Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2010, 13:28   #436
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
I had got my car serviced at 35000kms. During that they said break pads have completely worn out and i got it replaced. Now I have done around 500 kms after serice and i get a "tic tic tic" sound from front wheel when i turn the car left. I remember i use to get such issues during my Maruti 800 days and i had to replace the drive shaft.

Is this anything to do with replacing of break pads and is it drive shaft issue?
Driveshaft issue at 35000kms? That sounds really sad. But, from my similar experience with that sound "tic tic" it turned out to be the issue of brakepads when they were on their last leg and almost touching the drums.

Best is to get it immediately checked at the service center before you drive around extensively.

Btw, which Chevy service center you use and what's been your experience?
Old 25th October 2010, 11:50   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
Since last 2 days, I feel a pulsating effect on the brake pedal. This is felt in medium or hard braking. The pulsating effect is quite noticable even by the passenger. No ABS fault shown.

My last service was 800km back and the brake pads and disks were ok. Recommended change was in the next service.

Did you guys have any such symptom earlier? What was the diagnosis?
Hi!

I am also a owner and had similar problems. My optra was driven about 24k kms and this issue croped up. This is just a problem with the speed sensors and they need to be replaced. The service guy will not be able to find that problem unless the ABS sign is on. They will try and bleed the brakes and pretend and return you the car only to find out that the problem has resurfaced. It sounds funny that only replacing speed sensors can eradicate this issue but true! This would be done FOC if in warranty. Insist coz i hav got it done FOC and its only on me insisting that this is not a wear and tear part and hence has to be covered in warranty
Old 25th October 2010, 11:57   #438
BHPian

Hey,

This is again a issue with the Optra and if i remember it has been posted somewhere that 2008 optra magnums have these issues. This will be covered in warranty, i have got it replaced and hence if you insist they will replace it. Fuel pump will just conk off and the car will not start. Will have to get it towed. I had to wait for 25 days before i could get my pump replaced since i am living in Shillong and they told me that it takes so much of time. I got the tracking number of the part(they had sent it through blue dart) and got to know that they sent it late and its not the delivery that takes that long. So its just a part but GET IT REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY. They will create a lot of hue and cry after warranty(though they create that under warranrty also but still!!)
Old 4th November 2010, 11:53   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
Since last 2 days, I feel a pulsating effect on the brake pedal. This is felt in medium or hard braking. The pulsating effect is quite noticable even by the passenger. No ABS fault shown.

My last service was 800km back and the brake pads and disks were ok. Recommended change was in the next service.

Did you guys have any such symptom earlier? What was the diagnosis?
I have the same problem. the GM people waited till my warranty period to get over till they made the dignostics that my solenoid cylinder switch was faulty and i had to replace it. i had specifically told them to check this same part when this problem started but they always returned the car after cleaning the brakes, and bleeding the brake lines saying this problem was rectified. but it the ABS light always came on after about 20km. Now after a lot of threatening i got them to replace it for me for free.
Old 17th November 2010, 15:20   #440
BHPian

Now new trouble with the car! My car has done 28.5k kms and the front shocker is broken. There is a lot of noise and the dealer has ordered the part since it was not available. My fiesta has done abt 70 k kms and only abt the 60k there was a problem but thats normal since its now 4and a half years old. really troubled n now since my car is out warranty they will definately pass it off as a wear n tear prob which OBVIOUSLY WAS CAUSED BY ME!!
Had got my service done recently and they ripped me apart with that bill. Total damage 5.4k!!
ENGINE OIL RS4200 PUT TOTAL QUARTZ 9000 @ 670/LITRE
OIL FILTER AND SERVICE CHARGE ABT RS.1000

There used to be a problem with my car refusing to start in winters! Can you believe this.. how can a modern car have problems with starting. This prob was with the other cars of chevy also and hav my other friends complainin the same issue also. They seem to suggest that there is a problem with the fuel available in shillong(where i stay currently) but i contested then why does fiesta diesel with same pumps and same place have no issues.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Direct or Indirect foul language is NOT permitted on Team-BHP. Subsequent action follows. Thanks!

lemme see if the prob is solved with this new engine oil whoch they hav put but 4200 is WAYYYY TOO EXPENSIVE

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th November 2010 at 12:28.
RW9763 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th November 2010, 19:11   #441
BHPian

Guys for anyone who gets any problem like in the case of ABS.. ensure that you get the Machine which checks the problem(sorry forgot the technical name if you all can remind me ) connected when the sign is on. Eg. In my case i had a problem with the ABS, they connected it and reset the ECU in the car which made the problem disappear and i came back happy thinking i solved the problem w/o any dent on my pocket only to realise that it resurfaced only hours later!! So go back and when the light is on get the test done in front of u. The machine will tell the problem only when that warning sign is on else it will show everything to be normal.
Old 16th March 2011, 12:10   #442
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Optra Magnum TCDi ... My new love ..!!

Recently my car suddenly stopped in traffic. I called the break down guy from Sundaram, since he was far away he asked me to call someone from Kropex. Luckily (or unluckily) he was close by and came near the car in about 20 minutes. Bingo the car started in the first crank, however the ECU light was on. Drove to Kropex to get it checked. Apparently the fuel pump conked off. Told people at Kropex that the car was still under warranty. They changed the fuel pump after getting an approval from GM and gave back the car next day. Well I just thought everything is fine now.
After a few day I went to fill fuel, was shocked to see fuel leaking out when the tank was filled.
Apparently our people at Kropex hadn't fitted the fuel pump properly. After a call and blasting the car was again taken to Kropex. They now saild it was a problem with the O ring and replaced it. Now they say there is no leak, but I still have fuel dripping slightly. This could also be the fuel which had leaked earlier. Will have to wait for a couple of days till it dries completely and then re fuel and see.
Old 19th March 2011, 19:33   #443
BHPian

In January the ABS light came on in my car and the brakes started working erratically. It was so bad that it was scary driving the car above 20 kph because i could never tell if the brakes will work or not. car was kept for repair and the service center guy said they have reset the fault and car should be fine but soon after taking the car from the service center the ABS light came back and the brakes stopped working properly so the car went back to the service center and they kept it for 1 day and then said it is a problem with the abs sensors which have to be replaced. cost rs 8000 per wheel total rs 16000 for the 2 rear wheels plus labor but they are not available and have to be ordered. It took 2 weeks for the abs sensors to arrive till then i was driving around at 20 kph. now there is no problem with the brakes so far 2 months after changing the sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW9763 View Post
Guys for anyone who gets any problem like in the case of ABS.. ensure that you get the Machine which checks the problem(sorry forgot the technical name if you all can remind me ) connected when the sign is on. Eg. In my case i had a problem with the ABS, they connected it and reset the ECU in the car which made the problem disappear and i came back happy thinking i solved the problem w/o any dent on my pocket only to realise that it resurfaced only hours later!! So go back and when the light is on get the test done in front of u. The machine will tell the problem only when that warning sign is on else it will show everything to be normal.
dockap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2011, 20:42   #444
BHPian

37000 KM Update

Hello to fellow Bhpians (after a rather long time in this thread),

Main reason for this gap: Had nothing really new to update (Thank God & touchwood ).

Car has done more than 37000 on the odo. Few scratches here and there though nothing significant except for 3 lines on the bonnet. Courtesy of a sweet combo - New driver & an overladen iron bars truck.

Lights: Really inadequate for highway driving in the night. But no replacement yet. Any suggestions welcome.

Apart from regular service brake pads were replaced in the 30K service and balancing / alignment done. Moreover the service advisor replaced the rear tyre's with the front ones & vice versa when changing the brake pads without any prior consultation may be after looking at the tread wear n tear. After the pad replacement braking improved significantly.

Another replacement in the 35k service was some steering related pipe which was leaking (Reason: unknown)

Costs:
30k Service - 6k
35k Service - 2.5k

Stock tyre's are crappy and need to be changed but haven't undergone the replacement yet . Any suggestions? Heard that PP2's were good but unavailable now. I was thinking of getting a 205/60/R15 instead of the stock (AFAIK Goodyear GT3 195/60/R15) since I don't wanna lose out on GC & atleast 30 - 35K running.

Options:

Yokohama S / A Drive (Heard about many bad reviews)
Michelin PP2 / PS2 (Expensive ??)
Michelin MXV8 (Comfort but heard still a LOT better than stock)
Any others?

A noob question: Will the stock alloys do good on the above upsize ?

99% city driving and once a year highway trips . Constant FE : More than 13 at all times (Usually 13.5 exact)

Nothing else to report and very happy about this fact. Might think of getting a Petes upgrade when we get another car but before that new set of wheels.

For any other queries kindly get back.
Regards

P.S. MODs can update the thread title as required. Thanks.

Last edited by beanstalk_230 : 30th March 2011 at 20:49.
Old 30th March 2011, 22:25   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Driveshaft issue at 35000kms? That sounds really sad. But, from my similar experience with that sound "tic tic" it turned out to be the issue of brakepads when they were on their last leg and almost touching the drums.

Best is to get it immediately checked at the service center before you drive around extensively.

Btw, which Chevy service center you use and what's been your experience?
Wow i am having same issue for 35k as well. My concern is i started getting tic tic sound only after i gave my car for 35 k service in which i got brake pads changed.
Old 31st March 2011, 10:24   #446
BHPian

Re: 37000 KM Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230 View Post
Options:

Yokohama S / A Drive (Heard about many bad reviews)
I would suggest Yoko A drives, got good reviews from a re-mapped cruze owner.
Old 4th August 2011, 10:12   #447
BHPian

From what I have read so far, the Chevy Promise for the Magnum @ ~31000 for 3 years/45K km might be costlier than the general cost of maintainence by around 6-8k. Is it worthwhile to go in for it? While they are obliged to replace parts while in warranty for 2 years, it's the 1 year after that i'm looking for. My typical usage will be reasonably free roads 90% + city 10% (~1200km/month), Highways 1-2 times a year or maybe more now. Might just cross the 45 Km mark in that period. Thanks.
Old 9th August 2011, 19:29   #448
BHPian

Buying service package is like insurance; it is good to have especially if the cost is not too high. At the same time from your projection it is clear that you are not going to clock too many miles so you can surely stay with default warranty only.
Happy Motoring and congratulation on Optra; she will never disappoint you with its power
Old 10th August 2011, 21:44   #449
BHPian

Maybe this is a superfluous question but let me ask anyway.

Does anyone have an idea of the usable life of the engine versus Toyota/Ford/Fiat etc and how does it compare maintenance wise when engine repair comes?

The recommendation of fuel is premium according to the sticker. What have you all been using in the Magnum and which is best according to you?

Thank you
Old 12th August 2011, 14:55   #450
BANNED

Not much of an expert on this, but I have seen an Optra in pristine condition with 122K Kms on it.

Happy Motoring !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks