Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2008, 10:13   #61
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
Check the website, there is a running scroll which says contact your dealer for special prices on embera! Quite clear, isn't it? You can get hefty discounts.
You mean that 13L OTR price was for Embera CRDI... No dealer here is giving that 3.7L discount.

@Elantra.Rules
Could you please help me with the contact number of the dealer. I dont mind traveling to Delhi and buying it there if I can manage ~4Lac discount that you got.
Old 25th September 2008, 12:23   #62
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on you new Embera Rohit. The car looks beautiful and your choice of colour is perfect. White suits it to the T. The rear space is incredible and I'm sure its damn comfortable as well. Though I have never been a lover of Hyundai cars, I am very fond of their CRDi engines and have grown a liking for them. That six speed tranny must be fun to drive. If it's the Embera it has to be the CRDi. I heard they have an AT option now as well. I want to TD that. Will you be driving the car yourself or will be chauffered around?
Old 26th September 2008, 16:04   #63
BHPian

Thanks guys, going on first long trip

Thanks folks for the compliments.

Dippy, I was told that Embera CRDi AT is discontinued, while petrol AT is still on sale. I drive the car myself and might prefer a drive in city, however I would not trust driver to drive carefully in the city. On Highways nobody is taking that wheel off my hand!!

Today we are going on our first long lookend trip(400km) with whole family in the new car. Since Odometer still has 260kms I will be keeping the taco needle below 2.3k to 3k rpm range. I think on expressway the car will do around 120km/h in 6th gear at 2500rpm. Will post the update once back from the trip.
Old 27th September 2008, 09:24   #64
BHPian

Good Luck..!! we are waiting for your long trip review. lol 5 gears for acceleration and 6th is the overdrived.
Old 29th September 2008, 19:30   #65
vij
BHPian

I took a test drive of the Sonata Embera. Unfortunatey the TD car was in a very shabby state and had supposedly undergone a major accident. I need some help Rohit.

1. I found the Turbo lag significant. The vehice didnt seem t have any acceeration at swer speeds. The sales guy told me that I was driving a battered lemon and hence the problem. Whats your opinion?

2. What about the engine sound... The insulation is superb and its quite silent inside but the engine sound is considerable. Whats your take on it?

3. Is the steering in the Embera CRDI light at high speeds? Thats scary!
Old 1st October 2008, 22:57   #66
Senior - BHPian

Sonata, as a product, is one of the best efforts ever made by Hyundai.

but their marketing team has not given due success to it.

when i was in Belgium, I travelled around for one full day in this car and the comfort it offered as amazing. Acres of back seat space, nice 2.0 CRDi engine, 6-speed. what else do you want?

here's the pic of that taxi:
Attached Thumbnails
First Embera CRDi owership experience on Team-BHP EDIT: 2 years, 28,000 kms update-img-283.jpg  

Last edited by sidindica : 1st October 2008 at 22:58.
Old 2nd October 2008, 13:59   #67
BHPian

First long trip experience

Just back from my first 500km trip to Alibag, Kashid (Costal region near Mumbai) in Embera CRDi. We started in the evening from Pune with the route Pune – Mumbai Expressway- Khopoli – Pen – Alibag – Kashid. I was taking it easy in my acceleration with light foot on the gas. I am used to First 40 kms on expressway where the road is bit noisy due to cement road. Compared to Getz or Scorpio the road noise was significantly lesser also the surface was smoothened very well. Had a car pretty full with 5 adults and two kids with all the 540 liters of boot packed with 3 days worth luggage and extra kids stuff. I think we stuffed more in the boot than usual scorpio boot. In Scorp you can pack lot more but you suffer lack of rear visibility which isn’t the case here. Also one nice thing about the boot is that the hinges do not protrude inside the boot when you close. That way you can stuff the boot as much as you can and not worry about lid closing.
I changed the gears around 2200rpm throughout the trip. 100kph came at around 5th gear at 2k rpm. On expressway I shifted to 6th that’s when the RPM dropped to 2k for a speed of 120kph , the taco moved to 2.2k at 130kph. I never pushed the new car beyond these speeds or anything beyond 2.5k rpm.
I found the 3rd gear most sweet one to move around on highways, while overtaking or accelerating. 3rd was effective at 1.7krpm at around 30km/h all the way till 80kph at around 2.2k rpm. On non expressway roads I never shifted to 6th as 5th was more than enough (RPM already at 2k , I did not want to lug the new engine). One irritant was, if you drop your speed too low say (15 kph in 3rd and around 5kph in 2nd) the engine just stalls. It happened twice with me. Usually this happens with petrol engine but never seen it in Diesel engines (Qualis, Scorpio experience). That’s when I adapted to downshift to lower gear (1st crawling traffic). Breaks were very much to my expectation. I could cut down my speed rapidly when sudden speed breaker appears out of nowhere. The car scraped once on very largish speed breaker even at very slow speed. On the way back I attacked the same speed breaker with slight angle and the problem was resolved. Stock lights are good enough for night driving, visibility at night was very good. Horn is bit hard for my liking. Speedo is accurate with 3% deviation. Confirmed it with GPS.
Handling was amazing compared to Getz, at 30kph speed limit turns near lonavala that I usually do at around 65kph in Getz, I was able to do it at around 105kph comfortably, no body roll, no tyre slipping.
With heavy load (5+2) people and packed boot, with AC blasting 100% at 20 degrees, Speeds in the range of 70-90 on highway and 130kph on expressway she returned 12km/l with tank full method.
Overall this has been one of the most comfortable trip we have done so far.
Old 2nd October 2008, 14:09   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
I took a test drive of the Sonata Embera. Unfortunatey the TD car was in a very shabby state and had supposedly undergone a major accident. I need some help Rohit.

1. I found the Turbo lag significant. The vehice didnt seem t have any acceeration at swer speeds. The sales guy told me that I was driving a battered lemon and hence the problem. Whats your opinion?

2. What about the engine sound... The insulation is superb and its quite silent inside but the engine sound is considerable. Whats your take on it?

3. Is the steering in the Embera CRDI light at high speeds? Thats scary!
I test drove Petrol and Diesel , both the cars had around 36k on them used by some personal user, these were not real test drive cars. The cars were dirty and example of how beige leather interior will look if not taken care of.
1. Turbo lag is there below 1700rpm, Use a simple rule in your test drive, never shift gear till you hit 2800/3000rpm.
2. My new car is MUCH silent compared to the test drive car. But I believer Hyundai CRDI engines will get noisy outside the car at 30/40k. Hyundai makes no attempt to add sound deadning to their hood. Compare the think material pasted to hood with Scorpio or Safari you will realize what I mean. I plan to add dynamat to bonet insides after a while. Inside the car is never a problem.
3. I am suprised, I though the steering is too hard at low speed and does not get any lighter at higher speeds. It might be a case of bad car alignment or balancing with your test drive car. Max I have done is 130k in this car and the car was steady as rock (bit boaring ) at that speed, no light handle or anything.
Old 3rd October 2008, 12:34   #69
BHPian

Nice one mate.
Guess what? Even my Elantra CRDi and Accent 1.6L is excellent in 3rd gear. I seriously don't know what hyundai did.. but elantra crdi's 3rd gear and accent's 3rd gear is a real killer, especially Elantra. Both the cars, sonata crdi and elantra crdi share the same engine but different turbo and transmission and ofcourse ECU will be different too.
Same with Verna CRDi too. Havnt driven the petrol verna so no comments.

Get your required service done, then hit the gas hard to check the real acceleration and top speed for it.
Old 3rd October 2008, 13:04   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
Nice one mate.
Guess what? Even my Elantra CRDi and Accent 1.6L is excellent in 3rd gear. I seriously don't know what hyundai did.. but elantra crdi's 3rd gear and accent's 3rd gear is a real killer, especially Elantra. Both the cars, sonata crdi and elantra crdi share the same engine but different turbo and transmission and ofcourse ECU will be different too.
Same with Verna CRDi too. Havnt driven the petrol verna so no comments.

Get your required service done, then hit the gas hard to check the real acceleration and top speed for it.
The engine characteristics of Embera and verna are very similar,infact magnum is also quite close,these cars easily start jerking in traffic if you try to hold a lower gear at mid revs(ive driven verna and embera a lot),they are not as good laura or elantra in traffic.

Last edited by .anshuman : 3rd October 2008 at 13:07.
Old 3rd October 2008, 15:33   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitrk View Post
On the way back I attacked the same speed breaker with slight angle and the problem was resolved. Stock lights are good enough for night driving, visibility at night was very good. Horn is bit hard for my liking.
Could you throw some light on the "slight angle" approach ? Scraping speed breakers is a common issue, but I havent found any solutions to that so far. What is the specification of the stock lights ? And the horn, is it sounding similar to Octavia ? Reply appreciated !
Old 3rd October 2008, 21:09   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
What is the specification of the stock lights ?
Projector lens on low beam and normal lens on high beam,both with halogens.
Old 4th October 2008, 06:40   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Could you throw some light on the "slight angle" approach ? Scraping speed breakers is a common issue, but I havent found any solutions to that so far. What is the specification of the stock lights ? And the horn, is it sounding similar to Octavia ? Reply appreciated !
Shajufx, This is really "old" days method. Typically when you pass over a very tall speedbreaker and your car is loaded to brim here is what happens. When front two wheels go over the speedbreaker on the other side due to car's weight and soft suspsnsion, the shocks gets depressed and your underbody touches the peak of the speedbreaker.

Now simple solution (you need empty roads for the same) is to turn your steering in last 1 feet towards left (or right). So now you will touch one front wheel at a time and when first wheel reaches on the other side second wheel is still up on the apex of the speedbreaker. So in the whole process your underbody never touches the speedbreaker.

Regarding the headlamps, the stock one 55W is much effective than my 100W in Getz. I guess it has to do with good quality reflector and projection setup. For the horn, it's ok. but the horn pasis bit hard for city driving purpose. You need to give small "beep" while passing two wheelers with no side view mirrors.
Old 4th October 2008, 11:00   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The engine characteristics of Embera and verna are very similar,infact magnum is also quite close,these cars easily start jerking in traffic if you try to hold a lower gear at mid revs(ive driven verna and embera a lot),they are not as good laura or elantra in traffic.
Don't know much about laura. Because i had driven it onlyonce and that too automatic ver. of laura. I had driven verna a lot and very few times sonata crdi and ofcourse elantra crdi with both have.

Elantra also have a turbo lag man.. Turbo kicks in at around 2k rpm again in elantra else it is sluggish below 2k rpm. Verna is not sluggish as compared to Elantra being the fact elantra is much heavier than Verna. Ofcourse 195 stock elantra tyres compared to 175 stock tyres makes a bit difference too.
But i have 205 tyres fitted for my baby elantra.

Last edited by Gangsta : 4th October 2008 at 11:02.
Old 4th October 2008, 11:57   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
Don't know much about laura. Because i had driven it onlyonce and that too automatic ver. of laura. I had driven verna a lot and very few times sonata crdi and ofcourse elantra crdi with both have.

Elantra also have a turbo lag man.. Turbo kicks in at around 2k rpm again in elantra else it is sluggish below 2k rpm. Verna is not sluggish as compared to Elantra being the fact elantra is much heavier than Verna. Ofcourse 195 stock elantra tyres compared to 175 stock tyres makes a bit difference too.
But i have 205 tyres fitted for my baby elantra.
I am not talking about the lag but the jerky throttle responses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks