Team-BHP - Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 196,000 km, 9 years & 8 months up! EDIT: Sold to a Palio lover!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 196,000 km, 9 years & 8 months up! EDIT: Sold to a Palio lover! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/56553-fiat-palio-stile-multijet-196-000-km-9-years-8-months-up-edit-sold-palio-lover-24.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by architect (Post 2662988)
That's the whole point Mr Sharma was making. When you change the P S fluid after so long, the seals give way and leak. Then the entire assembly has to be replaced.

If I'd known, I would have kept on changing the P S fluid every 20,000 km.

Architect , that's news for me. Changing the P.S fluid at 20K seems a good idea to avoid leakage issues at a later stage .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravi Yadav (Post 2663072)
Architect , that's news for me. Changing the P.S fluid at 20K seems a good idea to avoid leakage issues at a later stage .

It is not as if the seals will DEFINITELY leak if I change PS fluid. His advice is based on the practical experience that it has happened in cars where he has done it at such mileages. I can obviously take the risk and change it. See, if I don't change it for ever, the PS assembly will give up one day. If I change it now, I am only taking a minor risk of bringing up that future assembly replacement earlier. Only a risk, mind you.

At the end of the day, it's just one of those decisions in life and procrastination is my true inner nature. :)

Did Delhi-Lansdowne-Delhi yesterday. Took 5 hours to do a distance of (surprise, surprise) 259 km as per car odo and 295 km as per GPS. Does that mean an odo under-reading of 13.8%. That means the car actually gives 13.8% more FE? The Palio gives less FE than the Swift diesel but if you factor in this difference, then? :eek:

I will check this in more detail. Incidentally the car speedo and GPS are almost dead accurate but the distance covered has such a huge variation?

BTW, got an FE of 21.46 kpl for the trip. Traffic, atleast on return side was mad western UP as usual. I think the secret was no AC and no triple digit speeds. Also, the climb to Landowne was compensated by the return with hardly any throttle input with the engine being run on its own momentum due to slope.

Of course, the rattles were crazy. Blame bad road surfaces for it.

The First Generation Palio had a good amount of error that translated to the infamous mileage perceptions of the FIAT brand. I guess they never learned from their mistake.

I double checked the figures again: there's no mistake.

By odometer: 79443-78910 = 533 km
By GPS: 295 + 16 +314 = 625 km

Now that's a variation of about 17.26%! Does the GPS give errors when you're ascending descending hills? Because I drove from a height of 100 m above MSL to 1700 m above MSL then back to 1200 m above MSL then back to 1600 m above MSL and then back to 100 m above MSL. With all this ups and downs, will the GPS show a wrong reading? Logically it shouldn't.

It could be possible as the gps calculates the speed by triangulating atleast 3 satellites. Since you are moving up/down in a slope gradient devaition could be possible. Try to check with gps in straights. It will give clear idea.

Regards,
Vijay

In the city it shows 20 km on my daily commute of 18.4 km. But then it rounds off 19.xxx to 20, so in the plains the variation is not more than 10%

Quote:

Originally Posted by architect (Post 2672128)
Does the GPS give errors when you're ascending descending hills? Because I drove from a height of 100 m above MSL to 1700 m above MSL then back to 1200 m above MSL then back to 1600 m above MSL and then back to 100 m above MSL. With all this ups and downs, will the GPS show a wrong reading? Logically it shouldn't.

I agree with Vijay. GPS data could be erronous especially on the hills where the visibility of satellites constantly change. You could check the position error under such circumstances and it should be less than 10m for a reasonably correct position and speed. Also the number of satellites used would give an idea. The more the better.

BTW, what GPS do you use? Sorry if I missed it in the other pages.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bejoy (Post 2672176)
I agree with Vijay. GPS data could be erronous especially on the hills where the visibility of satellites constantly change. You could check the position error under such circumstances and it should be less than 10m for a reasonably correct position and speed. Also the number of satellites used would give an idea. The more the better.

BTW, what GPS do you use? Sorry if I missed it in the other pages.

GPS visibility in the hills could be problematic because of the 'shadows' of the hills. I use MapMyIndia Blaupunkt Lucca Travel Pilot.

Somewhere over the last week, the car crossed the 80,000 km mark. I know I drive more than some people and less than others, but watching the odometer tick over another 10,000 km milestone was an event of note.

The fact that suspension issues happen in pairs is evident because after having replaced lower arms in front on one side, I replaced caliper pins on the same side. Today I had to replace the caliper pin on the other side too. Instead of undergoing a complete suspension overhaul, I am dealing with this in parts.

A detailed 4 yr review is still two months away. I shall probably finish 83,000 km or so till then.

Same old GPS story:

Delhi (Ashram Chowk) to Lansdowne (Fairydale cottage next to GMVN guest house): 262 km on car odo, 300 km on GPS!

Quote:

Originally Posted by architect (Post 2697145)
Same old GPS story:

Delhi (Ashram Chowk) to Lansdowne (Fairydale cottage next to GMVN guest house): 262 km on car odo, 300 km on GPS!

I remember reading a report that first gen Palio's used to underread. The report also said a +/-6% error is allowed as per Indian regulations and while other manufacturers exploit it by erring on the higher side to show better FE, Fiat erred on the lesser side. As per the report, Fiat "corrected" this in 1.2nv version.

Not sure how much of this was true and if they again erred on the lower side with Palio Stile!

Architect, we both have been doing the Palio ownership reviews for the past few years now. I bought mine in October 2008 and have done 64,000 odd KM so far. You've done a bit more than I have.

I have been dealing with the following in my car

1) Entire clutch assembly was replaced once due to hard clutch.
2) GoodYear stock tyres were replaced at 55,000 KM with Yokohama A-drive 185/70 R13. The car runs much smoother and I can FEEL the greater grip especially while braking hard. With my old over-worn Goodyears, I could hear and feel the car skidding when braked hard.
3) Recently had another problem of the clutch getting stuck. Got that fixed with a lot of agony. Read here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...auto-pune.html
4) I've recently had some problems with the air-conditioning. When I turn it on when the car is in motion, I get a sudden jerk and I hear whizzing noises from the a/c vent. Everything functions normally after that. I've noticed that the jerk is much more apparent if I turn the a/c on within a couple of minutes of starting driving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by great_guns (Post 2740586)
I've recently had some problems with the air-conditioning. When I turn it on when the car is in motion, I get a sudden jerk and I hear whizzing noises from the a/c vent. Everything functions normally after that. I've noticed that the jerk is much more apparent if I turn the a/c on within a couple of minutes of starting driving.

I used to face this issue in my esteem. Get the a/c belt and a/c clutch checked. Are you getting a screeching noise when the a/c is turned on? (similar to the timing belt noise?).

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_aditya (Post 2740646)
I used to face this issue in my esteem. Get the a/c belt and a/c clutch checked. Are you getting a screeching noise when the a/c is turned on? (similar to the timing belt noise?).

i'm not quite sure about the screech. I haven't heard anything apart from the whizz around the vents when I turn the a/c on with the car at standstill. I only notice the jerk when the car is in motion.

Is thre anyone here from Pune who can recommend a good service center who isn't out there just to fleece me out of my hard-earned money?