Senior - BHPian

OHC 1.5 EXi AT : Long Term Ownership Report UPDATE: NOW 95,000kms

Car : Honda City 1.5 Exi 4AT
Colour : Naples Gold
Year of Manufacture: October 2003
Date when bought: 1st October 2006
Kms clocked when bought: 24,226
Kms now clocked: 30,030

Its been just over 3 months since I bought my OHC. As you all know she had done around 24000 kms when I got her home. I have clocked 6000 kms from that time and so here is a report and few observations from my side on the car which I so desired to own from a long time.

Looks and Design

The OHC type 2 was the best looking of the lot of all the Citys produced so far. Though the type 1 is a great looker in itself, the crystal headlamps and tail lamps added a fine touch. IMO it looks very much like an old gen Civic but that may differ from person to person. The size of the car is just right not to big nor too small. Everything seems to be in just the right place. My uncle who owns an NHC complains about the A pillar and its tendency to obstruct vision. I dont know how many others share this opinion. No problems in the OHC whatsoever. I dont need to say much more about the exteriors as we all know what the car is all about.

Interiors

My car came with beige interiors which i think was standard among the last of the OHCs. Its much brighter compared to the black grey interiors of the rest of the lot. Lots of fake wood on the centre console and the power window control units. Adds a very classy touch. The seat uholstery in a lighter beige shade which goes for the seatbelts as well. All the controls are well within reach. The round AC blower knob feels much better than the stalk in the type one. The front centre armrest is a good place to chuck in CDs and other titibits. The rear seats have a folding arm rest as well something which is loved by the rear passengers. The instrument cluster is clean and no nonsense and its nice to see a tacho.. something I didnt see in my Zen. There is a gear indicator as well since mine is an AT. Good thinking. The seating is pretty low but since I'm a short driver I use cushions , no problems. I have heard that the rear seat is not that comfy but so far my passengers havent been complaining hence I cant comment on that. Overall very fresh and roomy interiors.

Drive and Performance

After driving a Zen for the past 5 years, the OHC feels a big jump. The driving position is just perfect for me. Start up the car and the revvs are addictive. Once you shift into D the car surges forward. The shifts are set to the optimum setting which might be for efficiency. The acceleration is very good for an AT. The OHC comes with a 4 speed auto tranny. Driving this car in the city is a joy and you have enough power to keep you happy. If you want some kicks just floor the pedal and the kick down shift does its magic. I dont really push the car and my every day driving speed is between 60 to 70 kmph. Suspension is of the softer side and has been taking bumps prett well. The power steering works well and its a dream come true after my Zen which did not have PS. The turning circle is surprisingly good for a car this size and it takes turns in small areas with a breeze. The AC chills well and so far I have never used it beyond no. 2 blower setting. I generally drive on no. 1.

I use Speed in my car but I do wish to tank up with higher octane fuel once in a while lets see how that goes. I am getting FE of 10 to 11 kpl consistantly with the AC on at all times which is good for an AT. I did a Pune trip in mid December and the overall FE I got was 15 kpl . I did not use the AC on the Expressway.

The car is running on stock Bridgestone S322s 13" rims. The tyres are pretty noisy at times but I plan to see out the tyres till the end of their life say around 40k kms. Will go for alloy upgrade and new tyres then. I plonked in a K&N stock replacement filter the next day I got the car home. Nothing has been done on ICE as yet. Right now using the Pioneer 4650 unit shifted over from the Zen with the Honda Clarion speakers. That should suffice for the time being. Speaker upgrade soon. I got a new no. plate something which is not seen in the pictures here.

Summary

I have pretty much covered all the points in the report which I had to mention. The OHC is a great car and as I mentioned in my earlier write up, it has brought back the joy of driving for me. Its a treat on the open road and nimble in city traffic at the same time. It has enough power for those short sprints unless you really wanna go and mod all the way. The servicing is not really expensive and I got regular service done in October which cost me just 1900/- rupees. The service at 30k kms is due next week. I hear that the service at 40k kms is a major one.To sum it all up its a great car to own and driving. Keeping it in shape will ensure many years of happy motoring. And its a Honda after all.

I hope this review is of help to all aspiring OHC owners

Dippy
Dippy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2007, 16:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey Dippy, great review! I can see that you're enjoying the experience, wish you many more kms of Happy Motoring!!! Have a blast!!!
Old 29th January 2007, 11:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Very nice review @Dippy. Car looks very well maintained too.
What speeds did you do during your Pune drive ? 15kmpl is pretty impressive.
Old 29th January 2007, 11:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Didnt rip it was at a constant 100 to 120 kmph.
Old 29th January 2007, 12:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

good car.
Dippy, just a suggestion. since you are so much in love, why not change the number plates. they look old & damaged.
Old 29th January 2007, 12:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

No. plates are already changed EL. These pics were taken before that. Changed the plates a few days after I bought it
Old 29th January 2007, 14:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

great. now for a more expensive suggestion. change to alloys when you have the budget. your car desparately needs that. or have you done that already ???
Old 29th January 2007, 14:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

EL

nope havent done that yet. Since the car had done 24k kms only when i bought it, the tyres are in pretty good shape. Once I complete around 40k kms , i'll upgrade to alloys and get new rubber. I'm waiting to see how black rims look on a golden City.. aka Viper
Old 29th January 2007, 15:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
The OHC type 2 was the best looking of the lot of all the Citys produced so far.
OHC still looks great. look at it when parked with other "Modern" cars. Classic!.

Quote:
Drive and Performance
Need anyone say?.

Quote:
And its a Honda after all.
Dippy
True.

The only issue I had was the low floor - speed breakers! and getting in/out. especially when you are getting old.
Old 4th February 2007, 22:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Is seating position comfortable in OHC? Problem is thighs not gettting planted on the seats with knees standing upright. Noticable on longer drives (especially while in passenger seats)
Old 25th April 2007, 13:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

An update at 34,000 kms.

Its been six months now since I bought my OHC AT . Have done a total of two services since I got the car and the bills came to 1900 and 2500 respectively. Car is serviced at Linkway Honda Mumbai and I have made it a point to keep a record of all services. I had bought the car at 24,000 kms and the odo has now crossed 34,000. The 35k service is due next month and amongst other things the brake pads are due for a change. I have been driving the car very lovingly and it has never crossed the 55/60 kph mark in my everyday driving. FE has been the same between 10.5 to 11 kpl with full AC at all times.

During this period I encountered a total of three punctures wherein I had to replace the tubes. Tyres are in good shape and I will be seeing off the monsoon on them . Alloys and new tubeless rubber should follow then. I dont want to ruin new alloys on the potholed Mumbai roads.

I'm not doing any mods but I plan to fit the tail pipes of the OHC Vtec onto my car. No performance gains but it looks great.

Next update in due course of time

Last edited by Dippy : 11th April 2009 at 19:12.
Old 25th April 2007, 16:03   #12
BHPian

hey dippy,

a set of fogs will change the overall look....what say?
also i remember that u were planning/trying to put those indica fogs, what hapened?

do u mean just the tail pipe end or the whole assembly?
Old 25th April 2007, 17:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakaaaaasss View Post

do u mean just the tail pipe end or the whole assembly?
Just the tail pipe assembly
Old 25th April 2007, 17:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Dippy, nice & crisp update. You are taking real good care of her, keep up the TLC
Old 25th April 2007, 17:21   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Shes treating you just as expected. I stopped giving the car to Linkway very recently and now perform the services by myself. Its pretty basic maintainence. You might want to consider that as, for the same price, you can include Mobil 1.

Quote:
I'm not doing any mods but I plan to fit the tail pipes of the OHC Vtec onto my car.
Damn, you better call me soon as I have a spare muffler.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks