Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2010, 03:42   #61
BHPian

Had the 50,000 kms service done recently. The bill for the service and repairs came to about INR 15,000. The car is doing reasonably well. Some problem with the AC cooling that they have not sorted out completely.
Old 14th February 2010, 11:32   #62
Team-BHP Support

Murugan, what all were replaced at the 50,000kms service? Were there any problems going in for service?
Old 14th February 2010, 12:21   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Had the 50,000 kms service done recently. The bill for the service and repairs came to about INR 15,000. The car is doing reasonably well. Some problem with the AC cooling that they have not sorted out completely.
15 K is a steep amount for a 50 K service on a B+ segment petrol car. Curious to know the breakup.
Old 21st June 2010, 15:52   #64

Hi,

I own a October 2002 Santro 1.1 L, which has done 174000 Kms. Now I have been told by the Service Advisor of an authorised Hyudai Service Centre in Mumbai that there is a play in bearing of Crank Shaft for which complete engine overhauling is required. Apart from this I never had any major breakdowns with my car except normal wear and tear of parts as per their expected life so that is fine but now this overhauling estimate is given as Rs 60k which is very high but my query is if I go for this action, would it be a good deal to retain this car or will there be a problems after enigine overhaluling also.

Cheers,

Amrit
Old 21st June 2010, 16:05   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrit_p2
I own a October 2002 Santro 1.1 L, which has done 174000 Kms.
You did 1.74 lakh kms in less than 8 years ? Or is that a typo and should have read 17400kms ?
Old 21st June 2010, 18:59   #66
BHPian

I have a Santro Xing XS which was purchased in May 2004. A very capable car. Apart from regular service every 10k kms, nothing major work is required so far. It completed 95k kms yesterday. First set of tyres was replaced at 52k kms, battery 75k kms and brake shoes at 80k kms. Everything else is fine and strong. FE is impressive at around 16-17 kmpl. Overall a nice car with good service support.
Old 13th March 2013, 10:10   #67
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Santro Xing - Crankshaft & engine repair/ failure-only 26000 Kms & 2 1/2y

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrit_p2 View Post
Hi,

I own a October 2002 Santro 1.1 L, which has done 174000 Kms. Now I have been told by the Service Advisor of an authorised Hyudai Service Centre in Mumbai that there is a play in bearing of Crank Shaft for which complete engine overhauling is required. Apart from this I never had any major breakdowns with my car except normal wear and tear of parts as per their expected life so that is fine but now this overhauling estimate is given as Rs 60k which is very high but my query is if I go for this action, would it be a good deal to retain this car or will there be a problems after enigine overhaluling also.

Cheers,

Amrit
I can see this has thread has been dormant for some time. But I too have a March 2002 Santro 1.0L that has been diagnosed with crankshaft play. There is that rhythmic whirring sound when the car is in motion (even if you're in neutral) but none when revving or idling when stationary. The car has done 115000km. But Hyundai service in Kochi quoted 25k for remedial action, largely for labour as this involves a lot of work as per them. Is this the kinda work that we can trust a neighbourhood mechanic with?
Old 1st July 2015, 20:29   #68
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Santro Xing - Crankshaft & engine repair/ failure-only 26000 Kms & 2 1/2years

Few months back, I bought a Santro Xing 2005 model from my colleague. He had used it for a year (even he bought it 2nd hand). After taking the ownership, I found that the mileage was pretty good (13-14kmpl in city and 16-17 kmpl on highways). But the car had two issues:
1. Pickup - the car used to struggle a lot while overtaking a vehicle. Also, it used to struggle when going uphill or a slope. Pressing the accelerator never helped in such a case.
2. Clutch - The clutch used to give jerks. The tension of clutch pedal was uneven, and once you press it half way, it used to loose all the tension and thus the car would give jerks when releasing the clutch.

So, I got to couple of local mechanics, and they told that I'd need to change the clutch plates to get rid of this jerking. I was also told that replacing the clutch plates would also improve the mileage and the pickup.

I replaced the clutch plates, but somehow the pickup issue isn't solved. But there's more. Since I replaced the clutch plates, the mileage suddenly dropped. Now it's giving around 10kmpl in city (without AC) and around 13 kmpl on highways.

Approaching the same mechanic, I was told that I'd need to clean the injectors and it would cost Rs. 2000! I checked online, and thought that the guy was trying to rob. So, after some days I went to HASS near my house.

The service representative at HASS was at first suspicious about the clutch, but I insisted him to do engine tuning first, and check for the injectors, as the clutch was replaced like 400-500 km ago, and I never faced any issues with the clutch.
Just after 2-3 hours I got a call from him, that my crankshaft has gone! And the total repairs would be around 30K!

I just told him to return the car as it was, and went over there to collect it. But I am doubtful that there's a crankshaft issue. Here's why I think that:
A- He concluded it to be a crankshaft issue in just 2 hours. IMO, inspecting a crankshaft needs more time. Also, why would he open the engine to see crankshaft, when the job is to tune the engine and check injectors? Moreover, he wasn't able to tell me exactly what does he mean by "crankshaft is gone". After asking specifically, he told that it's worn out. How bad? Not sure. How much longer will it last? No idea. I think that the car is a 2005 model, and he blamed the crankshaft based on past records. The car has more than 150000 KM on the odo, and if it were the crankshaft issue, it would have failed long ago.

B- If I rev up the engine before climbing a slope, the car climbs the slope without any hassle. So, I was feeling it could be the problem with the fuel filter, as it wasn't changed in the recent servicing.

Now I'm stuck. If I go to local mechanic and tell him the problem, they'll all be ready to rob me, because me myself is telling them about crankshaft!

Any guesses here? What might be the issue?
Old 2nd July 2015, 12:22   #69
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Santro Xing - Crankshaft & engine repair/ failure-only 26000 Kms & 2 1/2years

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
Few months back, I bought a Santro Xing 2005 model from my colleague. He had used it for a year (even he bought it 2nd hand). After taking the ownership, I found that the mileage was pretty good (13-14kmpl in city and 16-17 kmpl on highways). But the car had two issues:
1. Pickup - the car used to struggle a lot while overtaking a vehicle. Also, it used to struggle when going uphill or a slope. Pressing the accelerator never helped in such a case.
2. Clutch - The clutch used to give jerks. The tension of clutch pedal was uneven, and once you press it half way, it used to loose all the tension and thus the car would give jerks when releasing the clutch.

So, I got to couple of local mechanics, and they told that I'd need to change the clutch plates to get rid of this jerking. I was also told that replacing the clutch plates would also improve the mileage and the pickup.

I replaced the clutch plates, but somehow the pickup issue isn't solved. But there's more. Since I replaced the clutch plates, the mileage suddenly dropped. Now it's giving around 10kmpl in city (without AC) and around 13 kmpl on highways.

Approaching the same mechanic, I was told that I'd need to clean the injectors and it would cost Rs. 2000! I checked online, and thought that the guy was trying to rob. So, after some days I went to HASS near my house.

The service representative at HASS was at first suspicious about the clutch, but I insisted him to do engine tuning first, and check for the injectors, as the clutch was replaced like 400-500 km ago, and I never faced any issues with the clutch.
Just after 2-3 hours I got a call from him, that my crankshaft has gone! And the total repairs would be around 30K!

I just told him to return the car as it was, and went over there to collect it. But I am doubtful that there's a crankshaft issue. Here's why I think that:
A- He concluded it to be a crankshaft issue in just 2 hours. IMO, inspecting a crankshaft needs more time. Also, why would he open the engine to see crankshaft, when the job is to tune the engine and check injectors? Moreover, he wasn't able to tell me exactly what does he mean by "crankshaft is gone". After asking specifically, he told that it's worn out. How bad? Not sure. How much longer will it last? No idea. I think that the car is a 2005 model, and he blamed the crankshaft based on past records. The car has more than 150000 KM on the odo, and if it were the crankshaft issue, it would have failed long ago.

B- If I rev up the engine before climbing a slope, the car climbs the slope without any hassle. So, I was feeling it could be the problem with the fuel filter, as it wasn't changed in the recent servicing.

Now I'm stuck. If I go to local mechanic and tell him the problem, they'll all be ready to rob me, because me myself is telling them about crankshaft!

Any guesses here? What might be the issue?
Let me start by saying that, I'm sorry to hear that you're having to face so much of trouble.

Please understand what does "Crankshaft failiure" mean!! Honestly, there is nothing called as a crankshaft failiure! We have seizure's, where the crankshaft can't rotate the way it should normally! Or the clearance between the crankshaft journal and the bearings increase, thereby giving you a weird sound and wearing out the journals/bearings further till it destroys the bearing/journal totally and finally it seize's!!

The crankshaft which is attached to the gear box, flywheel/clutch and the crank pulley, all combined moves the con rods attached to the pistons and gives you that up down movement.

The crankshaft rests on something called as "bearings" (thin sheets of soft metal) and after pro longed use/abuse, the bearings wear out and then the crank starts brushing against bare metal (crank holder/girdle), this damages/scores the crank but that doesn't mean it fails! Generally, depending upon the wear and tear, a machine shop will be able to buff/grind it to spec and use new bearings! Not a very costly affair, but this will require you to dissasemble/assemble the full engine!

So, now coming back to your problem, please let us know the following

1. On a cold start, do you hear, low frequency metallic sounds?
2. Any "uncommon" sound from the engine, while suddenly accelerating/decelerating
3. Check the compression (please share the readings), pref. at cold
4. Sudden gain/loss of power?
5. Erratic idle?

1.5L is not a lot of km's but, if the engine hasn't been serviced properly, or it has been serviced by 5star mechs (pun intended) then there is a possibility that its damaged, meaning, loosing power via compression loss or the bottom (crank) being damaged due to wearing out of the bearings!

Just thought about it now, why dont you share a small video of you starting up the car (1st start ) in the morning. Have someone else start it for you while you hold the recording device close to the engine and move it slowly under the bumper near the oil sump!!

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 2nd July 2015 at 12:35.
ssjr0498 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 12:33   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Let me start by saying that, I'm sorry to hear that you're having to face so much of trouble.

Please understand what does "Crankshaft failiure" mean!! Honestly, there is nothing called as a crankshaft failiure! We have seizure's, where the crankshaft can't rotate the way it should normally! It's the crankshaft which is attached to the gear box, flywheel/clutch and the crank pulley, all combined move the con rods attached to the pistons and gives you that up down movement.

The crankshaft rests on something called as "bearings" (thin sheets of soft metal) and after pro longed use/abuse, the bearings wear out and then the crank starts brushing against bare metal (crank holder/girdle), this damages/scores the crank but that doesn't mean it fails!

So, now coming back to your problem, please let us know the following

1. On a cold start, do you hear, low frequency metallic sounds?
2. Any "uncommon" sound from the engine, while suddenly accelerating/decelerating
3. Check the compression (please share the readings), pref. at cold
4. Sudden gain/loss of power?
5. Erratic idle?

1.5L is not a lot of km's but, if the engine hasn't been serviced properly, or it has been serviced by 5star mechs (pun intended) then there is a possibility that its damaged, meaning, loosing power via compression loss or the bottom (crank) being damaged due to wearing out of the bearings!
Answers:
1. Nope. No unusual sounds from the engine on cold/hot start.
2. No uncommon sounds from engine while accelerating. Sounds like a normal car would.
3. I suppose I'll have to go to the mechanic to check compression. Let me know if there's any other way.
4. Yes. There is a sudden loss of power. That was the reason I went to HASS. Usually, if the car is loaded with 4 people, it struggles to go in higher gears (4th and 5th), does not accelerate quickly. Also, if the initial speed is low on any slopes (such as 2nd level parking of my office), it struggles in 2nd gear. I must switch it to 1st gear. If I turn the AC ON, the problem worsens.
5. While idle, the car gives minute jerks. Noticeable only if keep hands on the steering wheel. Vibrations/jerks go away after revving or driving.
Old 2nd July 2015, 12:53   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Answers:
1. Nope. No unusual sounds from the engine on cold/hot start.
2. No uncommon sounds from engine while accelerating. Sounds like a normal car would.
3. I suppose I'll have to go to the mechanic to check compression. Let me know if there's any other way.
4. Yes. There is a sudden loss of power. That was the reason I went to HASS. Usually, if the car is loaded with 4 people, it struggles to go in higher gears (4th and 5th), does not accelerate quickly. Also, if the initial speed is low on any slopes (such as 2nd level parking of my office), it struggles in 2nd gear. I must switch it to 1st gear. If I turn the AC ON, the problem worsens.
5. While idle, the car gives minute jerks. Noticeable only if keep hands on the steering wheel. Vibrations/jerks go away after revving or driving.
Share the video if possible, very difficult to diagnose the issue remotely!
Old 2nd July 2015, 13:48   #72
BHPian

Thank you ssjr0498!

I'll try to explain this issue. May be this helps a bit in understanding the problem:
1. Struggle on the slopes:
There's a slope just outside my society, which has a speedbreaker before it. I start my car, and leave the society in 2nd gear.
As I approach the slope, I have to slow down because of the speedbreaker. So, while climbing the slope, my speed is low, and I'm in 2nd gear.
Now, the car struggles to climb the slope in 2nd gear. I must shift down to 1st gear to climb it.

If I revv the engine up before I climb the slope, the car easily climbs the slope in 2nd gear.
Or, if I don't slow down on the speedbreaker, and just climb with 15-20kmph speed in 2nd gear, there's no issue. No need to shift down to 1st.

2. Struggling when loaded with 4 persons:
If the car is loaded with 4 people (including the driver), usually it struggles to accelerate. Situation becomse worse when the AC is ON.
In such a case, I have to stretch the car in each gear, and be in 4th gear for considerable amount of time to shift to 5th gear.

3. Struggling when overtaking a vehicle:
Same happens when overtaking a vehicle on highway. I know that it's not always possible to overtake in 5th gear.
But downshifting to 4th gear also never helps. So again downshift to 3rd gear, and press the accelerator harder - nothing happens.
On waiting for 2-3 seconds, the car suddenly jumps as if it has gained a life and then overtakes.

So, in short, when the engine is revved up, there are no issues. So, this made me think that the issue might be with fuel filter.
May be the fuel filter is clogged, and when the RPM is low, the fuel pump is not able to get enough petrol for the engine.
Once the RPM increases, the fuel pump is able to suck more fuel and its' coming to life.

Again, this is my guess. May be there could be another issue.
Of course, there are many experts on Team-BHP. I hope someone will be able to guide me here!
Old 29th July 2015, 10:39   #73
BHPian

Last week, I did take my car for a long trip (~500 KM), and found that the mileage is back to ~17KMPL. I feel it's more than enough as the road was full of hills and I had to drive in 2nd and 3rd gear for long.

Also, since the day I took my car back from HASS, I found that the problem with sluggish pickup has improved a little (note: A little). I got decent speed/pickup during the tour, but of course, couple of times the problem was prominent - I had to down shift to 1st gear to keep my car moving.

I may be wrong, but I feel while refitting the timing belt, may be they've made some adjustments and because of that the problem with sluggishness has gone?
Old 29th July 2015, 15:56   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Last week, I did take my car for a long trip (~500 KM), and found that the mileage is back to ~17KMPL. I feel it's more than enough as the road was full of hills and I had to drive in 2nd and 3rd gear for long.

Also, since the day I took my car back from HASS, I found that the problem with sluggish pickup has improved a little (note: A little). I got decent speed/pickup during the tour, but of course, couple of times the problem was prominent - I had to down shift to 1st gear to keep my car moving.

I may be wrong, but I feel while refitting the timing belt, may be they've made some adjustments and because of that the problem with sluggishness has gone?
That's good news!

Timing plays a very critical part in the performance of our IC engine's!

It is possible that your dizzy,cam timing was off! Which was adjusted while doing the belt replacement! Hence the performance improvement!
Old 30th July 2015, 15:08   #75
BHPian

Sir, I would recommend using System G for 3-4 tankfulls as it may help ease of any clogged injectors and might solve your jerking issue. Besides, its cheap and easy.

My recommendation is based on my use of system D in my tata indica dls done 127000 kms which had similar symptoms of jerking, particularly with ac on. The use of System D solved the issue to almost 95%.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks