownership experience so far!
I couldn't resist from capturing the following two odometer readings:
Hi Praveen - Its been a while since you've shared an update here. How many miles has this diesel rocket crunched so far. Also, please can you share the service costs details post 1,00,000 kms. How is the oil consumption since the last service?
Figo'dd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 10:24   #116
BHPian

Re: My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi - The Mile Cruncher: 79,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The SOHC architecture with 8 valves doesn't help breathing across the rpm range. And that's why it smokes a bit more than usual.

A better air filter should help slightly.
Does this smoke affect the engine in the long run? Any worries during the PUC checks?

Last edited by SDP : 23rd March 2020 at 09:41. Reason: Typo
Old 29th December 2019, 21:02   #117
BHPian

Long overdue update ():
Current Odometer ~116500KM,
Vehicle running condition: Still brings a contented smile

Updates: The Figo crossed 1Lakh KMs last December(took three years to get to the milestone). Thereafter, the monthly running came down drastically(~1300KM/month). The battery conked off in March, 2019(Odo~106000KMs) during a short drive to the local market (luckily) in the city. Replaced it with Amaron battery. Servicing at 1.1L KMs was done in May, 2019. No major issues apart from excessive engine oil consumption that I had been reporting since the 80K KMs service. Two more noteworthy incidents occurred thereafter - 1) The front left tyre went over a pothole(~2'*2' in size) at around 70KMPH on a state highway that resulted in irreversible internal damage (a cut). The tyre had done around 30K KMs till that time and had to be replaced with another Michelin. 2) The front underbody lip was damaged when the car went over a pretty large waterlogged pothole at an underpass during the monsoon (was actually driving slowly in second gear, it was an unfortunate incident).

Now to the burning issue:
I have been reporting excessive engine oil consumption to the service center for the last four visits (starting at the 80K KMs service). The Figo has been put under observation since then. No concrete conclusion could be arrived at till the 1.1L KMs service. But, during the current interval, the car has been consuming excessively high amount of the oil. I visited the service center couple of weeks back (Odo 116000KM) and 2 litres of oil was topped up. That's quite a lot. The service manager suggested to run the car for about 1000KM and bring it for a check up. They were pretty sure that I will have to go for an engine overhaul to fix the issue and the overhaul will ensure long term health of the engine.
As far as the performance of the car is concerned, it's running absolutely fine currently. Now, I am in a bit of a dilemma whether to go for the engine overhaul or not (I am a little apprehensive actually, what if opening up the engine would cause more harm than actually fixing the issue? 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' situation). Should I go for the overhaul?

Last edited by espraveen : 29th December 2019 at 21:07.
espraveen is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 21:53   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Long overdue update ():

[

Should I go for the overhaul?
I don't really think you have an option at this point. Your car is not sipping oil anymore. It is literally gulping it or burning it off in layman language. You will do more harm to the engine by delaying the overhaul or not doing it. The engine oil consumption will keep on increasing and it will eventually reach a level where you won't be able to keep up with topping oil. You risk a seized engine at that juncture.

For now, it seems only the Piston rings are at fault. Getting them changed shouldn't be a huge deal at all. You might also have to get the cylinder bore sleeves changed if it is scathed or has scuff marks. This is a known issue for a particular batch of 1.5 TDCIs and yours seems to be included. It's nothing to worry about. Push for partial warranty if it is possible as worn out Piston rings on a regularly serviced diesel should never go bad at all.

Last edited by ajmat : 29th December 2019 at 22:58. Reason: trimming quotes
vishy76 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 12:27   #119
BHPian

Re: My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi - The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!

Quote:
Long overdue update ():

As far as the performance of the car is concerned, it's running absolutely fine currently. Now, I am in a bit of a dilemma whether to go for the engine overhaul or not (I am a little apprehensive actually, what if opening up the engine would cause more harm than actually fixing the issue? 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' situation). Should I go for the overhaul?
Hello. Has ford diagnosed what actually the problem is?
Piston rings? Turbo?
Are you getting blue smoke from the exhaust or there is no visible smoke while running?

Am following this thread as the 1.5tdci is now standard on multiple Ford and any second hand buyer would be concerned if this issue starts cropping up in multiple cars. Already the 1.4 old figo is plagued with failing injectors issues(mostly pre 2013 model), this 1.5 shouldn't have its own set of problems.
Please keep us updated.

Thank you

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 17th January 2020 at 12:29.
rambo1o1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:31   #120
BHPian

Re: My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi - The Mile Cruncher: 79,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The SOHC architecture with 8 valves doesn't help breathing across the rpm range. And that's why it smokes a bit more than usual.

A better air filter should help slightly.
Does fuel quality has anything to do with the black smoke? I feel awkward when my car smokes even at low revs!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks