Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2008, 10:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

I dont want to see these pictures, as Fiat did not sell me my Palio Adventure. Ofcourse I am jealous.

But hats off to you, using the adventure the way it should be.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

Amazing report, amazing car.

This thread is making me curse my self. I always wanted to buy the Fiat Adventure, but my brain did not allow my heart to prevail...
Old 5th August 2008, 12:39   #33
BHPian

Manoj, really great pictures. and even better to see the Adventure being put through its paces. Looking forwards to seeing more of your travels with the car.
Old 5th August 2008, 13:25   #34
BHPian

Awsome pics Manoj, just reminded me, what a wonderfull machine I have.
And yaa everyone who buys a FIAT does it by heart not mind. And I suppose in every locality they are seen as some crack head guy.
hmmmm i clocked 12K kms and still planing for such real adventure
Manoj, you have reinitiated some thoughts in my mind.
I have just been to remote places, driven my adventure in fields, but never on the hills.
Keep going boss.

Last edited by hrsraghav : 5th August 2008 at 13:30.
Old 5th August 2008, 14:38   #35
Team-BHP Support

Wow this baby has really been to some swell places. Compared to what I have seen of Leh highway, Spiti is indeed more challenging. Could you tell me how many hours drive from Chandertal to Manali?
Old 5th August 2008, 18:09   #36
BHPian

Amazing experience. I can only dream of such a trip in my adventure one day...
Old 5th August 2008, 18:52   #37
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant pics Manoj! Really nice to see the 'adevnture' in its element.
Old 5th August 2008, 20:35   #38
BHPian

Hey thanks all of you! It is really encouraging to read such nice comments... you all have really convinced me to post a few more pictures here! ..though after this I will try to post a pictorial travelogue in the correct section.

@ tsk1979, the drive from Manali to Chandratal takes approximately 5 to 6 hours.

One more (driving) test note on the Adventure, this car is great fun to chuck sideways on gravel! For all you Adventure owners who have not tried it..you don't need any of the handbrake or left foot braking techniques, just accelerate into a curve in full throttle, chuck the steering into the apex and tap on the brakes, the rear swings neatly (let it swing as much as the road allows), reverse lock to straighten and continue to accelerate..simple. It goes without saying...PLEASE don't try this on a public road, find an empty ground to practice it!

Ok, enough of gyan..now for the pics

The first 2 juxtapose the Adventure against the mighty Himalayas.

The 3rd is of the road that climbs to Kunzum La from the Spiti valley. The giants looming behind are the peaks of the Chandra Bhaga Range (CB 12 and 13)

The 4th is of the road in the Chandra Valley in Lahaul, while heading from Rohtang La to Kunzum La.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Adventure 1.6 Sport in the Himalayas..19 months/19,000 km report-copy-dsc01220.jpg  

Fiat Adventure 1.6 Sport in the Himalayas..19 months/19,000 km report-copy-dsc01114.jpg  

Fiat Adventure 1.6 Sport in the Himalayas..19 months/19,000 km report-copy-dsc01211.jpg  

Fiat Adventure 1.6 Sport in the Himalayas..19 months/19,000 km report-copy-dsc01117.jpg  

Old 6th August 2008, 10:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

Boss, even most of my biker friends take easily 8-10 hours for Chandertaal. 5-6 hours? :-O I can see how your driving technique helps you shave off the HOURS!

I would personally budget some 10 hours in a car given sane starts from manali and traffic piroblem.
Old 6th August 2008, 10:13   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Manoj, Fiat parts are hard to source. Do you carry any necessary spares with you as a backup?

Again, great pictures!
Old 6th August 2008, 10:19   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj Biswas View Post
One more (driving) test note on the Adventure, this car is great fun to chuck sideways on gravel! For all you Adventure owners who have not tried it..you don't need any of the handbrake or left foot braking techniques, just accelerate into a curve in full throttle, chuck the steering into the apex and tap on the brakes, the rear swings neatly (let it swing as much as the road allows), reverse lock to straighten and continue to accelerate..simple. It goes without saying...PLEASE don't try this on a public road, find an empty ground to practice it!
Just a little bit on that, although experienced it on the Weekend. You dont need the brakes to slide sideways, just turn away from the turn just before the turn, the moment you feel the weight shift, turn hard back in, on gravel the weekend did this like a dream, so should the adventure, the heavier tail gives it the pendulum effect.
Old 6th August 2008, 13:07   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Boss, even most of my biker friends take easily 8-10 hours for Chandertaal. 5-6 hours? :-O I can see how your driving technique helps you shave off the HOURS!

I would personally budget some 10 hours in a car given sane starts from manali and traffic piroblem.
I calculated adding the following: Manali - Rohtang: 1.5 hours, Rohtang - Gramphoo: 45 minutes, Gramphoo - Batal: 2 hours, Batal - Chandratal: 1 hour. Add another 45 minutes for chai and pics = 6 hours. I normally do it in 5 hours.

But you are right Phamilyman, this is pure driving time and that too at a decently brisk pace. I forget that I never stop at the regular places (Rohtang, Marhi etc.), as I am not a tourist in these areas. And I also always leave Manali before sunrise to avoid the traffic, so I almost always get a clean run. The traffic in Manali and Rohtang can be a huge issue and can easily add 2 more hours to this drive.

Though bikes are usually much slower than cars on this stretch, as a tourist rightfully enjoying the drive and all it offers..8 to 10 hours is a comfortable estimate.
Old 6th August 2008, 13:36   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Manoj, Fiat parts are hard to source. Do you carry any necessary spares with you as a backup?
Not really GTO, just carry a puncture repair kit, a foot pump, a basic tool kit, adhesives (tape and seal), spare wiring, fuses and a fuel can. Beyond this there is very little one can repair in this car oneself.

The one essential thing I carry in the Adventure is a sleeping bag and a camping mattress. If one gets stuck with a breakdown in the mountains, just fold the rear seat all the way and you get a perfect double bed! Happily in your plush private metal tent till the 24-hour helpline (or the Indian Army!) arrives...

Quote:
Just a little bit on that, although experienced it on the Weekend. You dont need the brakes to slide sideways, just turn away from the turn just before the turn, the moment you feel the weight shift, turn hard back in, on gravel the weekend did this like a dream, so should the adventure, the heavier tail gives it the pendulum effect.
Ah 1100D..the technique you mention reflects shades of the famed 'Scandinavian Flick'. Though that is a more advanced technique and can easily throw off a first-timer..

I guess the application of brakes would be dependent on the entry speed into the curve. If I don't tap the break, the oversteer gets too pronounced, resulting in an eventual slower corner speed..I wonder why...does your Siena Weekend have a 1600 petrol under the hood too?

Last edited by Manoj Biswas : 6th August 2008 at 13:47.
Old 6th August 2008, 15:26   #44
BHPian

Fantastic pictures Manoj, brings back good memories.
Old 11th August 2008, 17:51   #45
BHPian

To break the monotony of cold desert landscapes, thought I'd post some pics of the black beast covered in pure white, in the Shimla winters. The pics are from a phone, so please pardon the quality

In fact, I was equally impressed by the grip the Adventure displayed on snow, it would easily hold and pull in very slippery conditions. If I had a wish, it would be to have a 4-wheel option on this car..!
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Adventure 1.6 Sport in the Himalayas..19 months/19,000 km report-dsc00100.jpg  

Fiat Adventure 1.6 Sport in the Himalayas..19 months/19,000 km report-dsc00101.jpg  

Manoj Biswas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks