Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2009, 18:42   #46
Senior - BHPian

Pardon me, but is your car a 2.4L one or a 2.0L one?

The K series shares a lot of parts between them and Honda has quite a few cars on the road with the same engine - Accords. If they had to replace the engine head, they might have to import stuff though.
Old 25th May 2009, 18:45   #47
Team-BHP Support

The car has 2.4L engine, hope its the same as Accord and has common parts, or am expecting a long stay at the garage : (
Old 25th May 2009, 18:51   #48
Team-BHP Support

The accords engine is fully imported. It's not manufactured in India AFAIK. Even for the 2.4L Accord engine parts have to be imported and it is a long wait.

My friend had the old 2.4L accord and his starter motor went kaput. The wait was one month as they don't keep in stock and it has to be imported.
Old 25th May 2009, 19:03   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
ps: can anybody confirm Type 2 Crv engine has manual adjust or hydrolic adjust tappets? If its latter then i need to get them to check for any malfunction/block on any one of the hydrolic tappet controls.
The following is part of the writeup at:

2002 Honda CR-V -- Powertrain - Honda - Press Releases - Selected Story

110,000 Mile Tune-Up Intervals
The CR-V's first scheduled tune-up is required at 110,000 miles (only routine inspections and fluid changes are required prior to 110,000 miles.) Credit for this longevity goes to long-wearing iridium-tipped spark plugs, a long-life timing chain, and careful engineering of the precisely manufactured DOHC valvetrain--which reliably maintains proper valve tappet clearances until the 110,000-mile first tune-up (under normal conditions.)

Unfortunately there is no specific mention of hydraulic here.
trrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2009, 19:56   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got a call from the dealer, the compression in 2 cylinders are very weak, i have asked the SA to inform the Manager to give me a call.

SA guy is absolutely non tech guy and ill go bonkers speaking to him, he just says ok to whatever you ask or say and doesnt do anything.
Its the same with most service guys. Atleast your guy didnt argue with you ; maybe he is a newbie and learning stuff!

Quote:
Promptly received a call, and the person (floor manager) said that they have checked compression, which is low. On asking about valve spring, he said they were checked along with tappet adjustment (though initially he was confused if this engine had hydrolic adjuster , small slip i guess, and i will let it go).

At the end he informed me that they are reporting the readings and the issue to Honda and will update me once they hear from the company.

Can spare the car till Wednesday and moreover have a weekend trip to Coorg, hope the issues gets resolved by then. To add to that, if something needs replacement will they have the part readily available??!

Nothing much to do apart from waiting, again.
Why not try contacting TBHPians in Kerala etc if needed? What if they have spares here or there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

The following is part of the writeup at:

2002 Honda CR-V -- Powertrain - Honda - Press Releases - Selected Story

110,000 Mile Tune-Up Intervals
Thats a big number! that too in miles!
Old 25th May 2009, 21:05   #51
Team-BHP Support

@vid: Dont scare me dude! Anyways most of the parts are available in Delhi (Honda factory) and usually reached in a weeks time once you put pressure.

@trrk: I dont think they run iridium plugs in Crv. Yes cam runs on chain, saw it yesterday but the car was hoisted so couldnt peek inside the valve cover

@jkdas: First they need to diagnose whats wrong! Will Honda sell parts over the counter?

Back to praying he he
Old 25th May 2009, 21:11   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car has 2.4L engine, hope its the same as Accord and has common parts, or am expecting a long stay at the garage : (
It is not exactly the same as the Accord engine, but it is nearly the same - pistons are different, less compression.

Quote:
@trrk: I dont think they run iridium plugs in Crv. Yes cam runs on chain, saw it yesterday but the car was hoisted so couldnt peek inside the valve cover
Honda OEM spark plugs for the CR-V are :

Denso SKJ20DRM-11
NGK IZFR6K-11

Both are Iridium tipped.

Quote:
@jkdas: First they need to diagnose whats wrong! Will Honda sell parts over the counter?
No.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 25th May 2009 at 21:19.
Old 25th May 2009, 23:41   #53
Team-BHP Support

Thanks immortalz, you got this from manual? if so it should be. I have to dig up the bills to confirm.
Old 26th May 2009, 10:07   #54
Senior - BHPian

K20A.org actually. The place for the K series engines.
Old 26th May 2009, 16:52   #55
Team-BHP Support

Update!

I made a call to the SA sometime back and he informed that they are working on a set of check list which Honda has given and he told me that he will keep me informed.

After 10 minutes he called me back and informed that issue is still not resolved and now Honda has advised them to open up and check.

I think ill trust Honda's judgement for now, have given a go ahead. Work will happen only tomorrow and might receive an update tomorrow evening, since its a time consuming job. First Engine has to be downed from the car, then dismantled.

They have to check for following suspects:
  • Valves- Bent
  • Connecting rod damage?
  • Main bearing, i kinda rule it out since the sound seems to be more from the top half

Still cant figure out how it could have happened? Water got in through exhaust side?? Push start damaged an already weak valve?? OR is it a freak failure of part???

Keeping fingers crossed and hope the tab is not one!
Old 26th May 2009, 19:40   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
The only reason for giving that link was the mention of checking the tappets at that mileage. You did want to know whether they are hydraulically activated. There is no specific mention like that in that link.

It is aftre a gap of 10+ years that I am driving a spark plug fitted car. I am really at a loss as to what tip it could have!
Old 26th May 2009, 19:56   #57
Team-BHP Support

Thanks trrk, i was confirming the presence of cam chain and all and i think our car is a different beast all together that it needs engine job at 60k kms! lol
Old 26th May 2009, 21:02   #58
Senior - BHPian

To be honest Jaggu, this seems like a freak occurrence or nature's fury. Here's fingers crossed for the least monetary damage!
Old 26th May 2009, 21:26   #59
Team-BHP Support

Did wading through water contribute to this mess? OMG! :O
Doesnt the CRV have better ground clearance than most cars?
If not that, how else does one explain the USP of the CRV?

Lets hope they decide to foot the cost, without damages to your wallet, Jaggu.
Old 26th May 2009, 22:04   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Lets hope they decide to foot the cost, without damages to your wallet, Jaggu.
Don't think they would unless the car is under warranty which seems unlikely as the thread open date is Jan 05. So its a little beyond 4 years of ownership.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks