Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2007, 23:55   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Santro Xing - Crankshaft & engine repair/ failure-only 26000 Kms & 2 1/2years

2 days back, on April 25, 2007 my Hyundai Santro Xing suddenly stopped in the middle of the road. On towing to KUN Hyundai in Mount road, Chennai I was told that the crankshaft has failed. Today I was told that parts of the engine have also failed. My car was purchased in November 2004 and has done only about 26,000 Kms, has had regular services, the last one just 2 weeks ago. They say the repair will be very expensive and can return the car only after another 7 days.
I read about a similar complaint about a Santro purchased in November 2004; the link is below -
Complaints Board | Hyundai Santro Xing
(Posted: 2006-12-05 by Thomsson A Jobin
Crankshaft of my Santro Xing 2004 model is defective
Complaint Rating:
I purchased a Santro xing from Hyundai from a Kerala dealer of Hyundai India. The product did just 28000 kms and its crankshaft failed in just less than two years time and shockingly the company is not acknowledging this fact. I request all Santro Owners who purchased their cars around November 2004 to check their vehicle. I have raised the issue with company and am looking forward to their response on this issue and have not received any response till date.)
I am very surprised that the crankshaft and engine have failed so early. The car was purchased from MPL Hyundai and since they have shut down it is being serviced regularly at KUN Hyundai Chennai; good fuel from popular petrol bunks is used; it is driven sedately in the city of Chennai only. Would like to hear from others with similar problems.
My email id is DrLMurugan@yahoo.com
Murugan

Last edited by adya33 : 28th April 2007 at 08:46. Reason: Avoid using [FONT] [COLOR] tags
Old 28th April 2007, 00:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

I am not a technical guy wrt to the automobile field so cant be of much help,but heres another link,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...n-40k-kms.html

PS: you could also pm supremebaleno and get more details
Old 28th April 2007, 12:40   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thats extremely surprising, and for a modern engine to fail within 30K isnt really heard of. Just the fact that there is atleast one more person who has faced this problem shows that a particular batch of cars could be defective.

Have you serviced your car only at the Hyundai authorised service station? If so, take it up with them and Hyundai. Presuming that you havent opted for extended warranty, they may do something out of a goodwill gesture.

If you are keen (and patient enough) on a legal fight, here is a thread that will help you : linky

Last edited by GTO : 28th April 2007 at 12:42.
Old 28th April 2007, 15:35   #4
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Were you having any sort of problems with the car before this crankshaft failure ?
Old 28th April 2007, 17:26   #5
BHPian

There is no way the engine should have failed that quickly. 26k is really no mileage for that to happen if the car was given proper service and was in good health.

I kno for a fact that I abuse my Xing's engine way more than most people. But there are no signs of any damages like you stated. I kno cause I had the whole engine checked due to a recent accident.

I'm guessing GTO's right that you ended up with a lemon.
Old 29th April 2007, 22:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thats extremely surprising, and for a modern engine to fail within 30K isnt really heard of. Just the fact that there is atleast one more person who has faced this problem shows that a particular batch of cars could be defective.

Have you serviced your car only at the Hyundai authorised service station? If so, take it up with them and Hyundai. Presuming that you havent opted for extended warranty, they may do something out of a goodwill gesture.

If you are keen (and patient enough) on a legal fight, here is a thread that will help you : linky
The car was purchased at MPL Hyundai, Chennai in November 2004 and subsequent services were regularly done there as per schedule. Later the MPL Hyundai service center shut down (a new Ford service center is there now) and on their suggestion all services were regularly done at KUN Hyundai, Mount road, Chennai. As I have already mentioned, the last service before the crankshaft and engine failure was done just 2 weeks earlier.
Old 29th April 2007, 22:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Were you having any sort of problems with the car before this crankshaft failure ?
The car was relatively ok till January 2007. There was some minor rattling which was identified after 3 complaints/ repairs (over a period of about 6 months) and 2 weeks back identified as from the heater element and it was settled. I was very happy that the rattling issue was finally settled.

Following the January 2007 service the mileage suddenly dropped from 12 Kmpl (with the AC always on in Chennai city traffic) to 8 Kmpl. This was brought to the notice of KUN Hyundai service engineer Mr.Raja (98404287700) and recorded in their complaint sheet but they could not identify the problem. Now Mr.Balaji (9840428764) of KUN Hyundai says the repairs will cost more than Rs.35,000 which is more than 10% of a new car. Shocking!
Old 30th April 2007, 16:14   #8
BHPian

This is very shocking. Even i have a November 2004 Santro which has done 23k. I am really worried now. Can any members tell me how to check wether Crankshaft is ok. Also any other checks that i should get done to the car.
Old 30th April 2007, 17:30   #9
aZa
Senior - BHPian

I have Jan 2005 Santro! My car has clocked around 45K and i have no such issues!

Murugan do you have Extend warranty ?
Old 2nd May 2007, 22:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
I have Jan 2005 Santro! My car has clocked around 45K and i have no such issues!

Murugan do you have Extend warranty ?
No, I do not have extended warranty.

Let me digress. I used to take extended warranty for all my vehicles and used to be the butt of jokes of my relatives and friends who never did this since none of them had any problems with the engines even upto 2 lakh plus kilometers in the case of a Mahindra Scorpio; none of my cars have also had any major problem and the extended warranty did not serve any purpose. I am aware that extended warranty does not cost much, it is like any other insurance to cover a remote possibility of failure and one should only feel happy if one does not need to use it and it covers several parts besides the engine. This time when I discussed with my service engineer (No, I am not blaming him for what he said; it was purely my decision and only I am responsible for not taking the extended warranty) he said that Santro engines will not fail for more than 1 lakh kilometers and so it is not really necessary to take it. I usually sell my vehicles around the 4 year, 60,000 mark to avoid the hassles of potential repairs and the inevitable rattles; so this one time I gave the extended warranty a miss (and am paying the price for it).

Having said that, even if I had taken the extended warranty I do not know whether the current repairs would have been covered. Also what about after the extended warranty period, which is for 2 years for Hyundai Santro - are the modern petrol car engines not meant to last more than a lakh or two kilometers and more than four years - is it permissible for an engine to fail beyond the extended warranty period if it has not run atleast one lakh kilometers; even the 1970's Fiat and Ambassador engines never used to give trouble for close to 75,000 to 1 lakh kilometers!

I am absoluely shocked that my Santro engine has failed so early, just 26,000 kms and 2 1/2 years. I bought this car in November 2004 after reading reviews on the net, various auto and car magazines and talking to relatives and friends who had this car. None of the reviews in November 2004 or my circle of contacts who had the Santro had faced such problems.

May be the November 2004 batch or this particular car engine has some manufacturing defect; I am waiting for the company's response and replies from other BHPians on their opinion on the expected life of modern petrol engines and suggestions on how much I can expect Hyundai to cover the engine repair costs.
Old 3rd May 2007, 10:11   #11
Team-BHP Support

normal gasoline engines run anything between 80k kms to 250k kms depending on the abuse.

i think you should wait for the company to respond and if this is a known issue then you should be able to get off with a minimal bill.
Old 7th May 2007, 22:33   #12
BHPian

Crankshaft problem at 36k kms - Vijay

Here is a message I got on my email.

On 5/7/07, Vijay wrote:
Hi Murugan,

I read your review on Mouth Shut. I had a ditto problem! Crank Shaft broke after only 36,000 Kms. Mine is a 2002 model though. Did you have to shell out the 35K or did your warranty cover it? Did you get any answers from the company? Any respite? I am in B'lore and I fear the dealer is taking us for a ride. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vijay

Review on Hyundai Santro Xing by MuruganL - MouthShut.com

In reply:

I am still waiting for the repair to be completed.
Murugan
Old 9th May 2007, 22:09   #13
BHPian

5th Complaint on Santro Crankshaft failure

Here is the 5th complaint on premature failure of Santro Xing crankshaft

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

[COLOR=#810081]http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/hyundai-santro-xing-c2582.html[/COLOR]

It's true i also purchased santro xing xo model in dec, 04 and just recently in jan, 07, Hyundai has replaced the crankshaft motor, dynamo and the catalytic converter. I have done just 23560 km so friend lets together take the issue to Hyundai itself. The repairs cost me 16700 even when the car was under extended warranty.

Contact me at - [COLOR=#0000ff]anmol_1990@yahoo.co.in[/COLOR]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Update on my car - May 09, 2007 (Murugan)

After 2 weeks, KUN Hyundai, Chennai has still not delivered my Santro Xing. When I spoke to them today, I was told that the crankshaft, camshaft etc have been repaired but when the engine came back after machining they found that it had not been done correctly (terrible) and so they have to do it again which translates into more delays. I wonder why Hyundai service is so pathetic.

Murugan
Old 12th May 2007, 03:41   #14
BHPian

> 2 weeks and repairs not completed - Hyundai Santro Xing

It is more than 2 weeks since my Hyundai Santro Xing was submitted to KUN Hyundai, Chennai for major engine repairs. The car has still not been delivered. I am attaching a copy of the complaint I have sent to Customer Care, Hyundai cr@hmil.net

I request my fellow BHPians to advice on what further action I can take to ensure early delivery of my car.

Murugan

Dear Sir,

I have written to you earlier; since there has been no response from you I am writing again.

On April 25, 2007 my two and a half year old Hyundai Santro Xing TN 02 T **** (number withheld on the forum by me - Murugan) with a odometer reading of just over 26,000 kilometers suddenly stopped in the middle of the road. On towing to KUN Hyundai in Mount road, Chennai (Madras), India I was told that the crankshaft has failed and needs to be replaced. Few days later I was told that several other parts of the engine have also failed.

My Hyundai Santro (also known as Hyunda Amica and Hyundai Atos Atoz in some countries - the car is exported in large numbers from India) was purchased in November 2004 from MPL Hyundai, Chennai and has had regular services at authorised service centers (MPL Hyundai and KUN Hyundai, both in Chennai), the last one just 2 weeks before the breakdown.

Mr.Balaji (Mobile no: 9840428764) of KUN Hyundai said that the repairs will be very expensive (more than Rs.35,000, which is more than 10% of the car's on-road price) and can return the car only after 10 days. Apparently the spares are not available in Chennai and the engine also needs machining. On 5th May, Saturday 2005 he informed me that spare parts are still not available and the repair will take more time. Today 9 th May 2007, more than 2 weeks after submitting my car, he tells me that the crankshaft, camshaft etc have been repaired but when the engine came back after machining from their workshop they found that it had not been done correctly (I can't understand why) and so they have to do it again which translates into more delays in delivering my car. No time frame has been set as to when my car will be delivered. Is this dealer experimenting with my car?

I am very surprised that the crankshaft, camshaft and other parts of the engine of my car have failed so early. 21st century petrol car engines are designed/ manufactured to last more than 1 to 2 lakh kilometers without any major repair; I am shocked with my bad experience.

I bought this car in November 2004 after reading several reviews, user opinions and road tests on the internet, various auto and car magazines and talking to relatives and friends who had this car. Not one review or road test in November 2004 or my circle of contacts who had the Santro had faced such problems. May be the November 2004 batch or this particular car engine has some manufacturing defect.

The problem is discussed on these forums:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-1-2years.html

http://www.*************/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1487

I read about similar complaints about Santros purchased in November - December 2004; the link is below -

Complaints Board | Hyundai Santro Xing

Here is one of them:

Posted: 2006-12-05 by Thomsson A Jobin Crankshaft of my Santro Xing 2004 model is defective
I purchased a Santro xing from Hyundai from a Kerala dealer of Hyundai India. The product did just 28000 kms and its crankshaft failed in just less than two years time and shockingly the company is not acknowledging this fact. I request all Santro Owners who purchased their cars around November 2004 to check their vehicle. I have raised the issue with company and am looking forward to their response on this issue and have not received any response till date.

One more at the same website:

It's true i also purchased santro xing xo model in dec, 04 and just recently in jan, 07, Hyundai has replaced the crankshaft motor, dynamo and the catalytic converter. I have done just 23560 km so friend lets together take the issue to Hyundai itself. The repairs cost me 16700 even when the car was under extended warranty. Contact me at - anmol_1990@yahoo.co.in
Sales manager, Hewlett-Packard company, Gurgaon

Here is a similar complaint I received on email:

On 5/7/07, Vijay <vijayap@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Murugan,
I read your review on Mouth Shut.
http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Hyundai_Santro-124539-1.html
I had a ditto problem! Crank Shaft broke after only 36,000 Kms. Mine is a 2002 model though. Did you have to shell out the 35K or did your warranty cover it? Did you get any answers from the company? Any respite? I am in B'lore and I fear the dealer is taking us for a ride. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Vijay

Here is another complaint made on 4th Jan 2007:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post348034

Santro engine overhaul at less than 40K kms !!!
My colleagues Santro is 4.5 years old and done around 38000 kms. Recently he noticed some issues with the car like dark smoke from exhaust and heavy vibration of the car when in 3rd and 4th gears. When brought to the notice of the Hyundai service centre, they said that the engine needs to be overhauled.
Estimate given was 25K for labour and if parts to be changed it could be another 10K or more. My doubts :
1. Why would a petrol engine need to be overhauled at 38K kms ? We know of cars that easily run a lakh kms and more without needing any overhaul.
2. Is the estimated cost looking OK ?
3. Any other Santro owners have faced this issue ?
I have asked him to take it to Electra Hyundai to get a second opinion.

I request the help of the senior management of Hyundai to sort out the problem. My mobile number is 9884100910 and my email id DrLMurugan@yahoo.com

A very disappointed Hyundai customer,

Murugan

Old 12th May 2007, 11:18   #15
BHPian

For those of you who had crankshaft failures in your car.

Do you ever start your vehicle when your AC is switched on ? This is known as one of the reasons for crankshaft failures.

Usually happens if you forget to turn off your AC after stopping your vehicle, before starting it you got to make sure the AC is switched off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks