Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2009, 11:48   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post

If you are carrying a full load, I suggest a minimum of 30-32 psi for all the tyres. Overspeeding tends to make it hard on the tyres, especially during emergency braking, going over ruts, off the road to avoid an idiot driving into you head-on. Relax and enjoy life around you.

If you go hard into a pot hole and bend your rim, get it balanced as early as possible. A few hundred kms with a bent rim is enough to do considerable damage.

Always rotate all your tyres including the spare. This will give you even wear and tear and when you replace tyres, buy all 5 new. Just imagine at this rate, you will probably be on your 3rd set before you hit 75000 kms.

Hey, Thanks for that! After this very early damage, been driving a lot more sedately - this gives me a lot better FE and certainly lower maintenance costs. Been getting the alignment checked and done every 5000 kms - do you suggest tyre rotation every 10k kms or earlier?
Old 18th June 2009, 12:21   #17
BHPian

Wow, stunning life from the old faithful!

I drive a 2001 V2 DLS which is still going strong at only 62k - it wasn't used a lot between 2005-08. 8 years old and still running without too many complaints.
Old 18th June 2009, 13:05   #18
BHPian

My experience with the indica has truly been very memorable .

Kms clocked : 35,000
Model : DLX turbo
Year : 2006
Driving profile : Mildly aggressive
75 % in city with A.C
the rest on expressways with A.C
Milage : 14 -15 in the city
18 on highways.
Highway cruise speed : 120 - 140 kms

As u see - this has given me tremendous VFM over the years. Absolutely robust - very strong body. I once hit a tavera on its backside on an incline - just a scratch on the bumper - but the tavera got a dent - had to give the dirver 600 rupees. Gear shifting is really smooth - much smoother than my brother -in -law's swift Vxi. A.C very powerfull - even on a hot summer day (40 degrees) the cooling knob is at just about 40 % with fan speed at level 1 - and it becomes cold after 5 min.!

I've not experienced any rattles, nor do I have a problem with the closing of the driver side window .
It's spacious to travel with 5 people and some luggage. Build quality - must say was good if not excellent - however the paint quality with a waxoyl polish has maintained the car in a brand new shining state.

Repairs - just once - changes some octopus chain last year - that costed me 900 rupees. Otherwise just stuck to the service manual and did whatever was necessary at the specified intervals.

Now to speak about the flip side that i'v expereienced ..:

1. I found the clutch and the accelerator to be very heavy.In slow moving traffic it is quite painfull on
the knees to clutch - declutch.
2. The performance of the car in first and second gear I feel, is very sluggish - much to be desired.
It's only after crossing 40 in third gear does the smoothness settle in.
3. Turbo - hmm - ok so so - but once it kicks in the car accelerates effortlessly.
4. A.C on introduces load on the engine - that visibly decreases performance.

The car has served me extremly well.
Sold it off last week for 2.4 Lakhs -and have booked a Getz Crdi.
But i miss this car !
Old 18th June 2009, 13:13   #19
R_R
BHPian

@discoverwild

Great, direct report. I have two Indica's, a 2003 DLS and a 2007 DLG. Very happy with both, and fully agree with your assessment. My wife drives the DLG and we have the power window issue also, but on the passenger side. One issue: I find the DLG has a somewhat harsher ride than the DLS. Adjusting the tyre pressure helps somewhat. Anyone else notice this?
Old 18th June 2009, 13:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One night, I enter a bunk to fill in diesel and the guy inadvertently puts in a litre of petrol, before I can stop him. It is close to 10.30 and I am 50 kms away from home. Call my friend who runs a Maruti A.S.S and he asks me to tank up on diesel. So, I fill her up to the brim, bringing the ratio to 1:30.

Sir, what ratio is this?

Once we had filled 10 litres petrol and 30 litres diesel while refuelling entirely by mistake and my car ran smooth. But thats a 04 Indigo with 92K on clock.
Old 18th June 2009, 22:26   #21
BHPian

[quote=srinivasmhn;1350662]Mar- 2008 Indica DLG, run 36K Kms. As of now no major problems
Some minor niggling issues can live with it. Problem with only
flat tyres.
Change to Tubeless.
Old 18th June 2009, 23:19   #22
BHPian

Very good report .

I have the same issue with the passenger side window (need to hold it while closing or have to pull it down 2-3 times to close properly.
Else every thing is fine.

Model : DLX turbo
Year : 2006
Kms clocked : 98,000
Tyres : 185/60 R14 appolo accelare sportz with alloys (first set 195/60R14 Michelin PP2)
Driving :75 % in city with A.C
the rest on expressways with A.C
Milage : 15 -16 in the city, 20 on highways.
Highway cruise speed : 100 - 110 kms

Replaced Clutch @ 45000 odo
Replaced all the shock absorbers @ 90,000 odo
Replaced timing belt, AC & Power stearing belt @ 90,000
Old 18th June 2009, 23:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

nitin, how much did the apollo and michelin tyres cost you ?
Old 18th June 2009, 23:55   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
nitin, how much did the apollo and michelin tyres cost you ?
The michelin was 3.9K per tyre in 2006
and appolo acelere sportz was 3.3K per tyre in 2008
Old 19th June 2009, 07:34   #25
R_R
BHPian

I also find that the turbo version is a real pocket-rocket, especially compared to the earlier non-turbos. Love driving my wife's DLG, only downside being the earlier-mentioned harder suspension, which makes the car bounce around a bit more than my older DLS.
Old 20th June 2009, 07:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
Hey, Thanks for that! After this very early damage, been driving a lot more sedately - this gives me a lot better FE and certainly lower maintenance costs. Been getting the alignment checked and done every 5000 kms - do you suggest tyre rotation every 10k kms or earlier?
5000 kms would be nice if you can do it. A 10000 km run has a greater chance for an unbalanced tyre to show uneven wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_payne View Post
Wow, stunning life from the old faithful!
I drive a 2001 V2 DLS which is still going strong at only 62k - it wasn't used a lot between 2005-08. 8 years old and still running without too many complaints.
One more happy Indica owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samatre View Post
Now to speak about the flip side that i'v expereienced ..:
1. I found the clutch and the accelerator to be very heavy.In slow moving traffic it is quite painfull on
the knees to clutch - declutch.
2. The performance of the car in first and second gear I feel, is very sluggish - much to be desired.
It's only after crossing 40 in third gear does the smoothness settle in.
3. Turbo - hmm - ok so so - but once it kicks in the car accelerates effortlessly.
4. A.C on introduces load on the engine - that visibly decreases performance.
But i miss this car !
Unless you are riding your clutch, this shouldn't be hard. My clutch got hard only at around 105000kms and after the replacement at 107000, is pretty neat. Can't compare with a petrol car though.
Turbo-charged cars tend be sluggish initially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
@discoverwild

Great, direct report. I have two Indica's, a 2003 DLS and a 2007 DLG. Very happy with both, and fully agree with your assessment. My wife drives the DLG and we have the power window issue also, but on the passenger side. One issue: I find the DLG has a somewhat harsher ride than the DLS. Adjusting the tyre pressure helps somewhat. Anyone else notice this?
Add one more happy Indica owner, or should I say two more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

Sir, what ratio is this?

Once we had filled 10 litres petrol and 30 litres diesel while refuelling entirely by mistake and my car ran smooth. But thats a 04 Indigo with 92K on clock.
Hi Headers,
I meant, 1 litre petrol accidentally added and 30 lts diesel topped up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan View Post
Very good report .

Replaced Clutch @ 45000 odo
Replaced all the shock absorbers @ 90,000 odo
Replaced timing belt, AC & Power stearing belt @ 90,000
Thanks, Nithin. Do you drive hard? The clutch should have lasted you longer.
Old 20th June 2009, 13:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
One issue: I find the DLG has a somewhat harsher ride than the DLS. Adjusting the tyre pressure helps somewhat. Anyone else notice this?
Simple - The DLS runs on 13" rims and 75 profile tyres while the DLG runs on 14" rims with 65 profile tyres. Lower aspect ratio = Harsher ride. You found the remedy too.

During the next tyre upgrade go in for 175/65 R14 (God knows when it will be though ). Better ride quality and not much difference in economy. Anything larger might impact FE.
Old 20th June 2009, 14:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Simple - The DLS runs on 13" rims and 75 profile tyres while the DLG runs on 14" rims with 65 profile tyres. Lower aspect ratio = Harsher ride. You found the remedy too.
The 13 inch ones were 165/65R13 and the 14inch ones were 175/65R14. Never saw a 75 profile tyre in Indica.

Last edited by trrk : 20th June 2009 at 14:10.
Old 20th June 2009, 14:59   #29
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
During the next tyre upgrade go in for 175/65 R14
Thanks for that. I'll try it whenever I need to change the tyres. Will be a while though, I guess.
Old 20th June 2009, 15:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

trrk, even the DLG/DLX turbo and all dicors (even the DLS) comes with 165/65 R14. I think only some indigos/indica vista come with 175/64R14.

Some Indica DLE's had 155/80 R13. But havent seen any with 75 profile as stock

Last edited by greenhorn : 20th June 2009 at 15:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks