Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

Both my ORVMs have gotten knocked close by bikers twice each. They have a slight hiccup at certain points, but are still functional. Surprised the CRV's motors are so fragile. Maybe they ones from Japan are made with plastic and the Indian sourced ones are made of spacecraft grade titanium to withstand daily banging

From reading all the threads here, it appears Honda service centers universally change the discs instead of sending them to a lathe and getting them skimmed. I'll have to find a third party service center who'll do this when my car's turn comes.
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:45   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
These three components added up to almost 75% of the total amount. I can understand the brake pads needing a change, but why the front discs? If they were damaged, wouldn't skimming have helped?
Yup it would have lasted for another 40k kms.

GTO: reply to why is mentioned in the below post second half, the dealers dont go for repair and just replace it. Maybe trying to clear off the inventory of parts lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Both my ORVMs have gotten knocked close by bikers twice each. They have a slight hiccup at certain points, but are still functional. Surprised the CRV's motors are so fragile. Maybe they ones from Japan are made with plastic and the Indian sourced ones are made of spacecraft grade titanium to withstand daily banging

From reading all the threads here, it appears Honda service centers universally change the discs instead of sending them to a lathe and getting them skimmed. I'll have to find a third party service center who'll do this when my car's turn comes.
Yes the stoppers/assembly everything is plastic and if it breaks, the motor will go in an eternal loop making kat kat sound. Even Araldate fix gives off in couple of days. Design is flawed since it's not push/shove proof as in most cars.

Dealer says the latest model Crv has this addressed, though am not sure about it and wouldnt want anybody to experiment at a cost of 6 grand.

ps: Honda now offers synthetic oil option, heard it from a colleague who got a call saying 2500 for oil change, he said no thank you and went with regular mineral oil at 700 bucks.

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd April 2009 at 11:46.
Old 22nd April 2009, 14:36   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yup it would have lasted for another 40k kms.

GTO: reply to why is mentioned in the below post second half, the dealers dont go for repair and just replace it. Maybe trying to clear off the inventory of parts lol
Linkway wanted to change my Vtec's discs at 50,000 odd kms as well. I gave them a convincing argument, told them that I know my cars, and the discs will NOT be replaced at my cost.

They eventually got the discs skimmed
Old 22nd April 2009, 14:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Linkway wanted to change my Vtec's discs at 50,000 odd kms as well. I gave them a convincing argument, told them that I know my cars, and the discs will NOT be replaced at my cost.

They eventually got the discs skimmed

Got the same report in my last service. Brake discs need replacement. I asked them not to. Got my brake pads changed and discs skimmed from a private workshop.
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Got the same report in my last service. Brake discs need replacement. I asked them not to. Got my brake pads changed and discs skimmed from a private workshop.
A bit OT but a related query about brake pads/discs all the same. My Corolla'a AT brake pads were replaced at 18K at a cost of Rs. 5.8K. Since then, another 20K run but no sign of screeching so far. What is this skimming??. If past trend is an indicator, maybe brake pads are due to be replaced in another 4-5K??
Old 22nd April 2009, 17:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

Skimming is the process of using a lathe to remove deformations on the brake disc. This removes a layer off the disc, reducing it's usable thickness, but it allows you to keep the disc instead of replacing it.
ImmortalZ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2009, 17:55   #37
Team-BHP Support

Unfortunately i was busy with some work when the driver called to check and forgot to call back, and we realized all this after we saw the bill and receipt. Partly our mistake of not being involved with the service.

Anyways damage is done, so next time when they ask for rear disc (which am sure) ill apply the brakes

Car has gone a long drive to kerala today morning and ill be meeting up during weekend, then will know how she is holding with new brake kit in front.
Old 21st May 2009, 21:30   #38
Team-BHP Support

Crv came back after that river wading at Marthahalli, a real truck wooshed past almost flooding the car, lucky no major damage. Apart from the front plastic skid guard one piece has come off. Apparently one plug is conked, i think its not been changed for last 20k kms.

Has asked the driver to take it to Honda, check the filter and replace all plugs.
Old 21st May 2009, 22:02   #39
Team-BHP Support

Its a golden Crv and it was not me, bro driven by the driver Driver said he stalled the car, and car didnt crank. I checked now and all fine except one suspected choked plug/coil, could be totally unrelated also.

Anyways will know tomorrow.
Old 22nd May 2009, 15:36   #40
Team-BHP Support

car is still at garage, they cant seem to figure out the slight misfire and valve sound??? say opening up and checking. This will be fun.

No this was not a water damage!
Old 22nd May 2009, 22:42   #41
Team-BHP Support

Car is still at Whitefield Honda, all the parameters normal but tappet noise at idle! more like one cylinder misbehaving wrt tappets. They have escalated to reg service manager from honda, since they have tried all the tricks including tappet adjustments.

Car runs well otherwise, but very clear tak tak sound at idle.

My diagnosis, now need to check the exhaust since it was flooded yesterday. Also will ask them to change the plugs eitherways, i have had enough troubles with plugs in gasoline cars that i dont mind changing them at 20k kms, instead of dealer suggested 40k kms.

SA called me up, i asked about scan tool and he said previous gen Crv readouts are limited to electricals and no help wrt mech trouble. I somehow dont think this is the fact!

Now wishing that the SA was just buying some time to deliver, instead of such excuses. I think i will drop in tomorrow, if i dont get a proper resolution or reply. Is this what we can expect from AUTHORIZED HONDA DEALER???

Right now cursing Honda for this complicated VVti 2.4 Lit engine!!!

ps: Ruled out all possibility of water damage to engine, apart from the exhaust pipe damage / flooded when engine was idle.
Old 22nd May 2009, 23:34   #42
Senior - BHPian

Sorry Jaggu, the K series is the future.

However, even a simple OBD2 scan tool with proper software can tell you a metric ton of information. The K has an ECU which can dump everything over OBD.

Well, it doesn't matter if the engine is idle or not if and when water entered the intake. It was running and that is enough to cause severe damage. Hopefully nothing of the sort has happened.
Old 23rd May 2009, 21:33   #43
Team-BHP Support

Story so far.

No water issue anywhere, air filter is clean and clear (was replaced only 1000km back so easy to identify), oil also clean. Car runs as normal (no power loss, jerks, misfire) except for strange valve sound at idle. Only water damage could be the exhaust, since it would have got submerged.

Whitefield Honda claims to have set tappets 3 times, then they opened oil sump to check crank bearings, only one is visible since rest is covered by oil pump (i also saw this). This one bearing is all clear according to them though i dont know how they can figure out by visual inspection??.

They wanted to open the engine and i clearly said NO, not yet!

Escalated to Asst Service Manger and clearly explained to him that i dont want to open the engine without ruling out peripheral stuff like valves, valve springs, exhaust etc. During the discussion Vtec valve/valve springs also came up (i thought they would have checked!).

He has assured me that he will check everything including a compression check to see if there are any issue with valves and if needed will escalate to Honda. If all efforts fail he will call me and update before opening engine.

Good thing the Ast Service Manager seems to listen to my concerns, of opening up otherwise aok Made in Jap Engine + We dont have any warranty and Company maintenance (thanks to recession cost cutting) available now. Since its not water damage cant even try for flood coverage under insurance

So i have to wait again till Monday, hopefully some breakthrough happens by then.
Old 25th May 2009, 12:04   #44
Team-BHP Support

Got a call from the dealer, the compression in 2 cylinders are very weak, i have asked the SA to inform the Manager to give me a call.

SA guy is absolutely non tech guy and ill go bonkers speaking to him, he just says ok to whatever you ask or say and doesnt do anything.
Old 25th May 2009, 17:17   #45
Team-BHP Support

The Manager is in meeting whole day, so finally i decided to pick up the phone and dial. He also confirmed that compression is low, and in one particular cylinder very low. Since he was busy, i requested for an update on "what next" from one in charge.

Promptly received a call, and the person (floor manager) said that they have checked compression, which is low. On asking about valve spring, he said they were checked along with tappet adjustment (though initially he was confused if this engine had hydrolic adjuster , small slip i guess, and i will let it go).

At the end he informed me that they are reporting the readings and the issue to Honda and will update me once they hear from the company.

Can spare the car till Wednesday and moreover have a weekend trip to Coorg, hope the issues gets resolved by then. To add to that, if something needs replacement will they have the part readily available??!

Nothing much to do apart from waiting, again.

ps: can anybody confirm Type 2 Crv engine has manual adjust or hydrolic adjust tappets? If its latter then i need to get them to check for any malfunction/block on any one of the hydrolic tappet controls.

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th May 2009 at 17:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks