Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2011, 12:25   #301
JVH
Senior - BHPian

re: Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Jayant, get it done from Raj. he work is good and it should cost about 18k
Yup, I had him in mind. Will call him and check out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post

Actually, im yet to install a freeflow on my car. Many of my friends have S10's with FFE's from different companies, so just deciding on which one!

In other news, i bought another S10! So will try different FFE design for both cars! Hehe!!

I have driven an S10 with stock headers and just an end can, it sound ok, because the stock engine note is good, but performance gain is nil. And it costs as much as an FFE, i would say FFE anyday.
Lol! Looks like you have been smitten by the S10 bug. I envy you

Do keep me updated on the FFE. Too bad you are in Cochin else we could have gone for it together.
Old 30th November 2011, 12:43   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Lol! Looks like you have been smitten by the S10 bug. I envy you

Do keep me updated on the FFE. Too bad you are in Cochin else we could have gone for it together.
Hehe! Thanks! The feeling that i have two identical cars is just sinking in though!

Im from cochin, the car is in Chennai. Still deciding whether to get the FFE from Raj or from Coimbatore.

I'll just post my views on different FFe's, based on my driving experience.

1) Automech- The most popular FE for the palio. And undeniably, the WORST. Its makes the car sound like someone is drilling thru concrete! Engine becomes feels more free than stock. Life of the product is bad, end car breaking off just after a year is common, so are leaks from the mid pipes. No matter how much you tell them to 'customize', you will get the same thing!

2) Raj- Exhausts by Shabbir are probably the best sounding in the country, presently. It sounds like a proper Tuner car, and you will love pushing it. High revs are pure music. But, it is also very loud, deep and bassy. No matter how quiet you tell him to make it, it will still be on the noisier side. The low end will suffer quite a bit, but mid and top end will be good. There will be a bit of vibrations too. Life is average, with end can being a weak point, in some cars.

3) Coimbatore- It is done by a guy, popularly known as 'Exhaust Bhai'. He is an expert on FFE's especially for rally cars. he used to make for leela when he was in coimbatore, and it is said he does it for RRP too. But i had got an FFE from RRP for the OHC Vtec, which sounded horrible.

Performance is fantastic, especially low and mid end. Sound can be customized too. But it will always be a rally car like, high treble sound. Not a patch on Raj exhaust note tho.

Good life for the product too. A friend has it for over 4 years on his OCH, with just a lil issues in the end can.

These are just my personal opinions. hope it helps.

Quote:
Jayant, get it done from Raj. he work is good and it should cost about 18k
Raj quoted 14K for my S10.

Last edited by JayD : 30th November 2011 at 12:45.
JayD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 12:45   #303
Senior - BHPian

Seems like he charges more for Adventure?? last month he quoted me this, if he had quoted 14 i would have happily gone for it:(

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st May 2012 at 10:23. Reason: Full quote not needed.
Old 30th November 2011, 13:50   #304
Senior - BHPian

Re: Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms

Quote:
Seems like he charges more for Adventure?? last month he quoted me this, if he had quoted 14 i would have happily gone for it:(

Could be, maybe due to the extra length.
Old 8th December 2011, 12:50   #305
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT, but i found a nice website which provides information on Palio Rubber Parts with part numbers.

Click: www.parulrubber.com/product-palio-114.htm

Link Source: PUG
planet_rocker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 16:55   #306
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Got the car serviced today. It was lying more or less unused after my last update. The only issue was the injector light coming on and fluctuating rpm at idle. The culprit was the rpm sensor which is now replaced and the problem's solved. Routine oil and filter change, coolant change, and other inspection jobs were carried out.

Did not get the opportunity to explore FFE. The leather inside also needs a change. These 2 will be the points to ponder in the next few days.
JVH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 09:10   #307
JVH
Senior - BHPian

I encountered the dreaded fluctuating rpm problem just when I was about to leave for my hometown for a 2 week vacation. All packed and ready early in the morning, I started the car and just by the sound of the idle, it was clear something was wrong. The idle was erratic and the engine was getting shut after a few seconds. I sensed the culprit as the recently replaced rpm sensor or cut/bitten injector coils. Called my mechanic early in the morning. He says don't worry, continue the journey and all will be fine. Nothing was fine after that. I drove in that condition, only to be royally looted. I had to shell out almost Rs. 6000/- this time for fuel while the usual cost would be Rs. 2500/-. It was clear now that the fuel was not getting properly burnt.

As soon as I reached my hometown, got freshened up and went to a local mechanic which our family driver located. I got him connected to my Bangalore mechanic and they started the diagnosis. A wire was cut in the rpm sensor and quite a lot of carbon was deposited. We cleaned it and wound a tape after working on the wire. The idle was now smooth but around 1000-1200 rpm. We cleaned it once more and the injection coil as well. Problem solved. Damages 150 bucks.

Another work done was re-filling of the AC gas. 1600 bucks.
JVH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 22:32   #308
BHPian

Quote:
I encountered the dreaded fluctuating rpm problem just when I was about to leave for my hometown for a 2 week vacation.

As soon as I reached my hometown, got freshened up and went to a local mechanic which our family driver located. I got him connected to my Bangalore mechanic and they started the diagnosis. A wire was cut in the rpm sensor and quite a lot of carbon was deposited. We cleaned it and wound a tape after working on the wire. The idle was now smooth but around 1000-1200 rpm. We cleaned it once more and the injection coil as well. Problem solved. Damages 150 bucks.

Another work done was re-filling of the AC gas. 1600 bucks.
Hello JVH,

could you please put up a picture of where this RPM sensor is if possible? i have this as an intermittent issue with my car especially in the rains. and now, with Bangalore getting the heavy rainfall that it is, i would like to check this and fix if found to be a problem.

the reason i would like a photo is because i plan a DIY on this and a pic would be really helpful to ensure i dont clean something i'm not supposed to
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:29   #309
Senior - BHPian

RPM Sensor is located below the engine bay near the crank, unlike in 1.2 engines, where it is very easily accessable.

It is a thick long black wire. unfortunately, i dont have a pic. No wait!! you are in luck

Here it is (post number 197 - first pic)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2100198
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:47   #310
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Have marked it using the same pic which Surya pointed out. You need to remove the sensor from the socket, blow compressed air and clean with oil. Blow air on the socket as well (connecting the engine). If there is a lot of carbon deposit, better to take it to Mechanic because it will be difficult to get rid of it by ourselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms-rpm-sensor.jpg  

JVH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:08   #311
BHPian

@Planet_Rocker, JVH, thank you for the pic. will get around to doing this in the weekend.

My car has also done 78,000 kms now and the suspension clank is getting on my nerves. Got an update from Vinit_metchant about the cause. got to get that part checked ASAP. also, the pipe holding the air filter in my car broke so got to get that replaced/fabricated also. planning on going to TDi racing in Jakkur for this. anyone here have any experience with them?

Cheers and drive safe,
Kiran.
Old 10th May 2012, 08:25   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Have marked it using the same pic which Surya pointed out. You need to remove the sensor from the socket, blow compressed air and clean with oil. Blow air on the socket as well (connecting the engine). If there is a lot of carbon deposit, better to take it to Mechanic because it will be difficult to get rid of it by ourselves.
Thats a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor not the crank a.k.a RPM sensor. Its obvious you got the black soot in the exhaust when the MAP wire got cut off. The system relies on TPS and pre determined MAP tables which always run rich to avoid engine damage.
vijaycool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 11:33   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Thats a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor not the crank a.k.a RPM sensor. Its obvious you got the black soot in the exhaust when the MAP wire got cut off. The system relies on TPS and pre determined MAP tables which always run rich to avoid engine damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
RPM Sensor is located below the engine bay near the crank, unlike in 1.2 engines, where it is very easily accessable.

It is a thick long black wire. unfortunately, i dont have a pic. No wait!! you are in luck

Here it is (post number 197 - first pic)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2100198
Quote:
Have marked it using the same pic which Surya pointed out.
Ooops! Jayanth - read your post just now. That is the MAP sensor as pointed out by Vijay.

I pointed to the black wire in the First picture that is the RPM / Crank sensor wire.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 10th May 2012 at 11:36.
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 13:46   #314
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the correction. I recall now that the mechanic had just mentioned sensor and it was me who got confused with RPM/MAP.

BTW, it was the MAP sensor which was diagonised and cleaned.
Old 4th June 2012, 10:29   #315
JVH
Senior - BHPian

The latest damage is the ignition coil. The car was not at all picking up between 1200-2200 rpm giving a sputtering sound and jerking. When hooked to the analyzer, it showed that the ignition coil had gone bust. Replaced with a brand new one. The car now feels like its on steeroids. All good. Hope there are no more surprises.

Rs. 4500 including labour.
JVH is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks