Old 28th August 2009, 15:04   #61
Senior - BHPian

bj96 any updates.. its a long time you updated your ownership thread
Old 28th August 2009, 20:29   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
bj96 any updates.. its a long time you updated your ownership thread
I have been posting bits and pieces on different threads. Didn't find enough time to put together some substance here. Will do it surely.

Btw, the latest is retro upgrade of my beast and my initial feelings here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1455380

My beast has safely carried me for about 5000 kilometers w/o any fuss so far. No major issues just minor niggles...wait for the half yearly review

-BJ
Old 4th October 2009, 23:24   #63
Senior - BHPian

Journey so far

Well I completed seven months with the beast and a half-yearly appraisal was long due. Better late than never. Have done about 6200kms. Mostly highway runs in and around Pune covering western ghats and Konkan beaches. I do not use it for daily ride as my office has a congested parking space and safari displaces at least two other cars.

Accessories added:
1. Llumar film all around (~12k).
2. Waxoyl paint protection (~5.2k)
3. MPR-99 Steering remote (~2.5k)
4. Garmin Nuvi 760 (~10k)
5. 12v Black and Decker Vacuum cleaner (~2.5k)

Mileage:
~11kmpl pre retro upgrade.
Post upgrade I have done 780 kms in 57 lit. 100% AC. Last ~1000kms used System-D.

Service/Maintenance:
Total five visits to TASS- in reverse chronology w/ major work done:

1. 27/Aug:
- Retrofit upgrade
- Clutch pedal Setting (proactive by TASS)
- Brake fluid topup
- Parking bulb
Bill amount: 126/-

2. 28/Jul
- Wiper tank replaced
Bill amt: 0/- (Warranty)

3. 17/Jul
- Replaced gear shift lever boot cover and Knob
Bill amt: 0/- (warranty)

4. 1/Apr
- Roof header molding replaced rt side
- RR door handle replaced
- Waxoyl
- Gear lever replaced
Bill amt: 5.2k

5. 16/Mar
- 1st service
- Oil + filter change
- Door setting + Tail gate rattling fixed
- Gear lever boot cover replaced
Bill amt ~2.3k

Issues faced:
1. Squeaks and doors/dashboard rattling
2. Gear shift boot cover torn twice. Now looks fixed after replacing the shifter lever.
3. Wiper fluid tank leaked after ~4k kms.
4. PDI issues- few rubber caps on door vents missing, misaligned roof header molding, rear door cladding, door handle jutting out on one door, 4x4 decal missing etc.

Folowing are the new issues not yet reported to TASS.

5. IRVM does not have anti-glare lever?
6. Reversing creates too much static on FM Radio. Someone reported that TML is replacing them quietly with a new design on complaint.
7. AC Vents leaking and sometimes few drops of condensate leaks into cabin on bad roads
8. Some squeaking noise from RHS suspension in front- prominent on slow speed while descending down a ghat and applying some brake.

Issues except #1 have been fixed. The tail-gate hasn't rattled in last 1000 kms now, but the LHS doors are refusing to stay quiet

Score: 8/10.

Summary
Happy with style, ride, comfort,power and VFM.
Unhappy w/ squeaks and rattle.

-BJ

PS: Last service record of retro upgrade attached below.
Attached Thumbnails
My Tata Safari 4x4. EDIT: Sold after 11 years-retroupgrade.jpg  

Old 5th October 2009, 14:27   #64
Senior - BHPian

Both Black & White safari's are the best looking ones.You have to be prepared for yourself to live with small niggling issues rest the beast is ensured.
Happy motoring.
Old 6th October 2009, 20:35   #65
Senior - BHPian

Just a piece of info that I forgot to share earlier.

I had posted a feedback to TML after few weeks of ownership. Wrote both good and bad. As a token of appreciation of the feedback, their head customer support sent me a "Tata Motors" t-shirt and a 2009 desktop calendar. A nice gesture... little things that make you happier

Received the Safari Explorer Club welcome Kit too. Just registered at the website- haven't used it much, though.

-BJ
Old 11th October 2009, 23:24   #66
Senior - BHPian

first puncture

Frequent jaunts to the beaches and off the tarmac have left its mark- a nail in front left tyre. Noticed 19psi before I inflated it yesterday. It is again back to 23 psi today. Looks like I have to repair it soon.

Iragavas thread is inspiring, but, I do not have the kit and don't know where I can purchase it in Pune. Don't like to pay 3 digit rupees for this 10 minute job

Can someone help me with a place in Pune which does the mushroom type plug fix recommended by Bridgestone too: Indian Tyre Companies, Passenger Car Tyres ?

-BJ
Old 12th October 2009, 06:56   #67
Senior - BHPian

How much do they charge for fixing tubeless? I was charged 100 for a puncture made by a 3 inch nail. Was happy that it did only a small damage and that even air didn't leak off much even after having the nail in the tyre for a day.
Old 12th October 2009, 10:52   #68
BHPian

^ 50 bucks here in Delhi.
Old 12th October 2009, 11:57   #69
Senior - BHPian

It was a 2 inch aluminum screw, the kinda used in doors and windows in homes/furniture. Paid 70/- for puncture and 80/- for 5 wheel rotation. It was quick @ Darshan Tyres, F C Road . Also lifted one of the wheels and found it does not weigh as much as it looks like... probably ~15kg or so. Not a big task if stranded on road and have to replace the spare myself.

Few pictures of the tyre wells. The axles and wheel mount studs looked they were built for a truck- very strong.
Attached Thumbnails
My Tata Safari 4x4. EDIT: Sold after 11 years-12102009001.jpg  

My Tata Safari 4x4. EDIT: Sold after 11 years-12102009.jpg  

My Tata Safari 4x4. EDIT: Sold after 11 years-12102009005.jpg  

My Tata Safari 4x4. EDIT: Sold after 11 years-12102009003.jpg  

Last edited by bj96 : 12th October 2009 at 12:15.
Old 24th October 2009, 22:52   #70
Senior - BHPian

Headlight upgrade

Replaced the stock headlamp w/ Philps XP today. Managed to procure a pair for 900/- (poor bargaining skills ) .

The itch was to DIY. Opened the hood and inspected the area. Read the manual and referred to Dadu's post on HL leveling twice, after that, mustered enough courage to pry out the "seal" with a screw driver. Once the back cover was removed- picture was clear. It is a very easy mechanism and replacing both bulbs took less than 10 minutes. Just press the base of the bulb with one hand and use other to pull out the cable socket/grommet. Then remove the "spring" like tiny wire- which holds the bulb base back to the reflector assembly- and take out the bulb holding at the base. Take care not to touch the glass shell. Reverse steps for putting back new bulbs. Good design Tata . Found that stock lamps too were Philips.

Went for a drive to Sunny's on NH4 in the evening. Pleased with low beam visibility. High beam has also improved. Overall very satisfied with the upgrade. Just a bit of anxiety though- I have removed those green "sealed" stickers from both the covers- hope it doesn't tick off TASS.

Posting some pics below.

-BJ
Attached Thumbnails
My Tata Safari 4x4. EDIT: Sold after 11 years-24102009.jpg  

My Tata Safari 4x4. EDIT: Sold after 11 years-24102009001.jpg  

My Tata Safari 4x4. EDIT: Sold after 11 years-24102009002.jpg  

My Tata Safari 4x4. EDIT: Sold after 11 years-img_1201.jpg  

My Tata Safari 4x4. EDIT: Sold after 11 years-img_1203.jpg  

My Tata Safari 4x4. EDIT: Sold after 11 years-img_1205.jpg  

My Tata Safari 4x4. EDIT: Sold after 11 years-img_1202.jpg  

Last edited by bj96 : 24th October 2009 at 23:01. Reason: reverse steps
Old 3rd November 2009, 23:09   #71
Senior - BHPian

2nd service

My safari is back after voluntary (paid) service and oil change. The car feels better than before. Under-body squeaks and door rattles have gone, don't know for how long though. Also got back the missing rubber grommet on the tail door vent .

Service bill is attached below.
My Tata Safari 4x4. EDIT: Sold after 11 years-img_1244-large.jpg

Of the reported issues, radio hissing disturbance due to IRVM LCD/Camera on reverse gear- could not be fixed. I was told TML is considering a "design change" for VX models. In GX, apparently, they have done away with this camera due to this issue? The pilot door switch is better, but, it isn't perfect yet. Most things reported were attended under warranty. However, I was charged for two things (highlighted in the bill)- AC Servo motor relay (parts) and fixing it (labour). I had reported that my AC vents blow all over except on my face and they suck outside air even in recirculation mode. They told me this relay was missing on my car and I can't get a warranty on parts missing. TML accepts warranty only if old parts are returned to them. Now, how can this be missing on a car only ~8 months old and done 6500 kms? Why it was not noticed so far- the car went to them four times before? I thought AC cooling was fine and only vents/deflector vanes were not properly adjusted. I am planning to write to TML- any other suggestions guys? So, another PDI point for potential/new owners- watch out for this missing relay.

Another thing, booking a service online at TML customer support website appears to be broken. I booked and got a confirmation email from TML, but, when I landed at BuB, Wakad- TASS had no clue about my booking. I was treated like a "walk-in" customer.

Cheers,

-BJ
Old 6th November 2009, 09:16   #72
Senior - BHPian

Latest mileage report: 541 km/47.9L
So, it has reduced indeed. I used to get 12+ in similar driving conditions before retro upgrade. However, I am happy with the way safari responds to accelerator now- no complaints.
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 6th November 2009 at 09:35. Reason: typo
Old 6th November 2009, 09:56   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Latest mileage report: 541 km/47.9L
So, it has reduced indeed. I used to get 12+ in similar driving conditions before retro upgrade. However, I am happy with the way safari responds to accelerator now- no complaints.
-BJ
I also used to get 12+. Then got 10+ and finally 11 yesterday. But all that with driving in a very soberly.
Old 7th November 2009, 20:15   #74
Senior - BHPian

Customer Education Program (CEP)

Just back from my TASS- B U Bhandari, Wakad. A CEP was arranged by TML and TASS together. TML's Pune region Customer Care Mgr was present himself. There was a session on normal do's and dont's for cars, mostly reproduction of user manual followed by one-on-one with car owners for their issues on respective car and then a walk through BuB Workshop facility. Saw some mean looking safaris hoisted on the jack. Event was attended by Safari, Indica and Vista owners. Everybody was given coupons for free wash and 10% discount on next service. A good PR exercise, from TML

My takeaways from the event:

1. Charge for AC Servo relay will be refunded

2. IRVM LCD and radio hissing issue referred to design centre- will be rectified in few days.

3. No Turbojet/premium diesel in Safari DiCORs as these fuels have not been tested enough in TML lab. Hence, they do not have enough data points to troubleshoot.... probably certain chemical in the premium fuel affect the sensitive injectors adversely. All their testing happens on normal diesel only.

4.Use System-D only occassionally, if needed, e.g. to reduce black smokes.

Cheers,

-BJ
Old 12th November 2009, 14:13   #75
BHPian

BJ96 pls let us know how they resolve your IRVM LCD and hissing noise issue. They had advised me they would replace teh IRVM under warranty but its been more than 45 days since then and they keep saying spares are not available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Just back from my TASS- B U Bhandari, Wakad. A CEP was arranged by TML and TASS together. TML's Pune region Customer Care Mgr was present himself. There was a session on normal do's and dont's for cars, mostly reproduction of user manual followed by one-on-one with car owners for their issues on respective car and then a walk through BuB Workshop facility. Saw some mean looking safaris hoisted on the jack. Event was attended by Safari, Indica and Vista owners. Everybody was given coupons for free wash and 10% discount on next service. A good PR exercise, from TML

My takeaways from the event:

1. Charge for AC Servo relay will be refunded

2. IRVM LCD and radio hissing issue referred to design centre- will be rectified in few days.

3. No Turbojet/premium diesel in Safari DiCORs as these fuels have not been tested enough in TML lab. Hence, they do not have enough data points to troubleshoot.... probably certain chemical in the premium fuel affect the sensitive injectors adversely. All their testing happens on normal diesel only.

4.Use System-D only occassionally, if needed, e.g. to reduce black smokes.

Cheers,

-BJ

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks