Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2017, 12:59   #436
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tuc met with an accident and was scrapped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankarbn View Post
Thanks Anand. We did actually have a wonderful trip. 6000+kms in two weeks of everyday highway driving and not a beat was skipped.
Wow . Full too nostalgia for me...keep them coming! I have been living without the Tuc for a year now...
Old 15th August 2017, 07:01   #437
BHPian

Re: FE update

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Congrats on the brain surgery of your Tuc, can you provide details on the gains and which maps were used for the remap? By maps I meant were european maps used or the original stock ones were edited in house? Also from which company was this remap done? Sorry for the n number of questions, just curiosity killing the cat.
Do you know any 2017 Tucson owners in Bangalore? Can you PM me and share their handles or contacts? Wanted to check something with them.

I live in Bore, and am considering the *petrol* Tucson base model. Any idea whats the Petrol Tucson's *actual* fuel efficiency in city and in highway (as opposed to the ARAI figures in the brochure or what the instrument cluster says)?

Any *Bangalore* Tucson owners in this forum? You could help me by stating *actual* Blore city FE figures (given Blore's notorious traffic), I'd be much obliged. (Based on, you know, fuel tank top-up to top-up method)
Old 25th August 2017, 16:31   #438
BHPian

re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped

I drove a 2005 Tucson few years back and very much liked it. I always wanted to own one since then, but the priorities were always different. We have a requirement for a third car and I am considering a Tucson here. This will be driven mostly on highways to commute between Bangalore and Erode (250 kms one way). We'll not do more than two trips in a month and so monthly running will not be more than 1000kms. I prefer a softroader/SUV and don't want to spend a lot on the car as it won't be used much.

I heard about a 2006 Tucson on sale through a friend and below are the details of the car.

- 105000kms on the odo, second owner
- Clutch, Timing belt and Turbo replaced
- Front suspensions replaced
- Back suspension bush replaced
- Body and interiors are good
- Piston rings are new
- New headlights
The above changes are done at 95,000 kms.

- Tyres (stock size) ran around 7500km after tyre change
- Interiors are stock with an after market audio system

I haven't seen the car yet as I had to travel around 200km to check it. My trusted mech spoke to the owner of the garage where the vehicle is being serviced and got the above details. The garage owner claims that the vehicle is in clean stock state now and would run without any issues for next few years.

I've been reading most of the Tucson related discussions here and this helped me a lot in understanding more about this vehicle. From my understanding most of the expensive parts replacement is already done in this car (going by what they claim). If this turns out to be true, is this car a good buy considering my requirement. If this is a good option, what all other things I need to check before closing this?

@anandpadhye, @Kash, @Digital Vampire,
You have spent considerable time with Tucson and know almost everything about it. It would be great if you can provide your inputs on this. Is Hyundai able to still procure the spares from Korea if needed? I don't mind waiting for few days for the spares as this won't be my primary car.

Other considerations:
I considered a used Safari but Tucson is my primary choice as this has been close to my heart since I drove it first. Scorpio isn't an option due to the bumpy ride quality. CRV and GV are other options but couldn't find any good condition ones on sale.

Thanks.
haneeshN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 13:08   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by haneeshN View Post

@anandpadhye, @Kash, @Digital Vampire,
You have spent considerable time with Tucson and know almost everything about it. It would be great if you can provide your inputs on this. Is Hyundai able to still procure the spares from Korea if needed? I don't mind waiting for few days for the spares as this won't be my primary car.

Somehow missed this post completely. It's too late now I think and you must have made a decision already I think! I loved the Tucson, as you must have seen from this detailed ownership thread. The heavy clutch and less than ideal gear-ratios are the 2 negatives of what otherwise is lovely SUV - handles so well! Parts are getting expensive as years go past but Hyundai is efficient in sourcing from Korea. If you are still looking and the 1st gen Tucson is still an option, I would say go for it with the understanding that you will have to live with the heavy clutch.

Again sorry for the delayed reply! Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 14:02   #440
BHPian

Thanks for getting back @anandpadhye. I dropped the plan of buying a Tucson as I couldn't find a well maintained car here. Finally bought a very well maintained X-Trail and enjoying it very much. I should soon come up with a ownership report for the same.

Cheers
Haneesh
haneeshN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 14:31   #441
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, even better! Congrats. looking forward to your thread.
Old 4th May 2018, 13:43   #442
BHPian

I have been waiting on the power steering pump for almost 3 weeks now, do you know any other place (online) from where I can get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Somehow missed this post completely. It's too late now I think and you must have made a decision already I think! I loved the Tucson, as you must have seen from this detailed ownership thread. The heavy clutch and less than ideal gear-ratios are the 2 negatives of what otherwise is lovely SUV - handles so well! Parts are getting expensive as years go past but Hyundai is efficient in sourcing from Korea. If you are still looking and the 1st gen Tucson is still an option, I would say go for it with the understanding that you will have to live with the heavy clutch.

Again sorry for the delayed reply! Cheers!
Old 4th May 2018, 14:24   #443
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
I have been waiting on the power steering pump for almost 3 weeks now, do you know any other place (online) from where I can get it?
I would say try Kothari Hyundai, Kharadi, Pune. You can talk to Mr. Sathe. I can also PM you a couple other numbers. They always arranged parts for my Tucson as per urgency.

Also, try this:
http://oriparts.com/8

and

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ugh-mobis.html

(I see Bangalore, Hyderabad, Vijaywada dealers contact numbers here, but I am thinking Kothari shouls also have the "MOBIS over the counter" service now.)

Last edited by anandpadhye : 4th May 2018 at 14:34.
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 17:26   #444
Senior - BHPian

I decided that, time permitting, I'll try and shed light on various inquires / misperceptions etc, even if very old, for the sake of the overall knowledge-base here in the forums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post

What I could not fathom is why clutch cover be replaced? (#23) This is just a bell housing and unless damaged due to some very creative driving over stones or bad handling in service nothing should happen to this. Am I wrong in assuming that this is the bell housing?
Yes. "Cover" is another way of naming the pressure plate, which is generally replaced along with the friction disc. Only odd thing in this case is that according to the invoice it cost less than the disc, opposite of normal!

Quote:
Thanks Sudev.

BTW, before I take the car back to Hyundai, I tried to check the clearance between the brake pad and brake disk myself - I tried to insert my business card between the disk and the pad - it does not go through!

Is this normal?

Also, tried to see if the brake caliper moves when I apply and release brake - no, there is no movement. Does this mean Tucson has fixed brake caliper with 2 pistons?
As someone else noted, by design clearance on any hydraulic disc brake caliper is practically nil and movement will not generally be perceptible - discs are not like drum brakes in this regard.

Quote:
The slight change in drift direction on acceleration, steady and de-acceleration can also be due to differential(s). Very much pronounced in front wheel drive cars.
This torque-steer is observable in many higher-powered FWD's in particular, BUT more often when wheels are slightly turned.

In a straight line, and in this case (as I think the owner eventually discovered), it would be more commonly caused by one or more worn suspension components, either tie-rod ends or control arm bushings. When torque is applied dynamically, these naturally deflect and change the static alignment settings. No use doing alignments where worn components are there, and a GOOD alignment shop has ways of checking all these beforehand and making corresponding recommendations if needed.

Quote:
I do not how far this is correct but I was told by a owner of a Tuscon that after a long speed drive on a highway not to shut off the engine immediately but to let it idle for a minute or so ...something to do with turbo spin down and excess oil seeping in to inlet manifold resulting in a "cough" of smoke at the next start.
Good advice but not exactly the right explanation. Turbos get hot and idling helps them cool down before the oil/water cooling stops circulating at shutdown. Without this procedure, yes, the center bearing gets "coked" with carbon and can begin to seize or otherwise damage the bearing and seal. Once the seal goes bad, it indeed leaks oil into the intake tract, creating bluish smoke out the tailpipe, when worse then continually, not only at startup.

Modern VW's and some other cars have an auxiliary electric water pump, that along with the radiator cooling fans keeps running some minutes after shutdown till sufficiently cooled, thus preventing this problem - a pretty smart idea.

Quote:
Of course, if it's a case of emergency braking with an intention of coming to a complete halt, I would downshift to 2nd and keep the clutch pressed as well
Once the clutch is pressed the gear position is somewhat irrelevant, so might be better off to keep both hands on the wheel and focus on maximum control in tricky avoidance manoeuvres. When it's all over / hopefully past can select whichever gear seems appropriate at leisure.

Regards,
-Eric

PS came across the thread as I'm searching for a good all-rounder... Really wish they'd continued the Tucson (Native American name pronounced Too-San, btw) till maybe 2012-15, as such they might have had better parts supply and support as an affordable pre-owned option.

Last edited by ringoism : 19th June 2022 at 17:49.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks