Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2006, 09:37   #31
BHPian

One thing I forgot to mention was that the clutch pedal has a long path, so to work it, I have to take my heel off the floor. With the 800, I could operate the clutch with the heel planted and could depress the pedal and release it again. But with the Petra, I hae had to learn to lift my foot completely off the floor to do the same thing. The play of the pedal should be adjustable to reduce its total movement, don't you think?
The more I drive the car, the more I enjoy it. The ratios are perfect for fast driving. Particularly the third gear can handle a wide range of speeds, so that when one gets to the fourth, its time to slow down. Its a fun car. Pity so many people give so much importance to FE.
BTW, I refuelled yesterday, and by the amount of fuel that went in, FE came to 9.6kmpl. Not at all bad, considering how excitably I have been driving these past four days. I am going to love driving this car.
Old 24th November 2006, 09:44   #32
BHPian

Not a bad FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shbhrao View Post
Prabhuddhadg

Congratualtions. I too own the same model black ( I call her the panthera) and it's indeed a pleasure to drive the car especially on freeways. I love it when it is the first one to race ahead after stopping at signals and can overtake any car when speeding:-) and yet remains rocksteady. I out in 44kms daily and ever since I have started driving on the palm beach and using 5th gear most of the times she has given me an avg of 11kms/litre.
That sounds pretty good. I commute 4 KMs a day (1 KM each way and two round trips), I get about 7-8 KMPL. It goes to 8-8.5 KMPL when I do some city commute. I was thinking Petra's FE to be more like 9 KMPL. 11 KMPL sounds great for this kind of a car.
Old 5th April 2016, 17:11   #33
BHPian

Re: New Petra 1.6 ELX

Just remembered this thread from way back. Well, I feel good to say I still have this car and drive it quite regularly. Its done 1.15 lac km and is still going strong.

There it is looking so nice, in a recent photograph.
Attached Thumbnails
New Petra 1.6 ELX-petra-2016-march.jpg  

prabuddhadg is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 18:40   #34
kkg
BHPian

Kudos for keeping it in such good condtion:.thumbs up Could you please share some major problems and expenses you had in these 1.15 lac kms (if any)??
Old 5th April 2016, 19:27   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Just remembered this thread from way back. Well, I feel good to say I still have this car and drive it quite regularly. Its done 1.15 lac km and is still going strong.

There it is looking so nice, in a recent photograph.
Wow, that is a rare sight indeed.

Care to share more details on the ownership ?
Old 5th April 2016, 22:15   #36
Senior - BHPian

I had almost bought this car albeit the diesel one back in early 2007 before sanity prevailed and I bought my Marina. But I was and am still in love with the Fiat. Kudos to you for keeping her in beautiful condition.
Old 5th April 2016, 23:08   #37
Team-BHP Support

I joined TBHP 11 years ago to ask questions on Petra. Then I was guided towards to Baleno because of Fiat's shenanigans. Fiat's web site got hacked around then and they didn't have a website for few months. And they didn't care they didn't have a website. That scared me away from Fiat, and into the arms of Maruti.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 10:40   #38
BHPian

I too got most of the information about the Fiat Petra from Team bhp (and from the Paliousers yahoo group) in 2006. Had I not been living in Bombay, with so many (at that time) Fiat mechanics and service centres available, I would not have chosen the Petra.

Over the years, I realised that Fiat was a company of top notch engineers but their recruitment budget was probably fully consumed by just this department.

They may be bad at marketing, their sales persons may be less knowledgeable than the customers and whatever service network they have may be just a fluke. But, the cars they make are so good.

I enjoy driving in any circumstance. Be it bumper to bumper peak hour traffic or be it the short trip to the neighbourhood atm, I do not mind taking the car out. But these cars really come into their own when you take them out on the highway. Having lived in Bombay for the past 15 years or so, I have had quite a few opportunities of driving on the Poona Expressway and on the NH 3 to Nashik. Both routes offer a short Ghat section.

The Petra (and even the Linea Tjet, which is the car I drive more often now) shows its superb balance on the curved sections. I am a mediocre driver and I usually chicken out when a Honda City or Verna driver gets into a speeding match with me. However, there are countless occasions when I have been overtaken on straights on an approach to the Ghats and then found myself cruising past those cars who had to slow down on tire squealing corners. The feedback from the hydraulic steering of the Petra (even further improved in the Linea) gives a very precise feel of what the front tires are doing. In addition, the car is so well sorted, both in terms of balance, as well as its suspension, that the rest of the car happily follows the front.

It was just this feel of being completely sorted that led me to the Linea Tjet when I was thinking of a new car, at the end of 2014.

In fact, at that time, I had planned on selling the Petra. I even put up a sale post on one of the popular auction sites. But later, when I saw my own ad, I realised that I just could not part with the car. So, just recently, I got it fully repainted. The photo I posted yesterday, was of this repainted car. Having driven extensively in peak hour traffic, sharing the road with (ignorant) auto rickshaw drivers, and (I fail to find a suitable word for them) two wheeler riders, the car had many scars and bruises.

The car has been mechanically sound since it has always got the benefit of capable service centres and technicians. First, it was Anuroop Auto, in Malad West. Then after they shut down, I had about three or four years when I had to depend on Shaman Auto who were located in Sewri, about 33 km from my place. Then in 2012, I found R S Motors who were like a stone's throw from my home. So, service-wise, the Petra has been very fortunate.

The Petra has never broken down on the road, except once, when the accelerator cable broke and I had to use some jugaad to increase the car's idle and slowly nurse it home. It has had its fair share of parts requiring replacement, from ignition coil to fuel pump to water pump and suspension and clutch plate. The tires have been surprisingly long lasting, probably because of the car's sorted balance. My first set, the tube type Bridgestone S322's lasted some 72,000 km and the car is on its second set of tires now, at 111,000 km. Michelin XMII's, which show no sign of wear.

Now, however, I see the beginnings of a shortage of parts and one has to wait or hunt around for some. For instance, just yesterday, a typical Mumbai motorcyclist bumped into the Petra and broke the rear tail light. Fiat does not have stock of Petra tail lights. They are still available on 99 rpm.com, but at stratospheric prices. Luckily, Fiat has a close knit band of enthusiasts (I am a part of the group) and I have been able to source replacement lights.

So traffic is getting worse each day, with the need of more and more involvement of law enforcement, and I keep worrying about the Petra's well being. So the Linea is my more regularly used car these days. But given the right volume of traffic, the Petra is a completely satisfying car to drive. I have always felt that buying this car was a great decision on my part.
prabuddhadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 11:48   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But these cars really come into their own when you take them out on the highway.

However, there are countless occasions when I have been overtaken on straights on an approach to the Ghats and then found myself cruising past those cars who had to slow down on tire squealing corners. The feedback from the hydraulic steering of the Petra (even further improved in the Linea) gives a very precise feel of what the front tires are doing.
Sheer nostalgia! The picture rekindled the memories of the day I bought my Palio NV - ten years ago. Costed me 4,95,000 OTR then. Dealer was practically begging me to throw in an additional 50,000 so that I can take home a Petra! Every time I see a Petra, I go . Of course, but for the power difference, Palio is no slouch, and what is stated above holds true for Palio also.

Recently, did a trip to Diveagar & Murud. People advised against taking the Rajapuri - Roha road, because of the steep ghats. It was one of the best part of the journey. The car simply sailed through the corners - no fuss, no complaints. Of course, a couple of inclines had to be taken on the 1st gear.

Quote:
It was just this feel of being completely sorted that led me to the Linea Tjet when I was thinking of a new car, at the end of 2014.

So, just recently, I got it fully repainted. The photo I posted yesterday, was of this repainted car. Having driven extensively in peak hour traffic, sharing the road with (ignorant) auto rickshaw drivers, and (I fail to find a suitable word for them) two wheeler riders, the car had many scars and bruises.
Same here. The Punto was very attractive. Only other car I considered was Figo. Somehow, every time I get into the Palio, I can't bear the thought of selling it.

Can you please share the details where you got the repainting done and cost involved? I am also exploring 3M sticker (film) job...

Quote:
The car has been mechanically sound since it has always got the benefit of capable service centres and technicians.

It has had its fair share of parts requiring replacement, from ignition coil to fuel pump to water pump and suspension and clutch plate.

Now, however, I see the beginnings of a shortage of parts and one has to wait or hunt around for some.

But given the right volume of traffic, the Petra is a completely satisfying car to drive. I have always felt that buying this car was a great decision on my part.
Yes, owning a Fiat in Mumbai and Pune is not that painful, as there are competent mechanics available.

The problem of sourcing spares remain. I am observing that the original spares from 99rpm are worth the price. Recently, I had broken the mirror (glass only) in the ORVM (lucky that the impact didn't break the casing). Got a spare from the local market - about Rs. 150/-. One fine day, while cruising on the old Pune-Mumbai road, the mirror just flew away What had happened was the sticker which was used to keep the plastic attachment on the back of mirror (which then sort of clamps down in the contraption in the case) had weakened!! Got a replacement from 99rpm. Cost 890/-. But fitting perfect. Even the head light reflection in night is well dimmed (contrary to the local one, which used to give out a glae).

Wish you many more miles and smiles in your Petra
Old 6th April 2016, 12:12   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Sheer nostalgia! .... Of course, a couple of inclines had to be taken on the 1st gear.
Haha I suspect that would be more because of the engine and exhaust note rather than speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Can you please share the details where you got the repainting done and cost involved? I am also exploring 3M sticker (film) job...
I got the painting done from R S Motors. They are a Fiat Authorised service centre, and now and then, they even get customers from Poona. They are quite good and since I started going to them, I have not needed to consider going elsewhere. The painting cost me Rs 32,000. Basically only exteriors and without fully scraping off the earlier coat. They just removed the dents, scraped the scratches, applied primer where required and applied the paint.

Thanks for your good wishes and my best wishes for your peaceful drives.
prabuddhadg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks