Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2018, 15:48   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Xylo E4 - 8 years and 40,000 kilometres later

When we booked the Xylo in 2009, we knew it was not the most popular choice, we knew the smarter choice would have been to shell out the extra dough for the Toyota Innova. But we had our hearts on the Xylo and this was one of those decisions that we made with our hearts and not our heads.

Mahindra Xylo E4 - 8 years and 40,000 kilometres later-quote.jpg

We had just decided to move to Mumbai and a new car was on the cards. The hunt for a replacement to our Ikon Petrol ZXI began in the middle of 2009 and we made a list of requirements for our next car.

Must have:
  • Comfortable and roomy cabin (I'm a 6 footer and everyone in my family loves space)
  • Linear power delivery.
  • All power windows.
  • Not more than 10L on the road.
  • Reliable Diesel engine - helps with the running costs. We did not want to make frequent trips to the service centre.
  • Remote locking.
  • Upright seating because dad had neck and back pain.
  • The air conditioner had to be a chiller even during Mumbai summers.
  • Relatively low maintenance costs.

Optional:
  • A decent music system.
  • Alloy wheels.
  • Digital MID.
  • Rear parking sensor/camera.

It could have been our lack of awareness at that time, but safety features such as ABS, airbags, etc. did not even make it to the optional list.

The choice

Not many cars met the requirements at that time and so, only a few were even considered, including, Toyota Innova, Chevrolet Tavera, and Tata Safari.

It has been 8 years now, and I don't remember why the others were rejected, but what I do remember is that Xylo checked off most of the requirements and most importantly we had our hearts on it. After a drive to Pune from Mumbai in a Xylo Taxi, our decision was made and we booked the Xylo, the E4 variant, in Fiery Black colour, in November 2009.

December 2009, we received the car. The experience at G3 motors was good and all formalities were taken care of in a timely manner. As a part of some promotional offer, we got an extended warranty of 4 years or 1,00,000 kilometres whichever comes first.

Mahindra Xylo E4 - 8 years and 40,000 kilometres later-newcar.jpg

Interiors
  • First Thing - SPACE! This was the major selling point for the Xylo and it does not disappoint. Whether you are driving the car or sitting in the last row, you will not complain about the space.
  • The seats are comfortable and well cushioned.
  • Xylo E4 comes with split AC. All three rows have their own vents with speed and direction control. The centre console has an AC HIGH and an AC LOW option. Air conditioning on AC LOW is adequate even during summers.
  • With all 7 seats occupied, the boot space is rather less.
  • Interior quality could have definitely been better. The plastic used is of inferior quality!
  • The design for the dashboard and console could have been better as well.

Exteriors
  • Not much can be said about the exteriors of the Xylo. The car is best described as a rectangle with curved edges. Very utilitarian design. Nothing to write about.
  • The 2009 version is the ugliest of the bunch, but improvements have been made in the later versions. I like the current version!

Performance
  • My car came with the mEagle engine. It is an absolute cracker of an engine. It is refined but has a level of brute torque that is very enjoyable.
  • Driveability is excellent and turbo lag is almost non-existent. Despite its size, the engine and the light steering make it a pleasure to drive in the city.
  • Even with 7 on board and with air conditioning on HIGH, the mEagle is powerful enough to handle anything and overtaking is a breeze.
  • At the hands of a sedate driver, Xylo does not ride like a boat.
  • The 15-inch wheels with the 215/75 R15 Bridgestone tires absorb all the bumps and undulations on the road.
  • Body roll is felt when you take high speeds into a corner.
  • Xylo does not give you a sense of speed unless you are looking at the speedometer. 100kmph in our Ertiga and 100kmph in our Xylo are two very different experiences.

We have maintained the vehicle in stock condition except for a few changes.
  • At the time of purchase, we installed Vkool sun films at quite a premium. Much to our disappointment, we later had to remove it to abide by the law.
  • Since I love travelling with my dog, we have laminated the floor. This was probably one of the best decisions we made.
  • We had installed both front and back bumper guards, but after reading several articles about the downsides of having bumper guards, we got rid of both of them.
  • Although the stock headlights are pretty good, I fixed a pair of Hella 700FFs to the Xylo, and it has made a world of difference.

Mahindra Xylo E4 - 8 years and 40,000 kilometres later-modifications.jpg

On weekdays, the car serves as a daily commuter.
When we lived in Mumbai, the vehicle was my father's daily driver and he would use it to commute 50 kilometres to and from work each day. Now, in Bangalore, the vehicle is my daily driver. 20 kilometres to and from work every day. I often get asked why I drive a 7 seater to work every day. As I mentioned in my previous post -- Xylo is a big car, but it doesn't drive like one. Honestly, it is a great city car!

On weekends, the car serves as a recreational vehicle.
I use the vehicle to get me to concerts/gigs with all my drumming equipment or drive to nearby hills or hiking spots with my dog. It is the perfect car for both these activities because, with the middle or last rows folded down, there is enough room for all my equipment and for my dog to stretch and relax after our hikes.

Cleaning
Since the day we purchased the car, we have always had a cleaner who dusts and cleans the car every day and cleans the interiors once a week. Every 3-4 months, I shampoo and wax the car and thoroughly clean the interiors. Once a year, at the time of service, I get a paid water and foam wash performed on the car.

Service
The service manual recommends servicing the car every 6 months or 10,000 kilometres. While servicing the car every 10,000 kilometres is acceptable, servicing the car every 6 months is ridiculous. I find this unacceptable. After the initial warranty period, I have serviced the car once a year and I will continue to do so because I only drive 5000-6000 kilometres a year. Time will tell if it is the right decision!

Apart from the last service at 37,500 kilometres, I have always serviced the car at Mahindra ASS. I have never had any issues with MASS and the staff has always been polite and courteous. Parts are always available and I have never had to leave the car at the service centre overnight.
Just for a change, I tried Bosch service centre for my last service, and after an okayish experience, I have decided to head back to the MASS next time around.

The cost of paid service at the MASS is 10,000 - 15,000/-

Mahindra Xylo E4 - 8 years and 40,000 kilometres later-service.jpg

The car now has 40,000 kilometres under its belt and has never given us any problems (knock on wood). We do not crunch miles like some members of the forum and since we have always had 2-3 cars in the family, the mileage gets split among them. In these 8 years, we have made several short trips and few long ones on the Xylo.

Mahindra Xylo E4 - 8 years and 40,000 kilometres later-travels.jpg

• It is a BIG car and definitely has a good road presence. Does it make motorists give way? No. But in Bangalore, motorists won't make way for a tank either.
  • I have read bad reviews about braking, but I personally haven't experienced it. Braking is good as long as you are at a reasonable speed. But it could have been better. Also, E4 does not come with ABS, and now that I have driven vehicles with ABS, I feel the difference.
  • Interior space and comfort is remarkable. Seats are firm and spacious. We chose to have captain seats in the middle row as well and that was probably one of the best decision we made. Even after a long drive, fatigue is negligible.
  • I don't have to brake for small potholes. The vehicle just glides over it.
  • Torque is phenomenal. I have never found the vehicle to run out of steam even with 7 adults on board. Quick overtakes are a breeze. The vehicle is an absolute workhorse. Steering is light at low speeds but weighs in quite nicely at highway speeds. The clutch is definitely heavy, but quite light compared to few other vehicles at its price point.
  • At reasonable speeds and for the sedate driver that I'm, I have never found body roll to be an issue. My co-travellers have never complained of body roll either. If one was to drive a Xylo, like a sedan, then I can understand why it would be an issue.
  • AC vents everywhere. Both middle and third rows have their own set of AC vents.
  • I get a fuel efficiency of 10-12 kmpl in the city and 13-15 kmpl on the highways.
Dislikes
  • Quality of interior plastics is PATHETIC. Most of my AC vents and interior lamps have cracked with time because of cheap plastics. The minute you enter the car, you know M&M has cut corners in this department. Within a year, we could hear the plastic rattling inside the car. We have learnt to live with it. Storage compartments were not well thought out either, but I hear they have been improved in the current generation Xylo.
  • With 7 people on board, luggage space is very less. The boot can only house a small-medium sized suitcase.
  • While cruising on the highways, I dearly miss the 6th gear.
  • The Xylo is definitely not a great looking vehicle. But like a bulldog or a boxer, its looks slowly grow on you.
  • The Key - It is UGLY and HUGE! What was Mahindra thinking?!

If I could go back in time, will I buy the Xylo?

For me its an easy answer, I will buy the Xylo!
  • The advantages outweigh the disadvantages by a huge margin.
  • The vehicle with its features and characteristics complements me and my lifestyle perfectly.
  • The pricing is just right.
  • The maintenance, although not cheap, is reasonable.

However, I will go with the top end fully loaded version even if it costs more. Features that we thought we didn't require or are plain unnecessary 8 years back, I dearly miss today. Some notable feature that I would have loved to have in my Xylo:
  • Safety features - (ABS, EBD, Airbags) - What were we thinking?! This was the single most stupid mistake we made. We didn't even consider safety features at the time of purchase.
  • Electric ORVM control - Xylo, is a wide car. I can't get to the manual ORVM adjusting lever on the passenger side while sitting in the driver's seat. It is a real pain!
  • Armrest - While it does not make much of a difference on my daily commute, on our long drives, I sorely miss an armrest.

I like to think that I'm wiser now than I was 8 years back. My suggestion to everyone now is if you are planning on getting a car today -- put in the extra dough, and go for the fully loaded variant. In 5-10 years, you will regret not having the features that you think are useless today.

Last edited by GTO : 24th June 2018 at 17:29. Reason: Merging all the short posts into a large one :)
Paradiddle is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2018, 18:18   #2
BHPian

re: Mahindra Xylo E4 - 8 years and 40,000 kilometres later

Please remember when you see me on one of my many adventures, stoop down and say “hello Mac”.

Mahindra Xylo E4 - 8 years and 40,000 kilometres later-mac.jpg
Paradiddle is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 17:32   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Xylo E4 - 8 years and 40,000 kilometres later

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Long-Term Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 18:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey - it is a lovely review of a car with a surprisingly capable engine. Unlimited pulling power on tap.

The one dislike I had for the old Xylo besides what you mentioned was the floor mounted gearshift, gave it a truck like feel. That seems fixed in the new one.

You might try the top end Scorpio or XUV 5OO if you’re looking for a change though.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 11:09   #5
Team-BHP Support

When I first saw the Xylo, I remember a friend comparing it to a pig. We then realised that the car doesn't look too bad if its not in that ugly green shade that we had seen it in.

Some time later, I got to drive an E8 (fully-loaded variant) from Mumbai to Kolkata and back. The road was in a mess, but the MPV impressed with its ability to take on craters. On better tarmac, the engine had more than enough power to hold its own against other MPVs. The interior space was impressive as well and even the third row was usable.

Those 9 days completely changed my opinion about the Xylo. While I kept on recommending the Innova to anyone asking my opinion, I began suggested the Xylo as an alternative. Yes, it has its flaws. It's still not good-looking and the quality of some of the materials used is below par, but as you said, the pros outweigh the cons. Reliability is good and maintenance is reasonable. These matter in most peoples' eyes.

As you said, I would go for a variant equipped with more features - at least one that is equipped with maximum safety features and alloy wheels.
Aditya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 11:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
  • The advantages outweigh the disadvantages by a huge margin.
  • The pricing is just right.
  • The maintenance, although not cheap, is reasonable.
Thanks for the lovely review!

The above quote exactly mirrors my thoughts about my Scorpio SLE after using it for 8 years. Back then, M&M had a happy knack of churning out honest, VFM & WYSIWYG vehicles, which at least IMO, they have sadly lost now.

Wish you and your Xylo many more safe and happy miles together!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 25th June 2018 at 11:25.
comfortablynumb is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 12:07   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't have to brake for small potholes. The vehicle just glides over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Some time later, I got to drive an E8 (fully-loaded variant) from Mumbai to Kolkata and back. The road was in a mess, but the MPV impressed with its ability to take on craters.
Is there a difference in ride quality between 1st gen Scorpio and Xylo? Did Mahindra tinker with the suspension?
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 09:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
However, I will go with the top end fully loaded version even if it costs more. Features that we thought we didn't require or are plain unnecessary 8 years back, I dearly miss today. Some notable feature that I would have loved to have in my Xylo:
  • Safety features - (ABS, EBD, Airbags) - What were we thinking?! This was the single most stupid mistake we made. We didn't even consider safety features at the time of purchase.
  • Electric ORVM control - Xylo, is a wide car. I can't get to the manual ORVM adjusting lever on the passenger side while sitting in the driver's seat. It is a real pain!
  • Armrest - While it does not make much of a difference on my daily commute, on our long drives, I sorely miss an armrest.

I like to think that I'm wiser now than I was 8 years back. My suggestion to everyone now is if you are planning on getting a car today -- put in the extra dough, and go for the fully loaded variant. In 5-10 years, you will regret not having the features that you think are useless today.
I fully agree with your observations and still like my Xylo for what it offers.
(I have the Xylo 2009 E8 in Gold Color).
Agree about preferring to have the safety features (ABS, Airbags), they were not on offer when I bought the car.
The E8 variant does have electrically adjustable ORVMs as well as armrest.
I actually like the external design and bought the Xylo after back-to-back test drive comparisons with Innova and Tavera - yes the decision was more with 'heart' (and 'head' agreeing). There was also a video at that time of the design lead/designers of the car at Mahindra speaking about the features and design language used, which had made an impression on me.
However on if I would buy the Xylo again if I could go back in time, my answer is NO. Have suffered enough due to the lack of boot space (with all 7 seats up), been surprised to see this "feature" continue on latter cars like XUV500. Also the thin sheet metal used is another turn-off for me now (though currently ubiquitous even in popular cars like the Baleno).
manij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 09:23   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Hey - it is a lovely review of a car with a surprisingly capable engine. Unlimited pulling power on tap.

You might try the top end Scorpio or XUV 5OO if you’re looking for a change though.
Thanks for the kind words, hserus!

We did consider selling the Xylo and looking for an upgrade a year back, but selling such a capable vehicle with less than 40,000 kilometres(at that time) on the odometer almost seemed criminal to us. In both Bangalore and Mumbai, I have seen Xylo taxis with 2,00,000+ kilometres on the odometer. We scrapped that plan and decided to put some more miles on the Xylo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
When I first saw the Xylo, I remember a friend comparing it to a pig. We then realised that the car doesn't look too bad if its not in that ugly green shade that we had seen it in.

Those 9 days completely changed my opinion about the Xylo. While I kept on recommending the Innova to anyone asking my opinion, I began suggested the Xylo as an alternative. Yes, it has its flaws. It's still not good-looking and the quality of some of the materials used is below par, but as you said, the pros outweigh the cons. Reliability is good and maintenance is reasonable. These matter in most peoples' eyes.
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the design inspiration for the first generation Xylo was in fact a pig!

The more I drive the car, the more it impresses me with its capabilities. I think a 2 kilometre test drive does not do this vehicle justice. With the increase in the cost of the Innova, I see more and more Xylos(cabs and private vehicles) on Bangalore roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Thanks for the lovely review!

The above quote exactly mirrors my thoughts about my Scorpio SLE after using it for 8 years. Back then, M&M had a happy knack of churning out honest, VFM & WYSIWYG vehicles, which at least IMO, they have sadly lost now.

Wish you and your Xylo many more safe and happy miles together!

Cheers,
Vikram
Thank you, Vikram!
Yes, the older generation M&M vehicles are pure value for money workhorses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Is there a difference in ride quality between 1st gen Scorpio and Xylo? Did Mahindra tinker with the suspension?
I really do not know. Maybe someone who has driven both vehicles can pitch in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manij View Post
I fully agree with your observations and still like my Xylo for what it offers.
(I have the Xylo 2009 E8 in Gold Color).
Agree about preferring to have the safety features (ABS, Airbags), they were not on offer when I bought the car.
The E8 variant does have electrically adjustable ORVMs as well as armrest.
I actually like the external design and bought the Xylo after back-to-back test drive comparisons with Innova and Tavera - yes the decision was more with 'heart' (and 'head' agreeing). There was also a video at that time of the design lead/designers of the car at Mahindra speaking about the features and design language used, which had made an impression on me.
However on if I would buy the Xylo again if I could go back in time, my answer is NO. Have suffered enough due to the lack of boot space (with all 7 seats up), been surprised to see this "feature" continue on latter cars like XUV500. Also the thin sheet metal used is another turn-off for me now (though currently ubiquitous even in popular cars like the Baleno).
Thanks, Manij.
Do you have the video or a link to it perhaps?
Yes, the lack of boot space is a turn-off and it is surprising that M&M have not addressed it yet. One of my friends has installed a removable roof rack, which sorted that problem.
Paradiddle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 09:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words, hserus!

We did consider selling the Xylo and looking for an upgrade a year back, but selling such a capable vehicle with less than 40,000 kilometres(at that time) on the odometer almost seemed criminal to us. In both Bangalore and Mumbai, I have seen Xylo taxis with 2,00,000+ kilometres on the odometer. We scrapped that plan and decided to put some more miles on the Xylo.
A few Aliexpress accessories might help.

An Android touchscreen HU, reverse camera, LED lights, C pillar to C pillar coverage IRVM are what I have on my Fiesta and Scorpio <- the Scorpio has its stock touchscreen of course, the Android one is for my Fiesta.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 15:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:
We did consider selling the Xylo and looking for an upgrade a year back, but selling such a capable vehicle with less than 40,000 kilometres(at that time) on the odometer almost seemed criminal to us.
You probably will not be able to get your hands on a car with that much space in the third row.
I once traveled in the third row over some unspeakable terrain in a Xylo and came out super impressed. At the end of the trip we were glad we had the car ferry us around.
Old 28th June 2018, 08:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
A few Aliexpress accessories might help.
That is a great idea, Suresh! I will look for a few good accessories that will help spice things up! Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
You probably will not be able to get your hands on a car with that much space in the third row.
I once traveled in the third row over some unspeakable terrain in a Xylo and came out super impressed. At the end of the trip we were glad we had the car ferry us around.
That is indeed true! Not at its price point at least. Xylo, is at its best with all 7 seats occupied!
Old 28th June 2018, 09:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is a great idea, Suresh! I will look for a few good accessories that will help spice things up! Thank you.

That is indeed true! Not at its price point at least. Xylo, is at its best with all 7 seats occupied!
A heavy weight at the back might help when you aren't carrying luggage. An old tyre for example.

As for Aliexpress accessories do get these -

C pillar to C pillar IRVM -

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014...027932095.html

I can't underscore just how useful this is. Along with the much wider rear view that reduces blind spots, it is Titanium coated, and this coating helps reduce glare from high beams and aux headlights fitted to vehicles behind you.

A full set of LED lights - matching the Xylo spec in section 2.4 of the manual online here (H4 high and low beam etc) https://www.withyouhamesha.com/owner...-D-SERIES.html

I've got LED lights for both my Scorpio and Fiesta from this seller on Aliexpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CNSU...7a064c4dUnlJAL

There are other items in the cnsunnylight store above for the turn signal (P21W), brake lamps (W5W) etc. If you message the seller (Sunny) with the spec sheet in section 2.4 she will provide you the required Aliexpress links you can buy from.

If you don't have a touchscreen HU or any alerts wired to the HU, and are using a basic Pioneer or other third party system, you might consider an Android HU as well. Plenty of sellers for that (search for Ownice or Xeowyn who seem to have good stuff, I have a Xeowyn OEM compatible head unit in my Fiesta). This also lets you fit a reverse camera and assuming your older / basic Xylo doesn't have it, also a TPMS that throws output to the touchscreen HU via an RCA jack. I use this one in my Fiesta.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Stee...27424c4dkuzApG

If you don't go for an Android HU, Steelmate also has other TPMS models that will project output onto a small screen on your dash, or send output to an app on your phone.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 08:56   #14
BHPian

Quote:
As for Aliexpress accessories do get these -
Some fantastic options here, Suresh!

Thanks for sharing these ideas and the link to the seller. I'm definitely going to check these out over the weekend.
Old 23rd February 2019, 14:28   #15
BHPian

The Tusker hit the 45,000 kilometres mark earlier this month. Most of the driving since the 40,000-kilometre update has been on the highway.

One long ( ~2000 kilometres ) drive and several short drives.

Video compilation of the winter drive to Tamil Nadu:
Bangalore --> Vellore --> Tiruvannamalai --> Madurai ---> Rameshawaram --> Dhanushkodi --> Kanyakumari --> Bangalore

Service due next week. No issues to report - knock on wood.

Last edited by Paradiddle : 23rd February 2019 at 14:38.
Paradiddle is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks