Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2012, 13:43   #316
BHPian

Re: Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
I encountered the dreaded fluctuating rpm problem just when I was about to leave for my hometown for a 2 week vacation.
JVH, my 2003 GTX has also started with fluctuating RPM, in B2B traffic, the RPM fall to 200-300 and car stalls when I try to move. I have to revv up the RPM to around 1100 before moving. In an open road or modesty traffic I dont feel any issue. This fluctuation starts after 10-15 mins of driving in the B2B traffic and the temperature crosses halfway mark.

Quote:
The latest damage is the ignition coil. The car was not at all picking up between 1200-2200 rpm giving a sputtering sound and jerking. When hooked to the analyzer, it showed that the ignition coil had gone bust. Replaced with a brand new one. The car now feels like its on steeroids. All good. Hope there are no more surprises.Rs. 4500 including labour.
Facing this issue as well, the car doesn't move at all in between 1000-2200 RPM have to cross 2500 RPM for the car to move and in between the car gives a jerk as if the fuel was cut off or it was switched off and then recover to move again.

Which mechanic did you go to for the analyzer?

I am planning to change from Venkatesh in Bangalore as all the problems starts after he does the servicing eachtime.

None of these problems were there before he did the servicing on 4th may and alternator bearing on 13th may.

On May 15 got this things done from him and problems have compounded now.

Alternator Bearing (2) 784
Regulater switch assembly 1460
Power Steering oil 80
Alternator refitting charges 900
Gear lever bed 1184
Gear lever fitting charges 700

total 5108

The problems only increases everytime I go to him. Looking for an alternative and solution to these issues

Regards
Old 4th June 2012, 16:05   #317
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
JVH, my 2003 GTX has also started with fluctuating RPM, in B2B traffic, the RPM fall to 200-300 and car stalls when I try to move. I have to revv up the RPM to around 1100 before moving. In an open road or modesty traffic I dont feel any issue. This fluctuation starts after 10-15 mins of driving in the B2B traffic and the temperature crosses halfway mark.
You might have already observed from my previous posts that in my case the culprit was MAP sensor. It may be the same for you too but do get it checked through an analyzer either from Prerana or Concorde Motors to confirm on the issue.

Quote:

Facing this issue as well, the car doesn't move at all in between 1000-2200 RPM have to cross 2500 RPM for the car to move and in between the car gives a jerk as if the fuel was cut off or it was switched off and then recover to move again.
Again hooking upto the analyzer will give you a clear idea but it should not come as a surprise if throttle body is the culprit.

Quote:
Which mechanic did you go to for the analyzer?

I am planning to change from Venkatesh in Bangalore as all the problems starts after he does the servicing eachtime.

None of these problems were there before he did the servicing on 4th may and alternator bearing on 13th may.
I always go to Venkatesh. We both went to Concorde Motors, Mysore road for the analyzer. Where do you stay? If near whitefield/Marathalli, you can try KHT. Lot of my friends have good things to say about them. As far as independent mechanics are concerned only Venkatesh and Hariprasad are considered good in Bangalore. I stand with all the mechanics when I get the job done. He appears informal and casual but in terms of output, he has done the job so far. Since you are having bad luck with him, suggest you try one of the T-F.A.S.S and let us know how it goes.
Old 4th June 2012, 16:09   #318
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you to try Concorde "begur/Hosur Road" and contact Vijay(SA), i have had very good expeirence with this place, used to drive from Marathalli to Concorde.

Quote:

The problems only increases everytime I go to him. Looking for an alternative and solution to these issues

Regards
Old 6th June 2012, 11:56   #319
BHPian

Quote:
I always go to Venkatesh. We both went to Concorde Motors, Mysore road for the analyzer. Where do you stay? If near whitefield/Marathalli, you can try KHT.
I stay in Hulimavu on Bannerghatta Road, so will go Concorde at Silk Board and try to plug in the analyser. I am planning to spend sometime on the car next week, will keep you posted

Venkatesh is very good actually, but I feels there is too much rush and too many things going on his head.

He changed the gear bedding, even though I had changed it in December and charged me more than Concorde. There is no improvement in gear change. These are the things which is making me think again

OT : I remember, when I was in college, I used to go to BMW workshop on krumbigal Road for my RX135 and RD350. The mechanic, Yusufbhai suddenly started charging exorbitant price for spares and service. Later learnt that his Daugther's wedding was fixed and he is short of cash. Kept away still the wedding was done. Venkatesh is trying to shift his garage or buy some other garage i believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
I would suggest you to try Concorde "begur/Hosur Road" and contact Vijay(SA), i have had very good expeirence with this place, used to drive from Marathalli to Concorde.
Had been to concorde when it was greentracks, will try again as its nearer to my house.

Regards
Old 25th June 2012, 17:31   #320
BHPian

On 20th, was returning as usual at around 10:30 PM and was around 2 KM away from home on Bannerghatta Road. There were a couple of Cabs which were taking U Turn near AGN Mantap, so slowed down and was moving at 30 KMPH on left side of the road.

Suddenly heard a huge sound as if I have run over a glass bottle and felt something fell down from the engine bay. There was huge sound from the engine bay and vibration. Pulled over the car on to the footpath and immediate feeling was fan belt or some belt going kaput.

Got down of the car and looked under the car, felt that few of parts were visible which was unusual. So removed the hood and was shocked to see the entire engine tilting to the right as if the support has fallen down.

Walked down the road where I first heard the sound and found a big bolt on the road. Now I had doubt on the engine bedding.

The car started normally and I cruised at 10 KPMH in the second gear to home. Next day the mechanic came home and confirmed that the right side (near front right wheel) had fallen off. So he tighten the bolt back and drove the car slowly back to garage. Got it fixed in a day.

I am really worried that engine bedding can fall off so easily even after maintaining the car well. I don't have trust to car the car on high way anymore

Regards
Old 25th June 2012, 21:27   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda

The car started normally and I cruised at 10 KPMH in the second gear to home. Next day the mechanic came home and confirmed that the right side (near front right wheel) had fallen off. So he tighten the bolt back and drove the car slowly back to garage. Got it fixed in a day.

I am really worried that engine bedding can fall off so easily even after maintaining the car well. I don't have trust to car the car on high way anymore

Regards
What is engine bedding? Do you mean the engine mounts?

Engine mounts can go bad after such mileage. But engine do make a lot of noise before mounts go total kaput.
Old 25th June 2012, 21:53   #322
BHPian

Quote:

Regards
Hugely unusual. Looks like an after effect of the previous garage visit and a serious refitting issue, if at all.
Old 26th June 2012, 17:51   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbookie View Post
What is engine bedding? Do you mean the engine mounts?

Engine mounts can go bad after such mileage. But engine do make a lot of noise before mounts go total kaput.
Yes, engine mounts.

There was no issues at all, like vibration, noise or anything. Just came out of blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Hugely unusual. Looks like an after effect of the previous garage visit and a serious refitting issue, if at all.
Even I think the same, as I had got the alternator switch and bearing changed few weeks ago and the engine bedding was very close. The mechanic din't charge me anything for the work though.

Regards
Old 26th June 2012, 22:35   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda

Yes, engine mounts.

There was no issues at all, like vibration, noise or anything. Just came out of blue.

Even I think the same, as I had got the alternator switch and bearing changed few weeks ago and the engine bedding was very close. The mechanic din't charge me anything for the work though.

Regards
Then the previous mechanic forgot to tighten it.

Hope everything is okay.
Old 6th August 2012, 11:42   #325
JVH
Senior - BHPian

The alternator was acting up and finally went bust. The battery wasn't getting charged when in motion due to that. Got it fixed over a month ago. It cost me around 4.5K including labour.

Drove to Chickmagalur this weekend and it was a great drive with all those twisties where this car really excels. Had a fantastic time driving and relaxing. No surprises during the drive but just noticed the rpm fluctuating when in idle. I just cleaned the dirty air filter after reaching and all was fine :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms-dsc_0065.jpg  

Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms-dsc_0210.jpg  

Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms-dsc_0354.jpg  

JVH is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 17:03   #326
BHPian

@ JVH: Your car looks good. Tumba chennagide!

I've always wanted to own a Palio 1.6, never got round to it. Did settle for a 1.2 for a few years but sold it recently for a good price. I've just been given a Polo 1.6 as a company car, but it's just not the same...

Palio 1.6s can be had pretty cheap around here, but it's hard to find a decent and unabused example. BTW, didn't mean to hijack your thread.
coloneljasi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 14:04   #327
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Colonel! With compliments, you surely are not hijacking the thread

The only thing I miss in this car is the modern creative comforts and interior styling which every new car seems to be coming with. It doesn't help when my Mother comes to know that my peers/juniors are driving around in XUVs and Civics ;-). I must also say that I've been more or less fortunate in my ownership experience having access to a good mechanic and spare parts. Otherwise, not every Palio owner has a positive story to tell.
JVH is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 15:26   #328
Senior - BHPian

Jayant, Good to see you having fun the the "red beast"

Talking about the modern, whats better then a Ducati

Quote:
Thanks Colonel! With compliments, you surely are not hijacking the thread

The only thing I miss in this car is the modern creative comforts and interior styling which every new car seems to be coming with. It doesn't help when my Mother comes to know that my peers/juniors are driving around in XUVs and Civics ;-). I must also say that I've been more or less fortunate in my ownership experience having access to a good mechanic and spare parts. Otherwise, not every Palio owner has a positive story to tell.
lohithrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 00:47   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
  • 3 models-1.1 SL, SLE and SLX in white, black, dark green, dark blue and grey launched
  • 1.6 sport launched in formula red, magnesium grey and black.
  • 1.3 palio multijet diesel launched in march 2008 in 3 models-SD, SDE and SDX in 5 colours-black, white, grey, red and blue.
I remember checking out a Black Palio 1.6 in 2010 with my father when he was looking to buy something for my mother. Unfortunately, mom vetoed that car and consequently, Dad had to get home a Swift ZXI. Not that I hate the Swift but at times I often sit back and rethink as to how it was a kind of a missed opportunity for us.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks