Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2018, 00:15   #121
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Hi Asit, very well kept Corolla there. Mine is a 2008 Corolla J. Single hand, driven by me.
I also plan to keep it till it goes. Recently replaced the rear shock absorbers for 12k, planning to replace the front too. Can you please share the cost of front shock absorbers which you got. Also which LED's did you replace?

Hi inder,

I have got the gas filled struts from Monroe. I guess the cost was around 6k for the pair. Also you will have to replace the strut mount and plates depending on their condition. It should set you back by another 5k + labour. I will share the link of the 4300K LED's soon. Let me get the exact product link from my friend who ordered it.

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 16:11   #122
BHPian

re: Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!

Hi All,
Just went through the thread and it has been a great read. I have moved to Pune recently and looking for another car to drive locally. Wanted to check if anyone has exposure on the automatic corolla and how is the reliability for the same. I already have a manual and considering to get an automatic car in Pune. I am looking at a used car saw a couple with over 1 lakh kms on the odometer. So contemplating and also look at other automatic options. My budget is around 2.5 lakhs for the same.
Old 12th August 2018, 14:20   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Got it done from VR Suresh Key Center - Tambaram (Chennai)
https://www.justdial.com/Chennai/VR-...6_BZDET/photos

He has the blank & transponder chip for most of the makes / models. In my case he tried with the available chip but couldn't succeed, later got a different chip (glass material) and cloning machine.

In case if you need the chip alone, I can support or you may contact him directly.

PS: can you post the snap of your key blank? (inner construction)

After around 6 months of this post, I went ahead and got a spare remote key for my 2006 Corolla.

I didn't wanted to spend more and hence went with OEM design key from a local key maker after checking his work and reviews.

Transponder and sensor are from my existing remote which recently broke.

Entire work took around 15 mins and good work done. Only thing is what I got is a 4 button remote but OEM was a 3 button remote, but no complaints now. The key was DENSO make, which they say is one of OEM supplier for Toyota.

Costed me 1k.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-img20180812wa0000.jpg

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-img20180812wa0001.jpg

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-img20180812wa0002.jpg

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 12th August 2018 at 14:24.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 21:26   #124
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Update

Since the addition of the Figo, the usage of the Corolla has gone down. It is used to drop my brother everyday to the bus stop which is 1.8 kms away. On weekends it is used by my dad or brother for in city runs. Although today i took it to Gokull agrotourism at bhor.

I normally service the car once an year at the authorised svc to maintain the service record. Till date the car has been going to my FNG's- The mechanix Automotive and Sai car care. Since dsk Toyota has shut down, I took the car at K Kothari Toyota in bavdhan. The experience was decent not like dsk but one incident left a sour mark. The SA called me in the noon and told me that the brake pads have no life left and they are at 0mm. I was shocked and asked him to handover the car as is, I would have preferred getting brembos from outside. Took the delivery of the car and straight away drove to the Mechanix Automotive at Aundh where the car put up on the lift immediately. On checking the pads we found more than enough thickness available. There were no indications in the 10kms that I travelled post the service too. Called the svc and spoke to the CRM. Told him that this isn't right & the SA should have been realistic with the brake pad thickness. Giving out a warning for replacement and 0mm thickness are two different things. He was courteous enough and apologised. While giving the estimate the SA did try to sell me some mechanical package for Rs. 500 but I had asked him to remove it immediately and he did without any issues. Rest the oil & filter change along with washing was done. The rear seat central lock has been ordered as it was broken. Rest of the service experience was decent.

Waiting at K Kothari Toyota Service Centre
Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-20180901_105208.jpg
Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-20180902_211648.jpg

Ready post the service-
Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-20180902_211715.jpg

The conditions of the Brake Pads-
Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-img20180902wa0022.jpg

Enroute Gokull Agrotourism
Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-img20180902wa0024.jpg
Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-img_20180902_201147_280.jpg
Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-img_20180902_201551_153.jpg
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 10:04   #125
BHPian

Fellow Corolla owners, need an input for simple ICEing my 2006 Corolla which is still running on stock 6 CD changer.

I want to gift my 2006 Corolla with a decent Head Unit, which serves the basic purposes of listening to music - as I can think below are my requirements (I am total noob on this matter)

- 2 din to fill up the space properly
- Bluetooth
- Android connecting (not sure whether without Android Auto also whether we can connect mobile using Aux or BT and use the HU for navigation)
- GPS/Navigation
- USB & Aux
- Not sure if i have missed any basic requirement

Since I am not a very enthusiastic listener I have kept my budget at ~ 10k and came across this

https://www.amazon.in/Blaupunkt-San-...d-d64bfacef288

Will this be good fit for 2006 Corolla and also will the steering controls work, as the HU feature mentions so.

Thanks in advance.

Edit - Should I be buying additional speakers once I install a new HU or stock speaker suffices

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 7th September 2018 at 10:11.
Old 7th September 2018, 11:11   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Since I am not a very enthusiastic listener I have kept my budget at ~ 10k and came across this

https://www.amazon.in/Blaupunkt-San-...d-d64bfacef288

Will this be good fit for 2006 Corolla and also will the steering controls work, as the HU feature mentions so.
I'm using the same HU on my Nissan Sunny and it serves the purpose.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4292754

Quote:
Should I be buying additional speakers once I install a new HU or stock speaker suffices
Depends on the condition of stock speakers and your requirements.
I have Kenwood HU on my Corolla and swapped the rear speaker with basic Pioneer 6x9 and converted the front woofer to Component speakers by installing the cross overs and tweeters.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 11:19   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I want to gift my 2006 Corolla with a decent Head Unit,
- 2 din to fill up the space properly
- Bluetooth
- Android connecting
- GPS/Navigation
- USB & Aux
- Not sure if i have missed any basic requirement

Will this be good fit for 2006 Corolla and also will the steering controls work,

Should I be buying additional speakers once I install a new HU or stock speaker suffices
After working on my Corollas, one Altis and a Grand Vitara, here is what I recommend

1. a GOOD FM modulator eg.DAPIC - this will take care of playing via USB/Aux - this should cost Rs.600 bucks or so.

Please don't buy the cheap Chinese ones that retail for 200 bucks as they can blow the accessories fuse and your power mirrors, AC display and stereo will stop working.

2. a standalone BT speakerphone like Jabra - this should cost you in the range of Rs.3-6k and is way way better than investing in BT in a new HU

3. a good set of component speakers for the front for say 6-8k

4. for Nav, please use a phone with Google maps . It is as good.

If you go for a HU replacement, it will be a painstaking process plus your steering controls won't work fully(like stock). Trust me, I've spent time and effort on 3 cars(mine and friends') and at the end, it isnt really worth it.

Just to give you an idea of costs for a HU change

a. HU - 10K min
b. HU Dash Fill panel(SCOSCHE 2078B or equivalent from DHC/Metra) - 1.5k
c. Steering Control interface - 3k
d. Toyota wiring harness for aftermarket stereo - 1k
e. Labour - 2k min

Last edited by vigsom : 7th September 2018 at 11:25. Reason: corrections
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 13:13   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
1. a GOOD FM modulator eg.DAPIC - this will take care of playing via USB/Aux - this should cost Rs.600 bucks or so.
VFM solution, but has it's own set of cons - Steering controls don't work, occupies the charging port / need additional charging port / 2 different devices to control (HU for volume, mute, etc, FM modulator for changing track, source, etc)

Quote:
If you go for a HU replacement, it will be a painstaking process plus your steering controls won't work fully(like stock). Trust me, I've spent time and effort on 3 cars(mine and friends') and at the end, it isnt really worth it.
My experience with few cars (Nissan Sunny, Micra, Hyundai i20, Suzuki Swift) were all positive and works like a charm. I couldn't comment on Corolla as my car doesn't have steering controls.

Quote:
a. HU - 10K min
b. HU Dash Fill panel(SCOSCHE 2078B or equivalent from DHC/Metra) - 1.5k
c. Steering Control interface - 3k
d. Toyota wiring harness for aftermarket stereo - 1k
e. Labour - 2k min
c. Not a mandatory item. Few HU + OE Steering controls work with just an adapter costing around 300 INR
d. Found one in Amazon for 400 INR
e. If HU is purchased from the installer, labor can be negotiated to zero. Or even at worst case, I paid less than 2k labor for a complete audio system installation including Amplifier, components, sub woofer, etc.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 18:39   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
I'm using the same HU on my Nissan Sunny and it serves the purpose.

Quote:
After working on my Corollas, one Altis and a Grand Vitara, here is what I recommend
Thanks much Mr.Boss and vigsom for inputs, I was not aware of the costs in addition to the HU purchase. Your posts helped me.

Today I ordered San Marino 330 from Amazon and after some discounts it costed 8,450+, feel it's a good price for the unit.

So below are the costs after speaking to a known installer -

1. HU bought from Amazon 8,450
2. Frame for Corolla - 1,200
3. Wiring harness - Approx 400
4. Installation - 450

Have to decide on speakers once I am getting the unit installed. Will update.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 18:57   #130
Senior - BHPian

My 10G Corolla 4-speed AT hasn't gone on an extended highway trip since summer, is the FE supposed to dip as low as 5.x kpl for a pure city drive? This has been consistent over the last few fill ups except for a 200 km drive that involved some highways where it went up to 7.8 for that fill up alone. Before this period, it was consistently around 8-10 kpl when there were regular highway trips.

Is this normal? Or should I get the car checked?
Old 9th October 2018, 19:16   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
My 10G Corolla 4-speed AT hasn't gone on an extended highway trip since summer, is the FE supposed to dip as low as 5.x kpl for a pure city drive? This has been consistent over the last few fill ups except for a 200 km drive that involved some highways where it went up to 7.8 for that fill up alone. Before this period, it was consistently around 8-10 kpl when there were regular highway trips. Is this normal? Or should I get the car checked?
I believe even with an AT you should get between 7-9 kmpl in city and 10-14 kmpl on the highway. Of course all this depending on the # of passengers/weight, traffic conditions and your style of driving.

Get the car checked. But before you take the car to the ASC just make sure the petrol pump isn't cheating you and filling the amount of fuel you paid for. Consider filling at another fuel station and use the tank full to tank full method. Tank full means the dispenser should auto shut off.

Last edited by R2D2 : 9th October 2018 at 19:18.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 08:32   #132
BHPian

Quote:
My 10G Corolla 4-speed AT hasn't gone on an extended highway trip since summer, is the FE supposed to dip as low as 5.x kpl for a pure city drive? This has been consistent over the last few fill ups except for a 200 km drive that involved some highways where it went up to 7.8 for that fill up alone. Before this period, it was consistently around 8-10 kpl when there were regular highway trips.

Is this normal? Or should I get the car checked?

As pointed out by R2, try changing the petrol pump. 5 is too low even for an AT.

If you're taking her out in city, sparingly, like once in 3-4 days for a short drive, then expect the FE to be that low.

If you're taking her out on highways, sparingly, then try being very gentle for the first 50 kilometres. Thereafter, you can drive with your normal style.

My point is that when the car is sparingly used, let the engine first warm up adequately for the job that it is being put to. My Altis, a manual one, is giving me an FE upwards of 15 consistently. It is now due for a service wherein I'd change the air filter and spark plugs, along with other consumables. I had not changed the air filter in between 2 services, though I clean it after every month. The electronics of this car are pretty unreliable though.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 10:13   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
But before you take the car to the ASC just make sure the petrol pump isn't cheating you and filling the amount of fuel you paid for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
As pointed out by R2, try changing the petrol pump.
Thanks for your inputs gentlemen.

The car used to do regular highway drives, its only since May the running has been city-only. I bought this car second hand at 72K last September and right now stands at 93K.

We've been filling at the same pump for 30+ years now, so am a bit surprised. This car too was filled at the same pump for during the 1 year of ownership. During the December drive, it even returned an unearthly 15.7 km/l on NH4

The last fillup yesterday returned 5.6. There is a highway drive coming up this week, will see how it improves during this drive.
Old 27th October 2018, 17:23   #134
Senior - BHPian

So car is on the 4th day at the service centre and they are still clueless . No sensor problem. Tank drained and mileage test done and still persists. They are onto the engine next. Wonder how long this is going to take.

Got an update, it is now an engine compression issue, which is 10.2:1 against 13:1 normally. Am hearing a vague estimate of 2L. Really?

Last edited by narayans80 : 27th October 2018 at 17:52.
Old 13th November 2018, 19:52   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Got an update, it is now an engine compression issue, which is 10.2:1 against 13:1 normally. Am hearing a vague estimate of 2L. Really?
10.5 : 1 is normal, I believe. What are the exact figures for all 4 cylinders? If there is an abnormal difference in the compression figures among cylinders, then you can go for overhaul.

Which parts exactly are worn out? Did they mention anything specific? You can go through - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...on-test-4.html (What is engine compression test ??) to know more.

And an estimate of 2 Lakh? You'd get a used petrol Altis in that budget

By the way, mine is returning 14-15 kilometres on highways consistently. With its Check Engine System warning light always On

Last edited by Swapnil4585 : 13th November 2018 at 19:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks