Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 18:42   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Since yesterday morning, the car upon start is idling @1000 rpm. No issues during traffic stops where the idle is around 600-800 rpm.

It is only during the start irrespective of time. Is this normal?
i haven't noticed this in my car - its only during cold start that the car idles at 1000 and comes down to 850 +/-

when it idles at 1000 (assuming car is warm) -- switch off and restart - see if it occurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikn View Post
Jayanth,

As I have noticed, based on the atmospheric temperature, the RPM will be higher if it is very cold and normal(abt 800) during summer days. I have noticed this in my car too.
i thought it had something to do with altitude?? - but then again that shouldn't be the case when the car warms up after sometime.

Quote:
Am putting 3M sound deadening product on my car. The floor part is done and am yet to get the door pads and other places to be covered. Venkatesh was busy last week. promised me to get it done this week some time.
do share some pics.
Old 5th October 2010, 18:53   #182
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I have noticed, based on the atmospheric temperature, the RPM will be higher if it is very cold and normal(abt 800) during summer days. I have noticed this in my car too.
I normally leave home @6.30am and nowadays Bangalore is cold too. So, may be this could be the reason. What surprises me is it was absolutely normal during traffic stops. This evening when I started from the office, it was again showing the idle @ 1000 rpm.

Quote:

Am putting 3M sound deadening product on my car. The floor part is done and am yet to get the door pads and other places to be covered. Venkatesh was busy last week. promised me to get it done this week some time.

Will try to get some pics and post it during this weekend.
Why on earth a sound deadening product on a GTX Ravi? Don't like the free revving Italian roar anymore?

Quote:

Will try to get some pics and post it during this weekend.
Please do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
i thought it had something to do with altitude?? - but then again that shouldn't be the case when the car warms up after sometime.
Surya, what's altitude's role in this? Temperature difference?
Old 5th October 2010, 18:58   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Surya, what's altitude's role in this? Temperature difference?
Uhm! not really - i was thinking about altitude / atmospheric pressure

If it is idling at 1000 during cold start (lets say gap of 7-8 hours) - then it is normal
Old 5th October 2010, 19:01   #184
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Uhm! not really - i was thinking about altitude / atmospheric pressure
Of course.

Quote:

If it is idling at 1000 during cold start (lets say gap of 7-8 hours) - then it is normal
Thought so, but wanted to check with fellow folks. Thanks!
Old 5th October 2010, 21:56   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Why on earth a sound deadening product on a GTX Ravi? Don't like the free revving Italian roar anymore?
Jayant,

The Sound deadening is not for the engine but for the vibrations and the external noise I hear from the outside and panels. Just thought of getting this done as am planning to keep it for few more years
Old 5th October 2010, 22:01   #186
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Sound deadening is not for the engine but for the vibrations and the external noise I hear from the outside and panels. Just thought of getting this done as am planning to keep it for few more years
Hmmm. I think I should check out the work too. When are you planning to head over to the workshop? If it works out, I'll try to come
Old 6th October 2010, 01:18   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm. I think I should check out the work too. When are you planning to head over to the workshop? If it works out, I'll try to come
Did either of you guys have any body panels repaired or replaced? if not, all FIAT cars come with the Wuerth damping already done! so why are you wanting to get it done again?

hope this helps!
Kiran.
Old 6th October 2010, 07:46   #188
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer919 View Post
Did either of you guys have any body panels repaired or replaced? if not, all FIAT cars come with the Wuerth damping already done! so why are you wanting to get it done again?

hope this helps!
Kiran.
Kiran - I'm curious to see this work done because its first of a kind I've heard of in the GTX. I too don't know what kind of vibrations Ravi is talking about. Perhaps he can clarify.

And Kiran if I remember right yours is a relatively new car and ours have clocked more 85000 kms (Correct me if I'm wrong Ravi), so if there is something which can be useful by preventive maintenance, I see no harm in having a look at it. BTW, I may or may not go for this but can mark in the checklist when the car crosses 1 lakh mark
Old 6th October 2010, 10:01   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jayant,

My GTX is in for denting + painting. Since it was made in 2002, I have decided to do the complete underbody treatment and go in for a 'pitch' treatment in all doors, body panels etc. Should help in preventing corrosion besides making the cabin cooler and quieter. Next on will be the sound damping sheets.

Cheers
Old 6th October 2010, 10:29   #190
Senior - BHPian

Jayant on the "idling" @ 1000 during the cold start, this is very normal, i see the same in my car too. it is to get the car to the engine to required temperature... in my OHC it used to go up to 1500 and later settle below 1000.

Underbody treatment should be good, i got it done few months back...
Old 6th October 2010, 10:43   #191
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I have decided to do the complete underbody treatment and go in for a 'pitch' treatment in all doors, body panels etc. Should help in preventing corrosion besides making the cabin cooler and quieter.

Cheers
Could you please enlighten us on the 'pitch' treatment plz? Is it a part of the underbody treatment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Jayant on the "idling" @ 1000 during the cold start, this is very normal, i see the same in my car too. it is to get the car to the engine to required temperature... in my OHC it used to go up to 1500 and later settle below 1000.
Thanks, no issues then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post

Underbody treatment should be good, i got it done few months back...
Did you also go for the 'pitch' treatment? And how much did it cost?
Old 6th October 2010, 10:54   #192
Senior - BHPian

Pitch treatment is 'alkatra (in bengali)' treatment or that Tar kinda thing which is applied to arrest rust. the same is applied on roof top of houses to arrest leaks.

I have got it done in the Padmini (underbody / doors / wheel wells)
Old 6th October 2010, 10:59   #193
Senior - BHPian

Jayant, they used some imported stuff, yes it was thick black paint which was applied both under the body and also on the floor, they removed the seats and gave couple of coats...

it costed me 5k in total.
Old 6th October 2010, 11:43   #194
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Surya and Lohith.

Is there any ballpark figure (kms) for this treatment to be recommended? Same for Sound deadening? I guess you guys are doing for preventive measures...

My car is neither showing any visible signs of rust except maybe the silencer nor its producing any unwanted noises or rattles. So, I guess I'll hold on for a while.
Old 6th October 2010, 11:54   #195
Senior - BHPian

Jayant, my car had some rusts on the flooring etc so i got that cleaned up and got this done. it also works to cut the noise for some extent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks