Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2009, 15:01   #61
BHPian

Flying Laxman (The guy playing dead under the 550) ,..NIOC Moderator has booked one (4x4) and should be taking delivery in a week.
Knowing him he is going to use this along with his jeeps !! Let me see if I can get him to post his views.
Old 16th March 2009, 15:15   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I see it as over-priced and comparing it to other over-priced vehicles is not going anywhere.
Well since the Xenon is currently new in the market, it wouldnt be fair to compare its price with those of 20-30 year old well-used M&M products, would it?

New-to-new is the only comparison that works here and with the Major at 6.something and Gurkha at 9.something lakhs, it would be hard to find fault with the Xenon's pricing at 9.something too considering what it provides.

As for the rest, lets wait for the guys out there to test out the 4x4 and let us know.
Old 16th March 2009, 15:43   #63
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Well since the Xenon is currently new in the market, it wouldnt be fair to compare its price with those of 20-30 year old well-used M&M products, would it?

New-to-new is the only comparison that works here and with the Major at 6.something and Gurkha at 9.something lakhs, it would be hard to find fault with the Xenon's pricing at 9.something too considering what it provides.

As for the rest, lets wait for the guys out there to test out the 4x4 and let us know.
Steer - We are now comparing the Xenon with a Mahindra Jeep ?? instead of comparing it with the Mahindra Gateway !

So often we do this mistake of comparing a product against something totally off segment.

Xenon is a Pickup Truck aimed at rural / semi urban terrain where one need to carry load. I belive the 4x4 is provided more for traction rather than off-road... I might be wrong here but this is just my view.

Re: Test Drive - Though i have access to the Truck i dont have time, Plan to pick up the truck this friday ....
Old 16th March 2009, 15:54   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV View Post
Steer - We are now comparing the Xenon with a Mahindra Jeep ?? instead of comparing it with the Mahindra Gateway !....
Different discussion, man. Its all on the previous few posts.

Let us know how it compares with the old (export) TL4x4, when you drive it. I suspect it wont be as good - not with the skirts it has grown in the process.
Old 16th March 2009, 16:15   #65
BHPian

Getaway is better...

From initial impression,Getaway looks better than the Xenon although it has a bit more muscle...Engine of Getaway should be far superior though...
Old 16th March 2009, 17:44   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
From initial impression,Getaway looks better than the Xenon although it has a bit more muscle...Engine of Getaway should be far superior though...
Getaway may look better than the Xenon but I feel that the Xenon would be a better pick up because
  1. Xenon was designed as a pick up and then the Sumo was made. It was the other way round for the Getaway.
  2. In the getaway the chassis has been elongated to fit the load bay without altering the wheelbase which is not the case in Xenon, thereby making it a more stable vehicle with load.
Old 16th March 2009, 18:55   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV View Post
Xenon is a Pickup Truck aimed at rural / semi urban terrain where one need to carry load. I belive the 4x4 is provided more for traction rather than off-road... I might be wrong here but this is just my view.
Isnt the Xenon marketed a lifestyle vehicle? Doesnt that mean it is meant as a pickup and for city use? For rural use there is the Tata 207
Old 17th March 2009, 09:46   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Isnt the Xenon marketed a lifestyle vehicle? Doesnt that mean it is meant as a pickup and for city use? For rural use there is the Tata 207
I think what he's trying to say is that it is a pick-up, not a hard core off-roader like the Classic or the Defender (refer discussions between GTO & Steer)
Old 18th March 2009, 09:45   #69
BHPian

I believe that too. But for a simple pickup use, you have the Tata 207. Why go for the Xenon? I dont believe that the Xenon will be bought to use outside the city.
Old 20th March 2009, 01:12   #70
Senior - BHPian

I personally like the All American Truck-like looks of the Xenon XT, but it always comes down to 'Reliability' when we're talking Tata cars...I just don't trust them.
And im seriously doubting the Nano too!
Old 20th March 2009, 02:21   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

Steer, I think Tata consciously overpriced this car, so that Mr. Eggwala does not even have second thoughts about buying this vehicle - TATA simply do not want this vehicle to be seen in the commercial segment. Hence use price as a deterrent - makes sense?

Okay, so having scared Mr. Eggwala away, potential customers with 10 big ones come to inspect it - these people have been bitten with a lifestyle craze. What they see is not bound to impress them, plastics, ergonomics etc play a big part here, though you are dismissing them as inconsequential. I am just surmising here - what they see may not necessarily impress them(I hope I am proved wrong, though) and they walk away.

Who is left? The hardcore offroaders. Would they buy the Xenon over a restored CJ, MM540, Gypsy etc? See the number of Jeep restoration thread on T-Bhp and you have your answer.

TATA will have to do a lot of marketing/advertising aimed at specific clientele, if Xenon has to be successful ad they are trying to open a new market(how many Getaway's did Mahindra sell?) - If they are able to somehow put it into the customer's mind that this is not a downmarket pickup truck, but a lifestyle vehicle, maybe they will sell a few.

Time will tell.
Old 25th March 2009, 07:41   #72
Senior - BHPian

I went and looked at the Xenon yesterday at the TATA dealership here. The vehicle does have a presence and at 3150mm wheel base ( Shortest Swaraj Mazda truck has 2850mm wheel base) and more than 5M length, it IS a long vehicle. The vehicle looks butch and I liked it. Certain accessories like the boot lid, bed liner, roof lights and the side rails makes it almost look like the Nissan Navarra of which I have been a fan for a long time. As per the options a canopy is also available if one wants.

Coming to the interiors, well they are not sedanesque but not bad either and please note that I'm not comparing it with Toyota, Honda or Maruti but with other TATA and Mahindra vehicles. As a matter of fact, dash board finish is better than the base version Safari. Driving position, I found it a bit low, seat height adjustment should have been there. Also the gear lever is a bit too tall for comfort with the low seating position. Another drawback is the rear seat is a bit too upright but otherwise there is ample space for 5 people.

One thing that impressed me was that TATA has understood teh use this vehicle is going to put through and has provided an underbody protection plate with rubber cushioning for the engine sump extending right upto where the cabin starts thereby protecting the brake and fuel line.

The car I saw was decked up with various accessories like the boot lid, bead liner, luggage carrier and a bull bar/nudge guard up front, making the package visually very attractive.

Even the equipment package is not bad with LSD, ABS+EBD (dealer brochure states it but the official brochure issilent), alloys, heated ORVMs, etc as standard.

Waiting to TD the vehicle to see whether it has some punch or is it all show and no go.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 25th March 2009 at 07:58.
Old 25th March 2009, 12:09   #73
BHPian

you must be talking about this!

This is the truck at concorde hyderaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I went and looked at the Xenon yesterday at the TATA dealership here. The vehicle does have a presence and at 3150mm wheel base ( Shortest Swaraj Mazda truck has 2850mm wheel base) and more than 5M length, it IS a long vehicle. The vehicle looks butch and I liked it. Certain accessories like the boot lid, bed liner, roof lights and the side rails makes it almost look like the Nissan Navarra of which I have been a fan for a long time. As per the options a canopy is also available if one wants.

Coming to the interiors, well they are not sedanesque but not bad either and please note that I'm not comparing it with Toyota, Honda or Maruti but with other TATA and Mahindra vehicles. As a matter of fact, dash board finish is better than the base version Safari. Driving position, I found it a bit low, seat height adjustment should have been there. Also the gear lever is a bit too tall for comfort with the low seating position. Another drawback is the rear seat is a bit too upright but otherwise there is ample space for 5 people.

One thing that impressed me was that TATA has understood teh use this vehicle is going to put through and has provided an underbody protection plate with rubber cushioning for the engine sump extending right upto where the cabin starts thereby protecting the brake and fuel line.

The car I saw was decked up with various accessories like the boot lid, bead liner, luggage carrier and a bull bar/nudge guard up front, making the package visually very attractive.

Even the equipment package is not bad with LSD, ABS+EBD (dealer brochure states it but the official brochure issilent), alloys, heated ORVMs, etc as standard.

Waiting to TD the vehicle to see whether it has some punch or is it all show and no go.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Xenon – the million buck, ahem, truck!-image034.jpg  

Old 25th March 2009, 12:16   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not new, is standard on the Safari as well - though the implementation could be different on this one (havent seen it).

Quote:
Even the equipment package is not bad with LSD, ABS+EBD (dealer brochure states it but the official brochure issilent),.
I would trust the manufacturer's brochure rather than the dealer's. Specs on their website did not seem to mention ABS/EBD.
Old 25th March 2009, 12:17   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
This is the truck at concorde hyderaba
Nope went to Autofin, Secunderabad

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks