Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2008, 17:28   #16
BHPian

Update Time!!

The Beast(or rather Rattle Snake) has covered 687 kms. The enigine is pretty much the same as the first day. Smooth and Silent.

Issues?

Slotting into the third gear now feels different. It feels as if there is a curvy path from fourth to third instead of the earlier straight path. The same is the case from second to third. The third gear slot now takes a curved path instead of 90 degree paths from second and fourth. Wonder what the issue is?

Rattles

The car is now rattle free. But the ride is harsh with every craters on the road being felt inside.

Headlights
As already mentioned, the headlights are really bad and it feels like parking lights compared to even my bike. Very bad.Checked the spare bulbs provided by Maruti and found that it is some local unheard of brand.Need to switch to Phillips. Wonder whether it is available with the Maruti Dealer itself, so that I can be safe on the Warranty.

New Discoveries

Found that the car has an Airbag indicator as well.Ofcourse it does not work. This makes it clear that Maruti has used the same instrument panel for all versions(except LXi and LDI)

ABS- Four Channel or Two Channel

I have read many posts which debated whether Swift has a two channel or four channel ABS. I have no answer to that but I found something interesting as I looked underneath the Swift, which I guess is related to ABS. The ABS mechanism to control the brakes is there in both the rear brakes as well. Attaching the pictures for a better idea. Now can anyone confirm whether the Swift has two channel or four channel ABS?
Attached Thumbnails
Bright Red Beast(Swift VDI ABS) - The Real Story Begins-dsc00646.jpg  

Bright Red Beast(Swift VDI ABS) - The Real Story Begins-dsc00647.jpg  

Bright Red Beast(Swift VDI ABS) - The Real Story Begins-dsc00648.jpg  

Old 24th November 2008, 10:22   #17
BHPian

finally!!a new update.
was so waiting for it.btw,which philips are you getting and does it require a relay or just fitting into the stock ones?
and what about cost?!
Old 24th November 2008, 22:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
finally!!a new update.
was so waiting for it.btw,which philips are you getting and does it require a relay or just fitting into the stock ones?
and what about cost?!
Hi Ariendj, I am planning to go for the Philips VisionPlus.It does not require Relays. Maybe a better version if I can find one

Which lamp type you need

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...g-here-30.html
Old 24th November 2008, 22:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj84 View Post
Update Time!!

The Beast(or rather Rattle Snake) has covered 687 kms. The enigine is pretty much the same as the first day. Smooth and Silent.

Issues?

Slotting into the third gear now feels different. It feels as if there is a curvy path from fourth to third instead of the earlier straight path. The same is the case from second to third. The third gear slot now takes a curved path instead of 90 degree paths from second and fourth. Wonder what the issue is?

Rattles

The car is now rattle free. But the ride is harsh with every craters on the road being felt inside.

Headlights
As already mentioned, the headlights are really bad and it feels like parking lights compared to even my bike. Very bad.Checked the spare bulbs provided by Maruti and found that it is some local unheard of brand.Need to switch to Phillips. Wonder whether it is available with the Maruti Dealer itself, so that I can be safe on the Warranty.

New Discoveries

Found that the car has an Airbag indicator as well.Ofcourse it does not work. This makes it clear that Maruti has used the same instrument panel for all versions(except LXi and LDI)

ABS- Four Channel or Two Channel

I have read many posts which debated whether Swift has a two channel or four channel ABS. I have no answer to that but I found something interesting as I looked underneath the Swift, which I guess is related to ABS. The ABS mechanism to control the brakes is there in both the rear brakes as well. Attaching the pictures for a better idea. Now can anyone confirm whether the Swift has two channel or four channel ABS?
The brand of bulbs supplied by maruti is "JAGAN" or something like that . The name is very funny.
Switch to higher wattage lamp. A philips 100/90 would do. Relay and wiring would be required.

The pictures of the underbody shows the sensors for ABS which sense tyre locking. Hope i am correct.
Old 24th November 2008, 23:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Just went through your thread about how you got your `Beast` and it felt like i was reading a movie script.
Glad to see that you finally got what you wanted.
A first car is really special.
Congrats.
Drive safe.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 24th November 2008 at 23:10.
Old 24th November 2008, 23:40   #21
BHPian

hey raj84..keep us updated on the philips lights!! and do give specifications of the bulbs used.
btw,thanks for the link..
Old 25th November 2008, 20:29   #22
BHPian

@live2drive: Yes the brand name was Jagan or something like that. It was a name of a person rather than a brand. So we can expect the quality of the headlight

Can you specify the model of the Philips bulb you are saying. I will buy that if it is around 1200rs and if the dealer themselves can do it(Warranty issues)

@faithless_1984: Thank you sir!!.. Even for me the purchase experience was a roller coaster ride

@ariendj: Sure will update you on the upgrade
Old 25th November 2008, 21:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

@Raj - Aren't you driving quite a bit too slow?

btw, the OEM is Halonix 60/55. Jagan is just the spare one! Why not figure out Osram Silverstar (350-370 a pair, 190 apiece)
Old 25th November 2008, 21:48   #24
BHPian

I have got a problem with my swift's brakes and i don't know if this is the right thread to tell this. Then again here goes. I took a new swift 2 weeks back and had no problems with the brakes. But now or a day or two whenever i apply the brakes i feel it is not sufficient enough to stop. I don't get any confidence and i feel the stopping distance have also increased. PLEASE HELP. The car has run around 1500 kms and the first service is over
Old 25th November 2008, 21:52   #25
BHPian

Quote:
@live2drive: Yes the brand name was Jagan or something like that. It was a name of a person rather than a brand. So we can expect the quality of the headlight

Can you specify the model of the Philips bulb you are saying. I will buy that if it is around 1200rs and if the dealer themselves can do it(Warranty issues)

Philips rally, not too sure though. I dont think the dealers will do it for you as anything above 60/55w is illegal.
Go for philips vision plus or Osram nightbreaker. They are of same wattage as the oem's are and there won't be any warranty issues.
Old 26th November 2008, 11:46   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
@Raj - Aren't you driving quite a bit too slow?

slow :for the speed or for the kms.
Old 30th November 2008, 22:55   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Hope it is just as what you have mentioned.Will get it checked

Any Idea as to what is the Ideal Tyre pressure on XM1+ 185/70/R14 on the Swift?

Hi Raj, Hope you are doing great and so do your beast as well.

regarding your query on tyre pressure i felt it would be opt if we keep a psi less than that of the mentioned tyre pressures for ZDI 185x70R14 as Maruti people would have calculated the same for Diesel engine..

I keep me tyre pressure wrt to the below pic-1 psi of Nitrogen gas which is available in IOC outlet in front of my house

hope this helps you..
Attached Thumbnails
Bright Red Beast(Swift VDI ABS) - The Real Story Begins-dsc00265.jpg  

Old 1st December 2008, 05:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

Just pop the hood and look at the ABS control unit. You can see four channels.

33F/31R used to work for me with same tyres. I used to go up 1PSI, if the car was fully loaded. Of course, ride is better at lower pressures, but I preferred this setup.
Old 1st December 2008, 18:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post

33F/31R used to work for me with same tyres. I used to go up 1PSI, if the car was fully loaded. Of course, ride is better at lower pressures, but I preferred this setup.
IMO since the Dzire ZDi is heavier than SWIFT VDi they suggest 32F,29R
As we drive a lighter car we shall go with 1 Psi less than mentioned.

As Kuttapanji rightly said these specifications mentioned by the Maruti are specifically for better ride feel and comfort, but some would like to have to have different setup for handling and driving pleasure

Last edited by thereal : 1st December 2008 at 18:59.
Old 1st December 2008, 20:17   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereal View Post
IMO since the Dzire ZDi is heavier than SWIFT VDi they suggest 32F,29R
As we drive a lighter car we shall go with 1 Psi less than mentioned.
I drive my dzire vdi with 31F and 28R.The wheel used to bounce with the recommended 36F and 33 R.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks