Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2016, 20:18   #421
BHPian

re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped

Airbag warning problems in Tucson are usually due to a flaky SRS connector under each front seat. Get the vehicle scanned by Hyundai Scanner and it often pin-points the fault to specific location/connector. If it's the connector issue, disconnecting the battery and cleaning the connector with electrical contact cleaner usually helps.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 19th April 2016 at 20:21.
Old 5th June 2016, 12:26   #422
BHPian

re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped

I'm having trouble with the steering wheel, it became extremely hard after I got the power steering pump repaired. The reason to repair the power steering pump was leakage. The guy who repaired the pump ruined it totally and now the steering has become very hard. I'm planning to replace the power steering pump, but the guys at Hyundai are saying it could be the steering rack and that I should try a steering rack overhaul. Since the steering problem started only after the pump was repaired I'm leaning towards replacing the steering pump. Do you guys think it could be the steering rack? If yes any idea how much does that cost?

On a totally different subject, can anyone tell me that should I replace the flywheel when replacing the clutch plate, is that something mandatory in the Tucson.
Old 10th June 2016, 10:41   #423
BHPian

Reviving this thread as I bought a 2006 tucson and have left it at Bay 6 for some much needed TLC. The car wobbles on braking at >80kmph. Obviously, the rotors are bent. Since the cost of new hyundai rotors is upwards of 20k when you add up OE pads, wondering if any aftermarket rotors are available or rotors from other cars are a bolt on fit. Anyone have ideas?
Old 17th August 2016, 07:48   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankarbn View Post
Reviving this thread as I bought a 2006 tucson and have left it at Bay 6 for some much needed TLC. The car wobbles on braking at >80kmph. Obviously, the rotors are bent. Since the cost of new hyundai rotors is upwards of 20k when you add up OE pads, wondering if any aftermarket rotors are available or rotors from other cars are a bolt on fit. Anyone have ideas?
So I replaced with OE rotors and Brembo brake pads that DV had in stock. This car has expensive OE spare parts - more expensive than my e46 320i was, really. But the fact that it drives like (almost) a sedan, has loads of space and practical features makes you forget that!
Old 19th October 2016, 15:36   #425
BHPian

Quote:
So I replaced with OE rotors and Brembo brake pads that DV had in stock. This car has expensive OE spare parts - more expensive than my e46 320i was, really. But the fact that it drives like (almost) a sedan, has loads of space and practical features makes you forget that!
So 2 months later, here I am enjoying the ride. Thanks to DV and his hawk eye precision in checking out what's what. The PCV was replaced since there was smoke from the oil dipstick cap on low revs - a Rs.1000 part that had me scared to no end. After an upgrade of tyres, pads, rotors and clutch, my car is going in for suspension overhaul. Lower arms are not bent but driveshaft bearings need a change. If anyone needs part numbers, cost of parts etc, please do not hesitate to ask.
Old 19th October 2016, 17:31   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
On a totally different subject, can anyone tell me that should I replace the flywheel when replacing the clutch plate, is that something mandatory in the Tucson.
No, I had replaced the clutch twice in the 146000km that the Tuc clocked but never replaced the flywheel.

Quote:
Reviving this thread as I bought a 2006 tucson and have left it at Bay 6 for some much needed TLC.
Congratulations. It's a nice SUV and Bay 6 should be a good choice. DV is a Tucson owner himself so he will give you the best advice.

Quote:
Yes parts have become expensive of late. Good that DV has alternatives.

Quote:
So 2 months later, here I am enjoying the ride. Thanks to DV and his hawk eye precision in checking out what's what. The PCV was replaced since there was smoke from the oil dipstick cap on low revs - a Rs.1000 part that had me scared to no end. After an upgrade of tyres, pads, rotors and clutch, my car is going in for suspension overhaul. Lower arms are not bent but driveshaft bearings need a change. If anyone needs part numbers, cost of parts etc, please do not hesitate to ask.
Yes PCV is shared with the old Elantra and is not expensive at all. I remember it was @Rs.300 when I replaced mine a few years back.
Old 19th October 2016, 18:51   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

Tuc met with an accident and was scrapped!

Update:

We had an accident a few months ago while on the way to Ratnagiri. The car hit a tree and fell into a ditch (upside down). All 5 of us wearing seat belts (yes, even the 3 passengers in the rear had their belts on as it was a long journey) and survived, though with various injuries that were treated over next 2 weeks in Kolhapur. All have recovered by now. Both front airbags deployed and cabin remained largely intact, but most of the engine bay was smashed. The car was towed after a few days to a dealer in Kolhapur and then eventually to Pune. The insurance process took it's time, the car was assessed as a total loss and has now been scrapped.

My uncle who was in the front had a fracture in the left palm and some impact on the chest (strangely, in spite of the airbag) and was discharged in a couple of days. My sister, her husband and my mom who were in the back seat had major injuries. Sister sustained left hip-bone fracture, her husband had his thigh bone fractured and my mom sustained multiple rib fractures. I think this was primarily due to the fact that the car toppled. Thankfully, nobody got any head injury thanks to seat belts. And good news is that everyone is now slowly back to regular life. I came out almost unscathed, had some pain in my left collar bone, but decided to ignore it so that I could take care of others over the next 2 weeks in the hospital. It seems to have healed by now.

I will badly miss the Tucson, but I am thanking my stars that all of us survived.
anandpadhye is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 20:00   #428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Upd--------snip----ed.
Glad youre all OK. Happy that the car did it's job. It's always replaceable.
So, the new one, then?
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 14:51   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Mayank!
And you are right. The airbags did their job even though they were 11 years old!
Won't be buying anything for now. Will use the Polo more often.
Old 22nd October 2016, 15:36   #430
BHPian

Re: Tuc met with an accident and was scrapped!

Quote:
Update:

We had an accident a few months ago ....
Sorry to hear about the accident Anand. Glad to hear that all involved have already recovered or on the path to full recovery.

Please don't ignore the collar bone ailment. Do get it checked... None of us are getting any younger aren't we?
Digital Vampire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 16:53   #431
BHPian

Sorry about the accident Anand. I happen to stumble across your thread since I didn't have any opinion about Tucson. I read most of it and I am obliged to thank you for all the information. Your experiences and your attachment to your Tuc (as you call it) is amazing. Threads like these really make a difference in knowledge to those looking to learn beyond Swifts and Innovas. The legend of your car will live forever in these pages.

Good luck and wishing your family a quick recovery.
vivee90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 17:28   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Sorry to hear about the accident Anand. Glad to hear that all involved have already recovered or on the path to full recovery.

Please don't ignore the collar bone ailment. Do get it checked... None of us are getting any younger aren't we?
Thanks DV.
Yes, I am in touch with an orthopedic surgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivee90 View Post
Sorry about the accident Anand. I happen to stumble across your thread since I didn't have any opinion about Tucson. I read most of it and I am obliged to thank you for all the information. Your experiences and your attachment to your Tuc (as you call it) is amazing. Threads like these really make a difference in knowledge to those looking to learn beyond Swifts and Innovas. The legend of your car will live forever in these pages.

Good luck and wishing your family a quick recovery.
Thank you @vivee90! 8 years of ownership taught me a lot.
Old 9th December 2016, 09:49   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Update:

We had an accident a few months ago while on the way to Ratnagiri. The car hit a tree and fell into a ditch (upside down). All 5 of us wearing seat belts (yes, even the 3 passengers in the rear had their belts on as it was a long journey) and survived, though with various injuries that were treated over next 2 weeks in Kolhapur. All have recovered by now. Both front airbags deployed and cabin remained largely intact, but most of the engine bay was smashed. The car was towed after a few days to a dealer in Kolhapur and then eventually to Pune. The insurance process took it's time, the car was assessed as a total loss and has now been scrapped.

My uncle who was in the front had a fracture in the left palm and some impact on the chest (strangely, in spite of the airbag) and was discharged in a couple of days. My sister, her husband and my mom who were in the back seat had major injuries. Sister sustained left hip-bone fracture, her husband had his thigh bone fractured and my mom sustained multiple rib fractures. I think this was primarily due to the fact that the car toppled. Thankfully, nobody got any head injury thanks to seat belts. And good news is that everyone is now slowly back to regular life. I came out almost unscathed, had some pain in my left collar bone, but decided to ignore it so that I could take care of others over the next 2 weeks in the hospital. It seems to have healed by now.

I will badly miss the Tucson, but I am thanking my stars that all of us survived.
Very sad to hear about your accident. Can't even imagine how these weeks have been to you and your family. Hope you are all doing better now and maybe it's time to buy another tucson?

I was able to get rid of the airbag light when I didn't even try - apparently it was because of a loose connection in one of the ABS wires! sounds strange but the car has a clean bill of health so I don't really care about the explanation. I got the headlights sanded at 3m and it was an amazing job for less than 2000 rupees.

I also replaced driveshaft bearings, radiator assembly, few cooling system components and all the suspension parts. Engine, clutch, gearbox, tyres, cooling system and suspension taken care of and now it's the turn of the interiors to get a thorough 3m cleaning. 8 months and around 1.5lakh rupees invested in all this refurbishing and I cannot tell you how good it feels to get the car back in perfect (upgraded) stock form!! I have a brand new clock spring which I will keep around for a future requirement.

We are driving up to Jaisalmer from Bangalore next week to really enjoy what the car can offer.

Last edited by shankarbn : 9th December 2016 at 09:51. Reason: added more info
shankarbn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 10:15   #434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Very sad to hear about your accident. Can't even imagine how these weeks have been to you and your family. Hope you are all doing better now and maybe it's time to buy another tucson?
Thanks Shankar.

Yes, it was a tough time but we are all better now. The new Tucson is way to expensive and I don't really like the fluid looks. I will live without a SUV for a few years :-)

Good to see you taking care of and enjoying the Tucson. It's wonderful vehicle, I miss it.

I too got my Tuc with Airbags warning light ON when I bought it in 2008. Turned out it was a wiring issue as well (details are on the first few pages of the thread). Good to see you got the drive shaft bearings replaced, in my case, the front left axle was replaced as replacing bearings was considered risky and if the rear or 4x4 drive shaft bearings would have ever come up for a replacement, it was going to be a real ordeal. My SA was of the opinion that we should not take risks with such critical parts and replace them...

Hope you had a good trip, do post the pictures.
Old 14th May 2017, 18:43   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Hope you had a good trip, do post the pictures.
Thanks Anand. We did actually have a wonderful trip. 6000+kms in two weeks of everyday highway driving and not a beat was skipped. Added DRL and led light bar recently along with a power window roll up module. It's time now to change the timing belt so off it goes for a tune up. Hopefully, I get a remap soon too .

For now though, here's a picture of the frog at Bada Bagh, Jaisalmer.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped-18056595_10155218978458735_6396495743447050410_o.jpg  

shankarbn is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks