Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2008, 15:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

SX4 - rocking at 6000 kms

Finally after having done 6000 kms, I thought I will pin down some experiences so far. It's been 10 months I bought the car, and since then it has been a good experience overall with the ownership. I know 6000 kms in 10 months - that's an average running of 600 kms a month - One of the good thing to work from home (save on fuel, hendious traffic and time ). Of course, there were some itching problems before (A-pillar and dashboard rattling due to faulty wiring of reverse parking sensors, not so smooth gears, vibrating clutch.).

* The dashboard rattling issues were resolved earlier by tapping every inch of reverse parking wirings.
* But the hard gears and vibrating clutch were still there even after 3-4 visits. The clutch vibration is more prominent in higher revs and according to dealer's workshop, its normal. Yesterday I got a call from the dealer that Maruti has send them modified drive shafts for both left and right wheels. Today I watched the whole time, from replacement to the test drive, I found the gears to be butter smooth and driveability at lower gears were much better now (no more do I have to bear the aweful ghakk, ghakk sound when changing from lower to higher gears). But the clutch vibration still remains. They told me to bring the car on 19th April for inspection by visiting MSIL Engineers. Hopefully, they say, the engine mounting rubbers or cascade (not so sure what it is) will be replaced with a modified one. Keeping my finger crossed ! (If anyone of you are facing the hard gear issue, ghakk, ghaak noise, please insist your dealer to replace with the modified drive shafts from Maruti - it reads 'SHAFT ASSY, FRONT DRIV' 44101 - 55K60 on the sticker)

* I have taken 2 long trips so far - one to Agra (Wah Taj!) and another to Jaipur. I am impressed by the overall handling and speed on highways - but the noise, uhhh at above 120 kmph is pretty irratating. The car is a fuel guzzler above 4000 rpms. So, I always intend to drive at around 100 kmph ( less than 3500 rpm), but the seeing the long stretch of road, it just manage to accelerate well past 130-140 kmph unknowingly.. Anyhow, I get an average of 14.5 kmpl in my entire trip to Delhi-Agra, and 15 kmpl on Delhi-Jaipur, all these with spirited driving. I get around 12 Kmpl in city condition with 80% AC on.

* Regarding Maruti services, I think this makes a big difference in my ownership. So far, my dealer (Rana motors) had been very pro-active in my dealings with them. They were kind enough to send engineers at my home for attending to certain issues (dashboard rattling, hard gears, clutch vibration). For servicing, they also offered to send driver to pick the vehicle, though I promptly refused (because you never trust how they gonna do the driving).

* Recently added MGA body kit. Costed me 20K including labor and paints. Though, it brings an agressive looks, initially I was sceptical about the impact it will have on speed breakers and uneven roads. But after been with the kits for almost 2 months, I only had a minor bottom scratch on the front skirt, that too, not in a speed breaker, but on a parking lot, that have the half-a foot stopper wall. Overall it's a better quality and finish than other after markets ones. I would definitely recommend to anyone who plans to put skirtings. (You can find pictures of the car with the bodykit on my gallery - Enjoy!!)

There you go mate.. I'll keep updating this thread from time to time.

Last edited by iTNerd : 11th April 2008 at 15:26.
Old 11th April 2008, 15:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

Great review, and i think the 20 K spent on the kit was really worth it, your car looks fab in white and with the kit.
Old 11th April 2008, 15:54   #3
Team-BHP Support

great review. good that the problems are getting solved, hopefully MSIL will be able to do something about the clutch soon. Please post some pics if possible.
Old 11th April 2008, 19:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. 600 kms a month more or less matches my usage too, though my Fiesta has run 8200 kms in a year due to office shifting farther away.

I am glad to note that Maruti is seriously addressing niggling issues in the SX4. You are getting good mileage in city, perhaps it has something to do with Delhi traffic. My Hyd pals are getting only 9 to 10 in their SX4s.
Old 11th April 2008, 22:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up and pics in your gallery. Good mileage inside city too. Are you using the normal fuel or x'tra premium/speed/power?
Old 12th April 2008, 10:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Great review, and i think the 20 K spent on the kit was really worth it, your car looks fab in white and with the kit.
Thanks Jaggu. Yes, loving every bit of the kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
great review. good that the problems are getting solved, hopefully MSIL will be able to do something about the clutch soon. Please post some pics if possible.
Thanks. I hope so. But one thing I noticed is that the clutch pedal, per se, does not physically vibrate in higher revs. It is only when I slightly put my feet in the pedal, did I sense the vibration. Is this normal, or it is just my gut feeling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Congrats. 600 kms a month more or less matches my usage too, though my Fiesta has run 8200 kms in a year due to office shifting farther away.

I am glad to note that Maruti is seriously addressing niggling issues in the SX4. You are getting good mileage in city, perhaps it has something to do with Delhi traffic. My Hyd pals are getting only 9 to 10 in their SX4s.
Thanks. Yes, a big difference in the driveability post-drive shaft replacement. Gears are so smooth now, and the lower gears (1,2) are quite torque happy when driving in traffic.. cheers:. Regarding mileage, yes Delhi's traffic is much better and that might have contributed to a better FE. And I travel mostly in weekends, so less traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Nice write up and pics in your gallery. Good mileage inside city too. Are you using the normal fuel or x'tra premium/speed/power?
Thanks. Yes, I mostly use Xtra premium.

Last edited by iTNerd : 12th April 2008 at 10:52.
Old 12th April 2008, 14:44   #7
BHPian

Good review ITNERD. My observations below.
Kms done: 8500 km done, will give for 3rd service in couple of months.
Gears: Gears are smooth and engages perfectly but get a very audible click sound. Once I half-pressed the clutch & engaged the gear, that time I heard a crackle sound but hope it doesn't cause any problem.
Noise: At high speed the engine noise is more and I can smell the tyre once it reaches 100+ though all windows close and AC knob in recirculating mode (IS THIS NORMAL ?). Although this engine sounds like a racing car when revved, how much does it cost to bring the pure sound of racing car, only sound.
Skirting: Definitely love the skirting, before the car looked huge with high GC, but after putting the skirts it somehow looks small. I also got a scractch on the front skirts when taking the car to the dealer, however it went with scratches underneath without any breaking,also one guy hit me on the bumper and part of it bent in, then I pulled it up to restore the previous shape, should say it is flexible and the quality is very good.
Mileage: Mileage has dropped to 11.5 from 13 in city, since I changed the petrol bunk from Shell to other one due to huge difference of price per litre (Shell 57, Other 52). Since this car has a higher gear ratio, at what RPM this gives the best mileage. Is it 1.5/2/3 RPM ?

'SHAFT ASSY, FRONT DRIV' 44101 - 55K60: Will this part be changed for all the cars, or for the one which has problems. I can feel slight vibrations in the gears and the clutch but on lower gears the car stalls and needs a trick to avoid the stall. I asked about this problem to the dealer but they said there is no problem with the clutch & gears.
Old 14th April 2008, 21:11   #8
BHPian

Good review guys!!!!
I just thought of giving my 9650Kms report on my SX4 ZXI.
The car is pretty good and i travel 50Kms in a day. I use to travel in very bad roads too and so far i had 3 punctures. The FE is around 11.4 Kmpl, i fill up in Shell but as Gopinathann said the cost of petrol in shell is Rs. 58.80 and now i shifted to Bharath petroleum (Speed petrol - Rs 52.40). Actually i am getting little more milage in Bharath petroleums speed petrol when compare with Shell premium petrol.
As such i have the common problem like the third gear vibration, Slight tick tick sound in the from dash board. I need to do a little painting on my front LHS bumper since an ambassidor hit and the paint pealed off.
After seeing reviews on skirting, iam tempted to go for skirting. Will enquire for it in this service. I service in ABT guindy chennai....Could any one tell me how much will it cost for the full skirting including rear spoiler any is there any other dealer where i can get genuine Maruti skirting for a good price?
Old 14th April 2008, 23:23   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DineshKanna View Post
Good review guys!!!!
I just thought of giving my 9650Kms report on my SX4 ZXI.
The car is pretty good and i travel 50Kms in a day. I use to travel in very bad roads too and so far i had 3 punctures. The FE is around 11.4 Kmpl, i fill up in Shell but as Gopinathann said the cost of petrol in shell is Rs. 58.80 and now i shifted to Bharath petroleum (Speed petrol - Rs 52.40). Actually i am getting little more milage in Bharath petroleums speed petrol when compare with Shell premium petrol.
As such i have the common problem like the third gear vibration, Slight tick tick sound in the from dash board. I need to do a little painting on my front LHS bumper since an ambassidor hit and the paint pealed off.
After seeing reviews on skirting, iam tempted to go for skirting. Will enquire for it in this service. I service in ABT guindy chennai....Could any one tell me how much will it cost for the full skirting including rear spoiler any is there any other dealer where i can get genuine Maruti skirting for a good price?
I have fixed skirting with Khivraj, Annasalai for around Rs. 19K (23k for full set), which color u have ?
Old 15th April 2008, 00:11   #10
BHPian

has anybody inquired with maruti about the modified shafts for sx4 which itnerd got replaced for his car.
Old 16th April 2008, 21:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
I have fixed skirting with Khivraj, Annasalai for around Rs. 19K (23k for full set), which color u have ?
Hi Gopinathann, i have metallic perl white. If i could get at that price at ABT then i will fix it there or will ask the Khivraj dealer. I do remember 3-4 months back i was asking for the rear spoiler to multiple dealers but only Khivraj said he does it up on booking. Anyway i will check it? Thanks.
Old 17th April 2008, 13:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
* But the hard gears and vibrating clutch were still there even after 3-4 visits. The clutch vibration is more prominent in higher revs and according to dealer's workshop, its normal. Yesterday I got a call from the dealer that Maruti has send them modified drive shafts for both left and right wheels. Today I watched the whole time, from replacement to the test drive, I found the gears to be butter smooth and driveability at lower gears were much better now (no more do I have to bear the aweful ghakk, ghakk sound when changing from lower to higher gears).
(If anyone of you are facing the hard gear issue, ghakk, ghaak noise, please insist your dealer to replace with the modified drive shafts from Maruti - it reads 'SHAFT ASSY, FRONT DRIV' 44101 - 55K60 on the sticker)
Thats interesting to note. My SX4 gears are also quite hard and when I complained, they said gears get smoother by time and mileage ( I have done 3500 kms only).
But when i compared to a new swift's gearshift, mine definitely were very hard, and I couldnt buy that argument when I drove my friends SX4 (done 10000 kms.), and the gear shifts are still hard.
I guess I will follow up the dealer on this one. I hope Maruti have a circular on this which has reached to every dealer.
Will keep updating.
Thanks for the info.
Old 17th April 2008, 14:33   #13
BHPian

My update:

I contacted a Territory Service Manager and he confirmed that Maruti doesnt have any circular or plans to replace drive shafts of SX4 facing hard gear shift problems.
He reiterated that Drive Shafts actually doesnt have any relation with Gearbox.
He confirmed with Maruti engineers and QA.
He also said that it could have been a problem with specific car (ITNerd's car).

So, ITNerd, please confirm from your dealer about this. This will help fellow SX4 owners who are facing hard gear shifts issue.

Ciao.
Old 17th April 2008, 14:36   #14
VBV
BHPian

I had a chat with my service manager and he also said that there are no plans.
Frankly, except for 5th to 4th in certain speeds, all gear shifts have been easy for me after the 1st service.

VBV
Old 17th April 2008, 18:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
My update:

I contacted a Territory Service Manager and he confirmed that Maruti doesnt have any circular or plans to replace drive shafts of SX4 facing hard gear shift problems.
He reiterated that Drive Shafts actually doesnt have any relation with Gearbox.
He confirmed with Maruti engineers and QA.
He also said that it could have been a problem with specific car (ITNerd's car).

So, ITNerd, please confirm from your dealer about this. This will help fellow SX4 owners who are facing hard gear shifts issue.

Ciao.
Well, my service manager specifically informed me, that they have got new modified front drift shaft (both left-right) from Maruti. I saw the packaging itself, and managed to pull out the sticker. It was packaged on Feb 2008. MRP Rs. 8630 each. They also did work on the gears (some adjustment probably) and that's likely the reason why I felt the gear to be lighter, smoother than before. I don't know if it is due to the new drive shaft, but I can definitely tell you this - the driveability in lower gears have drastically improved, its more smooth, much better than before (it used to jerk, in bumper to bumper traffic, with ghak-ghak noise before). Actually, it feels I have just added more bhp into the engine.. in the sense, the car actually feels more responsive than before.. Anyway, the clutch vibration issue is still there, so, have an appointment with MSIL engineers on 17th April.. so I would definitely clear out the cloud over the drive shaft. Anyway here is a picture of the drive shaft sticker:

SX4 - rocking at 6000 kms-shaft.jpg

Last edited by iTNerd : 17th April 2008 at 18:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks