Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2008, 09:28   #91
Senior - BHPian

Amit the car has been starting up well & no signs of battery showing age after that so far.
The car has done 38xxx kms will get all the pending things checked & fixed at the big service at 40k.
Old 15th October 2008, 16:28   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

2. This is about decarbonisation. I understand you did it at about 25k. After the procedure, was there any noticeable difference in engine performance? I mean, after each service, the car as it is feels better. After the decarb work, was it even more pronounced? And finally, is it done at all the authorized service centers?

I was suggested the Carbon cleaning after 14000 and the guy told me benefits etc. So I opted for it but as such could not find any improvement.

I have posted my average chart here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1008653

Look at the Sept-07 entries where I have marked carbon cleaning. Although in next 2-3 fillings there is more average but I don't think it is because of carbon cleaning. I have got similar average previously also and there were long distance trips after this cleaning.

-Sanju
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:58   #93
Senior - BHPian

35K Service update

Latest update:
ODO reads 35140 when I reached Surakshaa for 35K service yesterday.

Lokesh knew that I will be coming yesterday after office at 2pm, hence he already allocated the serive bay for my car at that time. As always Lokesh took it for test drive and was pretty impressed with my clutch.

Engine Oil change was also due. So he had bought a 3 lit Castrol Magnatec. He also told that they are not stocking Magnatec as its prices are fluctuating very often and hence they bring the Magnatec only on demand. I had already told Lokesh to get the magnatec and therefore no issues.

Following stuffs were done:
1) 5 Wheel balancing, Rotation, Alignment
2) All Brakes cleaning
3) Engine Oil + Oil Filter Change

Bill came out to Rs 2880 (Items: 1141.40 + tax, Labour/Service: 1420 + tax).

As always car was cleaned and polished to perfection and handed over to me by 6:30PM. I was there fulltime and personally witnessed the proceedings.

Abhi

MODS: Pls update the thread to 35K
Old 22nd October 2008, 11:26   #94
Team-BHP Support

Abhi, i saw your car on the ORR this morning about 7:20, or so.
Looked clean. Probably being back from the service yesterday.
Old 22nd October 2008, 11:33   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Abhi, i saw your car on the ORR this morning about 7:20, or so.
Looked clean. Probably being back from the service yesterday.
Yes you are right !! I was on my way to office and it was drizzling that time but I didnt notice your car.

BTW, it looks clean everyday at that time as it is washed daily. The dirt starts collecting from the return journey onwards

Abhi
Old 22nd October 2008, 21:19   #96
Senior - BHPian

Abhi Very nice updates!! Your Lets Go Story made me tempted to buy Alto for my City use after I sold my Matiz.

If I decide to keep the car for long time I will be upgrading tyres to Michellin and Alloys for sure.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:23   #97
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Engine Oil change was also due. So he had bought a 3 lit Castrol Magnatec.
Hi Abhi,

I am planning to change my Alto's engine oil to a semi-synth or synthetic one when I go in for the 10,00 kms service.

So wanted to check with you on what the approx. cost would be for filling the Alto's engine with Castrol Magnatec like you have in your Alto?
Quote:
BTW, it looks clean everyday at that time as it is washed daily.
Am just curious as I am one of those people who likes to keep their car clean everyday. So I'm asking you this- do you wake up every morning and clean the car before you drive to work, or do you get it cleaned by someone everyday?

Thanks in advance,

Pritish

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd October 2008 at 14:56. Reason: Post merged
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:26   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
So wanted to check with you on what the approx. cost would be for filling the Alto's engine with Castrol Magnatec like you have in your Alto?
It costs aprox Rs 700-800 per 3 lit. Anyway I will PM you the exact cost when I check the bill.

Abhi
Old 25th October 2008, 17:38   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Latest update:
As always Lokesh took it for test drive and was pretty impressed with my clutch.
MODS: Pls update the thread to 35K
Anything special about clutch ? 5speed800/Alto clutches last really long. Mine still going good at 94k kms and I been driving in blr past 4 yrs.
Old 25th October 2008, 17:42   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerofazkaban View Post
Anything special about clutch ? 5speed800/Alto clutches last really long. Mine still going good at 94k kms and I been driving in blr past 4 yrs.
I'm only my second clutch at 21,000kms. First change was at 2,800kms. Yesterday when I gave my car for service I was told clutch is weak.

I was quite shocked since I use the clutch to the bare bare minimum. I don't mind being in a lower gear than to be in a higher gear and half clutch. Being tall with long legs it's not even possible to ride the clutch.
Old 25th October 2008, 17:50   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I'm only my second clutch at 21,000kms. First change was at 2,800kms. Yesterday when I gave my car for service I was told clutch is weak.

I was quite shocked since I use the clutch to the bare bare minimum. I don't mind being in a lower gear than to be in a higher gear and half clutch. Being tall with long legs it's not even possible to ride the clutch.
Do you get those jerks with half clutch in heavy slowmoving traffic or that burning smell with half clutch ? If not then it might be just good. Also I leanrt recently that its not always the clutch plate, the springs on it might go bad and can replace only them...

Having said that I think I will be due for clutch plate/ over haul soon... as I keep getting that burn smell with half clutch some times.

Yes as you mentioned being in lower gears is the best technique rather than pull with half clutch.
Old 25th October 2008, 18:17   #102
Team-BHP Support

I get jerks in slow moving traffic since the day I got the car but only with AC on.

The new weird phenomenon is clutch judder or shuddering after a cold start like in the morning. But once the car's warm problem goes away.
Old 11th November 2008, 10:11   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Latest update:
As always Lokesh took it for test drive and was pretty impressed with my clutch.
There is a saying in cricket "Commentator's Curse". I dont know whose curse is this but my clutch gave up two weeks after the service and that too early morning start when I was heading for the TBHP meet to Chikkaballapur.

There was no shudders or problems till then. Infact during service 2 weeks Lokesh told, "clutch is working brilliantly". Lokesh was very upset when I called him from ORR. When we met yesterday, He told that he never suspected about clutch as he took 2 test drives to check it. Infact I myself never felt any issues. Anyway, guess that was destiny.

Yesterday took the car to Surakshaa. They removed gear box and then the clutch box. 2 teeths of the pressure plate was slightly bent compared to others and that was the culprit. Changed everything now (Clutch, pressure plate, bearing, clutch cable).

Car is running smooth now. The new age clutch looked a bit different that the stock one (2005-06 model) and the number of teeths in the pressure plate was less (infact half) as it width was doubled. Everything looks very smooth now as it was before. Did a 120kmph in an empty ORR after Marathahalli and didnt find any issue.

Also noticed that the Oil seal on Drive shaft on one side was slightly jammed so replaced that as well. It took them a while to remove it while removing the gear box.

Lokesh told just to come over after office on Thursday so that he can have a check again.

Now the cost part:
1) Cover Assy. Clutch - 826.67
2) Disc Comp. Clutch - 905.78
3) Bearing Clutch Release - 515.56
4) Cable Clutch - 198.42
---------------------------------------
Total (with VAT) - 2903.66 (also included about Rs120 on Oil seal, pin, ring, petrol etc)

Labour Charges:
1) Gear Box remove / Refitted - 500
2) Clutch Overhaul - 250
3) Drive Shaft Oil seal Replace - 80
4) Clutch cable - 120
-----------------------------------
Total (with Tax) - 1067.42

Total Amount Paid = Rs 3971

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 11th November 2008 at 10:14.
Old 11th November 2008, 14:52   #104
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a saying in cricket "Commentator's Curse". I dont know whose curse is this but my clutch gave up two weeks after the service
Hi Abhi,

With less than 40,000 kms on the odo, don't you feel that your clutch wore out prematurely?

Considering that you have been scruplous with your servicing schedules and the fact that Lokesh mentioned that the clutch was indeed in good shape just two weeks ago, it seems strange to me that it failed so soon.

Would be great if you could share your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

gpa
Old 11th November 2008, 17:18   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Hi Abhi,

With less than 40,000 kms on the odo, don't you feel that your clutch wore out prematurely?
Clutch disc was fine but the pressure plate failed (2 teeth were slightly bent) that was enough for clutch slippage.
He was surprised and even asked me whether I gave my car to somebody else to drive.

Why did the pressure plate bend I cannot say!! I am surprised myself as I never had any issues or warning.

Clutch wear in city driving in not uncommon. It happens in 20-30K kms to many who do city driving (as per Lokesh's exp of car's coming for Clutch overhaul in Surakshaa). He was surprised as he knew my driving and he has been checking the car since 2K km in ODO and expected another 10K km atleast.

Abhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks